Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,801 | Hads: 7,475
4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. Bottle. Pours a almost clear orange color with a white fluffy head and sticky lacing.

The nose has an intense dank and citrus/orange notes too it.

The bitterness is balanced and lingering with strong notes of citrus/grapefruit and pine.

Really well made and drinkable beer.

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Growler filled at the Finger Lakes Beverage center in Ithaca. Enjoyed several pints. Pours a slightly hazy light orange with frothy white head and lots of lacing. Heavy citrus hop aroma and taste to match with hints of grapefruit. Sweet in the middle with a nice dry finish. Very typical west coast example of this style. Medium body with great drinkability.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Purchased a six pack of this beer at the Wine Gallery in Brookline Massachusetts. Poured in to my Sam Adams pint glass a mild hazy orange, with a clingy, large white head, and tiny pieces of sediment floating here and there. Nose gives off a perfume of pungent, oily hops, pine tree, hints of citrus, and fresh cream. Taste is full of complexities, many of which include some of the smells above. The most remarkable aspect of it is the hop flavor, which comes in waves, and leaves your taste buds a bit numb and beaten up. Body is thick, and oily...pretty big and bold for this style. Although the flavors are really strong and come right at you, I could probably put four or five of these back easily. This is a very good IPA IMO. I have to admit that I have not been very impressed with any of the Green Flash big beers that I have tried (Stout and DIPA). This one on the other hand is a sure winner, and one that I will be buying again in the future. Cheers

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a hazy orange amber color with a full finger off white head that is pretty stiff and fades slowly, leaving sheets of Belgian lacing behind. Numerous suspended chucks worth considering. The smell is aggressive floral and piny with a balanced sweetness to it. Adequately carbonated, the mouth feel is primarily tangy from the hops and there's a nice lingering resin texture. Full flavored, the taste is overwhelmingly a citrus hop; grapefruits and tangerines. Wow, really well done. Nothing left up to interpretation here!! and there is nothing shy about it either. Really well done...a boat load of quality ingredients in this one. The 7% ABV is hidden beneath the resin. Really easy to drink and well within the seconds or thirds envelop! Highly recommended.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Served in a pint tumbler from a 12 oz brown stubby bottle.

Pours with good body, hazy gold color making a modest head that leaves good lacing. Appearance is orange and excessively hazy by the end of the pour.

Aroma dominated by bold "C" hops, lots of pine. Not much in the way of maltiness, but a hint of pilsner-like honey.

Flavor is also heavy with lupulin goodness, clearly this is what a west coast IPA is all about. Pleasant flavor, "balanced" only in the sense of a west coast IPA. A bit of sweetness and plenty of body in the finish.

Drinkability is good, not cloying like too many of this style. I could have another, but body was a bit too heavy to declare it "refreshing".

3.89/5  rDev -7.2%

I dig the West Coast stubby bottles. This beer is seriously chill-hazed amber color with a nice light tan head. Lacing is rock solid. I might have pulled this from about a 40 degree beer fridge, surprised at the haze...

Aroma is big and citrusy hops. Not a lot of malt backing up this floral display. I'm ok with that today. Yeah the taste comes in big on the hop citrus, mixed fairly nicely with some caramel sweet malt. The whole thing quickly turns bitter, almost drawing a shudder from me on my first big sip. This is good bitter. It eases back quickly but leaves remnants of it self on the palate for many seconds to follow.

Good body, nice smooth feel with maybe a little less carbonation than I would prefer. Still a nice effort and really the epitomy of what I expect from the west coast in general. Another reason to love San Diego!

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer poured a clear brown amber color and formed a pure white foamy head that left latticed lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma heavy of hops with grapefruit, pine and other citrus. The flavor was of hops, grapefruit, pine, a bit of caramel and pepper. The body is fairly light and the finish is fairly astringent with a hint of pepper. A nice IPA but at the price range here in Ohio at least, I will stick to my Bell's and Stone for my regular IPAs.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

A - A not-so-careful pour yields a 1/2 finger khaki colored head. Tons of sediment from the bottom of the bottle managed to make it's way into my pour, so there are a few nice-sized chunks of spent yeast/hops.

