Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,776 | Hads: 7,301
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Green Flash does it again! From the double imperial stout all the way to the other end of the spectrum... Green Flash is one of my favorite brewers! However, if you don't like hops, you might want to stay away from this one!!! (226 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

had this beer at nick's cove in marshall, ca while on my honeymoon.

i didn't take notes but this was an amazing beer. smelled amazing, incredibly hoppy yet balanced and tasted great. great mouthfeel and i would love to have this one again.

everything i look for in an ipa. (274 characters)

Oh, YEAH!
Pours a clear orange amber that is topped with a massive, craggy, sticky off white head that melts slowly to stick to the side of the glass very heavily.
Aroma is hops, hops, and nothing but hops. Fresh green, piney and citrus hops. Mmmmm....
First sip...second...large swallow...smell again...stare at the beautiful glass. I LIVE in So Calif...why haven't I tried this beer before?
This beer has everything a great WEST COAST IPA should have.
Sweet amber malt gets it's butt kicked quickly by bitter citrus peel hops that evolve to grapefruit peel, then the malts try to come back only to be overwelmed again. Aftertaste is clean and smooth and drying.
Ready for another drink...and another...and another...
What? 7% ABV?
Yeah....good stuff. (760 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a beautiful amber/orange with a ginormous fluffy cloud head with great retention. Nose is pine and citrus hops. Taste is unbelievable. Pine and white grapefruit dominate, the second act is the bitterness and the slightest sugar cookie sweetness, then back to the pine sap bitterness, and the breath provides a great biscuity malt finish. Fucking epic. Perfect mouthfeel. My favorite IPA. (393 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%

Since i moved to CA, this has turned into my go-to beer. Its great! Pours a nice light brown with hints of red. Quarter-inch head falls off to a lacy covering. Smells sort of non-descript, actually...like a run-of-the-mill IPA that maybe has a bit too much sweet malt in there. Some citrusey, piney hops break through, but the smell doesn't do the flavor justice. Taste is a big piney, citrusy hop smack, not too big, with a smooth malt backbone. Bitterness is there in a nice balance with the hop flavors. Medium bodied, with not too much carbonation and a little hint of a syrupy feel. Tastes refreshing and delicious. Approaching perfect for the style in flavor and drinkability. (682 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle with best by date of 10/24/15 poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber, faint haze with 1/2 finger of white head

Smell: Citrus and pine hops

Taste: Bitterness is strong and present throughout. The hop flavors really come through in the middle and lead to a lasting dry hop bitterness with earthy pine notes complemented by some peppery malt

Mouthfeel: Sticky leading a dry, bitter finish

Overall: I believe I the older recipe only once before, but I really enjoy this as a double IPA. There is plenty of hop flavor yet still an onslaught of bitterness on your palate. I honestly think the revamped recipe is an improvement and I will continue to purchase this double IPA. (712 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I bumped into an old friend I hadn't seen in a decade doing PR for this beer at the store last night, so I grabbed a sixer. Couldn't tell a lot from the sample at the store so I got worried that I would end up giving it a bad review, nope.

L - slightly darker golden
S - Hops, Piney resin
T - Hops, well balanced. GREAT aftertaste
F - Not too watery, not too thick
O - Only complaints are that it doesn't come in a can, and it ain't local (guess I could move...) A true IPA. (476 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Ooured a slightly hazy burnt orange with a thinner but sticky white head that leaves spots of lace as it settled.Fresh raw hop aroma comes at ya hard when first opening the bottle extremely piney with big grapefruit notes as well I even noticed a touch of caramel malt as well.Well oddly enough hop dominated hop oils and resin dominate quite piney but that resiny finish is great just enough of a hint of caramel makes it a gem in my mind.A few years ago I would have thought a good beer but a little over the top for me now I take it all in,gotta love the hops. (563 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Definitely my favorite Double IPA thus far. Had no idea what to expect when I bought this, but I bought it fresh and this thing blew me away. Beautiful blend of hops with a clean malt rides that line of balance all the way through and takes you along for the ride. A must have for IPA lovers. (292 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

a: little tan cap over a clear, deep copper colored ale, good retention

s: wonderfully vivid tropical fruit hop aromas carried on a clean and lightly toasty caramel body, the sharp grapefruit acidity is balanced with sweet passionfruit and mango flesh, secondary hop aromas of young pine, just lovely

m: low-medium carbonation and a medium body

t: superbly hoppy - steeped and pulpy - with just the right amount of grain support, grapefruit and fleshy-sweet tropical fruit and immature pine dominate a subtly toasty pale malt structure, wonderful bitterness in the finish - satisfyingly strong, only a mild malt sweetness makes for a very clean, refreshing, and hop-skewed drink

d: excellent for a seven percent ipa, and easily worthy of a six-pack purchase

single from Grape & Gourmet, Virginia Beach, VA (810 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Green Flash West Coast IPA has a very thick, frothy, cream-colored head, a mostly clear and bubbly orange-golden appearance, and a lot of heavy lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, citrusy, piney, hop oil and malt. Taste is of sweet bread, strong, piney hops, grape fruit, sugars, and general fruitiness. Mouthfeel is medium and oily, and Green Flash West Coast IPA finishes mostly dry, mellow, and rather drinkable. Overall, this is a most excellent India Pale Ale, among so many other wonderful ones out there, and I think every beer fan should try it.

