Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

A few months ago, Untappd started sending me monthly recaps of what I drank. I track a lot of beers, and now look forward to that email. It tells me my favorite style, the number of beers I drank, popular pictures I posted, and more. Last month, my favorite style was IPA. The month before it was stouts, which makes sense… it was the winter! Anyway, I am a hop head (self proclaimed) so I love a good IPA. Some, especially on Twitter, are calling this a double IPA. I mean, the beer packs 95 IBUs. That is BIG for an IPA. I can’t wait to see what this bad boy smells and tastes like.

In the Glass: This is a good looking IPA. It has a thick, fleeting head and the lace just hangs on for dear life. Some of it just sticks to the side of the glass begging to be drank. When I swirl it around in the glass, which I do quite often with beer and wine, the head foams up and leaves a thin layer of frothy white on top. Let’s dig in.

Nose: Whoa… that is a PUNCH of hops. I am pretty sure there is just a pile of hops sitting in the glass waiting to be enjoyed. Holy cow. I love hoppy beers, and when I read this had 95 IBUs I got excited… I guess that is what 95 IBUs smells like!

Flavor: The flavor is NOT what I expected. When I pour n IPA, one that is often called a double IPA, I expect the hoppy nose… which I got. But I also expect some hops on the palate. I get those, don’t get me wrong. But I might as well have just sucked on a pine needle. I am not sure that is a bad thing, but the flavor is not as much hop as it is pine. The flavor is good, but again… not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is good. The beer appears to be thick in the glass, but isn’t on the tongue. It slides down smooth, with a punch of hops and a hint of carbonation. I normally am not that big on bubbles, but lately I have been opening my mind to bubbles. The pine needles hit you about halfway back, and then it leads to a bitter, strong aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is the best part. Well, the smell is the best part. But the aftertaste is nice. It sticks around for a while, and is somewhat dry with a hint of bitterness on the swallow. It has a professional finish… like an IPA that has been around the block a few times. The aftertaste has me longing for the last drop.

This is a good beer. It doesn’t taste like it has 95 IBUs. It smells like it does, but doesn’t taste like it. I could just sit here and smell this all day long. I have never licked a Christmas tree, but I have a feeling it would taste like this beer. Like I said, that isn’t a bad thing. But just not what I expected. The burp is nice, though. Anyway, I am a BIG fan of IPAs, but this one is too outside the box, even for me.

West Coast India Pale Ale - The bottle says: “NA”

rickyleepotts, May 05, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Ooured a slightly hazy burnt orange with a thinner but sticky white head that leaves spots of lace as it settled.Fresh raw hop aroma comes at ya hard when first opening the bottle extremely piney with big grapefruit notes as well I even noticed a touch of caramel malt as well.Well oddly enough hop dominated hop oils and resin dominate quite piney but that resiny finish is great just enough of a hint of caramel makes it a gem in my mind.A few years ago I would have thought a good beer but a little over the top for me now I take it all in,gotta love the hops.

oberon, Feb 23, 2006

mojohawk21, Mar 28, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance – This poured a big and thick orange in color with a beautiful orangish-white head that came up just right, showed great retention, and left some awesome lacing on the inside of my pint glass. This was the kind of beer that makes you want to fetch your camera.

Smell – The West Coast hops and sweetish malts are balanced just right at the nose. The sharp tangerine rind smell and the lightly-toasted malts work well together. You can just tell that this is going to taste great.

Taste – The flavors work together just as well as the smells did. There's a big rush of pine that I failed to pick up at the nose. The malts have a lot of caramel sweetness to them. This is a sharp, powerful ale.

Mouthfeel – This is a big big IPA. It's shy of full-bodied but bigger than medium. It's not overly dry but has enough dryness to shock the average drinker.

Drinkability – I wasn't expecting this from a sub-$2 beer but this heavy hitter is incredibly well done.

RoyalT, Jul 06, 2007

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

MaxT, Jul 28, 2013

Tiernan, Mar 13, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from bottle into pub glass.

A: Pours a clear burnt copper color. Voluminous cream colored head. Well carbonated with a nice layer of foam persisting the whole time and good lacing.

S: Whoa hops!! Yes, big ass piney hops. Dank and cannabinoid. Great aromatics. This screams west coast IPA.

