Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
nickmantia

klesniew

07-12-2013 21:20:44 | More by klesniew
AleWatcher

2.28/5  rDev -46%

Trying to catch up on my notes from the past 6 weeks or so... Reviewed from notes.
Poured from bottle into a Tulip pint.

No bottling date.

In pouring, I see some yeast/sediments which leads me to believe that this beer might not be newest batch... Unfortunately, I searched all over the bottle for a date and was unsuccessful. Maybe it is on there... maybe not. Either way, this review will stand until I have a bottle that causes me to edit and change this.

Looked a nice orangey golden copper and a 2.5 creamy head that cascading into a frothy cap. Solid retention and rings of lace. Don't like the yeast... but otherwise, not bad looking.

Smell is malty. So is taste. Very little hop presence. This again makes me think this isn't the freshest example... but, until bottle dates are put on (or made obviously readable) this review will stand.
Beer is sweet. Malts. The malts seem like stale bread-- like croutons. A slight citrusy and floral note is much weaker than the malts.

Medium body with decent carbonation. Feels slick and oily-- I'd prefer bright and prickly.

Overall-- not really impressed. I'm pouring the rest of this out. I won't buy it again unless I KNOW it is fresh.

09-13-2010 04:15:34 | More by AleWatcher
4000qtrap

Missouri

2.3/5  rDev -45.5%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Intense pine, grapefruit.

Taste: Crushing grassy bitterness. Like chewing on grass or eating unroasted coffee. Astringent grape skins. Slightly herbal. Very dry and bitter finish.

Notes: Did not enjoy even though I often like very hoppy beers. This was just too one-dimensional and astringent.

01-03-2010 06:49:13 | More by 4000qtrap
memory

2.4/5  rDev -43.1%

I had this in bottle 2 years ago and it tasted much more balanced than just having it currently on tap.
Tastes extremely bitter, reminded me of chinook on steroids. But looking at their site chinook aren't used. Simcoe, columbus, cent and cascade. Whatever the hop schedule was, I don't care for it. Must be a hell of a lot of columbus and cascade. Grapefruit city. Normally bitter beers I can deal with but not enough sweet malt to counter balance for me. Just seemed one dimensional.
One and done for taste buds. Sorry.

03-14-2010 05:07:30 | More by memory
PEBKAC

2.42/5  rDev -42.7%

Last call for me at the Brazen Head Cask Fest. One of the few beers that night(Friday) with any noticeable flavor. If my mouth was having a bad day, then this stuff would of surely killed me on any other.

It's cask, so it ain't exactly pretty. It squeezed off just a touch of head, & the floaties were still groggy, so it's a better then average pour to me.

Imagine lighting some Tibetan medicinal incense(the ones with over 800 "cleansing" ingredients), noticing how "wet" it smells, then promptly suck it up your left nostril. Then chase it with a spritz of Pine-Sol. Double Simcoe, Ruination, this hurts like nothing else I've had. If it was dialed down a notch & a half I could of appreciated it more. It smells better from a distance. :P

Now, regardless of what you read, I'm not a hippy. I just happen to like incense. I have a regular everyday job & the last time I saw a hackey sack, I crushed it with my love of capitalism.

For taste, rancid Ecto-Cooler is probably the easiest way for me to describe the taste. A whole lot of grapefruit juice mixed in with a squeeze of extra harsh SunnyD. Practically burns your throat. Maybe a couple stale croutons are floating around in there, but it's all concentrated hop juice. It's hard to define the alcohol in all this. I'm sure some people drink the stuff for breakfast & toasted with it at their wedding, but it's too much for me.

Mouthfeel, as with nearly all cask pales I've had, is a smidgen thicker then the norm. Sediment is only obvious once you reach the bottom. Even for cask, carbonation was low.

I just can't drink it. I had a few other patrons rooting for me. Even a try & chugging the last few ounces almost ended in disaster.

Serving type: cask

cgarwood

12-24-2012 15:26:40 | More by cgarwood
jucifer1818

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

A: medium amber, almost grepefruity red ting to it. Rather inviting
4/5

S: a lot of grape fruit here with a distinctive hoppy aroma
4/5

T: Very, very, very heavy handed bittering hops. Has a light fruity (Grapefruit) back taste, but its overwhelmed by the intense hoppyness. and that's the problem. this brew used too much bittering hops and not enough malt, making a very unbalanced beer that I find rather difficult to drink
2/5,
4.5/5 if you want a unbalanced overly bitter brew

Mouthfeel: very light and difficult to describe as the hoppy bite makes it hard to tell anything about mouth-feel
2/5

Final: 2/5
Lets be frank, I'm not a fan of this beers taste and mouth feel. Its too heavy handed with its hops and comes out more like hop tea than beer to me.
If that's what you want then you will like this one
that's not what I look forward to with a beer

without that malt sweetness to counter the bitterness I jut cant enjoy this beer

if you can enjoy that kind of beer, you will like it.
just remember, maltheads and those weak against bitterness should just order something else.

Serving type: cask

12-08-2012 03:21:37 | More by jucifer1818
DrDemento456

2.55/5  rDev -39.6%

Ordered a Lagunitas WTF but they told me the keg tapped so I order a Southern Tier IPA and was given this first along with the Southern Tier for free so I thought I would review it.

A - Looks like a nice IPA. Hazy amber in color with laces of frothy white foam.

S - Smells mostly of hops and malts. Slight grapefruit and citrus burred under their somewhere

T - Oh god no! It tastes as bad as I remember! The true abomination of citrus pine sol, soapy flavor and all, hit the tongue but with a mild malty background that reminds you that it's a beer. I normally don't do this but I gagged drinking it.

M - Leaves the palate clear. I am not a swearing man but I swear I just washed my mouth out with soap.

D - If this is your first, heck 10th IPA please avoid! Needless to say the southern tier and stone IPA's I had that night were crisp delicious in hops flavor compared to this liquid soap.

Stay away if you can! Their are plenty of other IPA's to try!

04-14-2010 19:31:17 | More by DrDemento456
alexipa

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -38.4%

The beer is an orange-ish hue with a decent head for an IPA. It smells great with a bit of sweetness and fruit of which I can't put my finger on. The taste is hoppy, as you'd expect from an IPA, and starts off with a fruity note equating to the smell. The aftertaste is what strikes me as very 'off' with this one. It keeps its hops all the way through, which is great; however towards the end of the sip I'm hit by an intense metallic and soapy flavor that ruined the experience for me. I've noticed several bad IPAs having this aftertase, just not quite this prevalent. It seemed to have the makings of a great IPA before this point.

I'm thinking perhaps I got a bad barrel, but I will likely never know as I won't be giving this another try from the tap.

10-07-2011 20:58:56 | More by alexipa
Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.