Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,788 | Hads: 7,365

A - Nice deep copper with tan, dense head. Slight haze (I'm assuming dry hop haze).

S - Great hop aroma. I would swear there was a small dose of English hops in there if I didn't know it was all C hops and domestic varieties. It's wonderfully hoppy without coming across as hop-astringent (if you know what I mean). Malt comes through with the slightest caramel notes.

T - Sweet malt up front, followed immediately by a balancing bitterness that never comes on too strong, but builds nicely as you sip through the glass. I could actually stand a little more pronounced bitterness in the mid-palate.

M - creamy. Great carbonation and the rocky head wasn't lying when it promoted the beer as a full-bodied (but not heavy) delight.

O - As I mentioned, I could have used a little more bitterness sooner. But, overall a very nice IPA, sessionable & deftly balanced. I probably would regret if I did get more IBU's. Nice IPA! (923 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This is one of my favorite IPAs. Maybe this West Coast tag should become a formal sub-style. I've had IPA's that overwhelm with hops with little malt taste before and they didn't work. This one performs majestically. I'm assuming these are Cascade hops in this aromatic flavor blaster? I wish they had two versions of this, one with low alcohol so I could drink several of these at a session. Piney citrusy heaven this one is, at least to me.

Open me up,
Breathe me in.
Drink me once
Drink me again (499 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

The appearance was a really nice orangish amber, and the smell was distinctly piney. As expected, the citrusey flavors followed very strongly (and tastily!), but this was not as bitter as I was expecting. I don't mean that as a negative, because my surprise was probably what caused my beer to be gone in a flash.

This was an exceptionally tasty, drinkable brew. I am probably a hophead, but a friend who isn't tried mine and agreed with me. Green Flash really has a great malt presence to back this beer up, and it comes through in every taste. The result really took me by surprise, but it was an IPA that brought all of the citrusey, piney taste of an IPA but with an almost sweet profile in the background.

I applaud Green Flash for this slightly different IPA. I will definitely be picking up a quantity of this to continue to enjoy. This is the kind of beer that I could envision sipping on all evening. (912 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich amber color with little head.

Smells definitely like a west coast IPA: pine and dankness

The one stand out on this beer was the malt character kind of biscuity and sweet. Good piney/resiny taste with slightly dry finish. Well done green flash! (260 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From cask ...

The beer poured an orange light brown color with a lacey head that retained well beyond the initial pour. There was a slight cloudiness to the beer, but quite minimal and transparent overall.

The smell was exceptional ... what you'd expect from an IPA. Very fresh on the nose with a grassy pine aroma that you'd expect from a walk in the forest.

The citrus notes came in very strong all the way through from sip to swallow. Grapefruit is the overwhelming flavor, one that I'm not particularly fond of.

This flavor left you with an extremely dry feel in the mouth in terms of the overall finish. I couldn't help but feel parched on the tongue.

The tastes I was not fond of mellowed out after by about the second or third pint; however, the first pint was not easy to drink.

On Night #2 of trying this, I was not able to get past the first pint at all; hence my low score in drinkability.

I'm quite a Hop Head --- but I'm not a fan of grapefruit so it makes it quite difficult for me to appreciate this particular beer despite my love for IPAs.

I'd probably overlook this beer in the future, but would be very interested in trying other beers from this brewery. (1,181 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The label reads "Extravagantly Hopped." This is an understatement. The intense pine, and to a lesser degree citrus aroma races out of the neck of the bottle as soon as the cap is lifted.

The beer pours a deep amber color and a sturdy head of half and inch or so crowns the top.

The flavor is intense - crisply bitter.

The carbonation seems to deliver just enough relief from the hop assault to make this beer enjoyable.

The intense flavor signature of this beer pretty much relegates it to one serving per session, for me at least (535 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Damn good IPA. Nice pour, with turbulence down to the bottom of the glass. Nice head, golden color. The smell of hops was pronounced, but the flavor was total fresh hops. Pretty distinctive. The beer was nicely effervescent and drank a treat. Pity I only had the one bottle. If this were available in my area I'd get it pretty regularly. Thanks to johnfromohio for the bottle. (376 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got my growler filled downtown at The Finger Lakes Beverage Center, where I was looking to try the Horseheads IPA but they'd just emptied that yesterday. FLBC also had a Southern Tier IPA, so I had a hard choice which to bring home. Taste test out of nasty little paper cups gave the Green Flash a clear win, though, for its aroma, taste, mouthfeel and aftertaste all good even out of paper. Aftertaste of the two IPAs lingered half-way up East Hill bike-ride: a perfect varnish of happy hopping, not the cottonmouth hop haters complain about but rather an Egyptian mummification of well-preserved mouth feelings. Maybe I'd been swishing them all around my tongue too much, but such taste makes me want to have my ale and drink it too.

