Join our email list →

Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.10% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,820 | Hads: 7,570
4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. No date, but I'm sure it's pretty fresh because it came in one of those newfangled 4 packs.

A- 2 1/2 finger off white head. Beer was clear dark orange/copper. Nice thick lacing as I was drinking it and a good bit left behind after the beer was gone.

S- Great smell. Citrus mostly with some really nice sweet tropical fruit notes.

T- Nice strong citrusy hops. Pine as well, but it's not as strong as the sweet citrus flavors. The hops mellow out rather quickly which gives the malt backbone a chance to be tasted. Long lingering mild bitter finish with citrusy burps.

M- Medium bodied, but not oily or mouth coating to any real degree.

D- Gooood, goood. This is a superb IPA that begs to be drunk. Great hop flavor with just a hint of the malt backbone to add balance. Strong flavor that tastes almost like a double, but not overly bitter or palette wrecking. I would definitely pick this up again when I know it's fresh.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Green Flash West Coast IPA is the brew that turned me onto IPA's.
It pours into a glass a deep copper, and it's head foams nicely.
This IPA has a crisp and clean smell with hints of pine.
The taste is strong, and refreshing. The ABV is on point!
Overall, this is one of the best American IPA's brewed in the west Coast.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to fellow BA kolch for this one!

Pours a beautiful burnt orange color. Carefull though, even after I was warned, I was too excited to pour this brew and had a bunch of yeast sediment floating around. Hardly a problem though, and just of of the slight drawbacks to bottle conditioned brews.

Smell: If I were standing in a field of Hops, I would imagine it would smell like this brew. Amazing. Almost made me think the beer itself was a hop cone and I just wanted to take a bite!

Taste: In the words of Borat, "Wowawow-wee-wow!" Say goodbye to your tastebuds after tilting one of these back. It's really unfair to any other brew you might try after this- the hop taste is amazing and powerfull.

Mouthfeel: This might offend some people, but a way I judge the mouthfeel of a good IPA is the burp that follows it. And even the burp with this beer tastes good!

Drinkability: Oh hell yes. This one is easily drinkable. Hands down one of my favorite IPA's I've had to date.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at EJ Phair in Concord, CA.

Poors a brilliant orange with 1/2 inch of foam. Smells of PUNGENT pine that sticks in your nose and coats your nostrils. Tastes of thick pine resin and grapefruit. It's catty, thick and sappy. This is no session beer, but it highlights the West Coast hops nicely. Brilliant Beer, but it's a sipper.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

I first has this beer at a bonfire with some hop-head friends and was blown away by the hop intensity... It literally felt as if I had started chewing some hops (any homebrewer knows what I'm talking about)

After that night, I poured the beer in a glass as I sat down to watch a movie with my family, and to my surprise, the beer pours a cloudy, almost milky red-orange.... VERY unfiltered... but that is the beauty of this beer, it is rough around the edges in appearance, but hidden in the clouds of hop particulate there lies a deep complexity of flavor.

The aroma of this beer is did not really jump out at me, I'm a hop head, and I've smelled it before... , it is slightly sweet, floral, piney, reminiscent of many other IPAs that I've had the privilege of sampling.

The taste is really where this beer shines... This beer has multiple levels of hop flavor.... the bitterness rolls over the tongue with notes of pine, juniper, grapefruit, and very tangy flowers... each set of tastebuds finds something in the intense bitterness of this beer. The flavors linger much much longer than a normal IPA due to the lack of filtration. It is slightly oily, almost buttery... tasting somehow like lightly brined olives... try this beer with olives, good European olives. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is great too... despite the particulate, this beer does not feel gritty or too thick.

This beer only suffers in drinkability if you don't like hops. Even the 7% abv mark seems appropriate. This beer is very refreshing, The hops wake up your senses, but again, BEWARE IF YOU DON"T LIKE HOPS.

An exceptional beer. A tribute to the style

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sierra Nevada tumbler.

Pours a cloudy amber-orange with a thin white head. Decent lacing.

Hops dominate the nose. Smells like a good mix between fruity and piney (which in my case means more fruit than pine). The fruit aroma is mostly grapefruit.

Taste is very floral hops. A little bit of both the fruitiness and the pine come through, but centerstage is bitter (very bitter), floral hops. Pine comes more in the finish. Slight maltiness, but not enough to really stand out among the hops at first. As it warms up, however, the balance is better and there's some nice spice up front from the hops.

