Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,786 | Hads: 7,363
3.79/5  rDev -9.5%

First time i have had this in awhile

A: Great looking beer, nice copper color and 2 finger cream colored head.

S: Citrus and pine, not as strong as i would like but good. I know GF puts the bottled on date on the cartons but i couldn't find it. My guess is this isn't past it's prime FWIW.

T:It has the perfect amount of bitterness for me, finishes dry, grapefruit is prodominant

M: Medium, carbonation is about right

O: Overall this is a good/very good IPA. Bottom line, it's too pricey. This is the first time i have seen it in my area and i wanted to revisit it after all the backlash on GF going to 4pks etc. and uping their pricing. If you like good IPA's i would recommend this for sure, i just think its way overpriced. (731 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Pours a very hazy orangish/golden with about one finger of fluffy off white head. Nice lacing as I drink this one.

Aroma is KILLER! Big citrus hops, bright and bold. Grapefruit, spices, fresh cut grass, pine, so much going on here. Super fresh aroma, one of the best aromas on a beer that I have ever encountered.

Taste is much like the aroma. Big citrus hopps make an impression on the palate at first, smoothed out with a bit of maltiness but back to the bitterness from the hops in the finish. Lots of different hop varieties make the taste a cornucopia of pine, grass, citrus, just amazing.

Very good mouthfeel, just a bit too much carbonation for my tastes but it doesn't take away from it much. Bitter finish is totally expected from such hoppy goodness. I could drink this all day but I fear I would be on the floor after a couple due to the ABV. Just a plain outstanding IPA. (886 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Nice copper tone. Pour had a nice head to it. Perfect about of bitterness. I personally would like a little more hoppiness but still an awesome beer . (150 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -15%

Another famous IPA. It's been fun trying all these hop monsters.

Nice two-finger head. A somewhat clear IPA, with some cloudiness now that I hold it up to the light.

A very piney smell to this. Maybe the piniest I've had.

I was a little disappointed by this one. Instead of a lot of hop complexity, I get a huge wallop of bitterness up front, a dry finish with some more pine at the end, and that's it. I mean, it's a solid, drinkable IPA, I guess I was just expecting more complexity given this beer's reputation.

Nice, dry mouthfeel. I like it a lot. Easy to drink. I'd never turn this beer down, I just feel like the bitterness is too dominant. (652 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle decanted in a standard pint glass as a Guest beer at Newport Beach Brewing Co.

A tough almost white head sits on top of a wonderful slightly hazy hue of auburn/orange. With aroma flowing of hops.
Flavor is dominated by a grassy, earthy hop resign. Perching itself on the palette with a sharp meaningfull bite. Fresh grass and hay make it's way in through nose when sipping.
Finishes with a slight malt coat but finishes wonderful, sip after sip.
Would say to all... try it. It has it's own character but nearly the same as the other IPAs out theie. (562 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

UPDATED TASTING:
Tasted a fresh bottle on May 22, 2011 in a tulip glass at the Elite Brands GIBF tasting at Falling Rock. I'm bumping up my Appearance score, which was previously a 2.0 because the fresh bottle was much better looking, and fresher smelling and tasting (go figure, right?). Thanks to Jim Kenny of GFB for walking me through the lineup. I came to find out that the old distributor was sitting on old beer. Elite Brands now has a fresh supply in-stock and it sounds like that will continue, with them taking smaller deliveries on a more regular basis.

(Original note on appearance of my first 4-pack of old product)
I originally rated the appearance on the low side as there was a ton of sediment at the bottom of each bottle. I purchased the 6-pack from a larger store here in Denver, but that is no guarantee of anything, other than that they have a large selection of beer. And without any sort of date on the bottle, who knows?

Getting past my initial moment of pause in regards to the sediment at the bottom of the bottle, all the other points of the beer are quite good. When pouring, there was minimal head, sort of a skim coat of foam, but that was the way I poured it, going very slowly to keep the sediment at bay, leaving behind less than 1-ounce of beer.

Aromas and flavors were bright and fresh, with lots of citrus and bitter citrus pith, loads of pine and notes of apricot as well, plus welcome background dough and malt notes.

For the amount of emphasis placed on the hops, there is still a fairly balanced feel with the subtle malt notes. I like hops... a lot, but the addition of the subtle malt notes adds a welcome dimension of complexity here.

Medium+body, maintaining the crisp hoppy mouthfeel throughout, with a slight bit of sweetness that the dry hop profile overtakes. The hints of apricot are not sweet or syrupy by any means, lending more of an aromatic quality than any sort of weight.

This one is growing on me....

I'll have to do some digging on the sediment issue. I'd definitely give this one another shot and will probably update this review another time.

Opened a second bottle from the same 6-pack and intentionally included sediment in the pour to see how the beer faired. Not as well, leading me to believe this is from an older batch. The bready-malty notes become much more pronounced, masking the brighter aromas and flavors I noticed when decanting the first bottle. Hmm? I think I'll have to try and find a fresher specimen here.

