Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,801 | Hads: 7,477

As a lover of both San Diego and the Green Flash Brewery the current quality of this previously excellent double IPA is a huge disappointment. I cannot put my finger on it. Perhaps I enjoy their Hop Head Red and Le Freak so much that the West Coast IPA no longer measures up. The malty taste of alcohol is too strong, yet the red copper color is still inviting. I avoid it in the store and grab it on tap only when other fine IPAs are not available. The aroma and taste are no longer as clean as it once was. Still a good beer, but no longer a stand out.

This beer pours a slightly hazy amber with a thin head and lacing to the end. The aroma is fruity, with hints of pine and sweet malt. The flavor is citrus fruit, mainly grapefruit with pine, grass, and toffee notes. The mouthfeel is meedium and slightly dry. Green Flash West Coast IPA is a good beer, a good match for chicken burritos. Recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From cask ...

The beer poured an orange light brown color with a lacey head that retained well beyond the initial pour. There was a slight cloudiness to the beer, but quite minimal and transparent overall.

The smell was exceptional ... what you'd expect from an IPA. Very fresh on the nose with a grassy pine aroma that you'd expect from a walk in the forest.

The citrus notes came in very strong all the way through from sip to swallow. Grapefruit is the overwhelming flavor, one that I'm not particularly fond of.

This flavor left you with an extremely dry feel in the mouth in terms of the overall finish. I couldn't help but feel parched on the tongue.

The tastes I was not fond of mellowed out after by about the second or third pint; however, the first pint was not easy to drink.

On Night #2 of trying this, I was not able to get past the first pint at all; hence my low score in drinkability.

I'm quite a Hop Head --- but I'm not a fan of grapefruit so it makes it quite difficult for me to appreciate this particular beer despite my love for IPAs.

I'd probably overlook this beer in the future, but would be very interested in trying other beers from this brewery.

The West Coast IPA is a pretty standard West Coast IPA. Hops are blended nicely without too much harsh astringency, but in the end, it's the same grapefruit and resin aromas we all know by heart.

Malt is 2-row and caramel.

Medium body

~ 2.5 V carbonation

A great beer, and I've heard it won some awards, but you could probably make something similar at home with your eyes closed.

3.03/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance: apricot/amber..clear, medium head

Smell: grapefruit and pine

Taste: grapefruit, pine, with a honey finish

Mouthfeel: smooth and bitter

Drinkability: To me this is a strong hop bomb. If you love hops, you will love this beer. I find this one very one dimensional and will be passing for more interesting IPAs.

3.04/5  rDev -27.4%

14 Feb 08

Had a draft at the Toronado, San Fransisco.

A: Gold with lost of rising bubbles, thin white head.

S: Full-o-citrus, low malt & esters.

T: Med malt with huge hop flavor. All US citrus and more citrus, becoming too much. . . is that Simcoe I taste? Way out of balance. A hop hammer which can be good, but usually not great.

M: Medium body with high CO2 and prickly pallet.

D: Medium to low due to lack of balance. I wonder how the hop shortage will change this beer?

3.04/5  rDev -27.4%

A: Poured a goldenish deep orange color with almost no head to it.

S: Pine and citrus notes

T: Caramel malt, pine, citrus and Dawn dish detergent. Grassy

M: Heavy for a single West Coast IPA and soapy, bittering on end with pronounced booze

O: Average is generous

3.05/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours with a white creamy head doesn't last a long time. Light coppery color sightly cloudy apperance. Sweet malty aroma slight hint of pine. Nice malty taste piney slight citrus hop taste. Good balance not as hoppy as I would like it to be.Medium bodied good clean taste.not a great beer but not a bad one either. I could drink another.

3.06/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Smooth on the palate, with tastes of citrus and pine but with an overwhelming bitter aftertaste. Bitterness hides the other nuanced flavors. Tastes like an ipa, rather than a double.

3.08/5  rDev -26.5%

Amber orange color, with a lot of floating corpuscles.
Egg shell colored foam, creamy, right.
Piney, resiny at the smell, with citrus fruit notes.
In the taste again piney and resiny, even more intense. Malt and caramel support all.
A good long bitterness in the aftertaste, with sharp grassynotes, root, rhubarb.
Maybe in the long run it will be a bit boring, but it is clean and balanced.

3.09/5  rDev -26.3%

355 ml bottle, into tulip. Pours cloudy (indicating dry-hopping) orangeish body with thick, stable off-white head that sticks to the walls. Aroma is clean malty sweetness with spicy, earthy, floral, citrusy hops and fruitiness that might be ester or hop-derived. The flavor is spicy, earthy and grapefruity hops with some pungency, supported by solid backbone of clean malty sweetness. Dry finish with resinous bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste with a presence of oaken flavor which is inappropriate. Medium-light bodied with moderate yet still soft carbonation. The West Coast IPA, well, the brewer might not be a Master of his profession but he certainly knows the Geography well.

