Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,785 | Hads: 7,361
3.84/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass on tap. Hazy orange, light head and little retention.

Copper citrus grapefruit hops in the nose, biscuity malts, dank and some hope spice. Very nice, aromatic IPA.

Good bittering and aromatic hop selection. Nice dry bitterness and a good hop/malt ratio. Touch of minerality. Not very citrusy although there is a nice dank hop presence. Booze is pretty persistent throughout.

Oily dry mouthfeel, good carbonation.

Zestier than a lot of other Socal Ipas. Very well balanced, but the aromatics are not represented as well in the flavor. (563 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%

Welcome to Kentucky Green Flash, glad to finally try this one.

Pours a darker reddish orange color, good density but very clean. Not much head but a creamy white top somewhat lingers around. Lacing is also lacking so not exciting.

A good strong funky hop aroma. A mix of citrus flavors with an almost brass metal like blend, surprisingly this is a huge complement. The malt isn't strong or powerful enough so this one goes a bit one sided and has plenty of room to grow on.

Much like the nose, citrus and brassy hops. A lot of herbal elements here as well. I really like the complexity in flavor from the hops. The malt is weak and doesn't add much here, light toasted caramel malt in the back ground.

A bit heavy for an IPA but drinkable and very well carbonated.

I really like this one. It isn't the best or close, but it is a great example of what the west coast ipas are all about. (894 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Unfortunately no bottled on date, but says best by 4/23/15. That's about as fresh as you'll find Green Flash in New Mexico these days.

Lovely frothy head and sticky lace shine in the snifter in which this is poured. There's a creamy look to the white head. Carbonation trickles upwards through the hazy amber body and a light blonde color glows towards the base of the glass.

Massive aromas flood from the snifter and even at a distance I catch piney, resinous, floral and citrusy notes. Sticking my nose in the glass, juicy resinous are more dominant and urge me to sip. I'll oblige.

There's not so much diversity hitting my tongue as was hitting my nose, as this seems more confined to pine, resin and a biscuity sweet flavor. Subsequent sips bring out a tad of fruit flavor like pineapple and citrus, but it's might subtle. I enjoy how this brew tastes, but its aroma set the bar a bit higher than the taste could achieve.

The bottle says this brew is 95 IBUs, but it seems other beers with more IBUs aren't half as bitter. This is a bitter beast/bomb almost from start to finish, with light sweetness smoothing things out initially but it ends aggressively and almost harshly. This would turn off a lot of newbs for sure. The carbonation level is mellow enough that it doesn't contribute to the bitter harshness and I'm thankful for this because otherwise it could be even harder to sip. Occasionally I get some mellow fruitiness that is really enjoyable, so this isn't a complete palate attack.

I suppose some hop heads can really get down to this, but I find it a little over the top. I don't think I'd drink too many of these by choice, but I'd certainly never turn it down. (1,691 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. capped bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A strong pour yields a 2-finger cream-colored head that slowly dissipates after a few minutes to a thick dusting and thick foam ring. The body is a slightly hazy amber tangerine with a light amount of rising carbonation bubbles. Great lacing can be seen clinging to every available surface throughout consumption.

The nose is primarily composed of grassy and piney hops aromas. Some sweet citrus hops aromas are also noticeable in the background but are difficult to analyze.

Light and sweet at the start, flavors of pine, tangerine, mandarin orange, and grapefruit. As the beer is swallowed, a strong pine flavor emanates from the center of the tongue outward. This quickly gains a strong bitterness that, combined with the flavor, wipes out all traces of any other flavors.

Medium bodied with great carbonation, this beer is a treat to drink. The body is just heavy enough to allow the flavors to really impact the palate while never becoming sticky. The carbonation is a little fizzy but definitely helps to keep the body enjoyable and the finish crisp. (1,124 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Orangish Amber color. Some head but not a lot of it. Foam looks good though.

