1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast I.P.A.Green Flash West Coast I.P.A.

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,146 | Reviews: 1,629 | Show All Ratings:
JRed

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Deep orange in body topped by immense fluffy head that sticks around for a while. Aroma of citrus, pine, hops, light soap, grass, and slight alcohol. Strong flavors of citrus, grass, soap, pine, alcohol towards the finish mingles with some off flavors. Medium bodied brew with some mild thickness. The pine/alcohol mixture has a bit of a burn to it which makes the beer a challenge on the palate and stomach. Enjoyable but not anything to write home about.

09-01-2010 22:56:56 | More by JRed
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

12oz. bottle served in my Harpoon IPA willibecker. Pours a semi-hazy amber with a frothy, 1.5 inch cream-colored head. Head settles into a solid half inch cap with thick clumps of lacing adhering to the sides of the glass. Nose reveals a combination of sweet grapefruit and medicinal hops. Taste consistent with nose; however, a mild malty backbone reveals itself and a slightly caustic lingering bitterness comes out and lingers between quaffs. Mouthfeel is medium-light with an assertive, almost prickly carbonation. A decent IPA, but the bitterness is a little too much for my taste.

09-24-2010 02:38:10 | More by Jwale73
axeman9182

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

12oz bottle, received as part of Amanti Vino's beer of the month program and poured into my Duvel Tulip.

West Coast IPA pours somewhere between a deep orange and the first stages of brown, depending on how much light is hitting the glass. The off white head only ever reaches two fingers in height. It doesn't stick around for too long either, and lacing is present, but not remarkable. The nose is classic California IPA, minimal to no malt (I think I can pick up on just a hint of caramel in this one), and a massive dose of tropical citrusy aromas. Green Flash gets extra credit for producing an IPA that's particularly pungent. Unfortunately it doesn't taste as remarkable as it smells. Caramel is a little bit more present here than in the nose, and a rather pronounced bitterness announces the imminent arrival of grapefruit and pineapple citrus notes. It's good, it just doesn't do much of anytning to distinguish itself from any of the other west coast style IPAs that I've had. The body is impressively solid for a beer that's largely devoid of a malt presence. The carbonation, while solid, I think could stand to be a little bit more energetic . Green Flash West Coast IPA is a fine beer (though I think maybe a little too bitter relative to it's hop flavor punch), but there's just really not much to recommend it over some other IPAs.

11-19-2010 02:26:23 | More by axeman9182
tmcelvain

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

L: Pure gold - hints of red in a fairly hazy body. Fluffy head with good retention.

S: The floral smell hits you right away. Second take is more earthy with a musty finish.

T: This is a pure hop bomb with a very dry finish. Not much balance here, though I do detect just a hint of malts in the aftertaste. The hop flavor is a slight grapefruit citrus, with a little floral flavor filling it out.

M: Well carbonated and true to the style on the mouth.

D: I personally do not desire much more of this one. I consider myself as much a hophead as your average BA, but this beer just seems one-dimensional to me. This is a good example of a hoppy American IPA, and the alcohol is very well hidden, but is not a favorite for me.

12-20-2010 04:30:41 | More by tmcelvain
claspada

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Aromas are begin with straight west coast C-hop goodness. Waves of candied grapefruit, pineapple and fresh pine to my nose. A fantastic nose if you're a C-hop fan; personally I may be burnt out on these hops.

The flavors aren't as explosive as expected given the aroma, but this is still a lip smackingly resiny hop bomb. Tastes begin with light sweet malty/breadiness but is intially matched with copious amounts of citrus zest and pine. The flavor profile is more mid-range, bold, brassy hops with caramel and lightly toasted pale malt accents. That's not to say that West Coast IPA is anything other than a hop-dominant beer, but it doesn't quite have that pure, clean hop flavor for the style. Freshness many be an issue here.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with proper avergage carbonation. THe bitterness lingers too much for my preference and the sweet, sticky maltiness doesn't stand up enough to balance out the stank. For me this definitely falls into the hop bomb category, but others may find it more balanced. The finish is long and is slightly oily, ensuring that a thin sheen of hop scum adheres to the tongue and builds upon itself with each successive sip.

