1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast I.P.A.Green Flash West Coast I.P.A.

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,147 | Reviews: 1,629 | Show All Ratings:
MiScusi

3/17/09
I've had a bunch of bottles of GFWCIPA but this bottle I just had right now was a revelation. I'm bumping my score up from 4.8 to a 5.0, because this beer is amazing. I'm getting a tropical fruit explosion like I've never seen in this beer. Wow. One of the best bottles of beer I've ever had.

___
1/10/09
Had on tap at Hamilton's for the first time since having a bottle 2 1/2 years ago. This was as good of a beer as I remember, and it was even better than I thought. Bumping up the scores because this is a top notch IPA by far. The spiciness from the hops is crazy in this beer. A very peppery sharp character coming from the hops is a lot different than other IPA's in the area, yet it is in many ways similar to them as well.

___
From a 12oz bottle, pours a very clear copper tinted with some redness, and an abundant off-white head that keeps a 3-4mm cap the entire drink. Lacing is also very good. Smell is strong with pine and citrus.

Taste is of lots of pine and citrus, with an aggressive bitterness that takes on a leafy hop taste. One of the more bitter IPA's I've come across, reminding me of Port's Wipeout IPA.

Mouthfeel is pretty slick, a full bodied IPA for sure. The alcohol being at 7% makes this a strong one. Drinkability is not too bad. I like hops, though I wouldn't say I'm a full on hophead, so a strong hop bitterness like this can wear me out after a bit.
5-4-4-4-4

06-03-2007 20:27:17 | More by MiScusi
Vansmack

Talk about hops! This is the hoppiest beer on the planet. I've been trying all the IPA's from all the breweries and nothing that I've tried even comes close to comparing with this IPA. Again... if you're into hops and the bitterness from extreme hoptivity... THIS IS YOUR BEER!

The brewery is kinda lame. The lady that works there doesn't know anything about their beers or beer in general. Don't tip her.

Peace

03-11-2008 04:25:15 | More by Vansmack
niz

British Columbia (Canada)

this is the best IPA on the planet, hands down, the look, the smell, the colour, the taste... mmm.... droool...
i live in canada and there are only a few places that you can get this. and at 18 bucks a six pack i buy most of the stock as it is received.
there is so much hops and oils and deliciousness in this beer it gives me a boner.
its like biting into a fresh grapefruit and flavour exploding all over your tongue.
and one gives me that nice hazy buzz, have one of these and smoke a fatty and you will feel just as nice as i do.
BEST BEER ON THE PLANET (FOR HOP HEADS)

LOVE IT FOREVER!!!

07-01-2009 00:52:55 | More by niz
HoppyPotter

This is the best widely available IPA I've ever found. My fridge has been primarily filled with Green Flash for months because it is pure, mysterious and drinkable. I can't help but draw lineage way back from Sierra to the Two Hearted and, now Green Flash as the go-to beer that never dissapoints. This beer has more attitude than Stone Ruination and Lagunitas' Double but remains somehow dry, crisp in its power. People keep talking about nut and malt flavors, but to me it seems more directly related to the essence of the hop. Double Nectar and Racer 5, Dogfish and Bells, all good, but for the ultimate IPA under 12 bucks/6, look no further. It is cursive, all else print.

10-21-2009 00:15:13 | More by HoppyPotter
thebrood1987

Wow you can smell strong grapefruit, pine from the variety of hops they use and that fruitiness from the cascade hop. Pure hop juice smell with some slight sweetness in the back. As soon as you take a sip you get hit with the fruity hops flavor and then the middle and back of the taste is just this strong grapefruit pine kick leaving a long long bitter finish. It has that amazing resinous very wet thick hop flavor and finish. This has to be one of the most bitter beers I've had. The hop flavor and the hop bitterness come together and are very pungent.

If you feel like no IPA's are doing it for you and you want more bitterness or flavor drink this beer it will blow you away. It reminds me of the Stone ruination but with other strains of hops in there to create different dimensions of hop flavor. This beer in a nutshell is the perfect balance of hop strains you could ever have. The most popular descriptions of an IPA (grapefruit, pine, citrus, flowery, resinous, fruity) this beer has all of that in a unique balance with an amazing long bitter finish and not to mention some slight malty sweetness when it warms more.