RJT (565 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

notes from my time at hollingshead

Poured in a pint glass. 1 1/4 finger of good head with a cloudy yellow color. Nice retention that sticks around for a while.

Citrusy hops come out and tell the nose how this beer will taste. The nose is a very good indicator of how this ber will taste. Not in your face with the hop aroma, but it is enticing nevertheless.

Taste is perfect balanced with a nice pale malt upfront that is overtaken by an assertive citrusy hop bitterness. Centennial and cascade?

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. The beer clings the palate well and isn't heavy at all which helps make for one of the most drinkable ipas that I've ever had. This is a very nice beer. (687 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy amber with a big foamy head that hangs around. Heavy lacing. Big aroma of hops and citrus. Piney hops, grass and grapefruit predominate the taste. Lots of bitterness. Medium mouth that coats the tongue nicely. If you like hops for days, this is a wonderful beer. (275 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A-Deep amber/orange with a medium off-white head. Left nice lacing.

S-Piney and citrus hop notes dominate. Maybe the slightest tease of sweet maltiness.

T-Kerr-POW! The aswesome piney/citrus PUNCH that only a well made west coast IPA can bring. This one is about as good as it gets. Malt sweetness only acts as a vehicle for the hops.

M-Sharp and crisp with a nice medium-light mouth. Slightly oily at the end...but how can you not see that coming?!

D-Totally! This is one of my top 5 west coast IPA's for sure. I could sit and drink this all night. As for the 7%...you'd never guess...which could be bad! (609 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Orange copper in color. Billowy two-finger head with thick lacing throughout.

S: Strong piney, citrusy hop smell.

T: All of the smell with a nice malt balance.

M: Slight carbonation up front, thick over the tongue and a dry finish that leaves you wanting for more.

D: Love this style and this beer is an excellent representation. A dry warming brew that's great for any time of the day or year.

Served in an Imperial Pint glass. (436 characters)

A
Cloudy, orange/brown... looks good.

S
Amazing smell. Green Flash has figured out how to make a Pale smell good. I don't think anyone else can match their smell. The perfect hoppy-sweet mixture.

T
My only complaint... too much hops! I love it. Hop city. It is a great blend of hops and sweet malt... but almost too much hops. But the flavor profile is dead on what I'd expect from an IPA named "West Coast." Great job Green Flash.

MF
It is quite rude to my mouth. Very bitter and a little acidic in mouth feel... but not bad. I'd love to side-by-side taste this against SN's Torpedo.

D
I used to really love the GF West Coast IPA. Actually, I still do on a one 12oz bottle matchup at a time... I can only drink one of these. I've even had a 5 gallon keg of this at my house and loved it at first but soon felt it was too hoppy. Now, give me a 5 gallon of Blind Pig or Pliny and I'd have a different story. Or, even Stone's IPA.

Green Flash's West Coast IPA is a great experience. I wouldn't buy it and drink it every week... but it is so much fun to share with friends and talk about how Green Flash makes great hoppy beers.

Cheers to Green Flash. (1,155 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Bought a bottle at AJ's in Scottsdale. The nut brown ale for this brand was weak. I was worried about their IPA.

This brew was surprisingly top notch.

It poured a great head, white, about an inch, lacy decay.

Taste and smell were pungent, hop heavy!, pine- and citrus-y. Pac NW hops-like.

A great tasting brew. (314 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a huge foam that never dissipates. Creamy lacing forms intricate shapes on the glass. Fruity, citrus, tropical aroma. Lots of hop oils. Fresh flowers. Intensely bitter hop character beginning to end. Grapefruit, pine needles and dish detergent are most prominent. Pleasant hop oils and alpha acids. Hint of honey and bread malt character attempts to balance. Hop dominance is acceptable and encouraged here. Medium to full bodied. Bone dry from the hop assault. Leaves my palate in devastation. Been a while since I've tried a new DIPA this good. A welcome treat. (584 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a nice golden amber with lots of carbonation, leaves sticky lacing all over the glass. Smell is potent hop glory, one of the best smelling IPA's I know of. Fresh citrus explosion to the nose with mostly grapefruit. Green grassy hops and funky cannabis resin. Taste is also great. It carries on with the hop assault. Again, quite green and resinous. Big citrus and some pine as well. A little biscuity malt is all there is to keep this from going way overboard, though it's already pushed the limits enough. Tiny hint of alcohol peaks through. Great bitterness, solid medium body. Had the hop power of a IIPA minus the need for tons of malt to back it up. Oily, resinous, not thick. Definitely tingles the tongue and has a dry finish. Not the most drinkable but the hop fix of all hop fixes quite possibly when it comes to an IPA. Classic stuff, here. (856 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. One finger head that faded quickly but left very nice strong lacing. Almost a slight green tint to the head -- bit of hop resin. Color was a pale, pale orange/amber. Impressively crystal clear.

