Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,244 | Reviews: 1,847

A. Hazy, but vibrant glowing copper yellow with foamy head.

S. Grassy hops, citrus, pine and lemon.

T. Fresh hops take center stage in this brew, very floral, but bitter and not sweet. piney and hoppy resin flavor with grassy, but clean finish.

M. Munchy but clean and crisp, each sip has you reaching for more and more.

O. Solid stand by IPA of mine for the last 10 years. It is sad to see the price keeps climbing on this brew. Also the bottles, although nice, seem a bit excessive. An empty bottle weighs 4x more then an average empty bottle, which to me seems like a waste of natural resources and an unnecessary expense being passed on to the consumer in the end.

anyone know when this brew will be on tap in the boston area? apparently i have to write at least 250 "characters" here - i keep looking up area places to see if they have it listed as being on tap . . . but no luck . . .SO FAR . . . . . . . . .

IPA don't get much better in my opinion.

4.99/5  rDev +18.2%

A: Brilliant amber under a 2” off-white foam cap that leaves specs of lace.
S: Minty, citrusy nose with traces of fresh sawdust.
T: A slightly sweet big melon presence supported by a strong malt character dries out in a herbal, grapefruit and pine bitter finish. While hop driven there is a strong balancing grainy malt backbone for support.
M: Rich and creamy, medium full body, medium carbonation.
O: Green Flash provides a lesson in how to do hops to maximize the flavor while retaining a dominating hop bitterness.

4.98/5  rDev +18%

Appearance: Perfect dark copper color
Smell: As I crack the bottle open, humongous hints of pine hit me in the face. I pour it in a glass and can smell it from 3 feet away.
Taste: Foretaste a huge amount of pine. Back end has the sourness of grapefruit. Aftertaste sticks around an incredibly long time. Some malts in there- enough to keep minimal balance. A few minutes later i'm thinking, "Wow this is bitter!"
Mouthfeel: Definitely a warmth after a few sips
Overall: This is easily the best beer I've ever had

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

On an iPhone so I'll be brief.

Looks incredible. Fluffy white head that sticks around and leaves a great lacing. Bit cloudy golden orange.

Smell is amazing. Rich simcoe sherbert fruit aromas. Tons of citrus and preserved fruits. Unreal.

So good. If this isn't a 5 what is? Everything that the nose promised is here in spades. Verrry slight sweetness apparent before hardcore lasting bitter finish.

Full but still super clean and crisp in the mouth.

I never want to not be drinking this.

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Pliny is a great IPA, but I like this one better, so I am surprised how low down it is in the rankings. Maybe the maltiness makes it too dark and heavy for some people? Anyway, I like it. The complexity of aroma is matched by only a few brews, including Pliny, Ballast Point, and ones not generally available such as 50-50 Imperial IPA (Truckee) or Chama IPA (New Mexico).

notes from 5/26 blind ipa tasting

pours hazy amber orange 1/2 finger head with lacing all over

smell was big pine and grapfruit

taste - oh yes on intial sip you know this has made in cali all over it and properly named "west coast ipa" - pine fruity grapefruit hops with a good creamy malt backbone

mouthfeel - medium body with both a crisp and creamy feel - i dont know how they do it

drinkability - i am all over this one - a big west coast ipa with solid malts - i found my winner

over this beer finished 1st in blind tasting
rankings on tasting 1-8 GFlash-2Hrtd-BigEye=Hop3-CorneDuDiable-60min=AlphaKing-Hdevil

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This brew poured a cloudy orange color with some sediment floating in it. The head was a full two fingers and pure white. It dissipated relatively quickly, leaving mild lacing on the glass. On the nose, I got lots of fresh hoppy goodness with some citrus as well. This smelled like something that I’m really going to like. On the first sip, I get some definite hops with grapefruit flavors, but more intense than I expected. It was also a bit on the oily side towards the end. Pine came up next. Hops definitely overwhelm the palate and the malt gets lost, which is totally fine by me. The moderate carbonation really went well with the flavors of the beer. The finish lingered for awhile with the sticky, grapefruit flavors. Also, the booze was really well hidden in the brew. I could put away a few of these without any problem. I would definitely have this again. This is a brew that really helped my hop head craving.

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

A--Somewhat cloudy amber-copper with slight but long-lasting head, miniscule bubbles.

S--Oh what a beautiful, harmonious cornucopia of ingredients--a wonderful, natural fruitiness as well as earthy, pungent and floral; seems to come from both malts and hops.

T--Wow, just wow. Taste follows nose--variety of hops dance around the malts in a way that the malts have an almost whiskey character to the fruit--beer is nice and bitter on the back of the tongue, but is also explosively flavorful throughout the palate much like a high-quality spirit. Perfect example of a balanced yet hop-dominant beer.

M-feel--Complex in the best way.

Overall--A masterpiece. Seems to bring out what's best in several standard hops AND malts all at the same time in ways that few breweries have accomplished.

