Join our email list →

Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.10% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,820 | Hads: 7,568
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Having had my fair share of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale for the past three months, I felt it was time to move on. Since I'm a huge IPA fan, I decided to try Green Flash, which is brewed only about 45 miles away in Vista, CA.

The beer's appearance in the bottle was a bit cloudy. I wondered if it was old, but after opening, pouring, and drinking that thought quickly went away.

The beer poured very well into a pint glass, and even as I drink it now with half remaining it still has a very delicate, frothy ring around the glass. It leaves a nice lace as you drink, also. The initial taste is very fruity, then a hop bitterness at the end followed by a smokiness that is more characteristic of a scottish ale. The more I drink this beer, the more I like it!

The West Coast IPA is a pretty standard West Coast IPA. Hops are blended nicely without too much harsh astringency, but in the end, it's the same grapefruit and resin aromas we all know by heart.

Malt is 2-row and caramel.

Medium body

~ 2.5 V carbonation

A great beer, and I've heard it won some awards, but you could probably make something similar at home with your eyes closed.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick, fluffy off-white head head lays on top of a dark, almost opaque ruby orange. Pieces of lace hold on to the glass as the two finger head becomes a one finger head.

Aroma is citrus all the way. Grapefruit and lemon zest dominate, with some piney earth notes coming through gently.

Taste follows the nose in the beginning. Really really fruity. The end is super hop centered, and the aftertaste feels like I'm sucking on a pinecone.

A mild to light mouthfeel, really crisp with mild carbonation. Despite the strong aftertaste, the beer doesn't stay with you that long. Hides the ABV really well, and I could definitely see myself getting in trouble with this beer at a BBQ.

4.96/5  rDev +18.4%

A- dark golden copper color.

S- nice hoppiness, pine, floral, sweet citrus.

T- huge dank hops and pine when you first sip. Citrus, good floral, grapefruit, mango, and burnt bready malt.

M- medium bodied and good carbonation. Refreshing.

O- a truly fantastic DIPA. I really enjoy this brew. Definitely up there on my list.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a little cloudy. Light copper. Huge lasting head and plenty of intricate lacing.

Wonderful blended aroma of floral hops, resinous grassy herb, pine, grapefruit, you name it. This has a great nose.

Taste is a little tame comparatively but still solid. Lighter on the grapefruit, heavier on the grass, more flat out bitter than anything else.

served in a flute pint glass

a- light amber, orange hints, huge inch frothy head, with hop or yeast particles floating inside,what a nice head (getting intimate) pillow soft, head lasts for ever

s- wow, just like an ipa should smell like...big wave of grapefruit, topical paradise, some hints of pine and floral, definetely smell a sweet pale malt backbne

t-holy hops!!! tropical grapefruit at the beginning then lingers to a bitter pine and then back to sitting on a beach with tropical fruits. this is what an ipa should taste like!!! all hops barely any malt..ends with a nice bitter alcohol sting to let you know it is there,
m- so smooth and delectable

d- all day, i think i downed this beer in mins

best beer in a while!! what a surprise never heard of this one.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A fresh growler poured into a pint glass

An aggressive pour delivers two fingers of white fluffy head resting proudly atop an amber colored ale. Lacing galore as the head falls to a thin cap that maintains for the remainder. A tint of gold is revealed when held to the light. Truly a beauty of an IPA and strangely dark for an ale boasting West Coast in the name. Sweet candy hops come through in the nose highlighted with light floral aromas. The hops become stronger as the ale draws closer to room temperature. Orange and grapefruit become more and more prevalent. The tip of the tongue gets a nice treat of sweet grain and hop resins. The pallet becomes coated boldly with hop oils of bitterness. Sticky hops lasting in the after taste proving worthy of the west coast name. The very slight evidence of caramel remain dry but pay homage to the style. West Coast IPA is quite a quaffer, but heed the 7% ABV dong your best not to kill the entire growler to you can still respect beer. Tonight is a week night and I shared this one with a very grateful fellow BA brother.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

I've passed this one by far too long. Huge fluffy white head when poured into a Duvel tulip, slightly hazy burnt orange color really looks inviting. The sharp piney aromas are really nice, with grapefruit zest and spicy overtones but hardly any malt aromas, just a bare breadiness.

