Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,801 | Hads: 7,477
4.17/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Amazing copper amber color. Decent head that's not a pure white. A lot of flavor up front but minimal bite on the way down, lots of aftertaste to linger. Excellent DIPA

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I thought this beer was good but it didn't blow me away. I want to give it another chance. The bottle I drank had a best-by date on it that passed a few months ago, and this was one of the last beers I had during a night of drinking, so I probably wasn't primed to appreciate it as much as I perhaps should. Anyway--the hops were strong and flavorful (with a steady malt backbone); mouthfeel is thick and substantial. This is a good, serious IPA.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle..case dated Nov 17, 07

Eyes: Deep amber/orange minimal haze at odd angles..more than likely hop oils :) Fantastic lacing head

Nose: Piney....which is followed by some more pine

Taste: Piney hops w/ a bed of slightly caramel malt that let the hops dominate as a figure head only.

Texture: Big enough body that under correct conditions, this would age better over other IPA's

Overall experience: I'm happy to have access to fresh Green Flash beer. I'll buy it anytime...and do.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beer many times, and always enjoy it. Just had a very fresh pour and felt inspired to do my first review in several months.

A: Dark golden hay, as you have heard.

S: oh the fresh hops! smells like you just dumped in the hops on a homebrew... amazing how they have kept that balance alive.

T: A very easy and basic malt body. Some hints of caramel and toffee. From the hops you get a lot of citrus and fresh cut grass.

M: creamy/smooth malt hangs on the tongue, while the acids from the hops pull down the sides of the tongue like tanins in a wine.

D: Very drinkable. The fresh cut grass taste from the hops lingers a bit, so if your consuming with food, you would probably go the more bbq route... some spices might conflict, but it would be worth experimenting. Some roasted peppers would be awesome right now... just sayin.

3.41/5  rDev -18.6%

Bottle received in trade from HeadyHops81, poured into a pint glass.

A: Colored between dark golden and light amber, with two finger fluffy white head that faded quickly but gave excellent lacing.

S: Smells like a total pine tree, with hints of citrus.

T: Sadly, this is the kind of IPA that I don't like - the pine flavored one instead of the citrus flavored one. Pine is really all I taste, with a very dry finish.

M: Fairly thin mouthfeel with an extremely dry finish.

D: For a beer that's over 7% ABV, this hides it's alcohol very well. However, for me, due to it's pine taste I probably won't have another of these and will instead trade them away. And considering it's about the same price per 12oz bottle as Hopslam, I'd have Hopslam all day and twice on Sundays over this. Oh well, you never know which IPAs you like until you try them, right?

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

a - vibrant golden copper color with a very nice amount of carbonation. nice fluffy creamy head with a decent pour.

s - sweet, fruity and crisp on the nose.

t - grapefruit, hoppy as all hell (and i mean that in a great way), and very bold finish. a good punch of maltiness as well. very nice balance, but the bitterness from the hops takes is what takes over the aftertaste. kinda planty. almost like i was just eating some weed or something (which makes perfect sense considering its a hoppy ass beer).

m - med - high carbonation in the mouthfeel but the malty aspect kinda calms it down and evens it out.

o - a great decent priced go-to IPA.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Another newcomer. Really amazing hop aroma, especially for a beer that travelled across the country. I'm loving the hops here. Malt character is present, enough. A bit too much carbonation for a perfect mouthfeel. Perhaps a bit of in-bottle fermentation creating this? Anyway, really liking this beer and am impressed by how it carried.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The look, smell, taste, and feel of this beer is perfect when I think of a dipa. A nice balance between the malts and hops. This brew is definitely in my top 10.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance is burnt orange with excellent lacing, good carbonation and a wispy white head.

Smell is all citrusy american hops. But for the slight malt backbone, I'd be hardpressed to distinguish this beer from a recently cut grapefruit. From cracking the cap to the end of the pour, prepare to be assaulted with citrus.

The taste doesn't belie the smell. Tons of citrusy american hops, but with a more pronounced maltiness and another layer of underlying hop bitterness. It's very well put together.