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

12/31/12 - 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep golden color, verging on amber. Darker than the typical west coast IPA, with a slight chill haze that clears as the beer warms. Traces of sediment remain in suspension in the glass - either from yeast or hops, or both. Pours one and a half fingers of nearly white head that leaves a solid sheet of lacing that beautifully coats the glass.

Aroma: Hops, hops, and more hops. The complexity in the hop profile is the best I've ever experienced. Bitter/sweet grapefruit and sweet orange zest dance on a soft bed of spring flowers with a subtle hint of pine.

Taste: Huge citrus bitterness up front - ruby red grapefruit - followed by sweet citrus - fresh squeezed orange juice. Hop flavors carry throughout, with hints of caramel malt backbone mid-palate. Slight pine pungency. Both sweet and bitter citrus fade into the finish, like chewing a fresh clementine - seeds and all.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Moderately light carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall: Perfectly amazing west coast style IPA. Quite possibly my favorite example of quite possibly my favorite style. The only detraction is that the color is slightly darker than I prefer in an IPA. Definitely one of my favorite beers.

Score: 99

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

A: A very deep orange auburnish color with a fluffy white head that diminishes to a thin ring around the edge and leaves some nice sticky lacing on the glass.

S: A very big piney citrusy oily hop bomb for your nose! Just a hint of maltiness hiding in the background.

T: Just like it smells. Big hop bomb in your mouth. Very oily and bitter.

M: Nice medium body that leaves your mouth with this oily thickness that lets you savor the beer even more.

D: I know 7% isn't very drinkable for a lot of people, but its around my average so I find this to be very drinkable. I will definitely buy more of this!

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

on my mission to try everyones varieties of ipa's i put this at the top. with a smash in the mouth taste, all these different hop signature characters do their jobs extemely well!. if you like the "piney" ipas, then this should please you. it is hoppy, but has a lot to offer. their hop head red is also a great find!!!.

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer has the perfect bite for an IPA. The burst of grapefruit taste in your mouth keeps you wanting more. As with most of the IPA's that I drink, I like to savor this one over an hour to get the full range of flavors. I know it may be hard to do your first time, because it taste so darn good, but maybe slow it down on your second. You won't be disappointed.

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

I had this beer at a local pub in my area (porter's pub), i've had numerous IPA's (i am a true hophead), this one standed out to me as one of the best if not the best i've ever had. Definately more appealing to me then your average IPA. Has a unique crisp feel to it that alot of IPA's don't have. I don't know why maybe a little less malt than other brands? Anyway the hop flavor dominated my palate more than i had expected for a single IPA. This beer may be even more hoppy than numerous double IPA's i have tried but without the thick and syrupy feel. If you ever get the chance to try this beer on tap - do not turn it down. I ended up having 4 of these in a row because of how pleased i was with it. West coast IPA's are clearly dominant in this style.

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This is my favorite IPA going. Poured 12 oz bottle into my 13 oz tulip glass. A very hazey, bright orange, with a 2 inch white head, that is sticky as any IPA I have had. Lacing hangs out for the beers duration. The smell is piney, grapefruit, with a hint of a toffee. This is a very powerful, hops forward beer. The 95 IBU's were used to perfection. Even being two months old, the hops have held up very well. The mouthfeel is big for a IPA, with plenty of life. I know people say there are better IPA's around, but I have yet to have one!

4.96/5  rDev +17.5%

A- dark golden copper color.

S- nice hoppiness, pine, floral, sweet citrus.

T- huge dank hops and pine when you first sip. Citrus, good floral, grapefruit, mango, and burnt bready malt.

M- medium bodied and good carbonation. Refreshing.

O- a truly fantastic DIPA. I really enjoy this brew. Definitely up there on my list.

4.96/5  rDev +17.5%

A: It is a very dark amber with a minimal amount of head

S: The smell is fantastic with the right blend of hops, citrus, and pine

T: Love the taste as it tastes exactly like it smells.

M: Very crisp beer with a little carbonation.

O: I love this beer and it is one of my favorite IPA's. To me it is that beer that if a place has it, I get it.

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

10-28-06: Edit. After sampling tons of IPA's I've come back to re-review this as it is the this households #1 beer. Simply amazing and seems to get better every batch.

Original Review:
Gotta love this brew. Ultra citrus, apricot, young grapefruit, and hoppy as hell. Big white head that falls slowly to a solid rooftop covering. Lots of hops in the smell.

West Coast IPA....this is a good one to compare all others to and in my opinion the best single IPA i've had. Ridiculous freshness in the hop profile. Medium bitterness from start to finish. Hop oils and citrus linger long into the aftertaste. Fucking awesome brew. This will make you grow hair on your back...and you'll go back for more.

Notes: I've yet to find an IPA as solid as this from top to bottom. Throw in the fact its priced at $7 bucks a sixpack it then becomes even harder to argue against this brew. THE BEST!