(Please not that my ranking for this beer was based on the initial bottle that I poured into a pint glass, leaving the sediment behind in the bottle. The second bottle with the sediment included was not nearly as agreeable and I'd probably give it a 2.7 overall.) (2,758 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

pours a beautiful hazy amber. incredible head, retention, and lacing. i have an island in my beer after 20 minutes of drinking it.

smells are wonderful. lots of notes typical of cascade and centennial. piney, citrusy, floral

first taste a little underwhelming. nice malty sweetness, good amount of bitterness in the finish. those pine cones hit again. juicy.

under carbonated. great finish on first sip i had thought it was maybe a little too old. i dunno if that's the case as the age isn't on the bottle. enjoyable, but there are other ipas i prefer (554 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Wow, total hop bomb. This beer pours a deep golden yellow. The smell is fruity. The taste is hops, slapping me in the face with some citrus notes that help to ease the initial blast to the face. The mouth feel is bitter hop, but that's what this beer is all about. I guess they don't mess around when it comes to IPA on the West Coast. (335 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Slightly hazy light amber-colored ale. Not much head retention. Citrus, pine, and resiny hops in the aroma. Explosive bitterness followed by lingering dank grapefruit/lemon rind flavors. Layers of Pacific Northwest hops from start to finish. A true hophead's delight all the way from the Left Coast. Now that's my kind of session beer.

Thanks to brewandbbq for bringing this hoppy nectar to the East. (403 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1%

On tap at Coronado Brewery. Golden with a an average white head. The aroma is lemon, grapefruit, orange, pine and spicy hops. Almost smells like Fruit Loops. The taste is similiar to the aroma. Dry and bitter throughout with a heavy bitter finish. This is a very flavorful beer. (278 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -6%

A: golden straw. the color is quite beautiful. decent lacing.

S: summer peach and dank grapefruit resinous and hoppiness. smells like it tastes.

T: when i first sampled this brew i was head over heels. not too bitter but a piney, floral confluence. it finishes quite well and has you begging for more.

M: strong carbobation and not oily at all. def taste/feel the alcohol but not in a bad way.

O: a def go to. im glad they,ve expanded their offerings at a reasonable price! love this brew! (493 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am a huge double IPA fan, just tend to have more style, flavor, taste, etc. Obvious problem being the alcohol catches up to you so fast that sessioning them is next to impossible. If you have the same problem, here's your beer. At 7%, and absolutely full of flavor, hops aromas, citrus and flowers, this is without question the prototypical west coaster.

Appearance is a beautiful dark brownish-orange color, with that classic thick, micro-bubbled IPA head. A solid 1.5 fingers and the lacing was as thick (all the way down the glass) at the end as it was at the beginning.

The smell, oh the smell... Do yourself a favor and just savor this thing once you've poured it. It's as close to a perfect example of the style as I've come across. Flowers & grapefruits leap from the glass at you. Alcohol is there, but hiding in the background to be discovered later.

The taste is perfect. No overpowering elements here, just an amazing blend of incredibly clean and fresh hops, citrus backbone and a very very slight alcohol nose. Yum.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a tad creamy, just right.

Drinkability is what blows me away. I've never had a 7% IPA with as much flavor as this, and 7% tends to be my line in the sand for a beer that I can session and not simultaneously fall off the stool. Drinking 3-4 of these over the course of an afternoon with friends is what it's all about.

Well done Green Flash, and thanks. (1,416 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass...

A: Hazy/cloudy orange amber in color with minimal head. Nice lacing and great retention down the inside of the glass.

S: Massive amount of hop aroma in the nose. Complex hop smell that includes a huge blast of pine and grass followed by the typical (for a west coast ale) floral, and citrus notes. Not much of the malts can be detected in the smell.

T: Just like the nose... the taste follows suit with a massive wave of bitter hops. Floral fades to pine fades to citrus rind... very complex blend of hops. You can taste just enough of the malts to give this beer a nice balance and to hold the ABV at 7.0%. Superior level of bitter hang on the finish. You can taste this one the following morning!!!

M: Full bodied, sticky, and viscous... almost perfect for an American IPA. Moderate level of carbonation with a bunch of slow rising bubbles in the glass.

D: I am a huge fan of IPAs, so I would classify this beer as a "session" beer, however, the bitterness may overwhelm you after three or four! Very highly recomended. (1,061 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured form a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Orangeish apperance with a nice white head that takes it time to disapate. Smells…Pine, Hops, lots of hops some citrus notes are prevalent as well. Taste is what I've come to expect from these West Coast styles, the first thing that my tounge noticed was the hoppy, piney taste that I love. Real nice mouthfeel, bitter but also some malts in there to balance it out. Awesome. The ABV is disguised well here so tread carefully but Enjoy! (487 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Orange color, with only a slight bit of haze. Nice Head that lingered a bit
S: NIce Citrus Spell...Little Pine....Pleasant.
T: Nice bitterness...hops...citrus..Not much malt (which a American IPA shouldn't have) .Overall...Really Good....
M. Decent Mouthfeel for a 7.3%....Above average

Overall really nice beer....Will buy again. (334 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served in a chilled mug.

A: Pours a dark amber with moderate lacing and one-finger head that dissipates quickly.

