Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,801 | Hads: 7,469

I usually like Double IPAs. For me, this was pretty harsh. Really an assault of bitterness on the tongue with not much else. Not an easy drinker by any measure. Not a fan.

2.31/5  rDev -44.9%

Trying to catch up on my notes from the past 6 weeks or so... Reviewed from notes.
Poured from bottle into a Tulip pint.

No bottling date.

In pouring, I see some yeast/sediments which leads me to believe that this beer might not be newest batch... Unfortunately, I searched all over the bottle for a date and was unsuccessful. Maybe it is on there... maybe not. Either way, this review will stand until I have a bottle that causes me to edit and change this.

Looked a nice orangey golden copper and a 2.5 creamy head that cascading into a frothy cap. Solid retention and rings of lace. Don't like the yeast... but otherwise, not bad looking.

Smell is malty. So is taste. Very little hop presence. This again makes me think this isn't the freshest example... but, until bottle dates are put on (or made obviously readable) this review will stand.
Beer is sweet. Malts. The malts seem like stale bread-- like croutons. A slight citrusy and floral note is much weaker than the malts.

Medium body with decent carbonation. Feels slick and oily-- I'd prefer bright and prickly.

Overall-- not really impressed. I'm pouring the rest of this out. I won't buy it again unless I KNOW it is fresh.

2.39/5  rDev -43%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Intense pine, grapefruit.

Taste: Crushing grassy bitterness. Like chewing on grass or eating unroasted coffee. Astringent grape skins. Slightly herbal. Very dry and bitter finish.

Notes: Did not enjoy even though I often like very hoppy beers. This was just too one-dimensional and astringent.

2.46/5  rDev -41.3%

I had this in bottle 2 years ago and it tasted much more balanced than just having it currently on tap.
Tastes extremely bitter, reminded me of chinook on steroids. But looking at their site chinook aren't used. Simcoe, columbus, cent and cascade. Whatever the hop schedule was, I don't care for it. Must be a hell of a lot of columbus and cascade. Grapefruit city. Normally bitter beers I can deal with but not enough sweet malt to counter balance for me. Just seemed one dimensional.
One and done for taste buds. Sorry.

2.52/5  rDev -39.9%

Last call for me at the Brazen Head Cask Fest. One of the few beers that night(Friday) with any noticeable flavor. If my mouth was having a bad day, then this stuff would of surely killed me on any other.

It's cask, so it ain't exactly pretty. It squeezed off just a touch of head, & the floaties were still groggy, so it's a better then average pour to me.

Imagine lighting some Tibetan medicinal incense(the ones with over 800 "cleansing" ingredients), noticing how "wet" it smells, then promptly suck it up your left nostril. Then chase it with a spritz of Pine-Sol. Double Simcoe, Ruination, this hurts like nothing else I've had. If it was dialed down a notch & a half I could of appreciated it more. It smells better from a distance. :P

Now, regardless of what you read, I'm not a hippy. I just happen to like incense. I have a regular everyday job & the last time I saw a hackey sack, I crushed it with my love of capitalism.

For taste, rancid Ecto-Cooler is probably the easiest way for me to describe the taste. A whole lot of grapefruit juice mixed in with a squeeze of extra harsh SunnyD. Practically burns your throat. Maybe a couple stale croutons are floating around in there, but it's all concentrated hop juice. It's hard to define the alcohol in all this. I'm sure some people drink the stuff for breakfast & toasted with it at their wedding, but it's too much for me.

Mouthfeel, as with nearly all cask pales I've had, is a smidgen thicker then the norm. Sediment is only obvious once you reach the bottom. Even for cask, carbonation was low.

I just can't drink it. I had a few other patrons rooting for me. Even a try & chugging the last few ounces almost ended in disaster.

