Follow our progress ...

West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,843 | Ratings: 7,721
4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Ooured a slightly hazy burnt orange with a thinner but sticky white head that leaves spots of lace as it settled.Fresh raw hop aroma comes at ya hard when first opening the bottle extremely piney with big grapefruit notes as well I even noticed a touch of caramel malt as well.Well oddly enough hop dominated hop oils and resin dominate quite piney but that resiny finish is great just enough of a hint of caramel makes it a gem in my mind.A few years ago I would have thought a good beer but a little over the top for me now I take it all in,gotta love the hops.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Definitely my favorite Double IPA thus far. Had no idea what to expect when I bought this, but I bought it fresh and this thing blew me away. Beautiful blend of hops with a clean malt rides that line of balance all the way through and takes you along for the ride. A must have for IPA lovers.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

a: little tan cap over a clear, deep copper colored ale, good retention

s: wonderfully vivid tropical fruit hop aromas carried on a clean and lightly toasty caramel body, the sharp grapefruit acidity is balanced with sweet passionfruit and mango flesh, secondary hop aromas of young pine, just lovely

m: low-medium carbonation and a medium body

t: superbly hoppy - steeped and pulpy - with just the right amount of grain support, grapefruit and fleshy-sweet tropical fruit and immature pine dominate a subtly toasty pale malt structure, wonderful bitterness in the finish - satisfyingly strong, only a mild malt sweetness makes for a very clean, refreshing, and hop-skewed drink

d: excellent for a seven percent ipa, and easily worthy of a six-pack purchase

single from Grape & Gourmet, Virginia Beach, VA

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Green Flash West Coast IPA has a very thick, frothy, cream-colored head, a mostly clear and bubbly orange-golden appearance, and a lot of heavy lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, citrusy, piney, hop oil and malt. Taste is of sweet bread, strong, piney hops, grape fruit, sugars, and general fruitiness. Mouthfeel is medium and oily, and Green Flash West Coast IPA finishes mostly dry, mellow, and rather drinkable. Overall, this is a most excellent India Pale Ale, among so many other wonderful ones out there, and I think every beer fan should try it.

RJT

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

notes from my time at hollingshead

Poured in a pint glass. 1 1/4 finger of good head with a cloudy yellow color. Nice retention that sticks around for a while.

Citrusy hops come out and tell the nose how this beer will taste. The nose is a very good indicator of how this ber will taste. Not in your face with the hop aroma, but it is enticing nevertheless.

Taste is perfect balanced with a nice pale malt upfront that is overtaken by an assertive citrusy hop bitterness. Centennial and cascade?

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. The beer clings the palate well and isn't heavy at all which helps make for one of the most drinkable ipas that I've ever had. This is a very nice beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy amber with a big foamy head that hangs around. Heavy lacing. Big aroma of hops and citrus. Piney hops, grass and grapefruit predominate the taste. Lots of bitterness. Medium mouth that coats the tongue nicely. If you like hops for days, this is a wonderful beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A-Deep amber/orange with a medium off-white head. Left nice lacing.

S-Piney and citrus hop notes dominate. Maybe the slightest tease of sweet maltiness.

T-Kerr-POW! The aswesome piney/citrus PUNCH that only a well made west coast IPA can bring. This one is about as good as it gets. Malt sweetness only acts as a vehicle for the hops.

M-Sharp and crisp with a nice medium-light mouth. Slightly oily at the end...but how can you not see that coming?!

D-Totally! This is one of my top 5 west coast IPA's for sure. I could sit and drink this all night. As for the 7%...you'd never guess...which could be bad!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Orange copper in color. Billowy two-finger head with thick lacing throughout.

S: Strong piney, citrusy hop smell.

T: All of the smell with a nice malt balance.

M: Slight carbonation up front, thick over the tongue and a dry finish that leaves you wanting for more.

D: Love this style and this beer is an excellent representation. A dry warming brew that's great for any time of the day or year.

Served in an Imperial Pint glass.

A
Cloudy, orange/brown... looks good.

S
Amazing smell. Green Flash has figured out how to make a Pale smell good. I don't think anyone else can match their smell. The perfect hoppy-sweet mixture.