The bitterness stays with you a bit, which isn't a terrible downfall, but it can be overwhelming- which is why I don't give it such high marks on drinkability.

Overall this beer is a can't miss in the pantheon of west coast ipas and dipas.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

Picked up a six of this at my local store. A superb IPA. This is a crisp IPA, somewhat more dry (and less sugary) than other ales in this category, despite coming in at a nice 7% ABV. The bitter hops takes center stage in this offering and is sharp and spicy. Not too syrupy, which makes this beer quite refreshing and drinkable.

In short, this is a great session IPA. Would definitely drink it again.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: burnt copper color with unfiltered cloudiness. Decent off-white head that fades. Very good lacing all the way down.

S: Floral and citrusy hop smell but not as strong as the flavor suggests.

T: Very good! Strong upfront citrusy flavor with a good caramel malt taste in the middle. Great balance. Slight hop bitterness in the end, but not overpowering.

M: Dances on the tongue and the hop bitterness finish is probably one of the best of this style. Just enough and it does not overpower the rest of the experience.

D: Certainly will enjoy another one tonight, but with this ABV that will be all. Really the only detractor to this one.

Side note: Totally agree with the previous poster's comments about West Coast IPA's having their own sub-category. I think I may be turning into a West Coast IPA snob, which could be a problem on the banking account. Had this on tap (Moe's tavern) as well, and I was worried that the bottle serving type would be a let down. Fortunately, I was wrong, which in my opinion makes this even a better beer. As of right now, this one is my favorite.

4.86/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a tap into a pint glass at the Mellow Mushroom in Southlake Texas. An IPA lovers' beer! This is the ultimate for an IPA lovers beer as their go-to beer everyday. The citrus aroma signals the brain to get ready to get blown away. Perfect for the IPA connoisseur.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Hoppy hop hop hippy hippy don't stop. Hip hip hop, around the hoppy clock.

Pine, citrus, and grapefruit. A classic west coast ipa and delicious if you're in the IPA mood. The bitterness makes it a little less drinkable than desired. However the mouthfeel is great. a perfect lightness for the style.

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Look. Soft, cloudy golden Amber. Frothy head
Smell. Pretty pungent. A peachy, peppery nasa clearer.
Taste. Hops rule the palate, even well after swallowing.
Feel. Substantial, semi-heavy body. Tingly all around the front, dry in the back.
Overall. I think I like its feel best, then its aroma. Nice taste, but not its salient attribute.

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful double ipa. Poured into tulip glass. 1 finger head, nice orange color. Hops smack you on first smell with pine and citrus notes. Taste is some malt presence first with west coast hops through remainder. Legendary ipa

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Reviewed from the draught lines at the Moan and Dove, where this beer has appeared frequently of late.

Appearance: Pours with a huge, two and a half finger head. Bubbling with carbonation, and the head clings to the side of the glass. A little darker than most IPAs.

Smell: Big, bright hop aroma, complimented by citrus fruits.

Taste: Big hop explosion up front, with sustained bitterness. Fresh and crisp in that way. If you're a hop head, this rocks.

Mouthfeel: Probably overwhelming for most palates, as there are only subtle fruit notes and otherwise a lot of bitterness.

Drinkability: Again, this one is for those who adore the Racer 5s and Stone IPAs of the world. I'll usually drink this one last in a session, as you can't taste anything afterwards. But in a good way.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The label reads "Extravagantly Hopped." This is an understatement. The intense pine, and to a lesser degree citrus aroma races out of the neck of the bottle as soon as the cap is lifted.

The beer pours a deep amber color and a sturdy head of half and inch or so crowns the top.

The flavor is intense - crisply bitter.

The carbonation seems to deliver just enough relief from the hop assault to make this beer enjoyable.

The intense flavor signature of this beer pretty much relegates it to one serving per session, for me at least

A - Nice deep copper with tan, dense head. Slight haze (I'm assuming dry hop haze).

S - Great hop aroma. I would swear there was a small dose of English hops in there if I didn't know it was all C hops and domestic varieties. It's wonderfully hoppy without coming across as hop-astringent (if you know what I mean). Malt comes through with the slightest caramel notes.

