Join our email list →

Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.10% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,821 | Hads: 7,575
4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Look. Soft, cloudy golden Amber. Frothy head
Smell. Pretty pungent. A peachy, peppery nasa clearer.
Taste. Hops rule the palate, even well after swallowing.
Feel. Substantial, semi-heavy body. Tingly all around the front, dry in the back.
Overall. I think I like its feel best, then its aroma. Nice taste, but not its salient attribute.

2.84/5  rDev -32.2%

Picked up a 4-pack and tried it out 5 months before the freshness date of Nov-25-15.
Beautiful golden color with some nice lacing.
Smells a bit of pines and hops, but i got nothing else.
Maybe it's a bad batch but the beer is pretty flat. The bitterness seems to overpower everything because I can't taste the hops and pines from the previous version of this brew. I've heard of the cat-pee phenomenon before but this is the first time I've experienced it. Just a very off-putting taste. Might have to try this again at Green Flash next time in SD, but overall a disappointment.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Slightly hazy light amber-colored ale. Not much head retention. Citrus, pine, and resiny hops in the aroma. Explosive bitterness followed by lingering dank grapefruit/lemon rind flavors. Layers of Pacific Northwest hops from start to finish. A true hophead's delight all the way from the Left Coast. Now that's my kind of session beer.

Thanks to brewandbbq for bringing this hoppy nectar to the East.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

On tap at Coronado Brewery. Golden with a an average white head. The aroma is lemon, grapefruit, orange, pine and spicy hops. Almost smells like Fruit Loops. The taste is similiar to the aroma. Dry and bitter throughout with a heavy bitter finish. This is a very flavorful beer.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am a huge double IPA fan, just tend to have more style, flavor, taste, etc. Obvious problem being the alcohol catches up to you so fast that sessioning them is next to impossible. If you have the same problem, here's your beer. At 7%, and absolutely full of flavor, hops aromas, citrus and flowers, this is without question the prototypical west coaster.

Appearance is a beautiful dark brownish-orange color, with that classic thick, micro-bubbled IPA head. A solid 1.5 fingers and the lacing was as thick (all the way down the glass) at the end as it was at the beginning.

The smell, oh the smell... Do yourself a favor and just savor this thing once you've poured it. It's as close to a perfect example of the style as I've come across. Flowers & grapefruits leap from the glass at you. Alcohol is there, but hiding in the background to be discovered later.

The taste is perfect. No overpowering elements here, just an amazing blend of incredibly clean and fresh hops, citrus backbone and a very very slight alcohol nose. Yum.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a tad creamy, just right.

Drinkability is what blows me away. I've never had a 7% IPA with as much flavor as this, and 7% tends to be my line in the sand for a beer that I can session and not simultaneously fall off the stool. Drinking 3-4 of these over the course of an afternoon with friends is what it's all about.

Well done Green Flash, and thanks.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass...

A: Hazy/cloudy orange amber in color with minimal head. Nice lacing and great retention down the inside of the glass.

S: Massive amount of hop aroma in the nose. Complex hop smell that includes a huge blast of pine and grass followed by the typical (for a west coast ale) floral, and citrus notes. Not much of the malts can be detected in the smell.

T: Just like the nose... the taste follows suit with a massive wave of bitter hops. Floral fades to pine fades to citrus rind... very complex blend of hops. You can taste just enough of the malts to give this beer a nice balance and to hold the ABV at 7.0%. Superior level of bitter hang on the finish. You can taste this one the following morning!!!

M: Full bodied, sticky, and viscous... almost perfect for an American IPA. Moderate level of carbonation with a bunch of slow rising bubbles in the glass.

D: I am a huge fan of IPAs, so I would classify this beer as a "session" beer, however, the bitterness may overwhelm you after three or four! Very highly recomended.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served in a chilled mug.

A: Pours a dark amber with moderate lacing and one-finger head that dissipates quickly.

S: Strong grapefruit on the nose, pine resin, floral notes and faint malty sweetness.

T: A strong malt backbone supports a palate of strong grapefruit, faint plum, and and finishes with strong bitterness from the hops. Very refreshing!

M: Moderate carbonation with a clean, smooth mouthfeel.

O: A delicious and refreshing brew with strong grapefruit notes, sandwiched nicely between sweet malt and bitter hops. Another excellent IPA that furthers my conversion to a hop-head.

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured form a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Orangeish apperance with a nice white head that takes it time to disapate. Smells…Pine, Hops, lots of hops some citrus notes are prevalent as well. Taste is what I've come to expect from these West Coast styles, the first thing that my tounge noticed was the hoppy, piney taste that I love. Real nice mouthfeel, bitter but also some malts in there to balance it out. Awesome. The ABV is disguised well here so tread carefully but Enjoy!

