Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,797 | Hads: 7,411

notes from 5/26 blind ipa tasting

pours hazy amber orange 1/2 finger head with lacing all over

smell was big pine and grapfruit

taste - oh yes on intial sip you know this has made in cali all over it and properly named "west coast ipa" - pine fruity grapefruit hops with a good creamy malt backbone

mouthfeel - medium body with both a crisp and creamy feel - i dont know how they do it

drinkability - i am all over this one - a big west coast ipa with solid malts - i found my winner

over this beer finished 1st in blind tasting
rankings on tasting 1-8 GFlash-2Hrtd-BigEye=Hop3-CorneDuDiable-60min=AlphaKing-Hdevil

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

This brew poured a cloudy orange color with some sediment floating in it. The head was a full two fingers and pure white. It dissipated relatively quickly, leaving mild lacing on the glass. On the nose, I got lots of fresh hoppy goodness with some citrus as well. This smelled like something that I’m really going to like. On the first sip, I get some definite hops with grapefruit flavors, but more intense than I expected. It was also a bit on the oily side towards the end. Pine came up next. Hops definitely overwhelm the palate and the malt gets lost, which is totally fine by me. The moderate carbonation really went well with the flavors of the beer. The finish lingered for awhile with the sticky, grapefruit flavors. Also, the booze was really well hidden in the brew. I could put away a few of these without any problem. I would definitely have this again. This is a brew that really helped my hop head craving.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

A--Somewhat cloudy amber-copper with slight but long-lasting head, miniscule bubbles.

S--Oh what a beautiful, harmonious cornucopia of ingredients--a wonderful, natural fruitiness as well as earthy, pungent and floral; seems to come from both malts and hops.

T--Wow, just wow. Taste follows nose--variety of hops dance around the malts in a way that the malts have an almost whiskey character to the fruit--beer is nice and bitter on the back of the tongue, but is also explosively flavorful throughout the palate much like a high-quality spirit. Perfect example of a balanced yet hop-dominant beer.

M-feel--Complex in the best way.

Overall--A masterpiece. Seems to bring out what's best in several standard hops AND malts all at the same time in ways that few breweries have accomplished.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

12/31/12 - 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep golden color, verging on amber. Darker than the typical west coast IPA, with a slight chill haze that clears as the beer warms. Traces of sediment remain in suspension in the glass - either from yeast or hops, or both. Pours one and a half fingers of nearly white head that leaves a solid sheet of lacing that beautifully coats the glass.

Aroma: Hops, hops, and more hops. The complexity in the hop profile is the best I've ever experienced. Bitter/sweet grapefruit and sweet orange zest dance on a soft bed of spring flowers with a subtle hint of pine.

Taste: Huge citrus bitterness up front - ruby red grapefruit - followed by sweet citrus - fresh squeezed orange juice. Hop flavors carry throughout, with hints of caramel malt backbone mid-palate. Slight pine pungency. Both sweet and bitter citrus fade into the finish, like chewing a fresh clementine - seeds and all.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Moderately light carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall: Perfectly amazing west coast style IPA. Quite possibly my favorite example of quite possibly my favorite style. The only detraction is that the color is slightly darker than I prefer in an IPA. Definitely one of my favorite beers.

Score: 99

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

A: A very deep orange auburnish color with a fluffy white head that diminishes to a thin ring around the edge and leaves some nice sticky lacing on the glass.

S: A very big piney citrusy oily hop bomb for your nose! Just a hint of maltiness hiding in the background.

T: Just like it smells. Big hop bomb in your mouth. Very oily and bitter.

M: Nice medium body that leaves your mouth with this oily thickness that lets you savor the beer even more.

D: I know 7% isn't very drinkable for a lot of people, but its around my average so I find this to be very drinkable. I will definitely buy more of this!