02-19-2011 01:50:02 | More by thebrood1987
ken2cart1

served in a flute pint glass

a- light amber, orange hints, huge inch frothy head, with hop or yeast particles floating inside,what a nice head (getting intimate) pillow soft, head lasts for ever

s- wow, just like an ipa should smell like...big wave of grapefruit, topical paradise, some hints of pine and floral, definetely smell a sweet pale malt backbne

t-holy hops!!! tropical grapefruit at the beginning then lingers to a bitter pine and then back to sitting on a beach with tropical fruits. this is what an ipa should taste like!!! all hops barely any malt..ends with a nice bitter alcohol sting to let you know it is there,
m- so smooth and delectable

d- all day, i think i downed this beer in mins

best beer in a while!! what a surprise never heard of this one.

03-03-2011 02:35:10 | More by ken2cart1
nancylunar13

anyone know when this brew will be on tap in the boston area? apparently i have to write at least 250 "characters" here - i keep looking up area places to see if they have it listed as being on tap . . . but no luck . . .SO FAR . . . . . . . . .

05-26-2011 18:11:05 | More by nancylunar13
RnRManifesto

Poured into a pint glass. A half inch head subsided quickly to a quarter inch. Lacing sticks to the glass all the way down. Color is copper/orange. Looks beautiful.

It also smells beautiful. It's like the liquid equivalent of the green sticky-icky. Lots of resiny hops in the nose, almost like smelling a bag of green.

The flavor is that of resiny and piney hops up front, tastes a bit like it smells, then you are hit with the citrus notes in the middle, and some bitterness on the finish. Excellent balance to a great tasting and great smelling IPA. Wow. This is my favorite IPA so far.

10-14-2011 23:19:02 | More by RnRManifesto
Centennial

A. Hazy, but vibrant glowing copper yellow with foamy head.

S. Grassy hops, citrus, pine and lemon.

T. Fresh hops take center stage in this brew, very floral, but bitter and not sweet. piney and hoppy resin flavor with grassy, but clean finish.

M. Munchy but clean and crisp, each sip has you reaching for more and more.

O. Solid stand by IPA of mine for the last 10 years. It is sad to see the price keeps climbing on this brew. Also the bottles, although nice, seem a bit excessive. An empty bottle weighs 4x more then an average empty bottle, which to me seems like a waste of natural resources and an unnecessary expense being passed on to the consumer in the end.

10-28-2011 07:53:58 | More by Centennial
andr27

this my "executioner" beer, if I only had one beer to choose I would choose this one! It is a nice hoppy beer and is just strong enough for my taste. Where I live it comes in four packs.
I would highly recommend this beer and I must say that it has become, along with a few from Stone, my favorite beverage!

12-18-2011 20:42:42 | More by andr27
Taylor8189

Connecticut

Just finished this beer out of a 12oz bottle and WOW..I do see what the hype is all about.
This beer finally made it to CT last week.
I've had it on tap and in bottle and both ways it is a perfect IPA.

The beer is dark, unfiltered, almost dark brown.

Smells very hoppy, gives you a good idea of whats to come.

The taste is fantastic, hops, sweetness, sticky to the sip, leaves you wanting more.

Mouthfeel is great, lots of carbonation, sticky, hoppy, makes you pant for more.

Overall, this beer lives up to the hype. These west coast IPAs have got it down.

A MUST TRY!!

06-11-2012 04:19:52 | More by Taylor8189
elNopalero

I don’t know how this one escaped my review attention as it’s on regular rotation for me but this is my first time trying it for the boards. Had it after going to the gym and it was the perfect post-workout drink. Although it might have negated the actual workout.

This beauty pours a amber-gold color with tight foam. There’s a fantastically fresh and bountiful bouquet of fresh grapefruit with some piney resin rounding it out. Incredibly vivid flavor with all sorts of citrusy and piney tastes dancing across my tastebuds. Great bitter finish makes me want another sip. Fresh, crisp, hoppy—it’s everything I wanted and so much more. Splendid.