T
My only complaint... too much hops! I love it. Hop city. It is a great blend of hops and sweet malt... but almost too much hops. But the flavor profile is dead on what I'd expect from an IPA named "West Coast." Great job Green Flash.

MF
It is quite rude to my mouth. Very bitter and a little acidic in mouth feel... but not bad. I'd love to side-by-side taste this against SN's Torpedo.

D
I used to really love the GF West Coast IPA. Actually, I still do on a one 12oz bottle matchup at a time... I can only drink one of these. I've even had a 5 gallon keg of this at my house and loved it at first but soon felt it was too hoppy. Now, give me a 5 gallon of Blind Pig or Pliny and I'd have a different story. Or, even Stone's IPA.

Green Flash's West Coast IPA is a great experience. I wouldn't buy it and drink it every week... but it is so much fun to share with friends and talk about how Green Flash makes great hoppy beers.

Cheers to Green Flash.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Bought a bottle at AJ's in Scottsdale. The nut brown ale for this brand was weak. I was worried about their IPA.

This brew was surprisingly top notch.

It poured a great head, white, about an inch, lacy decay.

Taste and smell were pungent, hop heavy!, pine- and citrus-y. Pac NW hops-like.

A great tasting brew.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a huge foam that never dissipates. Creamy lacing forms intricate shapes on the glass. Fruity, citrus, tropical aroma. Lots of hop oils. Fresh flowers. Intensely bitter hop character beginning to end. Grapefruit, pine needles and dish detergent are most prominent. Pleasant hop oils and alpha acids. Hint of honey and bread malt character attempts to balance. Hop dominance is acceptable and encouraged here. Medium to full bodied. Bone dry from the hop assault. Leaves my palate in devastation. Been a while since I've tried a new DIPA this good. A welcome treat.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a nice golden amber with lots of carbonation, leaves sticky lacing all over the glass. Smell is potent hop glory, one of the best smelling IPA's I know of. Fresh citrus explosion to the nose with mostly grapefruit. Green grassy hops and funky cannabis resin. Taste is also great. It carries on with the hop assault. Again, quite green and resinous. Big citrus and some pine as well. A little biscuity malt is all there is to keep this from going way overboard, though it's already pushed the limits enough. Tiny hint of alcohol peaks through. Great bitterness, solid medium body. Had the hop power of a IIPA minus the need for tons of malt to back it up. Oily, resinous, not thick. Definitely tingles the tongue and has a dry finish. Not the most drinkable but the hop fix of all hop fixes quite possibly when it comes to an IPA. Classic stuff, here.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. One finger head that faded quickly but left very nice strong lacing. Almost a slight green tint to the head -- bit of hop resin. Color was a pale, pale orange/amber. Impressively crystal clear.

The aroma is like sticking your nose right into the hop bag. Bright floral, citrus, pine -- as potentially aromatic as any beer I've had. The scent rolls up even when the beer was poured at near waist height. Just amazing.

Flavor is also very good, though not quite as intense as the aroma. Tons of finishing hops here, bitterness is good but not quite so extreme as the flavor & aroma hops. There's a nice malt, biscuit character to the beer that balances out some of the hop character. Very pleasant beer with a bit more balance than I thought I'd get.

Excellent beer, nice mouthfeel & easy to drink. I really enjoyed this beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Even though I live in SD I never have really gotten around to drink much of the Green Flash line-up and reading this months BA Magazine gave me the right kick in the butt.

Decent head and stays as you drink it down leaving good lacing. The smell is nothing short of amazing.

The "amazingness" continues as you take the first sip. Super smooth, almost a slight burnt taste from the bitterness. Sweet tasting as you swollow.

Unfortunately I had no idea this was bottle conditioned and poured all the yeast into this beer after my first few sips :/

None the less its one of my new favorite IPAs!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

The West Coast IPA pours a copper color with a 1/2 inch of head. You will note in the bottle, the pour, and finally in your glass sediment/hops, from dry hopping I think. It distracts a little from the beers appearance I feel. Not much lacing, but I find myself swirling this beer alot, so no lacing would be left.

Pine on the nose with a little citrus and maybe some other fruits, and a very light malty sweetness.

This beer is delicious. Bitter hops and fruits are perfect in this beer along with a nice touch of malt without going over the top. I like the lack of balance as sometime the fruit is less present, sometimes very fruity. The sediment isn't noticed at all when drinking this fantastic IPA.