T: Hop flavors hit immediately with a full frontal attack. The profile is big pine resin on the palate with herbal and spicy notes. Citric flavors well up from underneath on the midpalate and culminate in an orange and grapefruit juice-like aftertaste. Great bitterness all the way across the palate, lingering with a slightly astringent tingle throughout the long finish. Good malt backbone on this one, with a nice underlying sweetness buried under big ass hops.

M: Nice medium-bodied brew with good carbonation. Decent slickness.

D: Very good. This is a great IPA and easy to drink more than one.

Overall, a superb effort by Green Flash. Quintessential west coast IPA - very appropriately named. Everything clicks with this brew. Very impressed.

imperialstout27, Apr 23, 2010

SanFranJake, Aug 06, 2014

BenTherHppedThat, Apr 11, 2012

SkiBum22, Jan 15, 2013
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Served on tap in a pint glass at Tyler's Tap Room (Apex, NC)

Slightly cloudy amber in the glass with just barely a finger's worth of white foam. Head dissipates quickly but leaves a pretty stable film of bubbles and a heavier ring around the glass. Lacing was good and lasted all the way down the glass.

Aromas are all hops with the citrus grapefruit smell coming on the strongest. Very pungent!

The flavors are intense, with plenty of hop bitterness coming out strong. This brew really tastes a lot like it smells with a very biting citrus grapefruit flavor. All that bitterness rests on a very solid malt backbone that is really just along for the ride. The finish is long on hoppy bitterness and the linger just brings on more of that citrus grapefruit bitterness. Mouthfeel is nice with a modest carbonation that doesn't fight with or limit the hops while at the same time helping to create a good weight.

Overall drinkability is good if you like IPAs. Personally, I'm a fan, and I found this go be a very solid brew. Definitely worth a try if you are into hops.

SIRIUS2, Aug 16, 2009

joemetric, Jul 10, 2014

wrycon, Mar 08, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks to Warriorsoul for this one! Sampled & reveiwed on 1/13/07:

Ap: Medium pour raises full finger of creamy head with rocky surface. Copper color, good carbonation. Sparkling & clean.

Ar: Wonderfully hoppy! Deep fruit aromas of grapes & citrus, as well as pine needles & evergreens. Slight alcohol notes in the background.

Ta: Hops dominate from start to finish. Nice sweet malty middle which is quickly turned with another blast of hops in the finish. Stong citrusy, piney, apricot flavor.

Mo: Medium bodied. Mouth puckering from hop bitterness. A bit too bitter in the aftertaste - slightly cloying. Very good carbonation for the style.

Dr: Medium drinkability. Due to heightened bitterness, its a slow sipper for me. Could only have one or taste buds would be shattered!

Comments: The aroma is the real winner here. Dominated by the trademark citrusy NW hops, it truly radiates hoppiness. The flavor is pleasant, but could cut down on the bittering hop addition.

JMD71, Feb 22, 2007

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue V:

From the website: "Hops used include Simcoe for a unique fruitiness and grapefruit zest, Columbus for strong hop pungency, Centennial for pine and citrus notes and Cascade for floral aroma." That's insane, but a hophead's dream.

Pour this one carefully. We didn't the first time and wound up with the unfiltered, chunky dregs floating around in our pint glasses. Granted, they won't kill you and are actually good for you, but they could be off-putting for some. Less that, this IPA pours bright amber with burnt orange hues and a massive creamy foam head (like a big dollop of cream) that's sticky and retains very well--remember head on a beer is good as it releases volatiles for aroma and taste. Aroma is strong with grapefruit and herbs--gets the glands going--with soft grain and floral notes beneath. Nearly full-bodied, with a smooth, even consistency. Immediate smacking of grapefruit, herbal, resin, touch of mint, raw leaf and ash with a piney, grassy and oily bitter linger. So damn juicy and citric. Sweet, bready and a bit toasty beneath the hop carnage, providing just enough balance. Alcohol is very well hidden, with a slight burnt character toward the finish with ashy resin.
Few come close to the sublimely intense hoppiness that's Green Flash West Coast IPA. We love this beer.

BeerAdvocate, Sep 10, 2010
Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.