Back home out of the growler (after lunch and a nap and a few hours chores as growler chilled in fridge), this poured a rather anemic, quickly dwindling head that left very little lace. Amber a 13 on my SRM color chart is cloudy, so at least I like the turbidity if not the head. Excellent carbonation keeps a few teensy foam rafts floating.

Smells all of hops, and lots of different floral citrus pine and turpentine goodness.

Taste whacks palate from all sides with delish crisp hop bitters and blossoms. Reminds me of picking our own hops vine last summer as fresh bud beauty hits my IPA nerves. This is the well-tuned chord of various hop varieties harmonizing cosmically, maybe there's a bit of malt in mouth someplace, but who cares. Aftertaste continues in the rich vein of hops happening and not going away.

If I lived on west coast, this would be drinkable. Even given the horrible dose of diesel it takes to ship Green Flash all the way out here, I couldn't help preferring this to some way more nearby neighborhood IPAs. (1,771 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance:

Solid balanced copper/orange with a 1/4" thin foamy head. Fairly small amount of bubbles for an IPA

Smell:

Very herbal aroma with some softening floral notes

Taste:

Grapefruit hops and a little sweetness from the malts are the most prevalent.

Mouthfeel:

This beer seems to "slide" across the palate. Smooth and fairly dense. It leaves a good bitterness on the tongue

Overall:

Very easy to drink. Opened with a very pleasant aroma and finished with an equally appealing taste. I thought all ingredients were balanced very well. A more than solid IPA (570 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Crystal clear. Darker end of IPAs in color. Dark honey, to brown in color. Hints of red copper when held up to a light. Nice head that dissipates quickly, nice lacing though. Head remains at the thickness of a half dollar throughout the drinking.

N: Tons of hops on the nose, smells exactly like Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Exactly. Pungent, citrus, grapefruit hops all equally blended together. Some earth and pine on the finish. Surprisingly, the malt actually punches through as it warms. I also smell bread, maybe some rye.

T/B: Medium to light body, a little malty sweetness hiding in there behind the hop wallop! The hops are bitter. The smell is almost deceiving when compared to the bitterness. Starts with the slight malty sweetness and a touch of citrus. Then the hops change straight to pine, tree bark, and burnt earth. Pretty bitter and drying of the palate. Hops do not linger as long as you might expect. Finishes quickly, and lightly. You can pick up on the alcohol. I think the bottle listed the ABV at 7%. IBUs not listed, but taste pretty high (90+ maybe)...

Overall, this is a great brew. I tend to stick towards the maltier, more balanced IPAs. This is not one of them. This is what most people think of and expect when having an IPA. No flaws that I could detect. Ive actually been craving a beer like this lately. Yes, very hoppy, but not overdone. There is also a touch of malt in there that makes me happy. (1,432 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

this brew, poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a large tulip glass, has a clear dark amber color and delightful piney bouquet.

drinking this immediately after a new belgium rampant imperial ipa, one of my favorites, and by comparison this is more bitter and less easy to drink.... Having said that, it is still a very well crafted IPA, and one that I would happily drink again.

in my search for the perfect IPA this one is probably in the top 20, but not in the top 10 (467 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

8.1% ABV, 95 ibu.
A - clear amber (nearly brown), with finger n half finger.
S - piney really piney! caramel, toffee, little honey. zest. wood n earthy.
T - incredibly hoppy!! even more bitter than others who stated over 100ibu. hop juice juz go around the mouth, bit of alcohol n warm up the throat. malt comes late n decent.
O - if u want a really hoppy IPA, this is the one to get. but if u want a summer refreshing IPA, this probably too bold to drink. (457 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -41.3%

I had this in bottle 2 years ago and it tasted much more balanced than just having it currently on tap.
Tastes extremely bitter, reminded me of chinook on steroids. But looking at their site chinook aren't used. Simcoe, columbus, cent and cascade. Whatever the hop schedule was, I don't care for it. Must be a hell of a lot of columbus and cascade. Grapefruit city. Normally bitter beers I can deal with but not enough sweet malt to counter balance for me. Just seemed one dimensional.
One and done for taste buds. Sorry. (523 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

A great beer! I was a little disappoint when there was no Stone IPA at the store. I got this instead, because it is virtually the same thing, except the Green Flash is just a tad more hoppier. Any who this is a great beer... It's got a lot of bite to it. (254 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.9%

As far as Calli IPAs go...this rocks...I use Stone IPA as my benchmark Calli IPA...This is a definite contender...you can smell the hops from the glass, when it is put infront of you...The dry hoppiness contributes to the crisp character....If you are a hop head...this should be on your list. (293 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Nice hazy deep copper-orange pour. Smallish but tenacious creamy/frothy off-whitehead. A little yeast floating around... a very active beer. Lots of grapefruit on the nose; floral. A little yeasty. Reminds me of Skull Coast Maelstrom. More grapefruit zest than Maelstrom. More malt/resiny backbone. Hope we keep getting more west coast brews over here. Yum. (393 characters)

Poured into a pint glass. A half inch head subsided quickly to a quarter inch. Lacing sticks to the glass all the way down. Color is copper/orange. Looks beautiful.