Green Flash West Coast IPA is, without question, a good version of the style. For me it's too one-sided, maybe it's my East Coast flavor preference.

07-14-2011 17:03:48 | More by claspada
BWED

3.56/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler

A- Pours a copper-orange color. A bit of haze. Thin, off white head. Just a bit of lacing hangs around.

S- Strong pine and citrus. A little sweet malt toastiness. Maybe a bit of a catty scent, but it isn't strong, and combined with the other aromas is actually kind of pleasant.

T- Lots of citrus peel flavor, a slight toast/grain malt character springs up as well.

M- Medium body. Long bitter dry finish.

O- Very hoppy, but not extremely bitter. I'd drink it again, but I can't say it's near the top of my list.

08-20-2013 16:05:11 | More by BWED
bashiba

Iowa

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a slightly hazy amber/orange with a thick and creamy tan head with some nice long lasting retention and good lacing.

The smell had a mild green hop pine quality to it, very wet hop kind of smell.

The flavor was fairly mild with some nice bitter green hops mixing in with a bit of damp basement like yeast funkiness that seems to be present in all of the green flash beers I have tried.

The mouthfeel is light and a bit oily.

A good IPA, but nothing real special in my book, especially being one of the highest priced standard IPA's I have ever had at over $12 a 6pk.

03-22-2009 03:18:43 | More by bashiba
jrallen34

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a medium orange with big white head, lots of retention and good lacing. This beer is pretty clear and has lots of carbonation.

The aroma is very strong, equal smells or strong orange peel and hops.

The tastse is much bitter than it smells and almost comes as shock. The taste lasts several seconds and bitterness makes it hard to drink a ton of it.

10-07-2009 01:18:57 | More by jrallen34
dspoonrt

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%

After reading some of the other reviews, maybe I poured this one too quickly and that was the cause of some of the off-flavors and astringency I experienced. Anyways, here are my thoughts:

Appearance: Beer pours a dusty orange-brown color with some haze and some head. Noticeable sediment and bubbles add to the look and differentiate this IPA from others I've had.

Smell: A wonderful array of hops come through in the nose. Pine, flowers, citrus, and other scents blend together and delight the senses. The combination is intoxicating.

Taste: A letdown after the nose, the beer was overwhelming bitter with very little balance. Less fruity and floral elements, the primary flavors coming through were pine and grass.

Mouthfeel: Rather full-bodied and thick for an IPA, West Coast IPA drinks smooth, if maybe a little dry.

Drinkability: Overall, it has some great elements, but it's not my favorite IPA. I consider myself a hophead. The assortment of hops blended nicely in the nose, but I felt they really clashed in the taste department. Something was missing. I don't think I'd want to drink more than one of these.

09-22-2010 14:31:17 | More by dspoonrt
infi

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured into a nonic pint.

Rustic, dark-orange color. Lots of floating white, particulate matter and carbonation thoughout. White, cloud-like head with webby lacing and good retention time. Smell is of faint hoppiness, which in turn carries a small amount of pine. Small amount of malt/yeast aromas as well. Very minimal.

Taste is just sweet, with a small amount of hop bitterness. Considerable amount of drying on the palate finish. Bitterness doesn't last too long. Slim citrus character to be noted.

Fairly medium-bodied with not much of a carbonated feel. Clean and easy to drink. 7.3% becomes evident after a completed bottle. Decent WC IPA.

02-25-2011 21:39:30 | More by infi
Alieniloquium

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Very hazy golden body that looks darker because of a slight murkiness. Nice two finger head and beautiful stick-looking lacing.

Smell - Hop monster. Piney and grassy hops. Not even a hint of malt. Just a hint of citrus hops.