This is one hell of a hop bomb for single IPA. Floral, citrus hops come forward strong and clear with a toasted bread maltiness making a brief appearance before spicier hops shove it out of the way. Long finish, with a very complex hop character.

Ever so slightly syrupy, almost delicate carbonation, and sharp bitterness make for a very enjoyable sip that. I don't find this very quaffable, there is too much going on with too much intensity, but this is still a joy to drink.

3.94/5  rDev -6%

A: golden straw. the color is quite beautiful. decent lacing.

S: summer peach and dank grapefruit resinous and hoppiness. smells like it tastes.

T: when i first sampled this brew i was head over heels. not too bitter but a piney, floral confluence. it finishes quite well and has you begging for more.

M: strong carbobation and not oily at all. def taste/feel the alcohol but not in a bad way.

O: a def go to. im glad they,ve expanded their offerings at a reasonable price! love this brew!

4.65/5  rDev +11%

This is the stuff hop dreams are made of! Had at the Stone Anniversary Release.

A- Dark Golden/Light Amber -- right on the money!
S- A slightly danky IPA, but not overly so. That said, many IPA's are going the total citrus route, so some dank is kinda nice! Pine and citrus are also present-- Nicely done!
T- Slight nutty taste but the danky-ness continues. The bitterness walks the line (between harsh and smooth) and lingers into the finish like a laser- I would say this is pretty balanced, if not a little flamboyant for the style!
M- Nice, firm malt backbone and hop presence
O- If choosing an IPA you would be hard pressed to find any better. Its West Coast, which if you are on this site, means hops across the board. Its a nice beer. Personally, I like something a tad more "toned down" like Port's Wipeout IPA. With that said, I can totally appreciate this effort.

Grade: Solid A

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A-Clear copper with a big foamy off-white head. Head stays for a decent period, but not terribly long. Lacing remains with big chunks on the side of the glass. Poured in some sediment that I wasn't expecting to be in the bottle.

S-Hops are very prominent with a hint of malt sweetness. There is also a nice fresh fruit smell in there too.

T-A slight hint of sweet malts followed by an assertive bitter hop kick. The mouthful actually manages to finish sweet with some fruity notes from the hops. Could be described as citrus, but almost has a melon-like quality to it.

M-Pretty full mouthfeel with low moderate carbonation. FInishes with a good combo of slightly sweet from the fruitiness and slightly astringent from the hops. This is very pleasant.

O-Very balanced and spot-on for the style. A touch of complexity added with fruit. Great stuff, give me another.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Nice copper tone. Pour had a nice head to it. Perfect about of bitterness. I personally would like a little more hoppiness but still an awesome beer .

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A
Cloudy, orange/brown... looks good.

S
Amazing smell. Green Flash has figured out how to make a Pale smell good. I don't think anyone else can match their smell. The perfect hoppy-sweet mixture.

T
My only complaint... too much hops! I love it. Hop city. It is a great blend of hops and sweet malt... but almost too much hops. But the flavor profile is dead on what I'd expect from an IPA named "West Coast." Great job Green Flash.

MF
It is quite rude to my mouth. Very bitter and a little acidic in mouth feel... but not bad. I'd love to side-by-side taste this against SN's Torpedo.

D
I used to really love the GF West Coast IPA. Actually, I still do on a one 12oz bottle matchup at a time... I can only drink one of these. I've even had a 5 gallon keg of this at my house and loved it at first but soon felt it was too hoppy. Now, give me a 5 gallon of Blind Pig or Pliny and I'd have a different story. Or, even Stone's IPA.