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

on my mission to try everyones varieties of ipa's i put this at the top. with a smash in the mouth taste, all these different hop signature characters do their jobs extemely well!. if you like the "piney" ipas, then this should please you. it is hoppy, but has a lot to offer. their hop head red is also a great find!!!.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer has the perfect bite for an IPA. The burst of grapefruit taste in your mouth keeps you wanting more. As with most of the IPA's that I drink, I like to savor this one over an hour to get the full range of flavors. I know it may be hard to do your first time, because it taste so darn good, but maybe slow it down on your second. You won't be disappointed.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

I had this beer at a local pub in my area (porter's pub), i've had numerous IPA's (i am a true hophead), this one standed out to me as one of the best if not the best i've ever had. Definately more appealing to me then your average IPA. Has a unique crisp feel to it that alot of IPA's don't have. I don't know why maybe a little less malt than other brands? Anyway the hop flavor dominated my palate more than i had expected for a single IPA. This beer may be even more hoppy than numerous double IPA's i have tried but without the thick and syrupy feel. If you ever get the chance to try this beer on tap - do not turn it down. I ended up having 4 of these in a row because of how pleased i was with it. West coast IPA's are clearly dominant in this style.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

This is my favorite IPA going. Poured 12 oz bottle into my 13 oz tulip glass. A very hazey, bright orange, with a 2 inch white head, that is sticky as any IPA I have had. Lacing hangs out for the beers duration. The smell is piney, grapefruit, with a hint of a toffee. This is a very powerful, hops forward beer. The 95 IBU's were used to perfection. Even being two months old, the hops have held up very well. The mouthfeel is big for a IPA, with plenty of life. I know people say there are better IPA's around, but I have yet to have one!

4.96/5  rDev +18.4%

A- dark golden copper color.

S- nice hoppiness, pine, floral, sweet citrus.

T- huge dank hops and pine when you first sip. Citrus, good floral, grapefruit, mango, and burnt bready malt.

M- medium bodied and good carbonation. Refreshing.

O- a truly fantastic DIPA. I really enjoy this brew. Definitely up there on my list.

4.96/5  rDev +18.4%

A: It is a very dark amber with a minimal amount of head

S: The smell is fantastic with the right blend of hops, citrus, and pine

T: Love the taste as it tastes exactly like it smells.

M: Very crisp beer with a little carbonation.

O: I love this beer and it is one of my favorite IPA's. To me it is that beer that if a place has it, I get it.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

10-28-06: Edit. After sampling tons of IPA's I've come back to re-review this as it is the this households #1 beer. Simply amazing and seems to get better every batch.

Original Review:
Gotta love this brew. Ultra citrus, apricot, young grapefruit, and hoppy as hell. Big white head that falls slowly to a solid rooftop covering. Lots of hops in the smell.

West Coast IPA....this is a good one to compare all others to and in my opinion the best single IPA i've had. Ridiculous freshness in the hop profile. Medium bitterness from start to finish. Hop oils and citrus linger long into the aftertaste. Fucking awesome brew. This will make you grow hair on your back...and you'll go back for more.

Notes: I've yet to find an IPA as solid as this from top to bottom. Throw in the fact its priced at $7 bucks a sixpack it then becomes even harder to argue against this brew. THE BEST!

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

My new favorite DIPA.. where to start this beer really rolled out the red carpet for hops! The pour was smooth with a minimal effort head with great retention and sticky lacing the color is almost tinted ruby red the head also slightly tinted ruby red the smell was a citrusy and highly floral thanks to those cascade hops the taste was smooth citrus with layered pine into a comfortable bitter peace the alcohol is so well hidden when cold but dont let the smooth taste fool you! The alcohol will punch you in the mouth when warm but it's refreshing.. Pretty amazed by this beer don't let that simple label fool you this modest beast will take your taste buds for a ride... West Coast IPA

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

My second review. For what its' worth, my first was the SN Torpedo--my other drink of choice.

This is simply a fantastic drink. I was standing at the back of Taylor's market here in Sac town, with a gal ponderin' her purchase next to me. I grabbed a six'er of Torpedos and she grabbed this (still a six'er at the time). We chatted at length, were joined by two others, and had an IPA fanfest as she described it.

By her advice, my next purchase was a six'er of these, and boy was I not disappointed. What a great beer! As advertised, this truly embodies the West Coast taste--hoppy--that 3 C's hops taste that is fresh, fruity, tart, bitter and fresh. Clearly, a great summer/spring beer (nothing wrong during Fall/winter though). The truly distinguishing characteristic is the tartness (some say grapefruit taste).

While some like IPA's due to the ramped up IBU's--and count me as one, this one should have a ITU (international tartness) rating as this is about as close to the mixed drink, Greyhound (Gin and grapefruit), as a beer can get.