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

My new favorite DIPA.. where to start this beer really rolled out the red carpet for hops! The pour was smooth with a minimal effort head with great retention and sticky lacing the color is almost tinted ruby red the head also slightly tinted ruby red the smell was a citrusy and highly floral thanks to those cascade hops the taste was smooth citrus with layered pine into a comfortable bitter peace the alcohol is so well hidden when cold but dont let the smooth taste fool you! The alcohol will punch you in the mouth when warm but it's refreshing.. Pretty amazed by this beer don't let that simple label fool you this modest beast will take your taste buds for a ride... West Coast IPA

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

My second review. For what its' worth, my first was the SN Torpedo--my other drink of choice.

This is simply a fantastic drink. I was standing at the back of Taylor's market here in Sac town, with a gal ponderin' her purchase next to me. I grabbed a six'er of Torpedos and she grabbed this (still a six'er at the time). We chatted at length, were joined by two others, and had an IPA fanfest as she described it.

By her advice, my next purchase was a six'er of these, and boy was I not disappointed. What a great beer! As advertised, this truly embodies the West Coast taste--hoppy--that 3 C's hops taste that is fresh, fruity, tart, bitter and fresh. Clearly, a great summer/spring beer (nothing wrong during Fall/winter though). The truly distinguishing characteristic is the tartness (some say grapefruit taste).

While some like IPA's due to the ramped up IBU's--and count me as one, this one should have a ITU (international tartness) rating as this is about as close to the mixed drink, Greyhound (Gin and grapefruit), as a beer can get.

I vary this with Torpedo's as my daily brew, although the Torpedo is my main standby. Great body, nice alcohol masking, nice finish, with a touch of malt sweetness to balance the bitterness and tartness. Maybe a wee bit more malt would make this a beer more apropo to those times a guzzlin' like a super bowl gathering (well, along with the old six'er price), but as is, when sitting down for a delectable beer or two, very, very hard to beat as is.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

Serving: Poured into my sturdy mug. Lots of nice particulate at the bottom of the bottle. Poured with care.

Appearance: Nice looking honey orange appearance. Yields a white, creamy, 2 finger head that just breaks down into nice clumps and hangs around for quite some time. Nice artistic lacing that hung to the glass and dried in place!

Smell: Wow!!! No doubt what this once is. Grapefruit and pine predominate. You smell the hops as soon as the cap clears the bottle.

Taste: Grapefruit & citrus at the outset. Finishes with some lingering sweetness from the malt. Nice balance while drinking. The bitterness lingers for quite some time after finishing. Very tasty!

Mouthfeel: Slightly sticky with a bit of oily feel on the tongue and roof of the mouth.

Drinkability: This is a delicious IPA that goes down easy, is well balanced, and hides the alcohol. Drinker beware at this ABV.

Overall: Excellent offering. This is a perfect rendition of a West Coast IPA with "in your face" hop presence. The drinkability is off the chart and there is a pleasant lingering flavor. This one is near the top of my list for tasted American IPA's.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance: Pours a microbeaded head that grabs and slips from the glass in scaly tufts. Its thin scalp is vigorously maintained with each tilt of the lifted glass as little torrents of bubbles rise from the deeps. The brew boasts a fierce orange-red-gold like the last of the sun thrown up (could it be... the green flash?). Unfiltered & hazy: a swirling effect.

Smell: Roaring pine bitters grab those Cascade florals like debris in a choked river and rip right up the nasal narrows. Lovely.

Taste: This one's a hop showcase, but what distinguishes its depth is the flush fullness presented across its range of hopping process: bittering, flavor and aroma all forward and brimming to capacity. A distinctly 'wet' character that brandishes the raw qualities of its constituents in strong balance. Bright and bitter tracks linger long across the roof of the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Slow-release carbonation complements its bitterness like salt to a tomato. Perception of stickiness.

Drinkability: This is not a muzzled session beer, nor is it a boozy boot to the head: the Flash earnestly deserves that each long draw be appreciated with relish. One could savor a few at leisure over an evening and be glad.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

O.K., I've now had the great pleasure of drinking 3 of these beers and happy to report that I have more in the fridge.

Everytime I have one I think one thing...

Cascade Hop Bomb!! And this is a compliment.

I love this beer and if you are a hop head, specifically a Cascade Hop head, you will love it as well. Get it whatever it takes.

Wonderful thick head greets you and announces you are about to have a special beer. Then you are smacked with the huge fresh hop aroma. Pine/Citrus earthy.. Just awesome.

The flavor lives up to the great aroma and follows through with the Cascade Bomb.

Mouthfeel is wonderful and this is a "chewy" beer that sticks with you between sips.

Nice lacing to further remind you of the great beer you are drinking.

Right now this is my favorite IPA...

If I'm stranded on an island, this is the one I want a case of....

Do yourself a favor and try it soon.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

Simply one of the best American I.P.A.s.
Beautiful amber-golden appearance.
Rich, fruity, hoppy smell. Strong honey and floral characteristics.
Amazing melon and orange flavors up front tapering off into perfect hoppy bitterness.
A delicious and satisfying brew.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.