Follow our progress ...

West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,843 | Ratings: 7,723
4.15/5  rDev -1%

Beer pours a deep orange color, definitely unfiltered with yeast and some small bits of hop. Good head dissipates to nice lace. Pretty. Smell is big grassy, juicy, citrus hops, floral, piney. Wow, obviously a combination of hops here, there's so much going on.

Taste is very bitter even for an IPA, this is creeping towards double IPA territory, there's a little grain and malt to back up the hops, but this is a lupulin showcase, and all the flavors I smelled are on the palate as well.

Mouthfell is good, slightly dry. Drinkability is quite good considering its bitterness. This is a pretty awesome IPA, I'm glad we're getting Green Flash in Arizona.

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Growler filled at the Finger Lakes Beverage center in Ithaca. Enjoyed several pints. Pours a slightly hazy light orange with frothy white head and lots of lacing. Heavy citrus hop aroma and taste to match with hints of grapefruit. Sweet in the middle with a nice dry finish. Very typical west coast example of this style. Medium body with great drinkability.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Green Flash-Stellar Name ,Green Flash-Stellar Beer!
15$ a sixer, not cheap but well worth it.
Kinda murky,deep golden amber-Beauty
I think a truck of grapefruit just got in a wreck outside-nevermind just me opening a brew!
Nectar of the Gods- Great Taste
Outstanding Mouthfeel-hard to beat this!
Poundability is an 11 on a 1 to 10 scale,Excellent!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow!

From a stout "Sierra Nevada Style" 12oz bottle to my Trafalgar Bewing Company pint glass... this beer had me at hello.

The sweet smell of grapefruit doesn't really wait to be introduced, but instead extends his hand and introduces himself... and he's bold. "How you doin'? I'm pungent." Yep. It's great.

The color is an amber - like a nice wave of grain.

The off white bubbly 1/4 inch thick head stuck around for the entire glass. It even left residue on the sides of the glass as you drink. Clinging on for dear life, showing you that he don't go down easy... but oh.. the nectar does - if you're into "extravagantly hopped" superbly bitter beers.

this one was bitter going down... and had a great mouthfeel. If I could... the West Coast IPA would get a 7 out of 5 for mouthfeel. It's that good.

5's all around... except drinkability... just a few of these please... then let me see if I can talk to God to find something better...

I'd like to try this and the Lagunitas IPA next to eachother... that would be like The Hulk vs. Spider Man...

Green Flash... you've done it. Great Job!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into my New Belgium Globe....I cannot find a bottle date but I grabbed a four pack right when they were coming off the truck...

pours sort of a burnt orange, clear, with a one finger cream head that fades reletively quickly..decent lacing..nice looking...

it seems to be fresh fromt he termendous hop aroma I get..fruity,pine, a tiny bit of grass, very nice

taste is solid. upfront hoppiness.Grapefruit and pine, bitterness almost the while way with a signifgant linger..this kind is what I love about ipas..

mouthfeel is again, solid, subtantial and a bit creamy..

overall I loved this beer..probably could only drink no more than two in a sitting...but a good brew....

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Body is relatively clear, copper in color, with a spotty off-white head that leaves sticky lacing. Head is not much to speak of in itself.

S - As Keanu Reeves would say.. whooooaaa. There are so many aromas goin on I'm not sure which to pick out immediately... Caramel and pine, toffee, pomelo... lots going on here, and it all smells like something I want to make a cologne out of.

T - Hops are more pronounced than the nose, pine, cedar and earth dominate. Citrus undertones are there, but fruity flavors are minute. Balanced well by the light caramel and toffee that I picked up on the nose

M - Pretty thick and easy on carbonation

O - Pretty delicious beer that is so much more than a straightforward hop-bomb.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a very hoppy, pine and citrus loaded brew. This beer pours and orangy/amber hue. The taste are of grapefruit, pine and citra. There is no best before or brew date. This brew was given to me from a friend that came down from PA and this beer was stil fresh. Very good brew and would easily grab a six pack anytime.

Cheers

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Served on tap at Jerry's in Wicker Park.