2.6/5  rDev -37.9%

A: medium amber, almost grepefruity red ting to it. Rather inviting

S: a lot of grape fruit here with a distinctive hoppy aroma

T: Very, very, very heavy handed bittering hops. Has a light fruity (Grapefruit) back taste, but its overwhelmed by the intense hoppyness. and that's the problem. this brew used too much bittering hops and not enough malt, making a very unbalanced beer that I find rather difficult to drink
4.5/5 if you want a unbalanced overly bitter brew

Mouthfeel: very light and difficult to describe as the hoppy bite makes it hard to tell anything about mouth-feel

Final: 2/5
Lets be frank, I'm not a fan of this beers taste and mouth feel. Its too heavy handed with its hops and comes out more like hop tea than beer to me.
If that's what you want then you will like this one
that's not what I look forward to with a beer

without that malt sweetness to counter the bitterness I jut cant enjoy this beer

if you can enjoy that kind of beer, you will like it.
just remember, maltheads and those weak against bitterness should just order something else.

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%

Ordered a Lagunitas WTF but they told me the keg tapped so I order a Southern Tier IPA and was given this first along with the Southern Tier for free so I thought I would review it.

A - Looks like a nice IPA. Hazy amber in color with laces of frothy white foam.

S - Smells mostly of hops and malts. Slight grapefruit and citrus burred under their somewhere

T - Oh god no! It tastes as bad as I remember! The true abomination of citrus pine sol, soapy flavor and all, hit the tongue but with a mild malty background that reminds you that it's a beer. I normally don't do this but I gagged drinking it.

M - Leaves the palate clear. I am not a swearing man but I swear I just washed my mouth out with soap.

D - If this is your first, heck 10th IPA please avoid! Needless to say the southern tier and stone IPA's I had that night were crisp delicious in hops flavor compared to this liquid soap.

Stay away if you can! Their are plenty of other IPA's to try!

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tremendously bitter. You get a brief flash of rich malt followed by a blast of hops. Great, if that's why you drink beer. The malt leaves a slight sweetness on the lips. And that's it. The hops leave a dank, harsh, bitterness on the tongue.

Clear orange amber in the pint glass. Decent foam and carbonation. Nose of hops, resins, and more hops. Water chaser is indicated with this one. At Trio restaurant in Palm Springs (tasted 02/25/2012).

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%

The beer is an orange-ish hue with a decent head for an IPA. It smells great with a bit of sweetness and fruit of which I can't put my finger on. The taste is hoppy, as you'd expect from an IPA, and starts off with a fruity note equating to the smell. The aftertaste is what strikes me as very 'off' with this one. It keeps its hops all the way through, which is great; however towards the end of the sip I'm hit by an intense metallic and soapy flavor that ruined the experience for me. I've noticed several bad IPAs having this aftertase, just not quite this prevalent. It seemed to have the makings of a great IPA before this point.

I'm thinking perhaps I got a bad barrel, but I will likely never know as I won't be giving this another try from the tap.

2.78/5  rDev -33.7%

Reviewed 9/18/2008 (bottle):

Pours an amber coloredcolored body, clear, with a creamy white color head, huge but diminishing. Has a grapefruity aroma, with some sweet maltiness. Somewhat smooth watery taste, bitter aftertaste. Okay but not much body.

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic puts up a one finger head light tan head that falls slowly, leaving a bit of foam around the glass. Below, the beer has a nice transparent copper hue with a somewhat yellow tint.

The nose yields hefty piney hop aromas, with some nice malty sweetness too. Some citrus as well.

This is quite forward in the hops department, and the particular types they've used for this aren't my favorite. Overly piney. Pretty tough, really. Hardly any malt presence, just a mess of hop-overload.

This does, though, have excellent fine carbonation and a great mouthfeel.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this one...I've got the rest of a six-pack to dispose of somehow!

A picture of my own: http://flickr.com/photos/20883076@N05/3206595559/

2.83/5  rDev -32.5%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. It ought to be said that IPAs are usually me least favourite style. I'm hoping this is an exception.