I vary this with Torpedo's as my daily brew, although the Torpedo is my main standby. Great body, nice alcohol masking, nice finish, with a touch of malt sweetness to balance the bitterness and tartness. Maybe a wee bit more malt would make this a beer more apropo to those times a guzzlin' like a super bowl gathering (well, along with the old six'er price), but as is, when sitting down for a delectable beer or two, very, very hard to beat as is.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Serving: Poured into my sturdy mug. Lots of nice particulate at the bottom of the bottle. Poured with care.

Appearance: Nice looking honey orange appearance. Yields a white, creamy, 2 finger head that just breaks down into nice clumps and hangs around for quite some time. Nice artistic lacing that hung to the glass and dried in place!

Smell: Wow!!! No doubt what this once is. Grapefruit and pine predominate. You smell the hops as soon as the cap clears the bottle.

Taste: Grapefruit & citrus at the outset. Finishes with some lingering sweetness from the malt. Nice balance while drinking. The bitterness lingers for quite some time after finishing. Very tasty!

Mouthfeel: Slightly sticky with a bit of oily feel on the tongue and roof of the mouth.

Drinkability: This is a delicious IPA that goes down easy, is well balanced, and hides the alcohol. Drinker beware at this ABV.

Overall: Excellent offering. This is a perfect rendition of a West Coast IPA with "in your face" hop presence. The drinkability is off the chart and there is a pleasant lingering flavor. This one is near the top of my list for tasted American IPA's.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Pours a microbeaded head that grabs and slips from the glass in scaly tufts. Its thin scalp is vigorously maintained with each tilt of the lifted glass as little torrents of bubbles rise from the deeps. The brew boasts a fierce orange-red-gold like the last of the sun thrown up (could it be... the green flash?). Unfiltered & hazy: a swirling effect.

Smell: Roaring pine bitters grab those Cascade florals like debris in a choked river and rip right up the nasal narrows. Lovely.

Taste: This one's a hop showcase, but what distinguishes its depth is the flush fullness presented across its range of hopping process: bittering, flavor and aroma all forward and brimming to capacity. A distinctly 'wet' character that brandishes the raw qualities of its constituents in strong balance. Bright and bitter tracks linger long across the roof of the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Slow-release carbonation complements its bitterness like salt to a tomato. Perception of stickiness.

Drinkability: This is not a muzzled session beer, nor is it a boozy boot to the head: the Flash earnestly deserves that each long draw be appreciated with relish. One could savor a few at leisure over an evening and be glad.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

O.K., I've now had the great pleasure of drinking 3 of these beers and happy to report that I have more in the fridge.

Everytime I have one I think one thing...

Cascade Hop Bomb!! And this is a compliment.

I love this beer and if you are a hop head, specifically a Cascade Hop head, you will love it as well. Get it whatever it takes.

Wonderful thick head greets you and announces you are about to have a special beer. Then you are smacked with the huge fresh hop aroma. Pine/Citrus earthy.. Just awesome.

The flavor lives up to the great aroma and follows through with the Cascade Bomb.

Mouthfeel is wonderful and this is a "chewy" beer that sticks with you between sips.

Nice lacing to further remind you of the great beer you are drinking.

Right now this is my favorite IPA...

If I'm stranded on an island, this is the one I want a case of....

Do yourself a favor and try it soon.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Simply one of the best American I.P.A.s.
Beautiful amber-golden appearance.
Rich, fruity, hoppy smell. Strong honey and floral characteristics.
Amazing melon and orange flavors up front tapering off into perfect hoppy bitterness.
A delicious and satisfying brew.

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I first had this surprisingly at a local watering hole CJ & Ecks. Unassumingly I tried it expecting it to be a run of the mill IPA. The light amber color made it very 'yuengling lager' like in color. Nothing special concerning the carbontion, standard amount of white head.

The smell...the smell...amazing. Like walking through a forest of evergreens. Fresh. Piney. The taste was crisp, with some bite to it. IBUs are off the chart registering 95. I took a look at the website and it looks like four types of hops are used giving the entire spectrum of grapefruit, citrus, pine, and floral.

Green Flash Brewing Company doesn't have a large prescence on the East Coast but this beer does. Dare I say the Great American IPA?

