Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Green Flash West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,834 | Ratings: 7,694
3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

Apperance- Cloudy copper color, with a decent head and good lacing.

Smell- Big hop smell with other scents poking through, cant decipher them all yet.

Taste,Mouthfeel- Heavily hopped beer, not very well balanced, you could taste the alcohol and the malt is quite weak compared to the hops. Medium bodied and medium carb.

Drinkability- Its a good tasty IPA, a little unbalanced for my tastes but some like that in a beer.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

Poured into a Victory Pint Glass

A- Deep golden bronze color with orange hues. Quite hazy, with a thick one-finger seafoam-like head. Excellent retention- thickest foamly lace I've ever noted.

S- Nice hoppy notes of citrus, light pine, grapefruit, bread- and faint nip of toffee.

T- Full smack of hops- a bitter edge that wraps around the middle of the tongue from front to finish. Much of the hop characters in the smell don't present themselves in the taste, as the bitter edge is overpowering.

M- Full body, light fizz.

O- Wow, this brew is an enigma to me. Heard wonderful things about it, and I love IPAs- but there was something about the fullness of the bitter edge here that just took away from all of the other attributes I expect in this style. Did I get a bad bottle? Who knows, but I did find myself saying "wow" after each sip- more so in disappointment.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

This is a nice representation of an American IPA. Everything that you would expect from the style.

Pours a deep gold with nice white head.

Smell is of aggressive hops. Citrus is the dominant aroma. Hops, hops and more hops.

Taste is exactly what you would think you would get from the nose. Very aggressive citrus. Bitterness is immediate. Lots of citrus with subtle pine. Nice IPA. Hoppiness lingers.

A: Clear; amber color with reddish highlights; foamy head
S: Grapefruit, candy shell (candy sugar), dank, wet dog
M: Medium body, smooth, almost creamy
T: Strongly bitter, notes of fruit rind, dank. I thought it tasted like a cross between Bear Republic's Racer 5 and Ballast Point's Sculpin

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%

I bought a case of this on a whim. Freshness date was new and I read good things about it on BA.
Poured into a pint glass:
A. Sunshine/amber color with a nice cloud like puffy head.The head lasts throughout the beer while lace sticks to the glass.
S. Smells of citrusy hops.grassy,pine,and hops.
T. Aggressive hops upfront with grapefruit rind and a little bit of lemon.As it finishes I taste the malts with a hoppy after taste.
M. Oily,creamy,thick and sticky.
D. This is definiteley a sipper.The taste lingers on and on.I can only drink this I.P.A by itself.It overwhelms the palate.But I like it that way.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

On the label it says " taste it once remember it forever, that is the truth. Anytime I can get this I invest wisely and get a minimum of a case. This is the IPA that created the west coast -hi ibu palette- that I now can't escape from. I never look into my cooler with anything less than satisfaction when I have the west coast Ipa in it.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a deep golden color with a nice, rocky 2 finger head. Lots of lacing. Bottled on 5-21-12.

Aroma of citrus, pine and a little sweetness.

Big hop flavor. Citrus followed by some tropical fruit and a little sweetness from a solid malt backbone. Finishes with a lingering pine bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium and a little oily from the hops. Carbonation is good.

Very solid IPA, glad this one is in Georgia now.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

feel of a pale, smell of a flowerpatch, great lacing atop a copper-gold body, residual bitterness, big pine, big citrus. BOOM. This is west coast IPA, it is drinkable, it is formidable, it is massively flavorful- fruity and strong. But it is balanced.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a large tulip

A- Pours a straw golden color slight haze. Big white fluffy head and disappears to a thin covering that laces the glass nicely.

S- Notes of mild pine and light citrus. Wasn't as pungent as I was expect. Still very nice and clean.

T- Pine and resin upfront light fruit on the finish. Crisp clean malt profile

M- light body strong carbonation, medium bitter hop finish.

0- great hop forward ipa. The drinkability makes it a will buy again for those hot summer days.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a Orange gold like color with a good solid head. Slightly hazy but still translucent (personally I like most beers with a little haze). The aroma is everything you could want from an IPA, there's plenty of pine, citrus, and a tad bit of tropical in the mix. The taste is very reflective of this and all the hop flavors are very well balanced, and at 8% abv there is no booziness what so ever. This is now my standard for great IPAs. Nothing gimmicky or revolutionary, just everything is put together extremely well.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had as a 10oz draft in AZ. Very nice hoppy flavor, with a slight bitter taste @ the end. Will scoop up a six pack in the future now knowing local liquor stores have this IPA.