Mouthfeel is medium, though a bit sticky. The bitterness from the hops is a bit dry but it is not overwhelming. There's a good amount of carbonation, but again it is not overwhelming.

Drinkability is decent. The hoppiness could be a little better balanced with some more maltiness, but for a hop bomb it's definitely enjoyable. Could drink another, but I won't seek it out again.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. glass bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A - Deep orange amber with a foamy off-white head, sticking to the glass in a lacy pattern. There's a good deal of sediment suspended in the brew, making it quite hazy.

S - Lots of citrusy hop notes, particularly grapefruit, perhaps some mandarin orange. Sweet maltiness present in the peripherals.

T - Hops, balanced with a great malty palate. Amazingly tasty. The citrus notes from the nose are here in spades.

M - On the thin side of medium-bodied, with just a bit of carbonation. Pretty smooth.

D - One of my favorite IPAs, this is incredibly drinkable given its hop content. If you're a hop-head, this makes a great session beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Served cool in a standard pint glass. Cool looking bottle. I had heard good things about this beer and was excited to see it in central Ohio.

Appearance is a hazy amber with some floating yeast. Might be a turn-off for some but I'm OK with this. Nice cream head after pouring that remains throughout.

Smell of piney and citrusy hops. Yum. Sign of things to come.

Taste is great. Exactly what I want from an IPA. Prominent hoppiness with more of the mix of citrus, floral, and pine. Balanced out with the malt just perfectly.

Mouthfeel is a little stick. Just about right. Nice carbonation.

Pretty drinkable. The ABV is noticed only at the end. Balance makes this much more drinkable than many other IPAs I have tried. Will definitely come back to this one.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's interesting I had this offering a while back when it first came out and thought it was just ok, a rather above average ok. Having it now and much more impressed. Love the appearance of this baby. A somewhat light amber or yellow brown in color. Poured a half inch head which dissolved to a ring but the lacing hung around. The nose is a very malty sweet with hints of hops and grapefruit. I like the taste better. Begins with a malty forefront with the grapefruit hops dominating in the middle and ending the same way it began with a malty hoppy balance. The mouthfeel is a medium thick. Overall really diggin this one. Certainly will become a regular in my rotation.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A – Amber and orange in color with hints of yellow; a nice offwhite head that goes to the top of the glass; looks delectable.

S – Just a hop bomb in the nose, hoppalicious. Upon further inspection there is delightful aromas of candied grapefruit, pineapple, pine and grass in the nose. Wondrous.

T – Ah, there you are my ever-allusive perfectly hopped IPA. This is just about perfect. So much hoppiness coming at you and yet it is balanced by a slight malty sweetness that keeps this IPA honest. The grapefruit also plays a major role and makes this one hell of a refreshing beer to play along with the bitter element. So good.

M – A glorious mouthfeel that is fluffy from the carbonation, light to medium body, bitter finish.

D – So friggin drinkable, I could knock these back all night. And don’t you tempt me, I just might. Would not want to split a 4-pack with you.

O – One of my favorite IPA’s on the planet. Just so well crafted, the flavors all come together so nicely, supremely drinkable, and it’s just damn GOOD. The quality laughs with you at every sip of this hoppy masterpiece.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

A--Somewhat cloudy amber-copper with slight but long-lasting head, miniscule bubbles.

S--Oh what a beautiful, harmonious cornucopia of ingredients--a wonderful, natural fruitiness as well as earthy, pungent and floral; seems to come from both malts and hops.

T--Wow, just wow. Taste follows nose--variety of hops dance around the malts in a way that the malts have an almost whiskey character to the fruit--beer is nice and bitter on the back of the tongue, but is also explosively flavorful throughout the palate much like a high-quality spirit. Perfect example of a balanced yet hop-dominant beer.

M-feel--Complex in the best way.

Overall--A masterpiece. Seems to bring out what's best in several standard hops AND malts all at the same time in ways that few breweries have accomplished.

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%

Beautiful amber color with very low amount of head. A slight, hoppy and fruity smell with a touch of sweetness. Taste is very hoppy (even for an IPA), but with a very pleasant and surprising citrus undertone. Slightly sweet but not overly so, I found this to be very unique. After drinking the entire glass, it may be a little overly hoppy/spicy, but nevertheless an excellent IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
no freshness dating to be found anywhere on bottle or packaging. Drives me nuts...