Green Flash's West Coast IPA is a great experience. I wouldn't buy it and drink it every week... but it is so much fun to share with friends and talk about how Green Flash makes great hoppy beers.

Cheers to Green Flash.

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%

First time i have had this in awhile

A: Great looking beer, nice copper color and 2 finger cream colored head.

S: Citrus and pine, not as strong as i would like but good. I know GF puts the bottled on date on the cartons but i couldn't find it. My guess is this isn't past it's prime FWIW.

T:It has the perfect amount of bitterness for me, finishes dry, grapefruit is prodominant

M: Medium, carbonation is about right

O: Overall this is a good/very good IPA. Bottom line, it's too pricey. This is the first time i have seen it in my area and i wanted to revisit it after all the backlash on GF going to 4pks etc. and uping their pricing. If you like good IPA's i would recommend this for sure, i just think its way overpriced.

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Pours a very hazy orangish/golden with about one finger of fluffy off white head. Nice lacing as I drink this one.

Aroma is KILLER! Big citrus hops, bright and bold. Grapefruit, spices, fresh cut grass, pine, so much going on here. Super fresh aroma, one of the best aromas on a beer that I have ever encountered.

Taste is much like the aroma. Big citrus hopps make an impression on the palate at first, smoothed out with a bit of maltiness but back to the bitterness from the hops in the finish. Lots of different hop varieties make the taste a cornucopia of pine, grass, citrus, just amazing.

Very good mouthfeel, just a bit too much carbonation for my tastes but it doesn't take away from it much. Bitter finish is totally expected from such hoppy goodness. I could drink this all day but I fear I would be on the floor after a couple due to the ABV. Just a plain outstanding IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The look, smell, taste, and feel of this beer is perfect when I think of a dipa. A nice balance between the malts and hops. This brew is definitely in my top 10.

3.56/5  rDev -15%

Another famous IPA. It's been fun trying all these hop monsters.

Nice two-finger head. A somewhat clear IPA, with some cloudiness now that I hold it up to the light.

A very piney smell to this. Maybe the piniest I've had.

I was a little disappointed by this one. Instead of a lot of hop complexity, I get a huge wallop of bitterness up front, a dry finish with some more pine at the end, and that's it. I mean, it's a solid, drinkable IPA, I guess I was just expecting more complexity given this beer's reputation.

Nice, dry mouthfeel. I like it a lot. Easy to drink. I'd never turn this beer down, I just feel like the bitterness is too dominant.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle decanted in a standard pint glass as a Guest beer at Newport Beach Brewing Co.

A tough almost white head sits on top of a wonderful slightly hazy hue of auburn/orange. With aroma flowing of hops.
Flavor is dominated by a grassy, earthy hop resign. Perching itself on the palette with a sharp meaningfull bite. Fresh grass and hay make it's way in through nose when sipping.
Finishes with a slight malt coat but finishes wonderful, sip after sip.
Would say to all... try it. It has it's own character but nearly the same as the other IPAs out theie.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

UPDATED TASTING:
Tasted a fresh bottle on May 22, 2011 in a tulip glass at the Elite Brands GIBF tasting at Falling Rock. I'm bumping up my Appearance score, which was previously a 2.0 because the fresh bottle was much better looking, and fresher smelling and tasting (go figure, right?). Thanks to Jim Kenny of GFB for walking me through the lineup. I came to find out that the old distributor was sitting on old beer. Elite Brands now has a fresh supply in-stock and it sounds like that will continue, with them taking smaller deliveries on a more regular basis.

(Original note on appearance of my first 4-pack of old product)
I originally rated the appearance on the low side as there was a ton of sediment at the bottom of each bottle. I purchased the 6-pack from a larger store here in Denver, but that is no guarantee of anything, other than that they have a large selection of beer. And without any sort of date on the bottle, who knows?