S - Grapefruity, pineappley hops! It's been a minute since an IPA I've drank had such a nose. Great smelling brew. Piney hops in the back.

T - Pretty nice taste, but I'm not huge on the finish. The hop oils are a little much for a standard AIPA. Tastes like someone squeezing a pine tree into your mouth. I like it, but have had better.

M - Slightly undercarbonated for my tastes, but pretty nice body.

D - I had really high hopes for this but the finish kills it a little for me. It's bitter as hell, and yes, it does ease up the more you drink it... it totally wrecks your palate.

Notes: I'd pick this up again, but not as consistently as say, Two Hearted, or Snoqualmie Wildcat. I have one more in the fridge, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it... but I'll remember that this one beats the hell out of your tongue.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

a beautiful light copper color, with an off white head leaving lacing on the side of the glass but not going away. the smell is a wonderful array of hops, I'm sure if they weren't there I would pick up on more of the malts that I'm getting a hint of. the taste once again continues the blast of hops but the malts come through a bit better, and it doesn't lack for carbonation. All in all a really good IPA, I think I'm going to cut my girlfriend off and drink the rest myself.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

This one is a staple in my beer fridge, and with the recent release of their delicious new Hop Head Red, I thought it high time for me to plug some words down that properly express why I like to drink this beer. West Coast is a darker IPA in the glass, bordering on a medium-dark caramel tone that eerily reminds me of the locals' leathered skin when I lived in America's Wang, Florida. The smell is a smack of resin, intermitten with a catty note. Not unpleasant, but it does have an intensity that speaks of its west coast roots. After a couple sips you can really get a handle on the hops. They rampage around the tongue and assault it with hits of pine, citrus, grapefruit zest, cut grass and once again that racy twang of hemp. Mmmm. Malt is not forgotten though, and lends a weight to the body, resulting in a full mouth-feel. The finish goes on all week and makes this a beer to savor, even if you are sessioning it. Thanks again Green Flash for providing me with yet another reason for my roomies to think I am a functioning alcoholic.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

got this in trade from Rzzzz. Thanks for the hookup.
Beautiful pour into my DFH curved pint glass. Light orange color with a nice off-white head which lasts quite a while.
Plenty of citric hop in the aromas.
Flavors are dominated by bitter citrus and grapefruit hops but there is a malt undertone which lends a nice balance. Definitely a hop bomb but a balanced one.
Mouthfeel is right on for the style. Hop oils lightly coat the tongue with a nice bit of carbonation.
This is a delightful beer to drink. A really good west coast IPA. I could easily have finished several of these if I had more than one of them. We can get this here now so a sixer of this is the next thing on my beer list.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint

A - Cloudy, viscous-thick orange, like a Troegs Nugget Nectar color. Tempting one finger, globby off white head. Looks delicious as can be.

S - Sweet, citrusy hops. Nothing fancy, but the aroma is present and willing, which counts.

T - This bottle might be a touch old, so it's not as superlative as this beer can sometimes be. More of a citrus than pine kick to the hops flavor. Doesn't try to be complex - good.

M/D - Thick liquid, which makes me go wild for IPA's like that. Sort of syrupy, a great texture.

Gets lost in the West Coast IPA crowd sometimes, and within some of its peer brews from Green Flash itself, this IPA is always a favorite. It looks great, has a wonderful mouthfeel, is fairly drinkable, behaves like an IPA without being a carbon copy of Stone and other more famous IPA's, has its own style and absolutely holds its ground against them.

Not world class, but definitely "worthy" within its style as an easy drinker to share and pass the time.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Dark murky orange-woody colored brew with a big fluffy, soapy, shiny, resinous, frothy head that reaches over the top of my glass. Mmmm - hops-a-plenty in the nose. Aroma is packed with grapefruit candy, orange, pine, apples, and crisp flowery goodness laid over enough malt to hold it up. Taste is no let down with more citrus, pine, and flowers. Nice amount of bitterness and carbonation leaves the tongue tingly. Texture is indeed resinous and slick and with an easy medium body this goes down smoooth.

