Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,801 | Hads: 7,470
3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Nice appearance. One-finger head, that sticks like glue to the glass.

Mild pineapple, citrus aromas with a touch of pine. Some sweet maltiness comes through and just a tad bit of alcohol.

The taste was a bit underwhelming as compared to the aroma. Citrus upfront gives way to a strong hop-bitterness. That happiness is balanced slightly by the maltiness. You also get a touch of the alcohol but not as much as you'd think for a 7.3% ABV.

Mouthfeel is medium with a nice carbonation level.

Truthfully, I was expecting more from this beer. It could be a less-than-fresh bottle perhaps, but I can think of at least 10 other IPA's that I enjoy more. Still, I wouldn't turn this away by any means.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle..Perfectly clear deep amber/copper coloured body with strong ruby highlights and a thinnish white head. Aroma of very fresh grassy hops along with citrus notes, perfumy notes and even more hops! Medium-bodied; Strong hop bitterness up front fading to a good malt backbone then back to some citrusy type hops. The aftertaste shows a lot of the hops with a bit of the grassyness from above and a good bit of malt. Overall, a good IPA.

12oz Bottle
$1.50 single
Liquid Solutions

As soon as the top pops on West Coast I.P.A I can tell I'm in for a treat. Nothing but hops after opening. Poured a crystal clear polished copper that got a little hazy after I dumped the yeasties in there without even thinking. A two finger white billowy head formed on the pour that just stayed put. Leaves sheet lacing down the glass.

The solid head on this beer is holding some of the aroma at bay. The aroma is still solid and nothing but sugared grapefruit. Mild caramel in the background. Simple but yummy.

Flavor isn't near as good as I was expecting. As a matter of fact it's just ok. Caramel malt starts things off and is bigger than expected. The hops aren't as pronounced as I thought they would be when the bottle was cracked. Sweetened grapefruit comes through mid palate. Good but nothing really stands out.

Medium bodied and velvety smooth with a moderate lingering bitterness on the finish.

I can drink these pretty easily. Balanced flavors keep this beer an easy drinker.

Maybe this bottle is a little past it's prime. I have a couple more so if things change this review will be updated. Solid IPA but nothing to set it apart.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a superbly clear deep copper color with a finger of white head that falls quickly to a light coat over top. Good looker. Nose is resinous, with big American citrusy, juicy hops over top a very sweet caramel base. I really like the nose here. Flavor is more malt focused. Good caramel and light toasty base. The hoppy flavors are lighter citrusy and a kiss of earthyness, with a good resinous peppery bitter on the finish that hangs on well after the finish. Feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Pretty standard, and not setting itself apart. This is a pretty solid brew. No hint of the 7% ABV anywhere. The bittering hop is a touch too strong for me, and I would like to see more flavor hop coming through. Overall, this one is pretty nice.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

The beer pours a rich amber with no head. Modest hop aroma with sweet malt and almost no alcohol. The taste is booming hops with a little sweetness from the malt to follow. Relatively smooth and balanced towards the end, quite enjoyable. This is really an IPA you can drink 20oz of, I would recommend it to west coast IPA lovers.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Lightly hazed amber-orange colour, one finger of off white head, really good retention and some lace. Smell is a mix of citrusy pine and toasty malt, biscuit like, grapefruit and orange with a faint suggestion of alcohol. Taste is full of dry citrusy hops, mango, orange and grapefruit, big bitterness with a bit of malt toward the finish and a little warming alcohol. Light carbonation, medium body, thick and resinous at times, good mouthfeel. For an IPA that was nearly 4 months old to the day this was really good and probably stellar when fresh, so I will change my review upon a fresher bottle if need be but I would still drink one 4 months old.

Served in a Pint Glass

A- poured a deep amber, darker and a bit thicker than most IPA's. Decent 1-2 finger head that lasts throughout the pour. A nice looking beer that beckons the drinker.

S- Fairly average in my opinion a nice floral hop smell with a bit of sweetness and character. The smell however was not as strong or as balanced as I would have liked as the hops overpower many of the lesser notes.