The aroma is like sticking your nose right into the hop bag. Bright floral, citrus, pine -- as potentially aromatic as any beer I've had. The scent rolls up even when the beer was poured at near waist height. Just amazing.

Flavor is also very good, though not quite as intense as the aroma. Tons of finishing hops here, bitterness is good but not quite so extreme as the flavor & aroma hops. There's a nice malt, biscuit character to the beer that balances out some of the hop character. Very pleasant beer with a bit more balance than I thought I'd get.

Excellent beer, nice mouthfeel & easy to drink. I really enjoyed this beer. (863 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Even though I live in SD I never have really gotten around to drink much of the Green Flash line-up and reading this months BA Magazine gave me the right kick in the butt.

Decent head and stays as you drink it down leaving good lacing. The smell is nothing short of amazing.

The "amazingness" continues as you take the first sip. Super smooth, almost a slight burnt taste from the bitterness. Sweet tasting as you swollow.

Unfortunately I had no idea this was bottle conditioned and poured all the yeast into this beer after my first few sips :/

None the less its one of my new favorite IPAs! (596 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

The West Coast IPA pours a copper color with a 1/2 inch of head. You will note in the bottle, the pour, and finally in your glass sediment/hops, from dry hopping I think. It distracts a little from the beers appearance I feel. Not much lacing, but I find myself swirling this beer alot, so no lacing would be left.

Pine on the nose with a little citrus and maybe some other fruits, and a very light malty sweetness.

This beer is delicious. Bitter hops and fruits are perfect in this beer along with a nice touch of malt without going over the top. I like the lack of balance as sometime the fruit is less present, sometimes very fruity. The sediment isn't noticed at all when drinking this fantastic IPA.

This beer will be in my fridge often. Mozol tov! (756 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I wasn't too impressed with Green Flash's other offerings but nevertheless decided to give this one a shot. Boy, am I glad that I did. Here goes:

A: Excellent. Pours an amber-orange that's not exactly clear, but it produces a great, robust head with tons of lacing. Head lingers for minutes and is quite fluffy.

S: No complaints here either. Lots of Pacific NW hops; almost no malt is detectable. Lots of grapefruit, orange and lemon peel.

T: Again, quite impressive. Very robust hop presence and aftertaste. Grapefruit and lemon fill the palate and linger on long after consumption. Couldn't ask for anything more in terms of hops. There's somewhat of an amber malt taste that's present at the forefront, but this quickly gives way to hops.

M: Very rich and full-bodied. Not creamy like a stout but lies heavily on the tongue. Tons of carbonation as well

O: An excellent beer. It was well worth the 3-dollar price. I only wish that I had gotten another bottle. (966 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

For hop heads only. Color is orange pale with slight chill haze. My latest pour 9/19/20 shows a one finger head. Smells like a hop locker in a Cali brewery. Strong pine almost marijuana bud floral. Taste presents fresh hop taste, with a noble hop baseline. Malt is not a strong part of the taste profile, but I have had hoppy beers that lacked the malt back and this isn't one of them. Medium carbonation in the mouth with (what else) hop aftertaste. Really wakes up the old tastebuds.

I would say that it has good drinkability, but if you don't like the California IPA style, you won't like to drink more than one glass.

Truly one of my favorites. (650 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I'm at a loss right now. So unexpected. West Coast is the same colour as Schneider Weisse Hopfen-Weisse, which I think is amazing for an American IPA. Deep burnt orange. Quite cloudy. The head dissipates quickly but leaves nice lacing. Beautiful.
The smell is exactly what you'd expect from a beer with Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and Cascade hops - fruity, citrus, piney, floral all at once. Not much else can sneak by that barrage.
The taste is surprising well-balanced considering how insanely hoppy the finish is. Nice sweetness up-front, but not even close to the bitter that follows. The pine and citrus dominate.
Medium-bodied, with a dry finish and a perfect amount of carbonation.
Overall, this beer is ridiculously good. I WILL be picking this up again. (769 characters)

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.