3.09/5  rDev -26.3%

A_Medium cloudy amber with a one finger creamy head. Nice sized bubbles dot the crown

S_mild aroma. Mid level pine notes

T_mostly pine soaked hops. Not too strong though. As a whole it is mostly dry and bitter. Faint biscuity malt comes out a bit. Some spice on the finish. There is a slight acidity which detracts a bit

M_Med body and carbonation

D_A middle of the road IPA. Nothing offensive here but nothing that really stands out and grabs you.

3.11/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A: Pours a hazy reddish orange color. Normal pour leads to a 1 finger light tan head that disappears to a small ring in a few moments. Lacing is thick and plentiful.

S: Definitely pulling some hops but the malt is shining through this one more than anything. This probably means its past its prime but who knows seeing as there is no freshness date.

T: Follows the nose although the malt base is really wonderful it's really the foremost flavor in this beer. Normally that wouldn't be bad but this beer is called "West Coast IPA" and I'm sure while fresh it's hop forward but this one, not so much.

M: Nice feel, creamy, bitter finish. Bitterness is actually pretty prevalent.

O: Well, I'm kinda pissed that I dropped $11 on a 4-pack. I've been waiting and waiting to try this beer because it gets good reviews. Well, Green Flash. You burned me. I won't be going back to this IPA until you start putting freshness dates on the bottle.

3.11/5  rDev -25.8%

wow, this thing has a huge head for an IPA. Thick and foamy 2 finger job, and sticks around. Color is they typical IPA, cloudy brown-orange.

Holy crap, is there a bottle of perfume in this thing?!?!? this baby has some kind of floral presence... behind that i get hops and maybe some brown sugar.

This baby is hoppy alright, but it's a real floral hop, not really feeling it. My mouth feels like I just took a sip of perfume. the beer seems to be constructed well, just not my style of hop i guess.

3.12/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

This is the new recipe.

The beer comes in a dark hazy amber.

The aroma is malty, but really nothing left of hops. This probably means an old bottle.

The flavor is completely blank in the front. Oxidized hops of wet leaves. The back continues with some hoppy bitterness on the back of resinous pine.

This is what happens when a beer has a Best By date on the label, but no date anywhere.

3.13/5  rDev -25.3%

This beer was available at a hotel lobby bar in New York City and I was dying for some hops.

Overall, not that impressed with how it traveled. At home it's typically a solid choice. Seems like the strong bitterness and a round maltiness took over from what is normally a range of hoppy flavors.

Can't wait to get home and drink the real deal.

3.13/5  rDev -25.3%

Appearance: Slightly hazy. Really dark amber color. 1 finger, creamy head. Good Lacing.

Smell: Tart citrus and heavy pine. There's also some floral, grapefruit and tangerine with a touch of caramel lingering far in the background.

Taste: A ton of bitter hops. Mostly bitter resinous pine and bitter citrus rind.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, light creaminess, long lasting bitter, dry, oily/resinous finish.

Overall: If the point of this IPA is balanced layers of bitterness then its definitely a winner. I've never used the term "dank" for a beer before, but I'm assuming it can be used here. Based on the good reviews, this is a quality many people go for, but I seriously doubt I'll ever buy this again - just not my thing.

3.15/5  rDev -24.8%

a: clear orange color, steady carbonated stream in the middel, huge foamy head settles to two fingers thickness
s: piny hops aroma overpower anything else going on
t: piny hops form the backbone here with citrus fruits appearing near the finish, subtle hoppy bitter finish
m: medium body that finishes crisply with plenty of carbonation
d: not a bad ipa, not the best but worth a try

3.15/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours to a carmel orange color with good lacing, cloudy and hazy.

Smell of hops with a citrus finish.

Very hoppy with dry bitter alcohol after taste. Toasted hops.

Mouthfeel started light and finished with the bitter hoppy after taste.

It's a decent IPA, the 7.3% alcohol is apparent but not overpowering. Would not purchase again however, if I'm in a bar and it's on tap I might try it if one of my favorites are not available.

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

The beer is an amber and cloudy. The head on the beer is amazing. Fluffy clouds float on top and cling to the edge nice.

The nose is punget citrus, slight pine and plent of hoppyness not really any malt

The taste reminds me of furious but bitter. Full of hops citrus floral flavors but the taste dramatically turns to a full on bitter. Hrm. This beer is confusing the flavors don't mix well each ok on their own but fruity hops the earth bitterness don't meld for me not to say its bad just not for me

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

Another treat I got from my trade with raoulduke37.