Scored this example for free from a beer rep, so I liked it from the beginning. Nice dark amber color with a bright white head. Sediment suspended in beer. Piney and citrusy hop smell. Sweeter blueberry-like taste upfront and then a bitter hop twist. Bitterness fades quick and begs to be tipped up again. Medium bodied and full of sharp, tingly carbonation. Very sessionable for me and an excellent year-round replacement for my favorite HopSlam.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from bottle to chalice. Purchased at Westroads in Carbondale, IL--$2.39ea

Appearance: Tea color--reddish. Off-white head that stays nicely.

Smell: Getting fruitiness, maybe some pineapple. Flowery--hoppy aroma. Not any spice at all.

Taste: Hops are perfect. Not overpowering at all, even for the stated 95ibu. Pine notes with the pineapple that come through not only in smell, but taste. Love it.

Mouthfeel: Silky. Hops that cling to the cheeks and tongue.

Overall: Great IPA. Love it a lot and would recommend.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%

10/15/10 - 4, 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5

I am so conflicted right now... On the one hand this is one of the greatest IPA's I've ever tasted. On the other, I've already had this about 6 times and wrote it off each time. I'm tempted to drop an entire letter grade for omission of a freshness date, mainly because it has prevented me from tasting the extreme glory that is this beer.

Smell is very deep into the bitterness of hops used. Definitely as piney as Pliny, perhaps veering away from the grassiness into a perfectly mild grapefruit undertone. I'm chewing needles, dog.

Look is the amberest of ambers, which decorates a peppery, sprucey taste uncompromising in its hop brutality. So bitter but so flavorful!

What happens to this beer in a couple months is unforgivable. As punishment I shall burden the drinkability score of my review with an unfavorable grade. Feel the wrath of my .1% opinion!

Still... great brew.

9/2/10 - 4, 4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5
Since having a rather poor experience with this beer, I have heard great things and was eager to give it a shot.

Fills the glass nicely with burnt orange, amber highlights and silky, solid head. Smells great too, hops and malt, all kinds of hops, but a too-sweet head that will surely linger into the mouth.

The 95 IBU's are well noted, as is the delectable variety of hops appointed to represent GFBWCIPA. Unfortunately the choice of malt is just too much for me in what should be an exceptional IPA. The bitterness factor here deserves more than an apologetic sugar finish, but that is exactly what I'm getting. Reminds me of the finish on a sub-par Belgian ale, a sticky-sweet disjointed aftertaste.

The bitterness on the other hand is really something extraordinary. Aside from a problematic undertone of lint and pennies, this palate wrecker comes on like dry wood. I can almost literally feel my mouth being attacked. My thoughts are if you like seriously bitter hops, this is the place for you. Personally, I'll stick to more user-friendly offerings.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Golden orange with pale green edges and very light foam that does reform with a swirl.

Very aggressive piney and tropical fruit aromas.

Nice biscuit malt and candied orange peel flavors and a bracing, bitter finish. Despite the edgy qualities, I could drink a lot of this beer.

What appears to be a classic West Coast style IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No freshness info. Pours a cloudy orange with two fingers of frothy foam and not a lot of carbonation. Nice lacing. Nose is quite sweet but still with a nice balance between a light malt and crisp, lively hops. Aromas of mango and orange. Full bodied and rich mouthfeel, but not syrupy. Carbo is too low. Super bitter palate! The fairly rich malt tries to cut the hopiness but, happily, to little or no avail. You can count all 95 IBUs in this one! Mostly grapefruit and pine flavors but the malt does tease out some lighter lemon zest and mango notes. It's been a while since I've had this and I don't remember liking this much but I will make a point to not go so long without having it again.

App: A very clear, clean and crisp looking with orange hue poured initially to approx. 2 fingers of foamy white head which receeded quickly leaving some individual spots of lace.

Smell: Very noticeable citrus and hops, with a little cinnamon.

Taste: The hops punch you in the throat like a karate black belt, and the taste of grapefruit stays on the pallet for a while.

MF: Very crisp, very smooth.

OA: Very, very nice brew.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Nice burnt orange appearance, not too much head out of the bottle. Great caramel malts, with not too much bitter characteristics, but fruitier with a touch of grapefruit.

It traveled a long way to get to me so some hop character may have been lost. Or it could be as intended with a typical west coast IPA.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours an orange/copper with a thick fluffy white head. Excellent head retention. Very hazy.

S - A hoppy blast - grapefruit, pine, floral notes, caramel.

T - Citrus notes lead to hop bitterness and a dry finish. Carmel and spice noticeable. A big malt backbone but very, very bitter overall - a definite hop-bomb. Leaves a very bitter aftertaste with a slightly unpleasant flavor that I can't put my finger on...perhaps soapy?