S: Pine and grapefruit

T: Lots of bitter hops. A little too bitter for my taste buds. Pine and grapefruit, some floral taste as well. Nice dry finish.

M: Lots of carbonation. Works for this beer.

D: A nice strong IPA. If you like the pine and grapefruit combo with some floral tones, this one is for you. (388 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Green Flash's West Coast IPA last week for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I didn't have the best first impression of Green Flash and I wasn't a big fan of Palate Wrecker and I hope this one turns out better, so lets see how it goes. The best by date was almost completely rubbed off, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's got that typical Green Flash design, it's pretty simple and not too eye catching. It poured a hazy orange/amber color that took on more of a darker orange and ruby color when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end it left some nice rings of sticky lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice floral, tropical fruit, and citrus hops aromas with the fruity hops seeming to stick out the most and there's just a slight green onion like hop aspect that barely showed up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a grainy, sweet malt, bready and cracker like malt aromas with a very light amount of doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it had a nice balance to it and I enjoyed the hop profile.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma but there's also some piney flavors that show up and all the aspects seem to show up pretty evenly. Up next comes the malts which impart a nice grainy, light sweet malt, bready, and bread crust like flavors with just a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's low amount of high bitterness that's on the border of being medium bitter and there's some lingering bitterness, citrus hops and grainy malts in the aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but I wish it was as juicy as the aroma was.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp. on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice, but it was a little on the thick side.

Overall I thought this was a pretty a nice beer and a pretty standard and nice example of a West Coast IPA, it seemed to be pretty inline with the style, but it lacked that juiciness and brightness that some of the better ones seem to have, but I still thought it was very solid for what it is. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these, but that would probably be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty good and they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that the taste wasn't a little more juicy and bright. I don't think I would buy this again, it's a little pricey for what you get and there's more than a few west coast style IPA's that I like more. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style. I'm still not sold on Green Flash, but this wasn't a bad beer at all and I thought it was pretty solid for what they were going for. Nice work guys, keep up the solid work. So far this is my favorite Green Flash beer. (3,566 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My parents brought this one back to me all the way from the Papago Brewery in Arizona. Thanks!

This one pours out of the bottle a deep bronze, with a slow-churning head that creates an absolutely gorgeous meringue effect on the top of the glass. This fluffy beer-cloud leaves a remarkable trail of stick to the glass.

The nose is all shades of hops; fruity, citrusy, zinc-y, metallic, and green/herbal. Completely one-sided, but completely appealing.

The taste is more of the same, a dank hop-slap of insane bitterness. While this does go over-the-top a little bit - my mouth was aflame with alpha acids - I did enjoy this much more than some of the even more unbalanced IPAs I have been drinking. Hop burps could be ignited.

A slight astringency (batteries, pennies, metal) takes away from this and sends it towards the hop-tea pile of West-Coast IPAs. Still, an intense change of pace that I could definitely enjoy from time to time. (947 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. 7.3 alcohol and 95 ibus!

Thing white pretty calm head. Leaves a little bit of lacing on the side of the glass but not much. Dark amber in color and very cloudy, can barely see my hand through it in this dimly lit room. Looks very nice. Head goes away almost completely in about a minute. Nice and unfiltered.

Not much in the way of aroma. Some subtle citrus hops but nothing really jumps out. Very subdued nose. Getting some more piney hops as it warms. Much nicer now.

Taste is very bitter, piney hops with a good amount of malt. The more it warms the more the citrus hops come through, some really nice grapefruit flavors coming through alone with the pine, and the malt mellows out a bit when it warms, too. Nice bitterness, not overpowering and doesn't stay with you too long.

Kind of heavy, a little oily too, maybe. About what I'd expect from this type of brew.