I've been looking forward to trying this fresh, and definitely had it fresh yesterday. Looks the part of an American IPA: medium rust colored. Smells weedy, and a bit of citrus blend as well. This guy is a true hop monster. I don' recall having another beer that is quite so hop forward. Very little malt to balance, which is just fine with me. There is a lingering bitterness, leaving that grapefruit rind taste behind. If you are not afraid of a true "palate scorcher", seek this out...pronto!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Green Flash West Coast IPA is a delicious, bitter, fruity IPA with strong aromatic citrus flavors. I'd compare this beer to the Firestone Union jack in that it has a deeply enjoyable bitterness balanced well with mainly grapefruit and other citrus. At 7.3 percent alcohol, the west coast IPA is a beer you could drink more than one at a time, and at about $8-9 for a 4 pack, it won't break the bank. Overall, a surprisingly enjoyable beer and another standout California IPA.

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was good/great IPA with great west coast hop head aromas and a bitter pine forward taste. The pour was dark amber orange clear with carbonation heavy bubble throughout. The smell was very good. Pine resin and that fantastic hoppy citrus I expected. The taste was very bitter forward, piney and malt and caramel were there. The citrus I expected just wasn't quite there but for those loving the hoppy bitter IPA with more malt note this would hit the spot. Mouthfeel was dry and slightly sour after drinking. Almost a hoppy farmhouse ale feel.
This was overall a good beer, not quite as fruit and citrus as others but still a good IPA for the bitter lovers

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

Apperance- Cloudy copper color, with a decent head and good lacing.

Smell- Big hop smell with other scents poking through, cant decipher them all yet.

Taste,Mouthfeel- Heavily hopped beer, not very well balanced, you could taste the alcohol and the malt is quite weak compared to the hops. Medium bodied and medium carb.

Drinkability- Its a good tasty IPA, a little unbalanced for my tastes but some like that in a beer.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

Poured into a Victory Pint Glass

A- Deep golden bronze color with orange hues. Quite hazy, with a thick one-finger seafoam-like head. Excellent retention- thickest foamly lace I've ever noted.

S- Nice hoppy notes of citrus, light pine, grapefruit, bread- and faint nip of toffee.

T- Full smack of hops- a bitter edge that wraps around the middle of the tongue from front to finish. Much of the hop characters in the smell don't present themselves in the taste, as the bitter edge is overpowering.

M- Full body, light fizz.

O- Wow, this brew is an enigma to me. Heard wonderful things about it, and I love IPAs- but there was something about the fullness of the bitter edge here that just took away from all of the other attributes I expect in this style. Did I get a bad bottle? Who knows, but I did find myself saying "wow" after each sip- more so in disappointment.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

This is a nice representation of an American IPA. Everything that you would expect from the style.

Pours a deep gold with nice white head.

Smell is of aggressive hops. Citrus is the dominant aroma. Hops, hops and more hops.

Taste is exactly what you would think you would get from the nose. Very aggressive citrus. Bitterness is immediate. Lots of citrus with subtle pine. Nice IPA. Hoppiness lingers.

A: Clear; amber color with reddish highlights; foamy head
S: Grapefruit, candy shell (candy sugar), dank, wet dog
M: Medium body, smooth, almost creamy
T: Strongly bitter, notes of fruit rind, dank. I thought it tasted like a cross between Bear Republic's Racer 5 and Ballast Point's Sculpin

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%

I bought a case of this on a whim. Freshness date was new and I read good things about it on BA.
Poured into a pint glass:
A. Sunshine/amber color with a nice cloud like puffy head.The head lasts throughout the beer while lace sticks to the glass.
S. Smells of citrusy hops.grassy,pine,and hops.
T. Aggressive hops upfront with grapefruit rind and a little bit of lemon.As it finishes I taste the malts with a hoppy after taste.
M. Oily,creamy,thick and sticky.
D. This is definiteley a sipper.The taste lingers on and on.I can only drink this I.P.A by itself.It overwhelms the palate.But I like it that way.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

On the label it says " taste it once remember it forever, that is the truth. Anytime I can get this I invest wisely and get a minimum of a case. This is the IPA that created the west coast -hi ibu palette- that I now can't escape from. I never look into my cooler with anything less than satisfaction when I have the west coast Ipa in it.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a deep golden color with a nice, rocky 2 finger head. Lots of lacing. Bottled on 5-21-12.

Aroma of citrus, pine and a little sweetness.

Big hop flavor. Citrus followed by some tropical fruit and a little sweetness from a solid malt backbone. Finishes with a lingering pine bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium and a little oily from the hops. Carbonation is good.

Very solid IPA, glad this one is in Georgia now.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

feel of a pale, smell of a flowerpatch, great lacing atop a copper-gold body, residual bitterness, big pine, big citrus. BOOM. This is west coast IPA, it is drinkable, it is formidable, it is massively flavorful- fruity and strong. But it is balanced.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a large tulip

A- Pours a straw golden color slight haze. Big white fluffy head and disappears to a thin covering that laces the glass nicely.