Quotation on the neck label: "A menagerie of hops are layered throughout the brewing process. Simcoe for unique fruitiness and grapefruit zest, Columbus for strong hop pungency, Centennial for pine and citrus notes, Cascade for floral aroma. A multi-dimensional hop experience." I like their style. Providing a little education along with the beer. Nicey!

An inch and a half of frothy tan head. A nice little cap sticks around for the duration. But only a tiny amount of lacing hangs on to the sides of the glass. The liquid is cloudy and a dark orange, almost iced tea brown color.

I literally could smell the hoppy goodness the second I popped the cap off. You gotta love when that happens. In the pint glass, I detect a little bit of burnt roastiness, grapefruit, pine, very faint bit of candied pineapple... however, the nose as a whole is more subdued than I was expecting, especially based on the first whiff from the bottle. Strange.

The taste is very strongly influenced by pine, with extreme bitterness. Unfortunately, I have to say I'm having trouble picking out the fruit flavors here. Where they at? It's very hoppy. There's no denying that. I just wish it were a more well-rounded kind of hoppy. Okay, as it warms, it improves a little. There are now a few hints of grapefruit, pineapple and flowers, but these are very difficult to pick out of the sea of... well, just bitterness. I love bitter beers, but I think 95 IBUs might be going a little overboard, and actually working against the beer in this case. Even as it approaches room temperature, the bitterness still almost completely overpowers all other flavors, but it's definitely better warmer. I would recommend starting it out at room temp. for maximum hops flavors, but even then, you need to be prepared to have your taste buds destroyed by bitterness. Now, at the end of the glass, I can hardly taste it anymore.

Mouthfeel is medium, and I like the amount of carbonation. West Coast IPA is drinkable if you can stand the bitterness, but I imagine this beer would be practically undrinkable for someone not used to bitter beers.

This IPA is insane! I would be terrified to try a DIPA from Green Flash, based on this little number. I'm glad I got an opportunity to try this, but it's not really working for me.

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

Again, I tried this from a taster last night. Not my style, but I wanted to try and branch out. Much better than I thought from an IPA, but a bit too much for me.

A - Yellowish-copper body and head that dissipated rather quickly

S - Smelled very citrusy!

T - almost a spicy, citrusy taste on this one. Again, not my style, but I can see IPA folks loving this one.

O - Overall for me a bit too hoppy. Had I been into IPAs I think I would have loved this beer.

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

Take my review with a grain of salt as A) Im 3000+ miles from the brewery and B) the bottle I poured from has no born on date so creation knows how old this bottle may be. Anyway, here goes...

A - Poured a medium honey gold color, hazy from unfiltration. Particles present, very small and not unpleasant.

S - VERY malty. Hop presence not very notable to be honest. What I could detect seemed mildy piny.

T - For the traditionalist this is an outstanding IPA. But when I think "West Coast IPA" I think of a bursting hop presence with very little malt backbone. So to me, this was a bit too malty to leave me wanting more than the bomber I had. But hey, thats just me.

M - This was the best part of the beer for me. Nice thick - but not too much - mouthfeel with a very smooth finish. Very dry.

O - Overall, Id say its okay. I do say that with much reservation however. I would very much like to try it in the SoCal area on tap, where I know its fresh. This beer's reputation preceded it upon buying the bottle and frankly I was disappointed. Not by the beer as a whole, just seems put in the wrong category.

**Also worthy of note is that what I drank also has a different label. It was purple and came in the 22 0z. bottle.

3.19/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Green Flash can be a diamond in the ruff depending on what bar you are in or what liquor store you are in here in SD. I had this straight from the bottle, strong IPA taste and kind of intense after flavour. Not a bad IPA but wouldnt get it if it were sitting beside other SD craft beers.

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Presented in a stubby 12oz bottle and poured into my Stone IPA glass. Heresy? Maybe...
Well, it started out looking good; all coppery with lots of carbonation and a tall off-white head that left nice sheets of lace behind.
The nose had a pretty robust hops punch to it as well as a decent caramel malt note. But there was a tinder-dry woody aroma that seemed out of place.
Odd, that woodiness came across in the taste, too. It left a flat "dead spot" mid-palate as the sweet malts and light vanilla flavor transitioned to the hops flavor. Hops were plentiful and quite citric but that yawning gulf of wooden deadness just took away the overall character, leaving things to seem disjointed and thrown together. The feel was medium-bodied and crisp.
I dunno, this West Coast IPA just didn't hit the spot for me. The two elements were too far apart and that dead zone was a turn-off for me, pure and simple. I'll stick to putting Stone's IPA in my Stone IPA glass from now on and pass on this brew.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.