M- Again pretty good, not great. Crisp and refreshing as an IPA should be but the darker color does lend a nice thickness that is appreciated in the mouth,

T- Very nice floral hop front that dissipates into some sweet citrus and maybe apple. There is something to be desired however as the flavors don't meld as well with one another as I would have hoped.

O- Due to the influx of American IPA's, my personal belief is that some of these brews can become rather complacent in mimicking what has become immensely popular throughout the states. While this is a very nice beer it still left something to be desired on my end that had me searching from something else instead of all of what was purchased.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch and a half of light tan head. This beer is orangish amber in color with yeast suspended throughout. The smell is citrus, mostly orange and grapefruit, with some pine in there as well. The taste focuses more on the bitter aspect. The citrus is well hidden amongst the barrage of piny hops. I knew going into this beer that it would numb my palate. I prefer my mid-western ipa's. I am finally embracing this style but my palate is not ready for the west coast hop bombs. I like my ipa's nice and citrusy. I love the smell but I prefer to taste more than just bitterness.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Orange golden with a perfectly clear body. Sticky lacing left on the sides.

S: Pine and citrus fruits. Not much here though; although I don't really care much for how a beer smells.

T: Pine, grass, citrus, apple, orange peel, caramel malt, and saltine cracker. Nice taste to this one. For a double it drinks like a regular pale almost.

M: Medium and oily. Just the way I like it.

O: Not bad at all. Not the most amazing thing out there, but a very good beer. Nice flavor and nice mouth feel. It's a winner for me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle as Butler falls to Marquette off a wacky last second three point hook shot heave.

Pours a beautiful light amber with a massive head. On my second pour into the glass, I took as aggressive a pour as possible, and for a brief moment, there was literally ALL head in the glass. Woah. The nose has more going on than I can properly parse apart, but the bottle text hits me in the lane with an assist: pine, florals, grapefruit (rind!). Having been properly educated, I can detect these widely varying smells. The taste is equally complex: strong hop bitterness with the individual flavors rotating on a wonderful beer merry-go-round. The ride doesn't stop with the swallow, and really keeps going for quite a bit. Impressive. Not as sessionable with all the intensity of the bitterness, but certainly an important IPA experience. Keep this one spinning.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a hazy amber color, with a decent looking head.

Aromas are of citrus and pine. The smells are light, but crisp and pleasant.

Beer comes off as quite dry. The main flavors noticed is the hops. Noticed bitterness, grapefruit, and a touch of sourness on the finish. This is pretty hoppy for a standard IPA. But it is from the West Coast... this might be a touch out of balance, not much in the way of malts that I can I taste.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. This beer seems a bit gritty though. There is also quite a lingering effect from this one... a bitter sourness that really hangs around.

All in all, I liked this beer. But the balance seems off. I am a big time hop lover, but this beer needs a bit more to it than just the bitterness I tasted.

This beer must have had a long journey before it got to me. CA to MD, then MD back to CA thanks to MuenchenerKindl.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Smells incredibly hoppy. Citric, pine, and floral. Mild chocolate/bread malt underneath. Fairly good balance and definitely strong.

Pours a copper gold color, good clarity, moderate head with limited retention.

First sip opens a world of hop abuse. Strong floral/leafy/fresh hops with citric, pine, and fruit notes beat up the tongue. Grapefruit and pear. Good, solid bitterness. Substantial tartness. Mild-moderate malt can be found under the hops. Notes of chocolate and bread. Enough malt to make a decent balance in spite of the hop thrashing. Finishes dry and hoppy with plenty of bitterness.