Getting past my initial moment of pause in regards to the sediment at the bottom of the bottle, all the other points of the beer are quite good. When pouring, there was minimal head, sort of a skim coat of foam, but that was the way I poured it, going very slowly to keep the sediment at bay, leaving behind less than 1-ounce of beer.

Aromas and flavors were bright and fresh, with lots of citrus and bitter citrus pith, loads of pine and notes of apricot as well, plus welcome background dough and malt notes.

For the amount of emphasis placed on the hops, there is still a fairly balanced feel with the subtle malt notes. I like hops... a lot, but the addition of the subtle malt notes adds a welcome dimension of complexity here.

Medium+body, maintaining the crisp hoppy mouthfeel throughout, with a slight bit of sweetness that the dry hop profile overtakes. The hints of apricot are not sweet or syrupy by any means, lending more of an aromatic quality than any sort of weight.

This one is growing on me....

I'll have to do some digging on the sediment issue. I'd definitely give this one another shot and will probably update this review another time.

Opened a second bottle from the same 6-pack and intentionally included sediment in the pour to see how the beer faired. Not as well, leading me to believe this is from an older batch. The bready-malty notes become much more pronounced, masking the brighter aromas and flavors I noticed when decanting the first bottle. Hmm? I think I'll have to try and find a fresher specimen here.

(Please not that my ranking for this beer was based on the initial bottle that I poured into a pint glass, leaving the sediment behind in the bottle. The second bottle with the sediment included was not nearly as agreeable and I'd probably give it a 2.7 overall.)

This was one of the Best IPAs I've ever had. Really great, citrusy hop profile, a great example of the West Coast IPA.

Appearance: Somewhat dark for an IPA, sort of an burnt orange color. Not a lot of head and pretty much no lacing.

Smell: Great. You get the hops and the citrus right off the bat, but it's clear that there's enough malt here to balance.

Taste: As the label of the beer says, this beer is "Extravagantly Hopped." The citrus is enough to balance the bitterness, but if you shy away from more dry beers this wouldn't be for you.

Mouthfeel: Really nice, pretty thick mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. Not the smoothest beer ever, but at 7.3% ABV this isn't meant to be a smooth session beer anyways.

3.76/5  rDev -10.3%

Average ipa, citra centric, good aroma ma poor taste profile. Good bitternes ar the end but not much tropical notes that i expected in a Dipa like this. I had better feeling with old version, normal ipa but maximal flavour.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

pours a beautiful hazy amber. incredible head, retention, and lacing. i have an island in my beer after 20 minutes of drinking it.

smells are wonderful. lots of notes typical of cascade and centennial. piney, citrusy, floral

first taste a little underwhelming. nice malty sweetness, good amount of bitterness in the finish. those pine cones hit again. juicy.

under carbonated. great finish on first sip i had thought it was maybe a little too old. i dunno if that's the case as the age isn't on the bottle. enjoyable, but there are other ipas i prefer

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Wow, total hop bomb. This beer pours a deep golden yellow. The smell is fruity. The taste is hops, slapping me in the face with some citrus notes that help to ease the initial blast to the face. The mouth feel is bitter hop, but that's what this beer is all about. I guess they don't mess around when it comes to IPA on the West Coast.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Got two bottles of these from someone that "didn't like 'em"...

Wow. What an excellent gift for me. This beer was amazing. The name says it all. This is West Coast style all the way.

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams sensory glass. Big fluffy head that stuck around for a while.

The smell blew me away. Tons of citrus and hops.

Taste was excellent with a great dry hoppy finish.

Excellent beer overall. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Sux to be them I guess....

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Look. Soft, cloudy golden Amber. Frothy head
Smell. Pretty pungent. A peachy, peppery nasa clearer.
Taste. Hops rule the palate, even well after swallowing.
Feel. Substantial, semi-heavy body. Tingly all around the front, dry in the back.
Overall. I think I like its feel best, then its aroma. Nice taste, but not its salient attribute.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.