A: Light amber/orange tinge to this brew - somewhat hazy with a standard half inch head, which is bright white and extra soapy. Tight little bubbles in the lace, nice streaking down the glass.

S: Pungent. Sticky, wet grassy pine notes and floral hops dominate. Some citrus hops present. Surprisingly nice undercurrent of caramel malt sweetness. Also you can smell the bitterness this ipa is waiting to smack you with.

T: Not the hop bomb I expected, however a nicely appointed ipa. Floral and pine hops stick out, and a nice malty sweetness helps alleviate some of the lashing the hefty bitterness of this beer provided. Overall, a very sturdy brew.

M: Medium full, a bit oily and resinous.

D: Went down fast, interesting beer. Glad I grabbed a sixer.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

My new favorite DIPA.. where to start this beer really rolled out the red carpet for hops! The pour was smooth with a minimal effort head with great retention and sticky lacing the color is almost tinted ruby red the head also slightly tinted ruby red the smell was a citrusy and highly floral thanks to those cascade hops the taste was smooth citrus with layered pine into a comfortable bitter peace the alcohol is so well hidden when cold but dont let the smooth taste fool you! The alcohol will punch you in the mouth when warm but it's refreshing.. Pretty amazed by this beer don't let that simple label fool you this modest beast will take your taste buds for a ride... West Coast IPA

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Served on tap into a standard pint glass.

A - Slightly hazy, golden, copper color. Steady stream of carbonation up the side of the glass. Only a slight skim of white foam on top, but it leaves a lot of very fine white lace in its path.

S/T - Strong floral and citrus hops aroma. The flavor follows suit, and presents a complex combination of grapefruit, pine, and peppery hops. The hops fade to leave a slightly bitter aftertaste that lingers. The malt flavor is unremarkable; this is all about the hops.

M/D - Medium bodied with very lively carbonation. Hops provide a slightly sticky feel. I would never guess 7% ABV. This is very crisp and dry, highly drinkable assuming you enjoy hops.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

A- Poured into a pint glass. Color is a deep copper. Head is a good one finger and and frothy and sticky looking. Lacing is very sticky.

S- Absolutely wonderful smell. Very fresh with pineapple and grapefruit. This is one of my favorite aspects of the style, such a good citric smell.

T- My oh my. This is one of those beers where the nose tells almost the whole story. There are some IPAs where it may smell citrusy but then you get to the taste and it can be just pure hoppy bitterness, but this beer keeps its citrus flavors even when tasting and its amazing. It has a strong bitter finish which is great but having it start with the citrus bite is a different experience. Defintely one of the best tasting IPAs.

M- Goes down just like I would like any IPA. Has a good bite and leaves me wanting more. Is there alcohol in the beer? I don't get any boozyness, just wonderful citric bitterness.

D- Yes please. Could drink this over and over and wouldn't complain. Love the fact you can buy this in 6 packs. Go get some!

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

8.1% ABV, 95 ibu.
A - clear amber (nearly brown), with finger n half finger.
S - piney really piney! caramel, toffee, little honey. zest. wood n earthy.
T - incredibly hoppy!! even more bitter than others who stated over 100ibu. hop juice juz go around the mouth, bit of alcohol n warm up the throat. malt comes late n decent.
O - if u want a really hoppy IPA, this is the one to get. but if u want a summer refreshing IPA, this probably too bold to drink.

4.82/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've never in my life had a better balanced IPA. Nice piney, resiny IPA with no overly dominant flavor. Goes down smoother than a slab of butter down a hippopotamus' back. I am pretty amazed by this one.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

This is a fantasticly well balanced single IPA. The availability for me has been scarce lately so I had this one bottle in the back of the frig for awhile. Drinking this right after a Stone IPA and this seems a bit smoother and perhaps a slightly creamier feel on the palate. I really love many of the San Diego breweries and Green Flash is yet another exceptional example. I vividly recall my first taste of this beer which was on tap at Najas and me and my brother were blown away and couldn't stop talking about how good it was. Later I found it in bottles and still love it. There Imperial IPA is something worth writing home about as well!

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Had heard a lot about this beer, and finally was able to snag a sixer of this one after hunting it down.

A: Looks like you're standard IPA, nice amber colored with about an inch of head. Poured into a standard pint glass.