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%

7.3% ABV

A: Straw in color with noticeable chill haze. There is a nice spongy white head on this brew. Great retention!

S: This has one of the strongest aromas I have ever come across. Chinook hops bite into your nose, while piney centennial, and fruity cascade hops entice it.

T: Similar to biting into wet raw hops. The chinook give a great puckering bitterness, with the flavor and aroma hops lending the more delicate pine, grapefruit, pineapple, citrus, and flowery flavors. Excellent.

M: Light body with a very slight oiliness. Low carbonation.

D: A hophead's dream. Extremely hoppy and quite enjoyable.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

A - Caramel golden color with beautiful white head. Looks like a beer to be enjoyed at a feast of kings. Glorious looking.

S - One of the finest things I've ever put my nose to. Floral, grassy, pine, grapefruit, citrus, lemon, spice, malt.

T - As good as it smells. Oh my. It's like you can taste each hop individually and each carries a huge array of flavor. Great West Coast IPA. Floral, grassy, pine, citrus flavors with a quite a healthy and pure tasting malt backbone that tastes like it could be raw sugar.

M - Fantastically balanced between hop bitterness and malt. Carbonation is moderate and not too much. Body is medium. Finish is very dry.

D - A beer for the gods. I don't know if I am worthy of it.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle in a Sierra Nevada tulip glass.

I first found this beer based on a recommendation from a bartender at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver and have enjoyed it many times since in Portland, OR. I picked some up at Sam's in Durham this afternoon. I'm very pleased to see that it's finally made its way to the east coast.

A - A clear, amber complexion with a thick head that stays around forever. Great lacing too. Absolute perfection in this category.

S - Wonderful floral hops steam out of this beer. It doesn't get any better in a bottle.

T - A rich hop flavor with floral and citrus (grapefruit) notes. It's bitter but not in a bad way. There is just enough malt to provide balance but not so much to take away from this being a gift to hopheads everywhere.

M - It might be a hair on the thin side but I certainly won't hold that against it.

D - I could drink this beer all day long. It's exactly what I look for in a beer.

This is a perfect west coast IPA. Green Flash continues to impress me with everything they do.

Mmmm hops...

My new favorite beer* pours a glowing, hazy orange with frantic carbonation bubbles and a small amount of meandering particulate matter. The head is dense and enormous, lasting the entire glass and absolutely draping it in foam. I smelled the hops immediately when I popped the cap. Massive amounts of hops fill my nostrils, only a slight malt note provides any semblance of balance. Thick piney, grapefruity, resinous hops invade my palate on first sip. The hop assault never relents, with pine tar like bitterness toying with its the toasty malt counterpart. The mouthfeel is full bodied and highly carbonated. The imense hop bitterness numbs my whole mouth for ages. The finish is extremely bitter and long lasting, I mean hours.

This is a fantastic American IPA. It covers all the bases and leaves me puckered and wanting more. Seek this out if you like hops, its as close to perfect as Ive tried.

* OK this is a tie with Ruination, Guiness FES among others

A - cloudy amber color

S - citrus and floral with prominent assumption of hops

T - fantastic! Nice balance of citrus and floral with mild malt and plenty of hops!

M - Nice, not too overwhelming tart bite with very full taste of hops, yet not too heavy

D - At 7%, it's a bit bigger than the standard IPA, but my favorite by far, so goes down soooo good!

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

Ah, among the classics of West Coast IPAs, and at 95 IBUs it is beautifully bitter.

Pours a creamy white head with excellent lacing as it dissipates, and a lot of rising carbonation in the body. The head increases exponentially upon agitation.

Very floral and piny aromas, with a little bit of vanilla in the nose and some slight malts. Mmmm, so pleasant and heavenly.

Tastes of piny hop bitterness, citrus, grapefruit, and a slight sweetness that's very well balanced by the aforementioned flavors. Hits the palate well, with a sip exhibiting hoppiness and a quaff revealing pineapple and other tasty fruits. Such a great flavor spectrum.

Mouthfeel is bouncy, light to medium-bodied, with a slight chewiness.

Overall, next to R.R.'s Blind Pig, Stone's IPA, AleSmith's IPA, and Racer 5 IPA, this is a West Coast IPA par excellence. Drink it. A lot of it. You won't be disappointed.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.