M - Medium body, low carbonation.

D - Good flavor, but aftertaste and thickness knock it down a bit.

A very solid hopped-up West Coast IPA...worth a shot if you're in the hop mood.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. No date, but I'm sure it's pretty fresh because it came in one of those newfangled 4 packs.

A- 2 1/2 finger off white head. Beer was clear dark orange/copper. Nice thick lacing as I was drinking it and a good bit left behind after the beer was gone.

S- Great smell. Citrus mostly with some really nice sweet tropical fruit notes.

T- Nice strong citrusy hops. Pine as well, but it's not as strong as the sweet citrus flavors. The hops mellow out rather quickly which gives the malt backbone a chance to be tasted. Long lingering mild bitter finish with citrusy burps.

M- Medium bodied, but not oily or mouth coating to any real degree.

D- Gooood, goood. This is a superb IPA that begs to be drunk. Great hop flavor with just a hint of the malt backbone to add balance. Strong flavor that tastes almost like a double, but not overly bitter or palette wrecking. I would definitely pick this up again when I know it's fresh.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Green Flash West Coast IPA is the brew that turned me onto IPA's.
It pours into a glass a deep copper, and it's head foams nicely.
This IPA has a crisp and clean smell with hints of pine.
The taste is strong, and refreshing. The ABV is on point!
Overall, this is one of the best American IPA's brewed in the west Coast.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

My new favorite DIPA.. where to start this beer really rolled out the red carpet for hops! The pour was smooth with a minimal effort head with great retention and sticky lacing the color is almost tinted ruby red the head also slightly tinted ruby red the smell was a citrusy and highly floral thanks to those cascade hops the taste was smooth citrus with layered pine into a comfortable bitter peace the alcohol is so well hidden when cold but dont let the smooth taste fool you! The alcohol will punch you in the mouth when warm but it's refreshing.. Pretty amazed by this beer don't let that simple label fool you this modest beast will take your taste buds for a ride... West Coast IPA

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to fellow BA kolch for this one!

Pours a beautiful burnt orange color. Carefull though, even after I was warned, I was too excited to pour this brew and had a bunch of yeast sediment floating around. Hardly a problem though, and just of of the slight drawbacks to bottle conditioned brews.

Smell: If I were standing in a field of Hops, I would imagine it would smell like this brew. Amazing. Almost made me think the beer itself was a hop cone and I just wanted to take a bite!

Taste: In the words of Borat, "Wowawow-wee-wow!" Say goodbye to your tastebuds after tilting one of these back. It's really unfair to any other brew you might try after this- the hop taste is amazing and powerfull.

Mouthfeel: This might offend some people, but a way I judge the mouthfeel of a good IPA is the burp that follows it. And even the burp with this beer tastes good!

Drinkability: Oh hell yes. This one is easily drinkable. Hands down one of my favorite IPA's I've had to date.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at EJ Phair in Concord, CA.

Poors a brilliant orange with 1/2 inch of foam. Smells of PUNGENT pine that sticks in your nose and coats your nostrils. Tastes of thick pine resin and grapefruit. It's catty, thick and sappy. This is no session beer, but it highlights the West Coast hops nicely. Brilliant Beer, but it's a sipper.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

I first has this beer at a bonfire with some hop-head friends and was blown away by the hop intensity... It literally felt as if I had started chewing some hops (any homebrewer knows what I'm talking about)

After that night, I poured the beer in a glass as I sat down to watch a movie with my family, and to my surprise, the beer pours a cloudy, almost milky red-orange.... VERY unfiltered... but that is the beauty of this beer, it is rough around the edges in appearance, but hidden in the clouds of hop particulate there lies a deep complexity of flavor.

The aroma of this beer is did not really jump out at me, I'm a hop head, and I've smelled it before... , it is slightly sweet, floral, piney, reminiscent of many other IPAs that I've had the privilege of sampling.

The taste is really where this beer shines... This beer has multiple levels of hop flavor.... the bitterness rolls over the tongue with notes of pine, juniper, grapefruit, and very tangy flowers... each set of tastebuds finds something in the intense bitterness of this beer. The flavors linger much much longer than a normal IPA due to the lack of filtration. It is slightly oily, almost buttery... tasting somehow like lightly brined olives... try this beer with olives, good European olives. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is great too... despite the particulate, this beer does not feel gritty or too thick.

This beer only suffers in drinkability if you don't like hops. Even the 7% abv mark seems appropriate. This beer is very refreshing, The hops wake up your senses, but again, BEWARE IF YOU DON"T LIKE HOPS.

An exceptional beer. A tribute to the style

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.