Taste - Exactly the same as the smell. Strong hop flavors of pine and grass. A brief sweetness of malt and then it gives way to a lingering bitterness. It love the hoppiness, but it's pretty unbalanced.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated and medium bodied, but it's so high in carbonation it's tough to tell. Such a low amount of malt that it's super easy to drink. I could put a bottle away in minutes.

Overall - A hop bomb. Reminds me of Blind Pig. So hoppy and bitter that it's unbalanced, but that's what a West Coast IPA is.

06-05-2011 20:44:03 | More by Alieniloquium
gillagorilla

Maryland

3.54/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. into Chimay Goblet/Chalice (bottled on 01/21/13)

A: It is a very dark amber, almost the color of a nicely stained wood. Also, it is very cloudy with no head even on the pour.

S: The smell is sublime and it is that perfect combination of pine and citrus. It is a great smell but not overly powerful.

T: I'm not a big fan of the taste, but that might be because it isn't super fresh (A little over 2 months old). It is all pines and no real complexity. The aftertaste just really sits in the back of the throat and it is not a good one.

M: It has a nice mouthfeel that is not too strong. Not very crisp, it almost goes unnoticed until the end.

O: Well, I did not like this IPA at all and it is supposed to be top notch. I enjoyed Palate Wrecker a lot more. I will have to revisit this one, but I will not be getting it again for a while. Not even sure if I will finish it.

04-02-2013 23:29:41 | More by gillagorilla
Illinick

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Amber/orange in color with a big, thick, fluffy white head that retains nicely throughout. Nice glass clinging lacing.
S: Grapefruit pulp with medicinal/herbal and piney hop smells. Spicy notes as well as some bitter citrus pulp.
T: Follows the nose with a huge hop bite at first derived from grapefruit pulp and medicinal hop flavors. The pineyness comes out and leads to further spice flavors and a dry and warming finish. Some citrus pulp notes throughout. Definate huge hop flavors!
MF: Light medium that finishes dry with a slight alcohol warmth.
Overall: Definately a West Coast IPA. Hops, hops, hops, with little detectable malt balance. The hops, grapefruit pulp and medicinal flavors really overpower this brew. A good brew for hop heads, and even though I am in that category I like to see a little more balance.

08-01-2006 23:41:39 | More by Illinick
ski271

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%

A: cloudy, medium amber with a small, off-white creamy head. Good lacing.
S: Wonderful citrus hops over a light bready malt backbone. Orange is the dominant aroma.
T: More of the same with some pine and a resiny bitter finish.
M: A bit of an astringency I didn’t care for… thinned it out too much
D: LOVED the nose but the mouthfeel ruined it for me.

09-16-2007 19:05:26 | More by ski271
ipazilla

12oz. bottle
Very tasty high quality beer, rather expensive six pack but worth the money. Big hop flavors matched with a big malt finish. Good beer for those not in love with pine notes or big floral notes. It has rich body that makes it quite smooth and has a good level of bitterness. Not my favorite style of Ipa but a good one to try anyway.

09-05-2009 14:23:36 | More by ipazilla
Tone

Missouri

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy, copper color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of floral hops, hops, hint of pine, slight sweet malt, and hint of wheat. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, slight sweet malt, hint of roasted malt, hops, and a hint of pine. Overall, decent IPA, nothing outstanding.

06-26-2012 13:07:22 | More by Tone
tone77

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is hoppy, citrus. Taste is big on hops, quite bitter, pine, some citrus, a bit unbalanced for my liking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, while a pretty good beer, I felt it didn't quite live up to the hype., I have had better iPA's.

12-21-2012 01:25:15 | More by tone77
akorsak

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

Served on-tap at Al's prior to KBS.

A: The IPA is an amber color, rustic in its brown copper color while still retaining its clarity. No head sat atop it.

S: The nose is citrusy and jagged, dominated by an excessive dose of grapefruit and a heaping load of caramel. Very strong, with the caramel often getting in the way.