06-18-2012 18:23:06 | More by elNopalero
flydudehsv

22 ounce bomber. Orange gold color. Small sized white foamy head. Aroma is fruity, sweet and citrusy. A medium bodied IPA. Malts are fruity and sweet. Hops are grapefruity, citrusy and floral. Medium bitter IPA. Nice balanced. Nice sweet malts. Good west coast IPA. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Really good IPA.

03-14-2013 07:40:07 | More by flydudehsv
AndrewPugliese

Connecticut

Upon taking my second sip all I could think was- This may be the best IPA I have ever had. Only to be second to Sierra Nevada Hoptimum (Drink it warm!!), but I guess that's technically an imperial IPA.

The smell of this beer is amazing, very floral, smells like medical bud.

The taste comes on very crisp, nicely carbonated for a fun bubbly time in your mouth. Very crisp, with the perfect amount of bitterness with some undertones of grapefruit. This beer is a must for any IPA fan.

At first I could only find this beer on tap, but I have been buying it ALOT in 4 packs!

10-03-2013 00:38:39 | More by AndrewPugliese
mgironta

4.98/5  rDev +18%

This brew poured a cloudy orange color with some sediment floating in it. The head was a full two fingers and pure white. It dissipated relatively quickly, leaving mild lacing on the glass. On the nose, I got lots of fresh hoppy goodness with some citrus as well. This smelled like something that I’m really going to like. On the first sip, I get some definite hops with grapefruit flavors, but more intense than I expected. It was also a bit on the oily side towards the end. Pine came up next. Hops definitely overwhelm the palate and the malt gets lost, which is totally fine by me. The moderate carbonation really went well with the flavors of the beer. The finish lingered for awhile with the sticky, grapefruit flavors. Also, the booze was really well hidden in the brew. I could put away a few of these without any problem. I would definitely have this again. This is a brew that really helped my hop head craving.

09-26-2012 18:36:02 | More by mgironta
Cobrito

Georgia

4.98/5  rDev +18%

A--Somewhat cloudy amber-copper with slight but long-lasting head, miniscule bubbles.

S--Oh what a beautiful, harmonious cornucopia of ingredients--a wonderful, natural fruitiness as well as earthy, pungent and floral; seems to come from both malts and hops.

T--Wow, just wow. Taste follows nose--variety of hops dance around the malts in a way that the malts have an almost whiskey character to the fruit--beer is nice and bitter on the back of the tongue, but is also explosively flavorful throughout the palate much like a high-quality spirit. Perfect example of a balanced yet hop-dominant beer.

M-feel--Complex in the best way.

Overall--A masterpiece. Seems to bring out what's best in several standard hops AND malts all at the same time in ways that few breweries have accomplished.

10-08-2012 03:55:00 | More by Cobrito
BrandonMelton

4.98/5  rDev +18%

12/31/12 - 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep golden color, verging on amber. Darker than the typical west coast IPA, with a slight chill haze that clears as the beer warms. Traces of sediment remain in suspension in the glass - either from yeast or hops, or both. Pours one and a half fingers of nearly white head that leaves a solid sheet of lacing that beautifully coats the glass.

Aroma: Hops, hops, and more hops. The complexity in the hop profile is the best I've ever experienced. Bitter/sweet grapefruit and sweet orange zest dance on a soft bed of spring flowers with a subtle hint of pine.

Taste: Huge citrus bitterness up front - ruby red grapefruit - followed by sweet citrus - fresh squeezed orange juice. Hop flavors carry throughout, with hints of caramel malt backbone mid-palate. Slight pine pungency. Both sweet and bitter citrus fade into the finish, like chewing a fresh clementine - seeds and all.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Moderately light carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall: Perfectly amazing west coast style IPA. Quite possibly my favorite example of quite possibly my favorite style. The only detraction is that the color is slightly darker than I prefer in an IPA. Definitely one of my favorite beers.

Score: 99

01-07-2013 01:59:26 | More by BrandonMelton
drgonzo3705

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

A: A very deep orange auburnish color with a fluffy white head that diminishes to a thin ring around the edge and leaves some nice sticky lacing on the glass.

