Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,239 | Reviews: 1,846
4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this a few days ago out in California. I brought a six pack back with me.

A - Copper/orange with golden edges. Good head and good lacing for the duration of the beer, but not the best I've ever seen.

S - Rocks! God, this is a nice west coast hoppy aroma. Some candied grapefruit, pine/evergreen, and a hint of pineapple. I'd stick my nose in this for a long time!

T - A bit more subdued than the nose. Still, quite forward with the hops. Yum. Very bright, pretty citrusy, but there's still some toasted pale malts and a hint of caramel for balance. Very clean.

M - Medium body. Low to moderate carbonation. Again, clean, and tightly wound (hope this isn't too wine-specific a term). Crisp.

D - I want more! This is super tasty, goes down easily, and is very refreshing. Good sessionability, and also really makes me want to go back for more.

4.74/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - good head an retention. A bit hazy.

Smell - amazing!!!! Orange and grapefruit notes. I definitely smell Citra hops. Big, aggressive dry hop. Doesn't smell much better than this in the IPA world.

Taste - also exemplary! barely-there malt backbone that has a little caramel note but is mostly american Pale ale malt or 2 row. The hoppiness is definitely the main event but is least prominent in the middle. Still very hoppy and once again, It doesn't get much better than this.

Finish - Almost as good as aromas and better than the middle. Dank and sticky but still citrusy.

Overall - this is one of the best IPAs I've ever had and, as far as I'm concerned, it is a benchmark for it's style. IPA is my everyday style and the only one I consider myself knowledgeable in and this is world-class, without question.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

I bought a six pack of this beer because I heard that it was a good IPA.

A. Poured into and Anchor Steam pint glass. It was a copper type color. Almost orange. Good thick head and nice lacing.

S. Insanely hoppy smell. Lots of pine notes. Probably the best part of the beer.

T. Intense flavor. The hops reach out and punch you in the face on this one. Also had your typical citrus flavors but the malt dissapears behind al those damn hops.

M. I like the carbonation. Perfect amount. Nice oily hop bitterness as well.

D. The drinkability was just so so. Too many of these might give you blisters in your mouth from the burning hops.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Best by: Unknown, as for some reason it was not printed on the label. Drank 11.11.14. Poured into a 12oz strange from a bomber.

A: Beautiful dark copper with next to zero visible carbonation. One and a half fingers of crackley, thick head, light khaki coloring, copious lacing with lasting retention. Eventually fades to a few thick islands.

S: Bouquet of hops... little bit of everything here. Grapefruit, mango, dank pine, lemon zest, a load of wildflowers, and malty caramel sweetness. Well composed, aromas blend extremely well.

T: Sweet and grassy. Very floral to start until the hops roll in and sweet bitterness sets in. This bomber might have tempered a touch as it was approximately 3 months old, as it was fairly well balanced for a big west coast DIPA. Big hops of course, but a significant amount of malt to mellow things out.

M: Quite resinous, leaves a slick of hop oil in its wake and doesn;t quite let up. The lingering bitterness is pleasant, not overwhelming in the least. Medium body, light carbonation, chewy in the mouth, no trace of alcohol whatsoever.

O: A well crafted DIPA, not one that makes me want to scream from the mountain tops extolling its virtues, but one that I will gladly have again. All kids of hoppy, without the palate scorch of other IPAs from the left coast.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've never in my life had a better balanced IPA. Nice piney, resiny IPA with no overly dominant flavor. Goes down smoother than a slab of butter down a hippopotamus' back. I am pretty amazed by this one.

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

I was very excited to try this beer and even my first impressions were good. Apparently, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Appearance was nice. A golden rust color with a nice light foam head.

Smell was great. Very lush and green with plenty of sweet citrus.

Taste was nice too....until I swallowed and the harsh reality hit home. Up front it was a nice lush experience with plenty of citrus and pine but upon swallowing, that all disappeared and true the serious biterness presented itself. It seemed that this has no real malt backbone to balance out the hops.

Mouthfeel was just about what I expected but the harshness lowers the drinkability somewhat, at least for me.

I know this beer is very highly regarded and I generally liked it but based on the buzz surrounding it, I was expecting something more like Two Hearted.

I'll be happy to try it again in the future but I probably won't mbe seeking out another bottle any time soon.

On tap at Sandbar SB. Pretty solid overall, a bit lacking in the finish. I'm satisfied though.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

From 12oz bottle poured into Pint glass.

A- Hazy amber color with lots of small bubbles running to the top. One finger head disipates quickly. Nice lacing throughout.

S- Pines, fruit, and hint of alcohol.

T- Citrusy, hoppy. Oh, very hoppy. Alcohol well hidden. Very nice, especially on a hot day.

M- Rather thick and carbonated. Nice.

D- Exceptional. Could drink this one all day. Come to think of it, I will.
Cheers,
Scott

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Great IPA!