So much raw hoppage!, this is very West Coast. The sheer hop magnitude gets in the way of my carelessly enjoying this one. My stomach even kind of hurts; and I sure don't want two in a row. As much of a hop-head as I am, this is borderline too-hardcore to be cool. I don't like to shun a beer for being overly hoppy, so I won't. Instead, I'll say that either my palate is too young or too sensitive to appreciate this hop-bomb. Respect.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a copper type orange color with a medium sized head that slowly settles to leave a decent sized covering. There is a lot of sediment in my glass also. Pretty cloudy.
Big pungent fresh hop aroma, mainly characterized by earthy, slightly floral and pine tones. There are hints of a hop fruitiness present also....I may even get hints of apple?
Big bitter hoppiness hits me first, lush fresh hops is the biggest characteristic following along with its aroma, piney, slightly spicy, and hints of citrus characteristics. Pretty damn well balanced considering this is a 7% beer. Alcohol is not easily precieved for the most part. Malt sweetness is present in the dry finish.
Fairly drinkable, tasty enough that you want another if you really like big hop profiles but a pretty big beer that can catch up with you quickly. I'll be picking up more of this.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Pale cloudy amber in color. Nice thick, rocky off-white head with excellent retention. Plenty of lacing to go around. There is floating debris. I Don't know if that's normal for this beer.

S - In the nose you immediately get fresh piney hops and lots of it. Although the hops are very aromatic the malt comes through nicely in the background sweetening it up a bit and leaving a pleasant grassy character.

T - Tons of piney hops up front that devastate the palate with bitterness. In a good way. The malts also seem to be playing their part well to balance it all out.

M - A tad light bodied. Sort of thin. Carbonation is good though.

D/N - Pretty drinkable stuff here. Could easily relax and drink this beer through the night. Although Im not sure the price is right for this one.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottle date: Unk, but I've been assured this is fresh.

A: pours golden ale with excellent clarity and a single finger of peanut head. This falls slowly to a quilt of the same. Ring lacing. Not a bad looker.

S: Dank. As. Fuck. Wow. this was named appropriately; 100% west coast sentiment. Pine, weed, citrus, weed and pine. When I'm brewing, I always smell the hops prior to adding them. This stinks like simcoe, cascade, and centennial - if I recall. Good shit.

T: I have been caught off guard! Malty, superior and balanced. Bitter, caramel, piny, resiny, citric rinds.... Just a hare more bitter than I typically go for.

M: medium bodied with hi carb. Dry finish. Like a hint of weness on the finish.

O: Nice brew - would likely turn me drunk very quickly. I dig it.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I love the style, and this beer is an innovator but....it tastes a hair bit like a rusty tin can. Very up front, very bitter/abrasive, subtlety and nuance are not the name of the game with this in your face hop monster. If you're a hop head...step right up and take the challenge.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours dark amber with 2 finger off-white head. Good retention and lacing. Aroma of pine resin, citrus zest, malts, pineapple and mango. Very malty with caramel and toffee notes. Huge pine resin on the back end that really sticks around. Full body with moderate carbonation, finishes super dry. That dry bitter finish compromises the drinkability. Overall it is a very well crafted and balanced IPA, but the bitter dry back end makes it less appealing in my IPA repertoire.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a one finger yellow-tan head over a particulated apricot color liquid. Smells pith and some light esters. Woodsy oranges and tangerine. Tastes oranges and pith. Sharp clean hop bitter, grassy is low. Potent bitter is above all, but hop flavor is nearly comperable. Peach fuzzy. Pith is drying in the end, but allows a fruity sweet to rise a touch in the aftertaste. Md body and md-heavy carbonation.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

West Coast IPA is an orange/amber color with a 1/4" off-white head. The head falls quickly to a cap and leaves a good lattice of lacework.

The nose is full of piney hops and ripe grapefruit. Orange peel. Appropriately named as this has a classic West Coast IPA aroma.

Juicy citrus, tangy pine in the initial taste. Very hopped up and nice bitterness.

Full, round mouthfeel. Nice bitter finish. Good drinkability. I agree with my main man, tryemall(thanks for the beer!), this beer could benefit from a little more malt backbone. Otherwise, very nice, very hoppy W.C. IPA.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

A - A not-so-careful pour yields a 1/2 finger khaki colored head. Tons of sediment from the bottom of the bottle managed to make it's way into my pour, so there are a few nice-sized chunks of spent yeast/hops.