T: Each sip reveals a pretty strong dose of peppery grapefruit hops. Those hops are sweet but they have a rindy fullness to them. For as much as the hops stand out, they could be much stronger. The problem is that caramel maltiness gets in the way, too strong and overpowering on some of the more flavorful floral hops. Too bad, beacuse I can tell that the flavors are lingering but they just can't make it through. There is also a fair amount of booziness lingering around.

M: The mouthfeel is abrasive, carbonation with bitter hops and lots of malt; all conspire to overload the senses. More hop & less malt would be nice.

D: A nice beer to sip on but not an IPA that I'd make a go-to.

06-24-2010 21:26:45 | More by akorsak
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

Bottle from Beer Deluxe.

A - Pours a slightly hazed dark copper colour with mild carbonation. Great fluffy, thick beige head of two fingers. Thick rings of lace and a full finger of retention.

S - Boozy pineapple, thick resinous hops, citrus.

T - Really resinous and hop sappy again. Boozy pineapple as well. Resinous pine is quite strong with orange sorta peels.

M - Bitterness is intense as my tastebuds contract after swallowing. Good carbonation and a medium body.

O/D - A decent IPA. Better on tap from my experience. Bitterness was a little rough. A little out of balance, having dank hops overpowering the malt body. Good, but not great.

04-08-2012 07:45:33 | More by tbeckett
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

A few months ago, Untappd started sending me monthly recaps of what I drank. I track a lot of beers, and now look forward to that email. It tells me my favorite style, the number of beers I drank, popular pictures I posted, and more. Last month, my favorite style was IPA. The month before it was stouts, which makes sense… it was the winter! Anyway, I am a hop head (self proclaimed) so I love a good IPA. Some, especially on Twitter, are calling this a double IPA. I mean, the beer packs 95 IBUs. That is BIG for an IPA. I can’t wait to see what this bad boy smells and tastes like.

In the Glass: This is a good looking IPA. It has a thick, fleeting head and the lace just hangs on for dear life. Some of it just sticks to the side of the glass begging to be drank. When I swirl it around in the glass, which I do quite often with beer and wine, the head foams up and leaves a thin layer of frothy white on top. Let’s dig in.

Nose: Whoa… that is a PUNCH of hops. I am pretty sure there is just a pile of hops sitting in the glass waiting to be enjoyed. Holy cow. I love hoppy beers, and when I read this had 95 IBUs I got excited… I guess that is what 95 IBUs smells like!

Flavor: The flavor is NOT what I expected. When I pour n IPA, one that is often called a double IPA, I expect the hoppy nose… which I got. But I also expect some hops on the palate. I get those, don’t get me wrong. But I might as well have just sucked on a pine needle. I am not sure that is a bad thing, but the flavor is not as much hop as it is pine. The flavor is good, but again… not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is good. The beer appears to be thick in the glass, but isn’t on the tongue. It slides down smooth, with a punch of hops and a hint of carbonation. I normally am not that big on bubbles, but lately I have been opening my mind to bubbles. The pine needles hit you about halfway back, and then it leads to a bitter, strong aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is the best part. Well, the smell is the best part. But the aftertaste is nice. It sticks around for a while, and is somewhat dry with a hint of bitterness on the swallow. It has a professional finish… like an IPA that has been around the block a few times. The aftertaste has me longing for the last drop.

This is a good beer. It doesn’t taste like it has 95 IBUs. It smells like it does, but doesn’t taste like it. I could just sit here and smell this all day long. I have never licked a Christmas tree, but I have a feeling it would taste like this beer. Like I said, that isn’t a bad thing. But just not what I expected. The burp is nice, though. Anyway, I am a BIG fan of IPAs, but this one is too outside the box, even for me.