Sniffably delightful...

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Had this recommended to me from a buddy I worked with who is IPA-crazy and had a growler filled from Consumer's Beverages in Orchard Park, NY. Color wasn't special until I saw it backlit in my refrigerator - it glowed ruby red and poured a red-orangey color into a pint glass with frothy head also tinged with orange. Smell was all pine and citrus, very nice and crispy smelling as was the taste up front. After a couple of seconds, the bitterness kicked in and it left a very hoppy afterpresence in the mouth. Beer was unfiltered and chewy, I would have liked a little more malt presence, but it went down nicely. Except for the hop dragon breath afterwards, this is an exceptional beer. Very tasty, an excellently representative American IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Almost like orange juice. Really amber - orange. Some sediment & stuff floating around. Had a good head, slightly off white and yellowish.

S - Nice and citrus! Floral bits. Really hoppy. Not overly sweet. Not super huge, but a big enough aroma that you definitely notice it with your sip.

T - Lots of hops! Mostly citrus hops, and some dry hops, piney hops. Some hops seem too sit at the back of your throat. Big variety of hops here sending your hop sense in every direction

M - med-light body. Not too much carbonation.

D - Yummy! Good hops and citrus. Not too harsh of alcohol taste. kinda wish I got it a lil colder before I poured it since it had been sitting out since I brought it home this evening.

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In a pint glass, pours a rich copper-amber color with a half inch head. This dissipates quickly but clings to the surface, and the glass. Excellent lacing.

Very notable hops on the nose. Initial pine and citrus scents off the head segued to a more floral presence as the head dissipated. A quick swirl and you're back to the woods.

Tastes of rich hops as evidenced by the smell. Initial bitterness becomes more balanced as the beer warms, yielding a slight sweet malty finish that was less apparent initially. Mouthfeel also improves after a few minutes of air time to allow the carbonation to come into balance. Very nice.

Quite drinkable for a hoppy IPA, abv well disguised behind a tangy, slightly sweet finish.

Edit: My review is for the classic West Coast IPA, a roughly 7% beer. If a brewer changes the recipe then they should change the name of the beer. Bad form Green Flash, extremely bad form...07/14

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

notes from my time at hollingshead

Poured in a pint glass. 1 1/4 finger of good head with a cloudy yellow color. Nice retention that sticks around for a while.

Citrusy hops come out and tell the nose how this beer will taste. The nose is a very good indicator of how this ber will taste. Not in your face with the hop aroma, but it is enticing nevertheless.

Taste is perfect balanced with a nice pale malt upfront that is overtaken by an assertive citrusy hop bitterness. Centennial and cascade?

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. The beer clings the palate well and isn't heavy at all which helps make for one of the most drinkable ipas that I've ever had. This is a very nice beer.

4.59/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Copper-bronze with plenty of floaties; off-white head, decent retention, nice lace.

S: Huge grapefruit & pine aroma, with apricot, tangerine, cannabis & cotton-candy fruity esters. Awesome.

T: Flavour is dominated by hops, with a pleasant depth (pine, grapefruit, tangerine); toffee with subtle hints of quality pale malt; assertive, yet somewhat smooth bitterness.

M: Moderate body is nicely attenuated with plenty of hop acidity.

D: Very drinkable for its strength (assuming you love hops).

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Yowza, a 7% West Coast IPA that struck gold in San Diego last month? Ok, don't twist my arm.

Dumped into my Sam Adams glass, this beer is a beaut. Clear, but with a few little particles bobbing around, the lush orange-amber sit pretty and is capped by a fat off-white head that is about 4cm tall. The head fades down to about a quarter of that, but never completely dies, while leaving sticky lace residue down the sides. Quite appealing.