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Orange color, with only a slight bit of haze. Nice Head that lingered a bit
S: NIce Citrus Spell...Little Pine....Pleasant.
T: Nice bitterness...hops...citrus..Not much malt (which a American IPA shouldn't have) .Overall...Really Good....
M. Decent Mouthfeel for a 7.3%....Above average

Overall really nice beer....Will buy again.

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful double ipa. Poured into tulip glass. 1 finger head, nice orange color. Hops smack you on first smell with pine and citrus notes. Taste is some malt presence first with west coast hops through remainder. Legendary ipa

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%

Rather than go into my ratings, I'll just go ahead with a review.

Are you a hophead? Do you love hops? Are you NOT afraid of tartness or bitterness? If you don't posses these qualities, you won't like this beer. If you love the blast of bitterness of a seriously hopped up beer, you'll love this.

This beer is serious hop business. Very piney, very citrusy, and some floral character. It's bitter and sour, no sweet/make it friendlier type additives. It will be unpleasant to almost everyone that likes sweet, malty, aged, roasty, heavy beers. I'm not going to say lemon, or grapefruit, or any of those other similar likenesses. It's really really hoppy!

West Coast is lightweight, highly carbonated, and hoppy as it can get. And let me tell you, I LOVE it. I'm a hophead. I love hops and this beer is more a hop drink than a "beer". It's delicious and I'm glad when it's available here in my area.

Would LOVE to persuade someone to get this on tap but in my area everyone is afraid it won't sell. Myself and a few friends would drink it up though!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

The West Coast IPA pours a copper color with a 1/2 inch of head. You will note in the bottle, the pour, and finally in your glass sediment/hops, from dry hopping I think. It distracts a little from the beers appearance I feel. Not much lacing, but I find myself swirling this beer alot, so no lacing would be left.

Pine on the nose with a little citrus and maybe some other fruits, and a very light malty sweetness.

This beer is delicious. Bitter hops and fruits are perfect in this beer along with a nice touch of malt without going over the top. I like the lack of balance as sometime the fruit is less present, sometimes very fruity. The sediment isn't noticed at all when drinking this fantastic IPA.

This beer will be in my fridge often. Mozol tov!

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What's the point in reviewing this beer??? Everybody knows it's one of the best IPA's out there. As a matter of fact, if its from Green Flash, you know it's going to be awesome! But seriously, if you are an IPA lover like me, this should be a staple in your fidge.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

A- nice hazy copper color

S- citrus some pine and defiantly hoppy

T- claims 95 IBUs but i dont fully taste it but great hoppy taste again some citrus and pine

M- light carbonation goes down smooth

D- eal drinkable i could sit down and drink a few of these

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got my growler filled downtown at The Finger Lakes Beverage Center, where I was looking to try the Horseheads IPA but they'd just emptied that yesterday. FLBC also had a Southern Tier IPA, so I had a hard choice which to bring home. Taste test out of nasty little paper cups gave the Green Flash a clear win, though, for its aroma, taste, mouthfeel and aftertaste all good even out of paper. Aftertaste of the two IPAs lingered half-way up East Hill bike-ride: a perfect varnish of happy hopping, not the cottonmouth hop haters complain about but rather an Egyptian mummification of well-preserved mouth feelings. Maybe I'd been swishing them all around my tongue too much, but such taste makes me want to have my ale and drink it too.

Back home out of the growler (after lunch and a nap and a few hours chores as growler chilled in fridge), this poured a rather anemic, quickly dwindling head that left very little lace. Amber a 13 on my SRM color chart is cloudy, so at least I like the turbidity if not the head. Excellent carbonation keeps a few teensy foam rafts floating.

Smells all of hops, and lots of different floral citrus pine and turpentine goodness.

Taste whacks palate from all sides with delish crisp hop bitters and blossoms. Reminds me of picking our own hops vine last summer as fresh bud beauty hits my IPA nerves. This is the well-tuned chord of various hop varieties harmonizing cosmically, maybe there's a bit of malt in mouth someplace, but who cares. Aftertaste continues in the rich vein of hops happening and not going away.

If I lived on west coast, this would be drinkable. Even given the horrible dose of diesel it takes to ship Green Flash all the way out here, I couldn't help preferring this to some way more nearby neighborhood IPAs.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Served in a bottle with a funny bright, unassuming green label. Unassuming for such an incredible beer, blasted with hops to the outer reaches of the Hopgalaxy.

Beautiful opaque copper color, streaming lines of small carbonated entities spread throughout the side of glass. Extremely thick white lacing with each sip. Wide bands charting each journey into my mouth.

Strong aroma of hops, fruity, floral, letting you know what's about to come.

The taste..oh, the taste. You are immediately pounded with hops, lots and lots of hops. It's extremely flavourful, and "Extravagantly Hopped" as the bottle says. Some malt at the finish, but it's pleasantly unbalanced in favor of Team Hops.

Very pleasant mouthfeel. Nice carbonation, very nice bite of that hoppy bitterness that comes with a top-shelf American IPA. 95 IBUs!