I think I'd come back to this to try it again. Not one of my favorites but I'd like to try it on tap. Not terribly upset I only have one of these. (1,052 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to washburnkid for this one! Pours a hazy orange color with a small white head that fell to lasting cap and left some very nice lacing. Aroma is a nice mixture of juicy and herbal hops, lightly peppery, a hint of crisp cracker like malt. Smells much like their DIPA, but a little lighter. Flavor is bitter and dry. Plenty of grapefruit rind, a hint of orange and a noticeable spiciness. Finish is dry and lingering. Mouthfeel is medium, crisp carbonation. This is a good West Coast style IPA, but it's really missing what I like the most: fruity, citrusy, and piney hops. This is a bitter beer, and that's pretty much what it has going for it. Other than that, it's a solid IPA. (685 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Yowza, a 7% West Coast IPA that struck gold in San Diego last month? Ok, don't twist my arm.

Dumped into my Sam Adams glass, this beer is a beaut. Clear, but with a few little particles bobbing around, the lush orange-amber sit pretty and is capped by a fat off-white head that is about 4cm tall. The head fades down to about a quarter of that, but never completely dies, while leaving sticky lace residue down the sides. Quite appealing.

In true West-side style, this is a citrus hop bomb. Aggressive and acidic, the huge grapefruit and citrus-soaked pine comes through loud and clear. There's a malty, caramel smell buried under the leafy hops, but it's certainly an afterthought. The sweetness gets a little bolder as the brew warms. Intense and very aromatic, this one is...

Flavor is again quite intense, a hop-rush of the highest order. I submit that this really pushes the limits of the style Bitter, cleansing, harsh grapefruit and twangy pine mingle with a honeyed sweetness that gasps as it tries to keep up with its larger, hoppier brother.

This would be an easy drink, if not for the eye-opening bitterness. There's no denying this is a hefty IPA, but the sheer hoppiness and alcohol work against it as a session beer. It's very close to Double IPA land, really.

If bold, loud American IPAs are your thing, you should seek out Green Flash. (1,357 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Orange body, chunky sustaining off-white head.

S: Hoppy marmalade smell.

T: Very bitter and a bit sweet. Tons of seville orange marmalade. A bit of fudge. No burned toast, thank goodness. Nice but not complex at all.

M: The chunky head makes for a chewy brew and I'm not sure I like this.

O: No surprises here, just another marmalade tasting hop bomb, the likes of which I've grown weary. (395 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Nice appearance. One-finger head, that sticks like glue to the glass.

Mild pineapple, citrus aromas with a touch of pine. Some sweet maltiness comes through and just a tad bit of alcohol.

The taste was a bit underwhelming as compared to the aroma. Citrus upfront gives way to a strong hop-bitterness. That happiness is balanced slightly by the maltiness. You also get a touch of the alcohol but not as much as you'd think for a 7.3% ABV.

Mouthfeel is medium with a nice carbonation level.

Truthfully, I was expecting more from this beer. It could be a less-than-fresh bottle perhaps, but I can think of at least 10 other IPA's that I enjoy more. Still, I wouldn't turn this away by any means. (697 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle..Perfectly clear deep amber/copper coloured body with strong ruby highlights and a thinnish white head. Aroma of very fresh grassy hops along with citrus notes, perfumy notes and even more hops! Medium-bodied; Strong hop bitterness up front fading to a good malt backbone then back to some citrusy type hops. The aftertaste shows a lot of the hops with a bit of the grassyness from above and a good bit of malt. Overall, a good IPA. (462 characters)

12oz Bottle
$1.50 single
Liquid Solutions

As soon as the top pops on West Coast I.P.A I can tell I'm in for a treat. Nothing but hops after opening. Poured a crystal clear polished copper that got a little hazy after I dumped the yeasties in there without even thinking. A two finger white billowy head formed on the pour that just stayed put. Leaves sheet lacing down the glass.

The solid head on this beer is holding some of the aroma at bay. The aroma is still solid and nothing but sugared grapefruit. Mild caramel in the background. Simple but yummy.

