Green Flash Anniversary Ale 2004 - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Anniversary Ale 2004Green Flash Anniversary Ale 2004

rAvg: 4
Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-07-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.68/5  rDev -8%

Limited Edition 22 ounce Bottle - #313 of 6000 (...40 bbl batch?). It has a beautiful label (basic, but nice) and the gold foil cover is a nice touch.

It pours a dark mahogany body with gleaming ruby accents beneath a creamy khaki head that holds fairly well before settling, and leaves some nice splashes of lace.

The nose offers a very nice combination of caramelish malt, citrusy/piney hops, and an apple-like fruitiness... but some higher alcohols intervene and disgrace it.

In the mouth it's initially crisp and zesty/airy as it crosses the palate, but it softens a bit as it warms. It's medium-full bodied and has a very fine bubbled, natural carbonation.

The flavor mirrors the aroma, delivering a lightly toasty and caramelish malt awash in bright, piney and citrusy (mostly orange) hop flavors, and accented by an apple-like yeasty fruitiness. Unfortunately, the higher alcohols become quite a bit more apparent as it warms.

Overall, it's an interesting beer. I'm not sure I'd call it a barleywine (and it's not listed as such on the label ...it's more of an American strong ale. Regardless, it's a nice attempt with a healthy dose of heavy-handed California brewed Pacific north west hop bravado... but it still has a major flaw in the higher alcohols.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle 4801/6000

Appearance: Ruby red sherry cask whisky, with a decent head.

Smell: Robust citrus hops, but with a spike of alcohol.

Taste: The malt is round and chewy, the hops piney and pungent, with a bittersweet chocolate mouthfeel. Recommended for those who, like me, enjoy dancing on the fine line between Barleywines and I2PAs.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Limited Edition 22 ounce Bottle - #1029 of 6000.

Presentation: Thin metallic Ferrero Rocher style gold foil encapsulates the crown cap and upper neck of the Bomber. Unwrapped the crown cap is revealed as a dark blue affair with, erm… well a green flash on it. White thin strip label at the reverse of the bottles base states that this is Limited Edition 1209 / 6000 and signed by Brew Master, Chuck Silva. Front has the words “Green Flash Brewing Co. 2 Second Anniversary Ale”. Bottom right of the label states that this is 10.0% Alc. by Vol.

Appearance: Ruby mahogany body, rich and deep with pastel chestnut browns in the dark and luminescent dark crimson reds when backlit. How fitting that I inadvertently chose my Stone Old Guardian Glass for this one….. divine, or maybe satanic, intervention…I do wonder!?. Light tan brown head forms quickly during the pour, but it settles down to a fine bubbled ¼” Vicars collar. Lovely looking head with some excellent lacing and overall a very impressive presentation I have to say.

Nose: Caramel laden bitter toffee apples and a stark symphonic hop profile abound in the aromas. Higher alcohols and a raw hop oil evolutionary punch, has a mixed hop profile that confuses, compounds and confers that this is most definitely a Californian Barleywine, rather than an American one!

Taste: WOW – first off, this is so good from the get go, you know those brews that just impress you from the starting pistol, well this is one of them. Is this distilled or brewed??? Attractive stomach punching hop bitterness drags the intestinal muscles into action immediately. Whilst the sharp solvent based hop fractions are quickly vaporized into the nose, the thick oily and heavy hop fractions lumber down into the base beer, the viscous down charge sinks unrefined and mixes in with the heavy malt bitumen’s which already bubble in the base of the tower. Whilst some additional fractional distillation in a kettle type Reboiler may very well add some refinement to this Barleywine, I have to say right now that I like the raw pungent feel of this bad boy. It’s a West Coast Barleywine and it’s proud of its heritage it seems.

Mouthfeel: Rich malts, highly hopped bitterness and a stinging hoppy warmth synergize in the harmonic swallow. Dynamic big-ass bold SoCal Barleywine with a warming hop profile that revitalizes with each mouthful.

Drinkability: Like a pair of well worn slippers this is comfortable and solidly appealing to resident Californians, yet at times the ‘new clothes’ feel of the raw hops lend enough to shock one into re-examining this bitter brew. If I had a 750ml of this I would have no problems supping the extra 8 ounces.

Overall: This reminds me so much of a young Old Guardian, I really cannot believe that I selected the Stone Old Guardian glass for this one without any pre-selective conscious thought, or at least I think that now, I only bought the OG glass a few weeks ago!!! That said, I can safely add my name to the long illustrious list of SoCal BA’s that have (had?) a very low opinion of Green Flash to date, I know for a fact that I have had two of their ‘regular’ beers and never even reviewed them such was my lethargy towards them.

This cost me $3.99 for the Bomber, not exactly a “impulse pick-up” brew, so would I recommend this one?, erm….you know…..I think I would, even to those that have tried the rather staid & boring Green Flash brews in the past and may question me.

Tell me Stone brewed this on April 1 and called it Green Flash….and I may believe you. It’s that good.

Nearly Highly Recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just like EyeChart, I have not been to enthusiastic about Green Flash brews in the past, but this is a seriously good beer! A great looking beer, it poured a dark red color that you can barley see through, and with a great tan head that stuck to the glass like glue. The smell was hard to detect at first, but after a little swirling I could detect the nice hop scent but not much else. The taste however was excelent. There was a nice maltiness to the beer in the very beginning but then it quickly blasts you with a great hop flavor and a very dry pine like aftertaste leaves you wanting more! The 10% abv is not even detectable. I do not think I would want to cellar this one as it tastes so good right now....I'll have to pick up more of this for sure.

Bottle #1293/6000

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Green Flash Anniversary Ale 2004 from Green Flash Brewing Co.