A fantastically disguised 7.3%, I could drink a few of these regularly.

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%

Like catching up with an old best friend, that's how I feel about GFWCIPA, with so much world class brew here in So Cal. I often overlook this classic. Poured into my Boulevard tulip this brew is amazing to look at, bright orange with darker amber edges. The head is a beautiful thick creamy two inch cap that stays on the sides throughout the drink. The nose is biting grapefruit rind, hops, and fresh pine, very nice. The flavor follows with bitter citrus and explosive hops that refresh and entice another quaff. The mouth is brilliant, great carbonation, bone dry and clean, the finish is quite impressive as well. Glad I grabbed a four pack and re-acquainted myself with a long time fave.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rich orange/copper color, beautiful amber-tinted head, with long-lasting lacing.

Grapefruit peel is dominant in the nose, along with hints of pine, hops, and maybe a touch of orange zest.

Plenty of crisp citrus, loads of bitter hops, with a balance of malt and spice. Long, bitter citrus peel finish. Very sturdy beer.

Surprisingly creamy, and almost full-bodied. Yet not heavy; great balance. Carbonation is just right.

Beautiful balance of bitter and sweet keeps you coming back for sip after sip. Very drinkable.

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

By far, one of the best IPA's I have ever drank.

It poured with the typical orange hue that an IPA has, and came with head that had a mind of its own. (no pun intended) THe head looked like a lofty cloud that one would observe while on an airplane.

The smell was a brilliant array of citrus and grassy hops, as if I was walking through a hopfield in the Yakima valley.

The taste and mouthfeel were enveloping to say the least. A bright orange flavor came in, with hints of canibus, cut grass, lime, and a malt based liquer.

Really a beautiful beer. Perfect balance, excellent interplay of bitterness with late hop additions to give copious ammounts of flavor.

Well done, seriously.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Picked this up at the local mart looking for a fresh new ipa. Boy this was a delight! Right when I poured the beer the hops were noticeable. It poured with a nice dark golden color with a light head. The taste was exceptional. Lots of hops. I loved the taste and felt the hops really made it tie all together. I thought it had an easy finish without much of a bite making it easy to drink. I was surprised though that a beer with this much hops had this little of a bite.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

From Whole Foods Market (3rd Street & Fairfax) in Los Angeles, California -- 12 oz. portly bottle.

Pours an absolutely gorgeous amber with a finger and a half of head that receded gradually. Moderate carbonation can be seen rising through the beer, and light flows pretty freely. No floaters or yeast visible. THe head is remarkable -- big, piney, hops -- exactly what one would expect from a "West Coast I.P.A." The flavor is definitely what I would expect, with a great hop bitterness on the end -- certainly a unique bitterness. I don't know if I would say it's as challenging as IPAs from Russian River, Stone, or AleSmith, but it's certainly a pleasure to drink. The mouthfeel is light, with moderate carbonation. At 7% it won't go down too quickly, letting the beer warm and some more character to come out. Definitely enjoyable, but it's not in the top 10 of its class. I'd recommend picking one up if you see it, though.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

P: 12 oz bottle
A: beautiful thick white head that laces down the glass, deep copper color
S: wonderful piney hop, oily
T: awesome, so well balanced, not out of control bitter
M: spot on for style
D: could easily do 3-4, but you'd feel it
Notes: Initially had this on tap at McCleary's in Marietta, PA. Got case at CHB. Freshness date was a month old so knew it was good but shocked that it was just as good from the bottle as on tap. An absolutely outstanding IPA. God bless Cali IPAs.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Amazing copper amber color. Decent head that's not a pure white. A lot of flavor up front but minimal bite on the way down, lots of aftertaste to linger. Excellent DIPA

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - great copper sunburst, slightly opaque, creamy head

Aroma - Chunky bitterness, grapefruit and pine, very little detectable malt

Mouthfeel - Very bitter, astringent, feels like the enamel on my teeth is coming off

Taste - Bitterness dominates- grapefruit zest and candied bitter orange peel. After a few sips you get a very slight toasted malt character.

Residual - bitterness lingers for a solid 5 minutes. Does go down smooth though

Really solid beer. For an 8% beer it went down way too easy. All hops with just enough maltiness to keep you interested. My only gripe is that the bitterness was a little much... Wish it was dialed back to a 7 or 8 instead of 11.

Also- I tried the old version a long time ago before I knew what I was doing so I cannot make a comparison between the 2

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I thought this beer was good but it didn't blow me away. I want to give it another chance. The bottle I drank had a best-by date on it that passed a few months ago, and this was one of the last beers I had during a night of drinking, so I probably wasn't primed to appreciate it as much as I perhaps should. Anyway--the hops were strong and flavorful (with a steady malt backbone); mouthfeel is thick and substantial. This is a good, serious IPA.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.