This beer will be in my fridge often. Mozol tov!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I wasn't too impressed with Green Flash's other offerings but nevertheless decided to give this one a shot. Boy, am I glad that I did. Here goes:

A: Excellent. Pours an amber-orange that's not exactly clear, but it produces a great, robust head with tons of lacing. Head lingers for minutes and is quite fluffy.

S: No complaints here either. Lots of Pacific NW hops; almost no malt is detectable. Lots of grapefruit, orange and lemon peel.

T: Again, quite impressive. Very robust hop presence and aftertaste. Grapefruit and lemon fill the palate and linger on long after consumption. Couldn't ask for anything more in terms of hops. There's somewhat of an amber malt taste that's present at the forefront, but this quickly gives way to hops.

M: Very rich and full-bodied. Not creamy like a stout but lies heavily on the tongue. Tons of carbonation as well

O: An excellent beer. It was well worth the 3-dollar price. I only wish that I had gotten another bottle.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

For hop heads only. Color is orange pale with slight chill haze. My latest pour 9/19/20 shows a one finger head. Smells like a hop locker in a Cali brewery. Strong pine almost marijuana bud floral. Taste presents fresh hop taste, with a noble hop baseline. Malt is not a strong part of the taste profile, but I have had hoppy beers that lacked the malt back and this isn't one of them. Medium carbonation in the mouth with (what else) hop aftertaste. Really wakes up the old tastebuds.

I would say that it has good drinkability, but if you don't like the California IPA style, you won't like to drink more than one glass.

Truly one of my favorites.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

They sell this in my Paris supermarket, that is dominated by Belgian beers. So it must be good :)

Actually it is Belgian, pretending to be American..! I read the bottle and it says brewed and bottled in Belgium :)

The colour of this beer is amazing. Wow, it almost shines like a lantern.

Wow, the aroma is strong, it's like apricot juice.

Flavour, more bitter than I expected from the apricot juice aroma. It's very bitter in it's aftertaste, after a sweet initial zing. Zinging is a very good description of this. It reminds me a bit of a gin and tonic with too much lime in. And the time I once ate an orange peel as an experiment....

According to the bottle, there are 5 layers of hops. This explains the bitterness. It is probably the most bitter beer I have tried.

The contrast of the apricotty aroma as you take a sip, with the intense bitterness, is truly an experience unknown to me in my many exploits in beer drinking. This is at a new level.

Do I like the taste..?

It's a bit too bitter and sour. It does need a bit more sweetness. It is an acquired taste. Perhaps the American one is better.

Edit, it improves each time you have, and it is a truly refreshing alternative to other beer styles...

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I'm at a loss right now. So unexpected. West Coast is the same colour as Schneider Weisse Hopfen-Weisse, which I think is amazing for an American IPA. Deep burnt orange. Quite cloudy. The head dissipates quickly but leaves nice lacing. Beautiful.
The smell is exactly what you'd expect from a beer with Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and Cascade hops - fruity, citrus, piney, floral all at once. Not much else can sneak by that barrage.
The taste is surprising well-balanced considering how insanely hoppy the finish is. Nice sweetness up-front, but not even close to the bitter that follows. The pine and citrus dominate.
Medium-bodied, with a dry finish and a perfect amount of carbonation.
Overall, this beer is ridiculously good. I WILL be picking this up again.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I've had Green Flash West Coast IPA a million times–it's crazy that I have yet to review it. It's finally time. I had a pint of this last weekend at The Pub at the University of Chicago (yes, we have a beer bar on campus...). Served in a regular old pint glass.

Appearance (4.25/5): Deep copper, almost amber hue, translucent, hazy, one-finger white bubbly head, lots of sticky, resinous white residue clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell (4.5/5): Oh, glorious hops! Green Flash has one of the finest noses on an IPA. It features wonderfully dank grapefruit and pine notes, with some herbal and floral overtones. A hint of sweet malt in the background. Very green and lush. This is one pungent ale. Hats off to Green Flash for crafting such a good nose.