A: Pours a three finger head of nice soft cream lacing, good thickness, and very good retention (especially for the 7.3% ABV). Dark caramel-copper colour.

Sm: Citra hops - and that's it. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Very hoppy without being overly bitter. Some caramelized malt intrudes, a feature I don't find welcome. Foundation is bland barley. Build is simple and largely imbalanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but also artificial. It's very strange and doesn't at all suit the taste. Bleh!

Dr: Drinkable for the ABV, but comprised of low quality flavours that turn me away. I won't be having this again.

2.84/5  rDev -32.2%

Picked up a 4-pack and tried it out 5 months before the freshness date of Nov-25-15.
Beautiful golden color with some nice lacing.
Smells a bit of pines and hops, but i got nothing else.
Maybe it's a bad batch but the beer is pretty flat. The bitterness seems to overpower everything because I can't taste the hops and pines from the previous version of this brew. I've heard of the cat-pee phenomenon before but this is the first time I've experienced it. Just a very off-putting taste. Might have to try this again at Green Flash next time in SD, but overall a disappointment.

2.9/5  rDev -30.8%

12oz into 22oz pint glass, no freshness date.

A- pale pale body and a big white head that takes a while to settle. A nice lace ring and some streaks down the glass.

S- Pretty inviting sweet flowers and fruit, and a bit of fusel alcohol.

T-Grapefruit and dish soap. Lots of bitter grapefruit rind, the soapiness is not welcome. I've come across this a few times before, not sure if it's a combination of pale malt and a certain hop variety or what. Not my cup o' tea. Not a whole lot of depth to this one either.

M- Very bitter and a bit astringent. Not really winning any points here. Not bad, but I'm not impressed.

O- Aggressively bitter but ultimately lacking the focus I expect from a west coast IPA. Something I doubt I'll revisit in this cutthroat IPA market. Much better coming out of California.

2.91/5  rDev -30.5%

Murky orange color with a cream colored head. Smelled to me sort of like paste, (of course it is allergy season so my sniffer might be off...) and a richness. Good hoppiness jumped right out at me, but has a nice bitter flavor. Thin body that washes down easily leaving a strong aftertaste of hops and almost a latent smokiness, like with scotch. A bit too much for all day, but an enjoyable flavor explosion to relax with.

2.92/5  rDev -30.3%

NOTE: I BELIEVE I HAD A BAD POUR BASED ON OTHER REVIEWS. Read the following to hear why.

I don't understand how this beer got anything more than average if it is supposed to taste like the beer I was given last night. I feel like I've had this beer before, and really enjoyed it, which is why I ordered it last night, but something must have happened to the keg or my glass at the restaurant I was at.

A: It came in a short fluted snifter, sorta like a belgian ale glass and the appearance was a cloudy amber, a nice rich color for an IPA. Average off-white head.

S: This is where the biggest issue was: It smelled like caramelized onions. Other scents barely noticeable. It was like someone had rimmed the glass with sweet cooked onions. Sort of buttery too, which is weird. Not much of that fresh hoppy aroma that I was expecting.

T: Nice and hoppy, crisp citrus, but with a good balance of the sweet malts to balance the beer out, but, as a large part of flavor is smell, i couldn't help but feel like I was also eating buttered onion crackers. It was pretty awful. The smell really ruined the beer.

M: A nice combination of a heavy mouth feel, but with the crispness of an IPA. Went down smooth.

O: The smell really ruined this one. I hope it was just a bad glass and not the beer because I remember liking this one. Maybe I'll complain to the restaurant that either someone with onions on their hands handled my beer, or the dishwasher isn't working as well as it should (it's a new restaurant so who knows). Very very strange...

2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

Has a nice smokey smell to it, which does not translate into taste as the IBUs are out of this world. This beer pretty much ruins your tastebuds for any additional tastings.

Overall it's not a bad beer for a bitter but I wouldn't consider it a good IPA.