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%

Thank you germaniac for this one!
Pours a hazy copper/amber hue covered with a thin white head. Good looking beer and even better smelling. This beer has been in my fridge for at least a half a year by now and it smells incredibly fresh right out of the bottle. Floral hops jump out at you over a lightly present sweet malt.
Taste is of raw oily hops, full of fresh "green" hop flavor. This is well carbonated and lively on the tongue as the hops impart their punch.
Great IPA, once again I'm jealous I don't have access to this one more.

3.04/5  rDev -28%

14 Feb 08

Had a draft at the Toronado, San Fransisco.

A: Gold with lost of rising bubbles, thin white head.

S: Full-o-citrus, low malt & esters.

T: Med malt with huge hop flavor. All US citrus and more citrus, becoming too much. . . is that Simcoe I taste? Way out of balance. A hop hammer which can be good, but usually not great.

M: Medium body with high CO2 and prickly pallet.

D: Medium to low due to lack of balance. I wonder how the hop shortage will change this beer?

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a vibrant orange with a tight white head with nice lacing.

Citrusy hops with underlying biscuit and caramel.

Taste is caramel maltiness up front that turns grapefruity and citrusy, but then in the finish, you get a punch of bitter grass and herbal flavors that stay into the aftertaste. Very dry and refreshing.

Light medium body that is crisp and nicely carbonated.

Very refreshing, crisp, and not heavy despite the 7% abv. Extremely drinkable for the style and would be great in the upcomming summer months.

3.79/5  rDev -10.2%

12 ounce bottle, served in pint glass, purchased at Belmont Party Source in Dayton, OH.

A: Pours dark orange to amber color. Lots of head, almost 1 ½ inches on direct pour. A lot carbonation. Thick sponge like peaks of head. Good amount of lacing on the pour and a very small amount of lacing left after finishing the glass. Sign of a good malt balance.

S: Less aroma then I expected, initial hop and malt smell. Nothing very over powering or impressive about it on the initial pour. Pine and citrus notes as expected.

T: Initial malt and bitter, metallic taste followed by citrus and hop impact on the aftertaste. Very little alcohol presence, only tasted after swallow. I do not like a metallic taste in my beer, that was disappointing.

MF: Medium to thick body for a single IPA. Almost syrupy at times.

D: High APV at 7%, however I could drink a few of these in a single session. This beer is also well balanced , between the APV, the hops and the malt.

Besides Stone, this was the first experience I have had with a west coast IPA. I have to say I want to go visit California now. This beer has a good balance and just enough hops to give you a kick in the teeth when it wants to.

I really couldn't get over how much this one smelled like marijuana. I retired 10 years ago, but you can't mistake that smell. Terrific flavor. Drank in a pint glass poured from a growler. Would definitely drink again.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Considering how many hops are mixed into this, it's really freaking good.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Hazy copper...one-finger of cream colored head...leaves a thin layer for most of the beer...lacing up to the rim of the pint glass

S - I smelled the hops as I poured this beer...very piney, hop aroma...maybe a little bit of a musty smell as well...no trace of a malt balance in the smell

T - Extremely hop forward...mostly pine, but I did get some tart grapefruit...

M - Hops stick around and coat the tongue...the bitterness really catches you in the back of the throat...a little creamier than I expected

D - A little too much of a hop-bomb for me, but I think that the drinkability is pretty high

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

The color of this one is a very bright orange color with a nice inch and a half of foam that receded pretty fast and left some nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell of this one is a grassy grapefruit smell with a dash of pine.

The taste of this one is pretty hop forward with a great hop bitterness followed by the citrus and grass that was present in the nose. It was perfectly bitter in my opinion and a perfect hop fix for me.

The mouthfeel of this one was pretty carbonated and bubbly with a dryish feel.

Overall this IPA was a good one and to me it falls in the category of nice and bitter versus the crisp and refreshing less bitter IPA selections.

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Re-reviewing this since the 2nd time I drank a bottle, I didn't pour it as aggressively and had a much smaller head. I don't know if this even makes sense, but I swear I think the gigantic head hid all the hop oils and carbonation.

12 oz. bottle with no date but I'm assuming this is super fresh since it just got shipped to Tennessee yesterday.

Appearance:

1st Bottle: Pours a dark red/golden color with 4 fingers of a huge head. I guess I poured it too aggressively.

2nd Bottle: Poured very carefully this time and got about a half finger of head.

Smell:

1st Bottle: As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell huge hop notes. Pine, mango, citrus. The smell from the glass is along those lines but much more intense.

2nd Bottle: This time the aroma wasn't as intense but still along those lines.

Taste -

1st Bottle: Very nice. Not as intense as the smell but still the same flavors in general. Hoppy but not overpowering. Has a nice malt backbone to it.

