Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
4000qtrap

Missouri

2.3/5  rDev -45.5%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Intense pine, grapefruit.

Taste: Crushing grassy bitterness. Like chewing on grass or eating unroasted coffee. Astringent grape skins. Slightly herbal. Very dry and bitter finish.

Notes: Did not enjoy even though I often like very hoppy beers. This was just too one-dimensional and astringent.

01-03-2010 06:49:13 | More by 4000qtrap
memory

2.4/5  rDev -43.1%

I had this in bottle 2 years ago and it tasted much more balanced than just having it currently on tap.
Tastes extremely bitter, reminded me of chinook on steroids. But looking at their site chinook aren't used. Simcoe, columbus, cent and cascade. Whatever the hop schedule was, I don't care for it. Must be a hell of a lot of columbus and cascade. Grapefruit city. Normally bitter beers I can deal with but not enough sweet malt to counter balance for me. Just seemed one dimensional.
One and done for taste buds. Sorry.

03-14-2010 05:07:30 | More by memory
PEBKAC

2.42/5  rDev -42.7%

Last call for me at the Brazen Head Cask Fest. One of the few beers that night(Friday) with any noticeable flavor. If my mouth was having a bad day, then this stuff would of surely killed me on any other.

It's cask, so it ain't exactly pretty. It squeezed off just a touch of head, & the floaties were still groggy, so it's a better then average pour to me.

Imagine lighting some Tibetan medicinal incense(the ones with over 800 "cleansing" ingredients), noticing how "wet" it smells, then promptly suck it up your left nostril. Then chase it with a spritz of Pine-Sol. Double Simcoe, Ruination, this hurts like nothing else I've had. If it was dialed down a notch & a half I could of appreciated it more. It smells better from a distance. :P

Now, regardless of what you read, I'm not a hippy. I just happen to like incense. I have a regular everyday job & the last time I saw a hackey sack, I crushed it with my love of capitalism.

For taste, rancid Ecto-Cooler is probably the easiest way for me to describe the taste. A whole lot of grapefruit juice mixed in with a squeeze of extra harsh SunnyD. Practically burns your throat. Maybe a couple stale croutons are floating around in there, but it's all concentrated hop juice. It's hard to define the alcohol in all this. I'm sure some people drink the stuff for breakfast & toasted with it at their wedding, but it's too much for me.

Mouthfeel, as with nearly all cask pales I've had, is a smidgen thicker then the norm. Sediment is only obvious once you reach the bottom. Even for cask, carbonation was low.

I just can't drink it. I had a few other patrons rooting for me. Even a try & chugging the last few ounces almost ended in disaster.

02-27-2008 01:19:28 | More by PEBKAC

cgarwood

12-24-2012 15:26:40 | More by cgarwood
jucifer1818

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

A: medium amber, almost grepefruity red ting to it. Rather inviting
4/5

S: a lot of grape fruit here with a distinctive hoppy aroma
4/5

T: Very, very, very heavy handed bittering hops. Has a light fruity (Grapefruit) back taste, but its overwhelmed by the intense hoppyness. and that's the problem. this brew used too much bittering hops and not enough malt, making a very unbalanced beer that I find rather difficult to drink
2/5,
4.5/5 if you want a unbalanced overly bitter brew

Mouthfeel: very light and difficult to describe as the hoppy bite makes it hard to tell anything about mouth-feel
2/5

Final: 2/5
Lets be frank, I'm not a fan of this beers taste and mouth feel. Its too heavy handed with its hops and comes out more like hop tea than beer to me.
If that's what you want then you will like this one
that's not what I look forward to with a beer

without that malt sweetness to counter the bitterness I jut cant enjoy this beer

if you can enjoy that kind of beer, you will like it.
just remember, maltheads and those weak against bitterness should just order something else.

12-08-2012 03:21:37 | More by jucifer1818
DrDemento456

2.55/5  rDev -39.6%

Ordered a Lagunitas WTF but they told me the keg tapped so I order a Southern Tier IPA and was given this first along with the Southern Tier for free so I thought I would review it.

A - Looks like a nice IPA. Hazy amber in color with laces of frothy white foam.

S - Smells mostly of hops and malts. Slight grapefruit and citrus burred under their somewhere

T - Oh god no! It tastes as bad as I remember! The true abomination of citrus pine sol, soapy flavor and all, hit the tongue but with a mild malty background that reminds you that it's a beer. I normally don't do this but I gagged drinking it.

M - Leaves the palate clear. I am not a swearing man but I swear I just washed my mouth out with soap.

D - If this is your first, heck 10th IPA please avoid! Needless to say the southern tier and stone IPA's I had that night were crisp delicious in hops flavor compared to this liquid soap.

Stay away if you can! Their are plenty of other IPA's to try!

