2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast I.P.A.Green Flash West Coast I.P.A.

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Ratings: 5,170 | Reviews: 1,631 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

A few months ago, Untappd started sending me monthly recaps of what I drank. I track a lot of beers, and now look forward to that email. It tells me my favorite style, the number of beers I drank, popular pictures I posted, and more. Last month, my favorite style was IPA. The month before it was stouts, which makes sense… it was the winter! Anyway, I am a hop head (self proclaimed) so I love a good IPA. Some, especially on Twitter, are calling this a double IPA. I mean, the beer packs 95 IBUs. That is BIG for an IPA. I can’t wait to see what this bad boy smells and tastes like.

In the Glass: This is a good looking IPA. It has a thick, fleeting head and the lace just hangs on for dear life. Some of it just sticks to the side of the glass begging to be drank. When I swirl it around in the glass, which I do quite often with beer and wine, the head foams up and leaves a thin layer of frothy white on top. Let’s dig in.

Nose: Whoa… that is a PUNCH of hops. I am pretty sure there is just a pile of hops sitting in the glass waiting to be enjoyed. Holy cow. I love hoppy beers, and when I read this had 95 IBUs I got excited… I guess that is what 95 IBUs smells like!

Flavor: The flavor is NOT what I expected. When I pour n IPA, one that is often called a double IPA, I expect the hoppy nose… which I got. But I also expect some hops on the palate. I get those, don’t get me wrong. But I might as well have just sucked on a pine needle. I am not sure that is a bad thing, but the flavor is not as much hop as it is pine. The flavor is good, but again… not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is good. The beer appears to be thick in the glass, but isn’t on the tongue. It slides down smooth, with a punch of hops and a hint of carbonation. I normally am not that big on bubbles, but lately I have been opening my mind to bubbles. The pine needles hit you about halfway back, and then it leads to a bitter, strong aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is the best part. Well, the smell is the best part. But the aftertaste is nice. It sticks around for a while, and is somewhat dry with a hint of bitterness on the swallow. It has a professional finish… like an IPA that has been around the block a few times. The aftertaste has me longing for the last drop.

This is a good beer. It doesn’t taste like it has 95 IBUs. It smells like it does, but doesn’t taste like it. I could just sit here and smell this all day long. I have never licked a Christmas tree, but I have a feeling it would taste like this beer. Like I said, that isn’t a bad thing. But just not what I expected. The burp is nice, though. Anyway, I am a BIG fan of IPAs, but this one is too outside the box, even for me.

West Coast India Pale Ale - The bottle says: “NA”

05-05-2012 04:43:29 | More by rickyleepotts

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

04-20-2014 22:03:24 | More by ttylicki
humuloner22

3.59/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is alright, I have had too many great ones lately. But this one is not bad. I need to try the more hardcore ones.

Appearance: Dark golden amber. Some Head but not too much not a bad beer on the above average account.

Smell: Not a lot going on compared to others .But it was a good beer.

Taste: Enjoyable, some hops, actually strong on the hops but it also has a sweet malt backbone that balances things out. Not the best tasting beer that I have had but for a four pack you can do much better, in my opinion.

Overall: I didnt think this was a bad beer but there are better ones too. Solidly above average but not outstanding.

04-20-2014 21:59:41 | More by humuloner22

04-18-2014 15:12:32 | More by Chris77McGrath
SkinniePost

04-17-2014 23:53:15 | More by SkinniePost
Luisfcarrizo

This was one of the Best IPAs I've ever had. Really great, citrusy hop profile, a great example of the West Coast IPA.

Appearance: Somewhat dark for an IPA, sort of an burnt orange color. Not a lot of head and pretty much no lacing.

Smell: Great. You get the hops and the citrus right off the bat, but it's clear that there's enough malt here to balance.

Taste: As the label of the beer says, this beer is "Extravagantly Hopped." The citrus is enough to balance the bitterness, but if you shy away from more dry beers this wouldn't be for you.

Mouthfeel: Really nice, pretty thick mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. Not the smoothest beer ever, but at 7.3% ABV this isn't meant to be a smooth session beer anyways.

04-17-2014 21:25:52 | More by Luisfcarrizo
Greyam21

04-17-2014 13:28:58 | More by Greyam21
mvanwoerm

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

04-17-2014 03:38:23 | More by mvanwoerm
Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. from Green Flash Brewing Co.