2nd bottle: Actually way more intense than the smell. The smell is actually much more muted than the flavor. Usually it's the other way around for most beers. VERY hoppy flavor. Mostly pine and just super bitter.

Mouthfeel:

1st Bottle: Creamy but my only complaint is that it is slightly watery.

2nd Bottle: Very nice carbonation and not watery at all.

Overall: Great IPA. First bottle didn't blow me away but the 2nd time when I poured it carefully, the flavors really came out and didn't get trapped in the head. I never thought a pour would make this much of a difference but it made this beer much better. Maybe I'm just crazy.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bottle into my pint glass. Huge foamy head that lingers leaving a loose lacing. Beautiful clear amber beer.
Smell is deep in hops, piney, citrusy, floral notes.
Taste is a great example of hops usage. Too many Pales and IPAs are one dimensional in hops taste. This bad boy really jumps around. I get grapefruit and lemon zest. I get some dry finish with a little biscuit and all hops after bite. Not a one trick pony as even a little malt hides up front giving some balance other than hops variety. I bet fresh from the tap this is even more fruity.
Mouthfeel is a little slick and a little heavy, but not horrible considering the 7% and low carbonation visible in my glass.
Drinkabliity is good. I could have another, especially on a cooler day.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Bottle poured into glass.

Appearance Beer is a some what clear amber color. Head is offwhite. Good lacing on glass.

Smell Citrus, Grapefruit, slight sweet malt smell but very faint.

Taste Wow the hops, the great hops. Grapefruit tasting with sweetness in the mouth. Nice simple bitterness in the finish. Let me just say I love this beer, I really think this is one of the best beers in a bottle I have ever had. I just love the hops and tangy flavor of this beer with the slight sweetness and bitter finish. This is a hop head beer.

Mouthful The array of different flavors and textures make this superb for the mouth. Feed me feed me.

Drinkability: My goodness I could drink this stuff all day and not try any other beer. Just love this stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Green Flash does it again! From the double imperial stout all the way to the other end of the spectrum... Green Flash is one of my favorite brewers! However, if you don't like hops, you might want to stay away from this one!!!

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Taken from notes. Consumed on 10-7-08

A: Medium amber, 1 finger off-white head. Good head retention. Slightly hazy. Nice sticky lacing.

S: Grapefruit, pine, sweet malts. Very nice.

T: Grapefruit, citrus hops. Very bitter with a nice malt backbone. Bitter throughout. Malt mostly in the back. Could be more balanced in my view.

M: Slightly thick. Coats mouth nicely. Overall, very good.

D: Smooth, slightly unbalanced. Goes down well. Very solid brew.

poured from a bottle to a clear pint glass: yields a fluffy 2-finger head with hangs around, and then reduces to a thin layer of foam. the body is a nice light amber color that is cloudy and has sediment kicking around in it. lacing hangs around the glass.

ah, west coast IPA... pine... citrus (aka grapefruit)... and all around pungent. nice.

the taste is very similar to the smell as one might know. upfront hops try to yield to some maltiness, but then is simply smashed into the ground by more hops. more than enough bitterness in this sticky IPA, with the aforementioned aroma qualities of pine, citrus, earth, and all around bitter / pungent flavors. dry, but not super-dry. it's good... if you like the hops!

medium-light body, and a bit slick and oily from all those hops. the bitterness is enhanced by the prickling carbonation.

very drinkable... but only if you like this 95 ibu type of beer. i can have more than one, but could i have say, a malty lager after this? probably not. ok, i could but i don't think i'd taste much of it. this is another "sandpaper the tongue" type beer... which is fine with me!

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks Remilamy for this bottle from your trip to the "West Coast".

A - Darker than expected but not too dark for style. 2 finger head with good scattered lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles.
S - Grassy hops, lots of aroma hops.
T - Piney up front. Thin malt bill, but good. Some follow up skunkiness with some alcohol.
M - Good heavy carbonation, but good be a bit thicker with malting.
D - Thinner than Maharaja so you could get down a little more.

I'd almost call this a double IPA. Over 7% with almost 100 IBU's. But I guess "West Coast" IPA implies the 'double'.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

WOW !!.... This brewery has done it again.... This is truly an amazing I.P.A... Everything you want as a "hop-head".... As I pour a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, a nice healthy head forms over a hazy dark orange/amber colored brew....

I take a whiff, and scents of deep sour citrus hit the nose initially.... Like that of grapefruit, lemon, and orange.... There's also malty caramel notes to it....

I sip on it awhile, and I get an upfront super hoppy flavor followed by grapefruit, orange, and a some bitterness....

I'd say it's a medium to full bodied brew that's quite dry on the finish, but what more would you expect from a wonderful I.P.A...

Overall, I must say (as a hop-head) that the Green Flash Brewery continues to impress.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.