T - Sweet malt up front, followed immediately by a balancing bitterness that never comes on too strong, but builds nicely as you sip through the glass. I could actually stand a little more pronounced bitterness in the mid-palate.

M - creamy. Great carbonation and the rocky head wasn't lying when it promoted the beer as a full-bodied (but not heavy) delight.

O - As I mentioned, I could have used a little more bitterness sooner. But, overall a very nice IPA, sessionable & deftly balanced. I probably would regret if I did get more IBU's. Nice IPA!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This is one of my favorite IPAs. Maybe this West Coast tag should become a formal sub-style. I've had IPA's that overwhelm with hops with little malt taste before and they didn't work. This one performs majestically. I'm assuming these are Cascade hops in this aromatic flavor blaster? I wish they had two versions of this, one with low alcohol so I could drink several of these at a session. Piney citrusy heaven this one is, at least to me.

Open me up,
Breathe me in.
Drink me once
Drink me again

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

The appearance was a really nice orangish amber, and the smell was distinctly piney. As expected, the citrusey flavors followed very strongly (and tastily!), but this was not as bitter as I was expecting. I don't mean that as a negative, because my surprise was probably what caused my beer to be gone in a flash.

This was an exceptionally tasty, drinkable brew. I am probably a hophead, but a friend who isn't tried mine and agreed with me. Green Flash really has a great malt presence to back this beer up, and it comes through in every taste. The result really took me by surprise, but it was an IPA that brought all of the citrusey, piney taste of an IPA but with an almost sweet profile in the background.

I applaud Green Flash for this slightly different IPA. I will definitely be picking up a quantity of this to continue to enjoy. This is the kind of beer that I could envision sipping on all evening.

4.59/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich amber color with little head.

Smells definitely like a west coast IPA: pine and dankness

The one stand out on this beer was the malt character kind of biscuity and sweet. Good piney/resiny taste with slightly dry finish. Well done green flash!

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice golden color, but lots of bubbles on the glass like it's almost over-carbonated. Super hoppy and citrusy like a west coast IPA. Strong notes of grapefruit. Pretty good IPA

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From cask ...

The beer poured an orange light brown color with a lacey head that retained well beyond the initial pour. There was a slight cloudiness to the beer, but quite minimal and transparent overall.

The smell was exceptional ... what you'd expect from an IPA. Very fresh on the nose with a grassy pine aroma that you'd expect from a walk in the forest.

The citrus notes came in very strong all the way through from sip to swallow. Grapefruit is the overwhelming flavor, one that I'm not particularly fond of.

This flavor left you with an extremely dry feel in the mouth in terms of the overall finish. I couldn't help but feel parched on the tongue.

The tastes I was not fond of mellowed out after by about the second or third pint; however, the first pint was not easy to drink.

On Night #2 of trying this, I was not able to get past the first pint at all; hence my low score in drinkability.

I'm quite a Hop Head --- but I'm not a fan of grapefruit so it makes it quite difficult for me to appreciate this particular beer despite my love for IPAs.

I'd probably overlook this beer in the future, but would be very interested in trying other beers from this brewery.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Damn good IPA. Nice pour, with turbulence down to the bottom of the glass. Nice head, golden color. The smell of hops was pronounced, but the flavor was total fresh hops. Pretty distinctive. The beer was nicely effervescent and drank a treat. Pity I only had the one bottle. If this were available in my area I'd get it pretty regularly. Thanks to johnfromohio for the bottle.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Solid balanced copper/orange with a 1/4" thin foamy head. Fairly small amount of bubbles for an IPA

Very herbal aroma with some softening floral notes

Grapefruit hops and a little sweetness from the malts are the most prevalent.

This beer seems to "slide" across the palate. Smooth and fairly dense. It leaves a good bitterness on the tongue

Very easy to drink. Opened with a very pleasant aroma and finished with an equally appealing taste. I thought all ingredients were balanced very well. A more than solid IPA

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.