2.96/5  rDev -29.4%

I don't know if this is unfiltered or not but this is definitely a hazy orange color with some sediment floating around in this one. Their is a slight white head with some lacing left on the glass.

Their is a lot of pine aroma and with a faint malt aroma buried in between the hops.

This one is dominated by the piney hops that at some points tend to get quite grassy. The hops are traditional to the west coast style of a slick feel that coats the tongue with an oily feeling and leaves quite a bitter aftertaste. I like my IPA's to have more of a fruity taste which is missing in this one. Probably will pass on this one next time.

2.97/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer was very light, nothing about this beer stood out. A very simple IPA, I would not recommend this beer. When I saw the beer color I was excited with anticipation, but after I tasted the beer I understood why it was so cheap. The glass is pretty cool though.

2.98/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice.

A: Pleasant, frothy head tops an amber-clear beer. Great lacing.

S: West coast hops...surprise, surprise. I suspect the C's...Definitely Cascade/Centennial. Pine, a touch of fruit, and a bit of garlic.

T: Disappointing, dull, and not nearly as good as I remember it. Vegetal hops are reminiscent of boiled cabbage. A pine bite on the endtaste can't make up for the muddled and poor maintaste. Dry finish.

M: Lightly carbonated. The sense of flatness comes from the boring flavor, rather than the actual mouthfeel.

O: I can't recommend this particular iteration of what I'm sure is a very fine IPA. Alas.

As a lover of both San Diego and the Green Flash Brewery the current quality of this previously excellent double IPA is a huge disappointment. I cannot put my finger on it. Perhaps I enjoy their Hop Head Red and Le Freak so much that the West Coast IPA no longer measures up. The malty taste of alcohol is too strong, yet the red copper color is still inviting. I avoid it in the store and grab it on tap only when other fine IPAs are not available. The aroma and taste are no longer as clean as it once was. Still a good beer, but no longer a stand out.

This beer pours a slightly hazy amber with a thin head and lacing to the end. The aroma is fruity, with hints of pine and sweet malt. The flavor is citrus fruit, mainly grapefruit with pine, grass, and toffee notes. The mouthfeel is meedium and slightly dry. Green Flash West Coast IPA is a good beer, a good match for chicken burritos. Recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From cask ...

The beer poured an orange light brown color with a lacey head that retained well beyond the initial pour. There was a slight cloudiness to the beer, but quite minimal and transparent overall.

The smell was exceptional ... what you'd expect from an IPA. Very fresh on the nose with a grassy pine aroma that you'd expect from a walk in the forest.

The citrus notes came in very strong all the way through from sip to swallow. Grapefruit is the overwhelming flavor, one that I'm not particularly fond of.

This flavor left you with an extremely dry feel in the mouth in terms of the overall finish. I couldn't help but feel parched on the tongue.

The tastes I was not fond of mellowed out after by about the second or third pint; however, the first pint was not easy to drink.

On Night #2 of trying this, I was not able to get past the first pint at all; hence my low score in drinkability.

I'm quite a Hop Head --- but I'm not a fan of grapefruit so it makes it quite difficult for me to appreciate this particular beer despite my love for IPAs.

I'd probably overlook this beer in the future, but would be very interested in trying other beers from this brewery.

The West Coast IPA is a pretty standard West Coast IPA. Hops are blended nicely without too much harsh astringency, but in the end, it's the same grapefruit and resin aromas we all know by heart.

Malt is 2-row and caramel.

Medium body

~ 2.5 V carbonation

A great beer, and I've heard it won some awards, but you could probably make something similar at home with your eyes closed.

3.03/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance: apricot/amber..clear, medium head

Smell: grapefruit and pine

Taste: grapefruit, pine, with a honey finish

Mouthfeel: smooth and bitter

Drinkability: To me this is a strong hop bomb. If you love hops, you will love this beer. I find this one very one dimensional and will be passing for more interesting IPAs.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.