S: Wow. A combination of grapefruit, citrus, and pine. Just a hint of herbal-resins and spice. Wish I was able to have poured into a tulip, but oh well.

T: Fantastic, the aroma definitely carries into taste, but am able to taste a little more of the herbal dankness than was able to originally smell.

M: Really nice mouthfeel. With the amount of hops in the taste, I usually expect to be overwhelmed by bitterness and what I perceive to be a dry taste, but this is smooth, and the malts used here are a great compliment to the hops.

D:Three of these went down in no time. 7.3%?! Seriously?!

Overall: This beer, for me, definitely lived up to my expectations. I drank these after first having a Hopslam, and this sure held it's own in my opinion. I was happy to see that even after the Hopslam, this beer clearly presented it's fantastic flavor & aroma. This will be purchased and enjoyed (and copied as a homebrew!)

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Had on tap at a local bar, had to grab a bottle for a proper review:

Look - Light amber, big frothy white head, mild retention

Smell - Heav-hitting hoppy citrus, grapefruit

Taste - Sweet on the tongue, clean malty caramel flavor on the palate, and a rush of citrus hops going down. Aftertaste is strong bitter hops.

Feel - medium body, a little chewy, crisp at colder temperatures

Drink - Say what you will about the bitterness, it's a rather tasty drink. Those who fear hops should stay away, but anyone who appreciates the style will enjoy it. I found the alcohol to be a bit strong though, so it's definitely not a session beer for me.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this a few days ago out in California. I brought a six pack back with me.

A - Copper/orange with golden edges. Good head and good lacing for the duration of the beer, but not the best I've ever seen.

S - Rocks! God, this is a nice west coast hoppy aroma. Some candied grapefruit, pine/evergreen, and a hint of pineapple. I'd stick my nose in this for a long time!

T - A bit more subdued than the nose. Still, quite forward with the hops. Yum. Very bright, pretty citrusy, but there's still some toasted pale malts and a hint of caramel for balance. Very clean.

M - Medium body. Low to moderate carbonation. Again, clean, and tightly wound (hope this isn't too wine-specific a term). Crisp.

D - I want more! This is super tasty, goes down easily, and is very refreshing. Good sessionability, and also really makes me want to go back for more.

4.74/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - good head an retention. A bit hazy.

Smell - amazing!!!! Orange and grapefruit notes. I definitely smell Citra hops. Big, aggressive dry hop. Doesn't smell much better than this in the IPA world.

Taste - also exemplary! barely-there malt backbone that has a little caramel note but is mostly american Pale ale malt or 2 row. The hoppiness is definitely the main event but is least prominent in the middle. Still very hoppy and once again, It doesn't get much better than this.

Finish - Almost as good as aromas and better than the middle. Dank and sticky but still citrusy.

Overall - this is one of the best IPAs I've ever had and, as far as I'm concerned, it is a benchmark for it's style. IPA is my everyday style and the only one I consider myself knowledgeable in and this is world-class, without question.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

I bought a six pack of this beer because I heard that it was a good IPA.

A. Poured into and Anchor Steam pint glass. It was a copper type color. Almost orange. Good thick head and nice lacing.

S. Insanely hoppy smell. Lots of pine notes. Probably the best part of the beer.

T. Intense flavor. The hops reach out and punch you in the face on this one. Also had your typical citrus flavors but the malt dissapears behind al those damn hops.

M. I like the carbonation. Perfect amount. Nice oily hop bitterness as well.

D. The drinkability was just so so. Too many of these might give you blisters in your mouth from the burning hops.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

I was very excited to try this beer and even my first impressions were good. Apparently, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Appearance was nice. A golden rust color with a nice light foam head.

Smell was great. Very lush and green with plenty of sweet citrus.

Taste was nice too....until I swallowed and the harsh reality hit home. Up front it was a nice lush experience with plenty of citrus and pine but upon swallowing, that all disappeared and true the serious biterness presented itself. It seemed that this has no real malt backbone to balance out the hops.

Mouthfeel was just about what I expected but the harshness lowers the drinkability somewhat, at least for me.

I know this beer is very highly regarded and I generally liked it but based on the buzz surrounding it, I was expecting something more like Two Hearted.

I'll be happy to try it again in the future but I probably won't mbe seeking out another bottle any time soon.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.