S- Notes of mild pine and light citrus. Wasn't as pungent as I was expect. Still very nice and clean.

T- Pine and resin upfront light fruit on the finish. Crisp clean malt profile

M- light body strong carbonation, medium bitter hop finish.

0- great hop forward ipa. The drinkability makes it a will buy again for those hot summer days.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a Orange gold like color with a good solid head. Slightly hazy but still translucent (personally I like most beers with a little haze). The aroma is everything you could want from an IPA, there's plenty of pine, citrus, and a tad bit of tropical in the mix. The taste is very reflective of this and all the hop flavors are very well balanced, and at 8% abv there is no booziness what so ever. This is now my standard for great IPAs. Nothing gimmicky or revolutionary, just everything is put together extremely well.

Scored this example for free from a beer rep, so I liked it from the beginning. Nice dark amber color with a bright white head. Sediment suspended in beer. Piney and citrusy hop smell. Sweeter blueberry-like taste upfront and then a bitter hop twist. Bitterness fades quick and begs to be tipped up again. Medium bodied and full of sharp, tingly carbonation. Very sessionable for me and an excellent year-round replacement for my favorite HopSlam.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from bottle to chalice. Purchased at Westroads in Carbondale, IL--$2.39ea

Appearance: Tea color--reddish. Off-white head that stays nicely.

Smell: Getting fruitiness, maybe some pineapple. Flowery--hoppy aroma. Not any spice at all.

Taste: Hops are perfect. Not overpowering at all, even for the stated 95ibu. Pine notes with the pineapple that come through not only in smell, but taste. Love it.

Mouthfeel: Silky. Hops that cling to the cheeks and tongue.

Overall: Great IPA. Love it a lot and would recommend.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%

10/15/10 - 4, 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5

I am so conflicted right now... On the one hand this is one of the greatest IPA's I've ever tasted. On the other, I've already had this about 6 times and wrote it off each time. I'm tempted to drop an entire letter grade for omission of a freshness date, mainly because it has prevented me from tasting the extreme glory that is this beer.

Smell is very deep into the bitterness of hops used. Definitely as piney as Pliny, perhaps veering away from the grassiness into a perfectly mild grapefruit undertone. I'm chewing needles, dog.

Look is the amberest of ambers, which decorates a peppery, sprucey taste uncompromising in its hop brutality. So bitter but so flavorful!

What happens to this beer in a couple months is unforgivable. As punishment I shall burden the drinkability score of my review with an unfavorable grade. Feel the wrath of my .1% opinion!

Still... great brew.

9/2/10 - 4, 4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5
Since having a rather poor experience with this beer, I have heard great things and was eager to give it a shot.

Fills the glass nicely with burnt orange, amber highlights and silky, solid head. Smells great too, hops and malt, all kinds of hops, but a too-sweet head that will surely linger into the mouth.

The 95 IBU's are well noted, as is the delectable variety of hops appointed to represent GFBWCIPA. Unfortunately the choice of malt is just too much for me in what should be an exceptional IPA. The bitterness factor here deserves more than an apologetic sugar finish, but that is exactly what I'm getting. Reminds me of the finish on a sub-par Belgian ale, a sticky-sweet disjointed aftertaste.

The bitterness on the other hand is really something extraordinary. Aside from a problematic undertone of lint and pennies, this palate wrecker comes on like dry wood. I can almost literally feel my mouth being attacked. My thoughts are if you like seriously bitter hops, this is the place for you. Personally, I'll stick to more user-friendly offerings.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Golden orange with pale green edges and very light foam that does reform with a swirl.

Very aggressive piney and tropical fruit aromas.

Nice biscuit malt and candied orange peel flavors and a bracing, bitter finish. Despite the edgy qualities, I could drink a lot of this beer.

What appears to be a classic West Coast style IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No freshness info. Pours a cloudy orange with two fingers of frothy foam and not a lot of carbonation. Nice lacing. Nose is quite sweet but still with a nice balance between a light malt and crisp, lively hops. Aromas of mango and orange. Full bodied and rich mouthfeel, but not syrupy. Carbo is too low. Super bitter palate! The fairly rich malt tries to cut the hopiness but, happily, to little or no avail. You can count all 95 IBUs in this one! Mostly grapefruit and pine flavors but the malt does tease out some lighter lemon zest and mango notes. It's been a while since I've had this and I don't remember liking this much but I will make a point to not go so long without having it again.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.