04-14-2010 19:31:17 | More by DrDemento456
alexipa

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -38.4%

The beer is an orange-ish hue with a decent head for an IPA. It smells great with a bit of sweetness and fruit of which I can't put my finger on. The taste is hoppy, as you'd expect from an IPA, and starts off with a fruity note equating to the smell. The aftertaste is what strikes me as very 'off' with this one. It keeps its hops all the way through, which is great; however towards the end of the sip I'm hit by an intense metallic and soapy flavor that ruined the experience for me. I've noticed several bad IPAs having this aftertase, just not quite this prevalent. It seemed to have the makings of a great IPA before this point.

I'm thinking perhaps I got a bad barrel, but I will likely never know as I won't be giving this another try from the tap.

10-07-2011 20:58:56 | More by alexipa
mactrail

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tremendously bitter. You get a brief flash of rich malt followed by a blast of hops. Great, if that's why you drink beer. The malt leaves a slight sweetness on the lips. And that's it. The hops leave a dank, harsh, bitterness on the tongue.

Clear orange amber in the pint glass. Decent foam and carbonation. Nose of hops, resins, and more hops. Water chaser is indicated with this one. At Trio restaurant in Palm Springs (tasted 02/25/2012).

03-17-2012 19:05:53 | More by mactrail
mjc410

Vermont

2.7/5  rDev -36%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic puts up a one finger head light tan head that falls slowly, leaving a bit of foam around the glass. Below, the beer has a nice transparent copper hue with a somewhat yellow tint.

The nose yields hefty piney hop aromas, with some nice malty sweetness too. Some citrus as well.

This is quite forward in the hops department, and the particular types they've used for this aren't my favorite. Overly piney. Pretty tough, really. Hardly any malt presence, just a mess of hop-overload.

This does, though, have excellent fine carbonation and a great mouthfeel.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this one...I've got the rest of a six-pack to dispose of somehow!

A picture of my own: http://flickr.com/photos/20883076@N05/3206595559/

04-27-2014 03:54:03 | More by squirrel49
jujubeast6000

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

Reviewed 9/18/2008 (bottle):

Pours an amber coloredcolored body, clear, with a creamy white color head, huge but diminishing. Has a grapefruity aroma, with some sweet maltiness. Somewhat smooth watery taste, bitter aftertaste. Okay but not much body.

03-24-2009 04:50:29 | More by jujubeast6000
kojevergas

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. It ought to be said that IPAs are usually me least favourite style. I'm hoping this is an exception.

A: Pours a three finger head of nice soft cream lacing, good thickness, and very good retention (especially for the 7.3% ABV). Dark caramel-copper colour.

Sm: Citra hops - and that's it. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Very hoppy without being overly bitter. Some caramelized malt intrudes, a feature I don't find welcome. Foundation is bland barley. Build is simple and largely imbalanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but also artificial. It's very strange and doesn't at all suit the taste. Bleh!

Dr: Drinkable for the ABV, but comprised of low quality flavours that turn me away. I won't be having this again.

09-19-2011 07:06:15 | More by kojevergas
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

12oz into 22oz pint glass, no freshness date.

A- pale pale body and a big white head that takes a while to settle. A nice lace ring and some streaks down the glass.

S- Pretty inviting sweet flowers and fruit, and a bit of fusel alcohol.

T-Grapefruit and dish soap. Lots of bitter grapefruit rind, the soapiness is not welcome. I've come across this a few times before, not sure if it's a combination of pale malt and a certain hop variety or what. Not my cup o' tea. Not a whole lot of depth to this one either.

M- Very bitter and a bit astringent. Not really winning any points here. Not bad, but I'm not impressed.

O- Aggressively bitter but ultimately lacking the focus I expect from a west coast IPA. Something I doubt I'll revisit in this cutthroat IPA market. Much better coming out of California.

09-06-2011 21:41:44 | More by ShogoKawada
madmanjf

2.9/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From cask ...

The beer poured an orange light brown color with a lacey head that retained well beyond the initial pour. There was a slight cloudiness to the beer, but quite minimal and transparent overall.

The smell was exceptional ... what you'd expect from an IPA. Very fresh on the nose with a grassy pine aroma that you'd expect from a walk in the forest.

The citrus notes came in very strong all the way through from sip to swallow. Grapefruit is the overwhelming flavor, one that I'm not particularly fond of.

This flavor left you with an extremely dry feel in the mouth in terms of the overall finish. I couldn't help but feel parched on the tongue.

The tastes I was not fond of mellowed out after by about the second or third pint; however, the first pint was not easy to drink.

On Night #2 of trying this, I was not able to get past the first pint at all; hence my low score in drinkability.

I'm quite a Hop Head --- but I'm not a fan of grapefruit so it makes it quite difficult for me to appreciate this particular beer despite my love for IPAs.

I'd probably overlook this beer in the future, but would be very interested in trying other beers from this brewery.

02-13-2008 20:07:49 | More by madmanjf
Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.