Join our email list →

Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.10% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,820 | Hads: 7,572
4.86/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a tap into a pint glass at the Mellow Mushroom in Southlake Texas. An IPA lovers' beer! This is the ultimate for an IPA lovers beer as their go-to beer everyday. The citrus aroma signals the brain to get ready to get blown away. Perfect for the IPA connoisseur.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beer many times, and always enjoy it. Just had a very fresh pour and felt inspired to do my first review in several months.

A: Dark golden hay, as you have heard.

S: oh the fresh hops! smells like you just dumped in the hops on a homebrew... amazing how they have kept that balance alive.

T: A very easy and basic malt body. Some hints of caramel and toffee. From the hops you get a lot of citrus and fresh cut grass.

M: creamy/smooth malt hangs on the tongue, while the acids from the hops pull down the sides of the tongue like tanins in a wine.

D: Very drinkable. The fresh cut grass taste from the hops lingers a bit, so if your consuming with food, you would probably go the more bbq route... some spices might conflict, but it would be worth experimenting. Some roasted peppers would be awesome right now... just sayin.

3.41/5  rDev -18.6%

Bottle received in trade from HeadyHops81, poured into a pint glass.

A: Colored between dark golden and light amber, with two finger fluffy white head that faded quickly but gave excellent lacing.

S: Smells like a total pine tree, with hints of citrus.

T: Sadly, this is the kind of IPA that I don't like - the pine flavored one instead of the citrus flavored one. Pine is really all I taste, with a very dry finish.

M: Fairly thin mouthfeel with an extremely dry finish.

D: For a beer that's over 7% ABV, this hides it's alcohol very well. However, for me, due to it's pine taste I probably won't have another of these and will instead trade them away. And considering it's about the same price per 12oz bottle as Hopslam, I'd have Hopslam all day and twice on Sundays over this. Oh well, you never know which IPAs you like until you try them, right?

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

a - vibrant golden copper color with a very nice amount of carbonation. nice fluffy creamy head with a decent pour.

s - sweet, fruity and crisp on the nose.

t - grapefruit, hoppy as all hell (and i mean that in a great way), and very bold finish. a good punch of maltiness as well. very nice balance, but the bitterness from the hops takes is what takes over the aftertaste. kinda planty. almost like i was just eating some weed or something (which makes perfect sense considering its a hoppy ass beer).

m - med - high carbonation in the mouthfeel but the malty aspect kinda calms it down and evens it out.

o - a great decent priced go-to IPA.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Another newcomer. Really amazing hop aroma, especially for a beer that travelled across the country. I'm loving the hops here. Malt character is present, enough. A bit too much carbonation for a perfect mouthfeel. Perhaps a bit of in-bottle fermentation creating this? Anyway, really liking this beer and am impressed by how it carried.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance is burnt orange with excellent lacing, good carbonation and a wispy white head.

Smell is all citrusy american hops. But for the slight malt backbone, I'd be hardpressed to distinguish this beer from a recently cut grapefruit. From cracking the cap to the end of the pour, prepare to be assaulted with citrus.

The taste doesn't belie the smell. Tons of citrusy american hops, but with a more pronounced maltiness and another layer of underlying hop bitterness. It's very well put together.

The bitterness stays with you a bit, which isn't a terrible downfall, but it can be overwhelming- which is why I don't give it such high marks on drinkability.

Overall this beer is a can't miss in the pantheon of west coast ipas and dipas.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

Picked up a six of this at my local store. A superb IPA. This is a crisp IPA, somewhat more dry (and less sugary) than other ales in this category, despite coming in at a nice 7% ABV. The bitter hops takes center stage in this offering and is sharp and spicy. Not too syrupy, which makes this beer quite refreshing and drinkable.

In short, this is a great session IPA. Would definitely drink it again.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: burnt copper color with unfiltered cloudiness. Decent off-white head that fades. Very good lacing all the way down.

S: Floral and citrusy hop smell but not as strong as the flavor suggests.

T: Very good! Strong upfront citrusy flavor with a good caramel malt taste in the middle. Great balance. Slight hop bitterness in the end, but not overpowering.

M: Dances on the tongue and the hop bitterness finish is probably one of the best of this style. Just enough and it does not overpower the rest of the experience.