Flavor isn't near as good as I was expecting. As a matter of fact it's just ok. Caramel malt starts things off and is bigger than expected. The hops aren't as pronounced as I thought they would be when the bottle was cracked. Sweetened grapefruit comes through mid palate. Good but nothing really stands out.

Medium bodied and velvety smooth with a moderate lingering bitterness on the finish.

I can drink these pretty easily. Balanced flavors keep this beer an easy drinker.

Maybe this bottle is a little past it's prime. I have a couple more so if things change this review will be updated. Solid IPA but nothing to set it apart. (1,207 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a superbly clear deep copper color with a finger of white head that falls quickly to a light coat over top. Good looker. Nose is resinous, with big American citrusy, juicy hops over top a very sweet caramel base. I really like the nose here. Flavor is more malt focused. Good caramel and light toasty base. The hoppy flavors are lighter citrusy and a kiss of earthyness, with a good resinous peppery bitter on the finish that hangs on well after the finish. Feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Pretty standard, and not setting itself apart. This is a pretty solid brew. No hint of the 7% ABV anywhere. The bittering hop is a touch too strong for me, and I would like to see more flavor hop coming through. Overall, this one is pretty nice. (755 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

The beer pours a rich amber with no head. Modest hop aroma with sweet malt and almost no alcohol. The taste is booming hops with a little sweetness from the malt to follow. Relatively smooth and balanced towards the end, quite enjoyable. This is really an IPA you can drink 20oz of, I would recommend it to west coast IPA lovers. (329 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Lightly hazed amber-orange colour, one finger of off white head, really good retention and some lace. Smell is a mix of citrusy pine and toasty malt, biscuit like, grapefruit and orange with a faint suggestion of alcohol. Taste is full of dry citrusy hops, mango, orange and grapefruit, big bitterness with a bit of malt toward the finish and a little warming alcohol. Light carbonation, medium body, thick and resinous at times, good mouthfeel. For an IPA that was nearly 4 months old to the day this was really good and probably stellar when fresh, so I will change my review upon a fresher bottle if need be but I would still drink one 4 months old. (652 characters)

Served in a Pint Glass

A- poured a deep amber, darker and a bit thicker than most IPA's. Decent 1-2 finger head that lasts throughout the pour. A nice looking beer that beckons the drinker.

S- Fairly average in my opinion a nice floral hop smell with a bit of sweetness and character. The smell however was not as strong or as balanced as I would have liked as the hops overpower many of the lesser notes.

M- Again pretty good, not great. Crisp and refreshing as an IPA should be but the darker color does lend a nice thickness that is appreciated in the mouth,

T- Very nice floral hop front that dissipates into some sweet citrus and maybe apple. There is something to be desired however as the flavors don't meld as well with one another as I would have hoped.

O- Due to the influx of American IPA's, my personal belief is that some of these brews can become rather complacent in mimicking what has become immensely popular throughout the states. While this is a very nice beer it still left something to be desired on my end that had me searching from something else instead of all of what was purchased. (1,112 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch and a half of light tan head. This beer is orangish amber in color with yeast suspended throughout. The smell is citrus, mostly orange and grapefruit, with some pine in there as well. The taste focuses more on the bitter aspect. The citrus is well hidden amongst the barrage of piny hops. I knew going into this beer that it would numb my palate. I prefer my mid-western ipa's. I am finally embracing this style but my palate is not ready for the west coast hop bombs. I like my ipa's nice and citrusy. I love the smell but I prefer to taste more than just bitterness. (606 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Orange golden with a perfectly clear body. Sticky lacing left on the sides.

S: Pine and citrus fruits. Not much here though; although I don't really care much for how a beer smells.

T: Pine, grass, citrus, apple, orange peel, caramel malt, and saltine cracker. Nice taste to this one. For a double it drinks like a regular pale almost.

M: Medium and oily. Just the way I like it.

O: Not bad at all. Not the most amazing thing out there, but a very good beer. Nice flavor and nice mouth feel. It's a winner for me. (524 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle as Butler falls to Marquette off a wacky last second three point hook shot heave.