In true West-side style, this is a citrus hop bomb. Aggressive and acidic, the huge grapefruit and citrus-soaked pine comes through loud and clear. There's a malty, caramel smell buried under the leafy hops, but it's certainly an afterthought. The sweetness gets a little bolder as the brew warms. Intense and very aromatic, this one is...

Flavor is again quite intense, a hop-rush of the highest order. I submit that this really pushes the limits of the style Bitter, cleansing, harsh grapefruit and twangy pine mingle with a honeyed sweetness that gasps as it tries to keep up with its larger, hoppier brother.

This would be an easy drink, if not for the eye-opening bitterness. There's no denying this is a hefty IPA, but the sheer hoppiness and alcohol work against it as a session beer. It's very close to Double IPA land, really.

If bold, loud American IPAs are your thing, you should seek out Green Flash.

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%

I bought a case of this on a whim. Freshness date was new and I read good things about it on BA.
Poured into a pint glass:
A. Sunshine/amber color with a nice cloud like puffy head.The head lasts throughout the beer while lace sticks to the glass.
S. Smells of citrusy hops.grassy,pine,and hops.
T. Aggressive hops upfront with grapefruit rind and a little bit of lemon.As it finishes I taste the malts with a hoppy after taste.
M. Oily,creamy,thick and sticky.
D. This is definiteley a sipper.The taste lingers on and on.I can only drink this I.P.A by itself.It overwhelms the palate.But I like it that way.

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz bottle purchased from Bauer Wines in Boston. $14 for a 6-pack - damn hop shortage. Pours a clear medium gold. Divine strong hoppy aroma. Flavour is exactly what you'd expect - in a good way. Strong, warming, hoppy and bitter. More please, thank you, yum yum.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours amber with a fuzzy white head that laces well. The aroma is of hops,citrus/lemon with fruits and light malt notes. The taste is sweet,piny,hops,grapefruit and alcohol. The feel is bitter hops with moderate carbonation and a stinging bitterness.

Notes: This is a good beer,but even for a hop lover like myself I needed to accept the bitterness that this brew provided. It is what it is and I would buy this again. This is not for session so I would enjoy it from time to time and when I am in the mood for something crazy with hops abound and bitterness that lasts. Perhaps with a Thai cuisine?

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a deep orangy amber which is slightly cloudy. The head is slightly off white looking pretty chunky and sticking well so far as it slowly comes down.

The smell is fruity hops, dripping wet with grapfruit citrus, pineapple and floral hop aromas dominate. I can't wait to taste this thing.

Sweet grapefruit flavors are followed by some pine and bitterness. The first sip is quite bitter in the aftertaste. Sip number two is the same grapefruit pith flavors dominate th finish. Hophead delight. Hop oils pretty much coat the tongue. As it warms either my taste buds are acclamated to the bitterness or the sweetness balances it a bit more. Well, balance isn't really what happens, it just maybe brings it down a notch. The hops never give way.

Appearance note: solid rings of lace down the glas.

Mouthfeel was medium. For 7% it was a bit lighter than expected. Carbonation was fine.

Drinkability. Yes. Bitterness could wear on me after a while. One was enough hops for me.

A great IPA. For a single IPA, I believe this had more bitterness than any I am used to. The pineapple grapfruit flavors were still amaing through. Overall a great IPA.

I would love this with anything spicy.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A- A beautiful, cloudy, coppery orange with a nice white head and good retention.

S- Pine, orange rind, grapefruit and carmely malt. Sweet and aromatic with some depth to it.

T- Sweeter than most IPA's. Flavors are the same as the aroma with some noticeable alcohol.

M- Creamy and dry with the bitterness being very noticeable.

D- A very good American IPA. Highly recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Golden, some fine sediment floating around. White, creamy head.

S: Pine / evergreen... a little citrus, but primarly pine

T: Very bitter, evergreen flavours right off the tip of the tongue, though it milds a bit. Quite a hopfest going on here.

M + D: Nice carbonation, and a decent medium body... drinks pretty easily, though it could get a little strong after a while

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.