It also smells beautiful. It's like the liquid equivalent of the green sticky-icky. Lots of resiny hops in the nose, almost like smelling a bag of green.

The flavor is that of resiny and piney hops up front, tastes a bit like it smells, then you are hit with the citrus notes in the middle, and some bitterness on the finish. Excellent balance to a great tasting and great smelling IPA. Wow. This is my favorite IPA so far. (592 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass on tap. Hazy orange, light head and little retention.

Copper citrus grapefruit hops in the nose, biscuity malts, dank and some hope spice. Very nice, aromatic IPA.

Good bittering and aromatic hop selection. Nice dry bitterness and a good hop/malt ratio. Touch of minerality. Not very citrusy although there is a nice dank hop presence. Booze is pretty persistent throughout.

Oily dry mouthfeel, good carbonation.

Zestier than a lot of other Socal Ipas. Very well balanced, but the aromatics are not represented as well in the flavor. (563 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a *gasp* shaker pint glass.

Appearance- Large rocky/creamy off-white head. Lasting. Body is clear amber, a huge sediment left in the bottle.

Aroma- Big pine, grapefruit, citrus.

Flavor- More of the same, sweet & smooth. Big bitterness at the finish.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, healthy carbonation.

I was actually reviewing this last week & then discovered that the database was down...not the best review, I know. Just going from my notes here, but I've had this several times bottle & draft. Really almost a benchmark for the west coast style. (558 characters)

Got one of these "to-go" at Yard's at the LINQ. An excellent DIPA. Good feel and tasted great on a hot Vegas night. An easy drinking beer, too, even at 8.1%. (157 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%

Last bottle from the 6 pack so I had to review this beer. I've heard so much positive feedback about this super hoped up beast. I had to try it. (Traveled across the border to Mass just to get it.)

Poured a 12oz. bottle in 16oz.Sierra Nevada glass leaves a beautiful 3/4 inch head.

A-Tremendous color, Nice floaties, Great lacing on the glass.

S-Unbelievable- Super hopey, Great citrus/floral notes.

T- Fantabulous! Tasty malt backbone that is tremendously balanced with it's extreme citrusy piney hopiness.

M- Outstanding! Bitterness lasts slightly longer than other IPA's i've had, which is clearly a good thing.

D- I find this beer to be very drinkable. (That's if you really like hops like I do.)Definitely not a pounder but I could drink this all night.

This is a perfect example of why the
WEST COAST ROCKS! Hopefully this will be available in RI real soon. (873 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Had it on tap at Deep Ellum, served in a pint glass

A - Copper, tawny. Good head laceing is nice head forms a creamy stays the way down.

S - grapefruit, piney, hoppy goodness.

T -malty, first comes the piney taste then the grapefruit backend is all hoppy and hop bitter bite.

M - good body . average carbonation.clean crisp refreshing IPA

D - Don't usually like IPA's but the bitternress is wearing on me and I;m beginning to see the glory of hops. West Coast is a Good IPA. Makes me want to drink more. (510 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a beautiful amber with a head that sticks around a while to chat. Leaves some beautiful lacing on the glass. Before even the first sniff this is an IPA that looks the part. First sniff reveals that this is indeed a west coast IPA, huge hops on the nose. Big pine and citrus aromas. Oh what a wonderful smell. Can I get this as an air freshener for my car? First sip gives a big hop bite, some definite maltiness and some surprisingly tea like flavors. Mouthfeel is pleasant, the appropriate amount of carbonation for this beer. Does not taste too syrupy, does not taste too carbonated. It's the Goldilocks of carbonation, just right.

Overall this is a very solid IPA. Always a pleasure to have it in my tulip. (716 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Deep amber with a good finger of off white head. Nice smelling IPA some sweet malty under notes but this brew is dominated by delicious hops. I’m picking up on heavy pine notes as well as some citrus in the aroma. A nice hoppy flavor and a bit of hop bitterness as is to be expected in a beer like this. The flavor to me is primarily grapefruit with some pine resin more in the aftertaste. These hoppy characteristics are balanced out quite nicely by the solid caramel malt backbone to this brew. This is definitely a hop forward beer though, just the way I like ‘em. A damn solid west coast IPA that goes down surprisingly easy and is quite refreshing considering it is a 7.3% brew. (687 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful double ipa. Poured into tulip glass. 1 finger head, nice orange color. Hops smack you on first smell with pine and citrus notes. Taste is some malt presence first with west coast hops through remainder. Legendary ipa (226 characters)

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.