Pours a beautiful light amber with a massive head. On my second pour into the glass, I took as aggressive a pour as possible, and for a brief moment, there was literally ALL head in the glass. Woah. The nose has more going on than I can properly parse apart, but the bottle text hits me in the lane with an assist: pine, florals, grapefruit (rind!). Having been properly educated, I can detect these widely varying smells. The taste is equally complex: strong hop bitterness with the individual flavors rotating on a wonderful beer merry-go-round. The ride doesn't stop with the swallow, and really keeps going for quite a bit. Impressive. Not as sessionable with all the intensity of the bitterness, but certainly an important IPA experience. Keep this one spinning. (857 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a hazy amber color, with a decent looking head.

Aromas are of citrus and pine. The smells are light, but crisp and pleasant.

Beer comes off as quite dry. The main flavors noticed is the hops. Noticed bitterness, grapefruit, and a touch of sourness on the finish. This is pretty hoppy for a standard IPA. But it is from the West Coast... this might be a touch out of balance, not much in the way of malts that I can I taste.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. This beer seems a bit gritty though. There is also quite a lingering effect from this one... a bitter sourness that really hangs around.

All in all, I liked this beer. But the balance seems off. I am a big time hop lover, but this beer needs a bit more to it than just the bitterness I tasted.

This beer must have had a long journey before it got to me. CA to MD, then MD back to CA thanks to MuenchenerKindl. (882 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Smells incredibly hoppy. Citric, pine, and floral. Mild chocolate/bread malt underneath. Fairly good balance and definitely strong.

Pours a copper gold color, good clarity, moderate head with limited retention.

First sip opens a world of hop abuse. Strong floral/leafy/fresh hops with citric, pine, and fruit notes beat up the tongue. Grapefruit and pear. Good, solid bitterness. Substantial tartness. Mild-moderate malt can be found under the hops. Notes of chocolate and bread. Enough malt to make a decent balance in spite of the hop thrashing. Finishes dry and hoppy with plenty of bitterness.

So much raw hoppage!, this is very West Coast. The sheer hop magnitude gets in the way of my carelessly enjoying this one. My stomach even kind of hurts; and I sure don't want two in a row. As much of a hop-head as I am, this is borderline too-hardcore to be cool. I don't like to shun a beer for being overly hoppy, so I won't. Instead, I'll say that either my palate is too young or too sensitive to appreciate this hop-bomb. Respect. (1,038 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a copper type orange color with a medium sized head that slowly settles to leave a decent sized covering. There is a lot of sediment in my glass also. Pretty cloudy.
Big pungent fresh hop aroma, mainly characterized by earthy, slightly floral and pine tones. There are hints of a hop fruitiness present also....I may even get hints of apple?
Big bitter hoppiness hits me first, lush fresh hops is the biggest characteristic following along with its aroma, piney, slightly spicy, and hints of citrus characteristics. Pretty damn well balanced considering this is a 7% beer. Alcohol is not easily precieved for the most part. Malt sweetness is present in the dry finish.
Fairly drinkable, tasty enough that you want another if you really like big hop profiles but a pretty big beer that can catch up with you quickly. I'll be picking up more of this. (858 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Pale cloudy amber in color. Nice thick, rocky off-white head with excellent retention. Plenty of lacing to go around. There is floating debris. I Don't know if that's normal for this beer.

S - In the nose you immediately get fresh piney hops and lots of it. Although the hops are very aromatic the malt comes through nicely in the background sweetening it up a bit and leaving a pleasant grassy character.

T - Tons of piney hops up front that devastate the palate with bitterness. In a good way. The malts also seem to be playing their part well to balance it all out.

M - A tad light bodied. Sort of thin. Carbonation is good though.

D/N - Pretty drinkable stuff here. Could easily relax and drink this beer through the night. Although Im not sure the price is right for this one. (789 characters)

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.