West Coast India Pale Ale - The bottle says: “NA”

05-05-2012 04:43:29 | More by rickyleepotts
bigdeuce

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

Great looking off amber colored beer. Sweet and sticky smell and all piney with grapefruit scents. Medium to full bodied beer. Nice lacing on the glass is a terrific looking beer. The taste was WAAY too unbalanced for me. Very hoppy, to the point of "where is the malt". Made this one tough for me to finish. Good beer, how it can win out over Stone IPA is beyond me. They must be same "judges" that did not elect Chris Carter to the pro football HOF this last vote. This IPA is worth a try and and I would try it again, but I will not seek it out. The strength of the hops, or the lack of the malt, makes this IPA's alcohol overwhelming.

03-15-2008 23:12:37 | More by bigdeuce
kiddynamite920

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Head was decent, gone in a matter of seconds though. Beautiful color, dark orange with brown hues. Lacing is evident from the start. Tastes very sweet at first for an IPA, but then I suppose the 95 IBU's sneak up on you, leaving a very bitter aftertaste. I like hops, but this is a good amount of bitter hops. Mouthfeel is smooth, has good viscosity for an IPA. All in all, it's as good as expected but I think I'll stick to my Stones and Dogfish IPA's.

01-18-2009 06:00:28 | More by kiddynamite920
JoeMayo

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

A- Pours a clear, golden color with a rocky 2-finger head that leaves rings of lacing down the glass.

S- Very clean and crisp-smelling. Pine hits the nose first with a sweet resin aroma. Hints of bitter grapefruit rind come through as well.

T- Not as well-balanced as I would have immagined. It's very bitter with pine dominating the flavor. There's a subtle grapefruit flavor, but grapefruit rind, not flesh, which I've never seen in an IPA before. There's almost no sweetness.

M- Very clean and crisp, but it's missing a "juiciness" that I like in IPAs.

D- Definately not a session beer, but pretty enjoyable to sip on.

05-31-2009 13:06:37 | More by JoeMayo
alcstradamus

Washington

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a deep amber with a fluffy finger and a half of head in my 16 oz. snifter. Smell is potent floral hops, with seemingly quite a bit of caramel malt backbone underneath. I'm not sure if my senses are just fooling me, this is just so deep and earthy yet sweet smelling at the same time. Upon first sip, I see that my senses were not fooling me after all. Strong biscuit and caramel malt up front, with a deep pine resin hop profile rushing in shortly after. This is tasty, but its definitely not what comes to mind when I think West Coast IPA. Perhaps it has faded a bit? No freshness date.

Either way, like I said, I still find it to be tasty. Bitterness is a bit high and I wish there was more citrus, those are the two major flaws I find with it. Medium bodied and very oily, I don't get much of a carbonation splash at all. A solid IPA here, but definitely not one of my favorites. I would drink it again in a heartbeat, but probably won't purchase it again unless I knew it was fresh.

08-12-2009 21:37:20 | More by alcstradamus
SpdKilz

New Beer Friday!

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a tawny/amber color, achieving about two fingers of tan fluffy head that is dissipating relatively fast but leaving decent lacing.

Smell - Immediately there are juicy hops, piney resin, and citrus. Unripe grapefruit and orange peel come to mind.

Taste - Very bitter up front - followed by pine and bitter citrus flavors. When I said it smells of unripe grapefruit and orange peel, it tastes twice as bitter as it smelled. A slight maltyness comes through at the end but overall I am mainly getting bitter hops/citrus. Not crazy balanced but not too bitter. [edit] Damn, this is too bitter. I'm halfway done with it now and have let it warm up for about 20 minutes and it is taking its toll.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, good carbonation, slightly creamy, relatively dry finish.

Drinkability - Pretty hoppy/bitter. I would probably mix these up with a couple other beers if I was to drink a few at a time. I think it would overwhelm me with bitterness if I drank a few of these in a row. I personally enjoyed the Green Flash Imperial IPA over this.

[edit] I'm still working through a six pack of these. I just do not like this beer. Each time I drink it, it is an utter chore to finish.

04-02-2010 23:14:56 | More by SpdKilz
Green Flash West Coast I.P.A. from Green Flash Brewing Co.