S: Strong grapefruit on the nose, pine resin, floral notes and faint malty sweetness.

T: A strong malt backbone supports a palate of strong grapefruit, faint plum, and and finishes with strong bitterness from the hops. Very refreshing!

M: Moderate carbonation with a clean, smooth mouthfeel.

O: A delicious and refreshing brew with strong grapefruit notes, sandwiched nicely between sweet malt and bitter hops. Another excellent IPA that furthers my conversion to a hop-head. (593 characters)

A - Pours a golden amber color with medium murkiness/clarity and very bubbly. 1 inch white head that retains well, with lots of lacing.

S - A fantastic mixture of hops and sweet citrus fruits (orange and lemon peel, passion fruit, and grapefruit).

T - A sweet front is quickly followed by a fruitiness that ends with a very strong bitter aftertaste.

M - A medium body that does not create a strong burn from either carbonation or alcohol.

O - The smell is great, and the taste is sweet at first but the bitter aftertaste is very powerful, maybe a bit overpowering. (572 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Very excited to find a 4-pack of this at a Whole Foods in NYC. Poured from bottle into tulip.

A - Nice golden color. Very thin white head that disappears. Sticky lacing.

S - Piney and floral hop aroma.

T - Up front hops with round-bodied caramel malt taste.

M - Nice taste, not too dry, not bitter.

Classic west coast ipa, as per the name. Nice beer! (359 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10.3%

Average ipa, citra centric, good aroma ma poor taste profile. Good bitternes ar the end but not much tropical notes that i expected in a Dipa like this. I had better feeling with old version, normal ipa but maximal flavour. (223 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%

Rather than go into my ratings, I'll just go ahead with a review.

Are you a hophead? Do you love hops? Are you NOT afraid of tartness or bitterness? If you don't posses these qualities, you won't like this beer. If you love the blast of bitterness of a seriously hopped up beer, you'll love this.

This beer is serious hop business. Very piney, very citrusy, and some floral character. It's bitter and sour, no sweet/make it friendlier type additives. It will be unpleasant to almost everyone that likes sweet, malty, aged, roasty, heavy beers. I'm not going to say lemon, or grapefruit, or any of those other similar likenesses. It's really really hoppy!

West Coast is lightweight, highly carbonated, and hoppy as it can get. And let me tell you, I LOVE it. I'm a hophead. I love hops and this beer is more a hop drink than a "beer". It's delicious and I'm glad when it's available here in my area.

Would LOVE to persuade someone to get this on tap but in my area everyone is afraid it won't sell. Myself and a few friends would drink it up though! (1,052 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Got two bottles of these from someone that "didn't like 'em"...

Wow. What an excellent gift for me. This beer was amazing. The name says it all. This is West Coast style all the way.

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams sensory glass. Big fluffy head that stuck around for a while.

The smell blew me away. Tons of citrus and hops.

Taste was excellent with a great dry hoppy finish.

Excellent beer overall. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Sux to be them I guess.... (484 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

The West Coast IPA pours a copper color with a 1/2 inch of head. You will note in the bottle, the pour, and finally in your glass sediment/hops, from dry hopping I think. It distracts a little from the beers appearance I feel. Not much lacing, but I find myself swirling this beer alot, so no lacing would be left.

Pine on the nose with a little citrus and maybe some other fruits, and a very light malty sweetness.

This beer is delicious. Bitter hops and fruits are perfect in this beer along with a nice touch of malt without going over the top. I like the lack of balance as sometime the fruit is less present, sometimes very fruity. The sediment isn't noticed at all when drinking this fantastic IPA.

This beer will be in my fridge often. Mozol tov! (756 characters)

This was one of the Best IPAs I've ever had. Really great, citrusy hop profile, a great example of the West Coast IPA.

Appearance: Somewhat dark for an IPA, sort of an burnt orange color. Not a lot of head and pretty much no lacing.

Smell: Great. You get the hops and the citrus right off the bat, but it's clear that there's enough malt here to balance.

Taste: As the label of the beer says, this beer is "Extravagantly Hopped." The citrus is enough to balance the bitterness, but if you shy away from more dry beers this wouldn't be for you.

Mouthfeel: Really nice, pretty thick mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. Not the smoothest beer ever, but at 7.3% ABV this isn't meant to be a smooth session beer anyways. (714 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -32.2%

Picked up a 4-pack and tried it out 5 months before the freshness date of Nov-25-15.
Beautiful golden color with some nice lacing.
Smells a bit of pines and hops, but i got nothing else.
Maybe it's a bad batch but the beer is pretty flat. The bitterness seems to overpower everything because I can't taste the hops and pines from the previous version of this brew. I've heard of the cat-pee phenomenon before but this is the first time I've experienced it. Just a very off-putting taste. Might have to try this again at Green Flash next time in SD, but overall a disappointment. (580 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

A- nice hazy copper color

S- citrus some pine and defiantly hoppy

T- claims 95 IBUs but i dont fully taste it but great hoppy taste again some citrus and pine

M- light carbonation goes down smooth

D- eal drinkable i could sit down and drink a few of these (263 characters)

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.