S: A very big piney citrusy oily hop bomb for your nose! Just a hint of maltiness hiding in the background.

T: Just like it smells. Big hop bomb in your mouth. Very oily and bitter.

M: Nice medium body that leaves your mouth with this oily thickness that lets you savor the beer even more.

D: I know 7% isn't very drinkable for a lot of people, but its around my average so I find this to be very drinkable. I will definitely buy more of this!

02-11-2009 03:55:54 | More by drgonzo3705
HopHedz

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

I had this beer at a local pub in my area (porter's pub), i've had numerous IPA's (i am a true hophead), this one standed out to me as one of the best if not the best i've ever had. Definately more appealing to me then your average IPA. Has a unique crisp feel to it that alot of IPA's don't have. I don't know why maybe a little less malt than other brands? Anyway the hop flavor dominated my palate more than i had expected for a single IPA. This beer may be even more hoppy than numerous double IPA's i have tried but without the thick and syrupy feel. If you ever get the chance to try this beer on tap - do not turn it down. I ended up having 4 of these in a row because of how pleased i was with it. West coast IPA's are clearly dominant in this style.

03-27-2009 01:31:09 | More by HopHedz
gau8a

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

on my mission to try everyones varieties of ipa's i put this at the top. with a smash in the mouth taste, all these different hop signature characters do their jobs extemely well!. if you like the "piney" ipas, then this should please you. it is hoppy, but has a lot to offer. their hop head red is also a great find!!!.

03-28-2009 23:33:35 | More by gau8a
jsh420

notes from 5/26 blind ipa tasting

pours hazy amber orange 1/2 finger head with lacing all over

smell was big pine and grapfruit

taste - oh yes on intial sip you know this has made in cali all over it and properly named "west coast ipa" - pine fruity grapefruit hops with a good creamy malt backbone

mouthfeel - medium body with both a crisp and creamy feel - i dont know how they do it

drinkability - i am all over this one - a big west coast ipa with solid malts - i found my winner

over this beer finished 1st in blind tasting
rankings on tasting 1-8 GFlash-2Hrtd-BigEye=Hop3-CorneDuDiable-60min=AlphaKing-Hdevil

06-05-2009 19:13:44 | More by jsh420
briwood

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer has the perfect bite for an IPA. The burst of grapefruit taste in your mouth keeps you wanting more. As with most of the IPA's that I drink, I like to savor this one over an hour to get the full range of flavors. I know it may be hard to do your first time, because it taste so darn good, but maybe slow it down on your second. You won't be disappointed.

09-29-2010 23:00:42 | More by briwood
jbowers56

Australia

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

On an iPhone so I'll be brief.

Looks incredible. Fluffy white head that sticks around and leaves a great lacing. Bit cloudy golden orange.

Smell is amazing. Rich simcoe sherbert fruit aromas. Tons of citrus and preserved fruits. Unreal.

So good. If this isn't a 5 what is? Everything that the nose promised is here in spades. Verrry slight sweetness apparent before hardcore lasting bitter finish.

Full but still super clean and crisp in the mouth.

I never want to not be drinking this.

10-24-2010 09:28:44 | More by jbowers56
CAcreeks

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Pliny is a great IPA, but I like this one better, so I am surprised how low down it is in the rankings. Maybe the maltiness makes it too dark and heavy for some people? Anyway, I like it. The complexity of aroma is matched by only a few brews, including Pliny, Ballast Point, and ones not generally available such as 50-50 Imperial IPA (Truckee) or Chama IPA (New Mexico).

12-12-2010 08:17:54 | More by CAcreeks
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This is my favorite IPA going. Poured 12 oz bottle into my 13 oz tulip glass. A very hazey, bright orange, with a 2 inch white head, that is sticky as any IPA I have had. Lacing hangs out for the beers duration. The smell is piney, grapefruit, with a hint of a toffee. This is a very powerful, hops forward beer. The 95 IBU's were used to perfection. Even being two months old, the hops have held up very well. The mouthfeel is big for a IPA, with plenty of life. I know people say there are better IPA's around, but I have yet to have one!

01-01-2011 19:18:14 | More by SawDog505
Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. from Green Flash Brewing Co.