Taste (4.5/5): From the get-go, I get straight grapefruit pith–very bitter and dry. The complexity here is something to behold, though. Resinous piney notes surface, along with some herbal and floral notes hinted at in the aroma. I'm getting a bit of orange peel in there, too. Green Flash didn't skimp on the malt–it's of good quality and really plays the supporting role well, not getting in the way of the luxurious hoppiness of the beer.

Mouthfeel (5/5): Prickly, moderately puckering, very dry, and an exceptionally long and bitter finish. Medium carbonation and body round out the pristine mouthfeel. Perhaps the perfect example of what a West Coast style IPA's mouthfeel should be.

Overall (4.5/5): Green Flash West Coast IPA is a classic of the style and a must for any hop head.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to Jwale73 for this!

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No bottle dating.

a- hazy orange that's uniform throughout. has a tiny, bubbly head, and the lacing is bubbles.

s- holy crap, this beer smells incredible. i can clearly smell the citrus fruits of strong orange and grapefruit. there's a sweet honey smell to it. really really strong...i can smell this beer from a foot away. awesome stuff.

t- this beer is AWESOME. it's such a bright beer, with a great and crisp bitterness. It's dominated by citrus of orange and grapefruit mostly, but again, it tastes of light honey, and wave of bitterness hits. the malt background is understated, so basically perfect for an IPA. This is delicious!

m- med-body, med carbonation. it's a creamy ipa, with the alcohol well-hidden except for the lingering warmth as it goes down.

o- i haven't had an IPA this good in forever. this is great, great stuff.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a clear amber with a sticky off-white head than leaves a nice ring of lace. Smells hoppy. Quality and quantity as far as the hops go. The label tells me that Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and Cascade hops are all present. I love the smell of this beer. Pungent to say the least. Most hop characteristics are present and easily distinguished. I am reminded of hops trouble-making cousin. Has a sticky malty back to hold up against the bitterness of the hops but the hop flavor and aroma are prevalent. A solid West Coast IPA Representative. Fulll-bodied with enough carbonation to fight off the sticky sweet.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

seaoflament hooked me up with this as a bonus in a recent trade. can't say enough about a guy who basically doubled what he was supposed to send me. big thanks carlos!

12oz bottle. sampled june 7/08.

pours orangey copper colour with a small dense white head. the head drops fast and leaves spotty lace.

wow, aroma is excellent. bit of alcohol. powdery hops. pine, grapefruit, orange. bit of tangerine. caramel. white bread and crackers.

taste is great. medium bitterness level. light alcohol. white bread and cracker. pine. grapefruit. bit of orange and tangerine. light caramel.

mouthfeel is great. medium well integrated carbonation. medium body.

drinkability is great. excellent balance. great hop depth. really liked this one.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured an unfiltered copper color with a tall white head. Very fine foam. Pretty good retention and lace.

Smells utterly delicious. Sweet citrus meets fresh pine bough. Graprefruit, tangerine, and wet pine sap mingle beautifully in the aroma.

A "vry tsty" beer. Malty for a self-proclaimed west coast IPA. Lots of bitter pine and pithiness.

Slightly sticky and dry, it goes down smooth. The finish is very bitter and lingers appropriatly. Overall an excellent beer. I can't believe it took me so long to try this.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

I love this beer. Taking into account all factors including availability and reliability, this is probably my favorite IPA.

It pours smoothly with a midsized fluffy head. The thickness of the brew is immediately apparent in its rich gold-red sap color. The scent is HEAVENLY. One of my favorite things about this beer is the scent of opening and pouring one. An absolutely delightful medley of sweet citrus and deep boxy pine tickle the nose and excite the brain. Smells absolutely FRESH, like waking up outside basking in the morning sun.

The flavor matches the scent beautifully. Though it earns its 95 IBUs with aggressively hopped bitterness, there is at the same time a deep and well-tamed citrus explosion going on all over your tongue. This beer is bursting with tropical tangy overtones, but it maintains a refined presence, leaving a satisfying aftertaste which is not as sticky as you would initially imagine. The mouthfeel is often considered harsh. I personally find it very appealing to have this thickness in an IPA, but I agree that it subtracts somewhat from drinkability.

Hop fanatics will love this beer. Others will likely take it or leave it. For me personally, it is a reliable and consistently entertaining friend, who always has a few new jokes to tell.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.