S - Grapefruity, pineappley hops! It's been a minute since an IPA I've drank had such a nose. Great smelling brew. Piney hops in the back.

T - Pretty nice taste, but I'm not huge on the finish. The hop oils are a little much for a standard AIPA. Tastes like someone squeezing a pine tree into your mouth. I like it, but have had better.

M - Slightly undercarbonated for my tastes, but pretty nice body.

D - I had really high hopes for this but the finish kills it a little for me. It's bitter as hell, and yes, it does ease up the more you drink it... it totally wrecks your palate.

Notes: I'd pick this up again, but not as consistently as say, Two Hearted, or Snoqualmie Wildcat. I have one more in the fridge, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it... but I'll remember that this one beats the hell out of your tongue.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

a plain orange copper that produces a huge eggshell colored head that retains and laces well.

ahhh. pine. hoppy aroma of pine needles, and some citrus rind. not terribly complex, but oh so appetizing.

flavor is a bit of a letdown from the aroma, but not terribly. the pine fades to the background while the citrus rind and bitter hops come out front. malt is barely detectable and quite lackluster, but its not the main attraction here. there is a little white bread and a touch of toast.

light medium bodied with a syrupy feel after the swallow and a touch of heat with a long lasting bitter aftertaste.

drinks ok. a bit harsh from the hop profile and slight alcohol burn. would like a bit more pleasant hop flavor to work alongside the hop bitterness. good, but not great. definitely not a gateway beer. you have to love hops and bitterness to enjoy this one.

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured form a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Orangeish apperance with a nice white head that takes it time to disapate. Smells…Pine, Hops, lots of hops some citrus notes are prevalent as well. Taste is what I've come to expect from these West Coast styles, the first thing that my tounge noticed was the hoppy, piney taste that I love. Real nice mouthfeel, bitter but also some malts in there to balance it out. Awesome. The ABV is disguised well here so tread carefully but Enjoy!

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz squatty bottle with no best by date printed, even though there is a dedicated spot for one on the bottle!

A — Pours a nice and vibrant orange hue into the glass, pretty bright, almost a bit of a reddish tinge around the edges. There is an initially tall and off-white colored head that forms, it does settle to a nice thin layer atop the beer, leaving behind some consistent and sticky rings of lace with each sip.

S — Smells quite pungent and oddly malt forward first, though there does seem to be a really nice piney, pungent, bitter character underneath it all.

T — Taste is predicated by a bitter, piney, earthy, herbaceous, dank, resinous hop profile, little to no juiciness or sweetness, it is a really nice bitter piney treat. There is enough malt to balance it out but its quite bitter and nice.

M — Medium bodied, long and lingering finish is nice.

O — Very nicely done, and still remains a classic, this is extremely bitter and dry, no nonsense, just bitter hops in your face.

A - Translucent caramel amber, mediocre head with low retention

S - Lemon peel, lots of pine, white grape juice

T - The bitterness plays out really interestingly. There's a big hop kick on the first sip that keeps you on the edge of your seat, waiting for a wallop of bitterness, but it doesn't hit you right away. It makes you double check the 95 IBU label on the bottle. The bitterness is incredibly delayed, and shows up deep into the aftertaste. That said, it overlaps and builds between sips. It's a little overpowering after a while as you realize they didn't miss a decimal place on the IBUS. The flavor profile includes pine, spice, pepper, and Campari.

M - Nice body, very smooth. The bitterness really lingers.

D - I split a 12oz bottle with a friend, and we both had our fill after drinking our half.

O - A niche beer that's more of a bitter novelty than a session beer.

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a bottle into a pint glass in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Smell is mild and of pine/hops.

Appearance is dark golden bronze.

Taste is a very smooth, nice malt to hops ballance.

Mouthfeel is clean and smooth, no alcohol bite.

Overall a very good California IPA easily accessible here in Nebraska...gbr!

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.