D: Certainly will enjoy another one tonight, but with this ABV that will be all. Really the only detractor to this one.

Side note: Totally agree with the previous poster's comments about West Coast IPA's having their own sub-category. I think I may be turning into a West Coast IPA snob, which could be a problem on the banking account. Had this on tap (Moe's tavern) as well, and I was worried that the bottle serving type would be a let down. Fortunately, I was wrong, which in my opinion makes this even a better beer. As of right now, this one is my favorite.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Hoppy hop hop hippy hippy don't stop. Hip hip hop, around the hoppy clock.

Pine, citrus, and grapefruit. A classic west coast ipa and delicious if you're in the IPA mood. The bitterness makes it a little less drinkable than desired. However the mouthfeel is great. a perfect lightness for the style.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Reviewed from the draught lines at the Moan and Dove, where this beer has appeared frequently of late.

Appearance: Pours with a huge, two and a half finger head. Bubbling with carbonation, and the head clings to the side of the glass. A little darker than most IPAs.

Smell: Big, bright hop aroma, complimented by citrus fruits.

Taste: Big hop explosion up front, with sustained bitterness. Fresh and crisp in that way. If you're a hop head, this rocks.

Mouthfeel: Probably overwhelming for most palates, as there are only subtle fruit notes and otherwise a lot of bitterness.

Drinkability: Again, this one is for those who adore the Racer 5s and Stone IPAs of the world. I'll usually drink this one last in a session, as you can't taste anything afterwards. But in a good way.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The label reads "Extravagantly Hopped." This is an understatement. The intense pine, and to a lesser degree citrus aroma races out of the neck of the bottle as soon as the cap is lifted.

The beer pours a deep amber color and a sturdy head of half and inch or so crowns the top.

The flavor is intense - crisply bitter.

The carbonation seems to deliver just enough relief from the hop assault to make this beer enjoyable.

The intense flavor signature of this beer pretty much relegates it to one serving per session, for me at least

A - Nice deep copper with tan, dense head. Slight haze (I'm assuming dry hop haze).

S - Great hop aroma. I would swear there was a small dose of English hops in there if I didn't know it was all C hops and domestic varieties. It's wonderfully hoppy without coming across as hop-astringent (if you know what I mean). Malt comes through with the slightest caramel notes.

T - Sweet malt up front, followed immediately by a balancing bitterness that never comes on too strong, but builds nicely as you sip through the glass. I could actually stand a little more pronounced bitterness in the mid-palate.

M - creamy. Great carbonation and the rocky head wasn't lying when it promoted the beer as a full-bodied (but not heavy) delight.

O - As I mentioned, I could have used a little more bitterness sooner. But, overall a very nice IPA, sessionable & deftly balanced. I probably would regret if I did get more IBU's. Nice IPA!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This is one of my favorite IPAs. Maybe this West Coast tag should become a formal sub-style. I've had IPA's that overwhelm with hops with little malt taste before and they didn't work. This one performs majestically. I'm assuming these are Cascade hops in this aromatic flavor blaster? I wish they had two versions of this, one with low alcohol so I could drink several of these at a session. Piney citrusy heaven this one is, at least to me.

Open me up,
Breathe me in.
Drink me once
Drink me again

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

The appearance was a really nice orangish amber, and the smell was distinctly piney. As expected, the citrusey flavors followed very strongly (and tastily!), but this was not as bitter as I was expecting. I don't mean that as a negative, because my surprise was probably what caused my beer to be gone in a flash.

This was an exceptionally tasty, drinkable brew. I am probably a hophead, but a friend who isn't tried mine and agreed with me. Green Flash really has a great malt presence to back this beer up, and it comes through in every taste. The result really took me by surprise, but it was an IPA that brought all of the citrusey, piney taste of an IPA but with an almost sweet profile in the background.

I applaud Green Flash for this slightly different IPA. I will definitely be picking up a quantity of this to continue to enjoy. This is the kind of beer that I could envision sipping on all evening.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From cask ...

The beer poured an orange light brown color with a lacey head that retained well beyond the initial pour. There was a slight cloudiness to the beer, but quite minimal and transparent overall.

The smell was exceptional ... what you'd expect from an IPA. Very fresh on the nose with a grassy pine aroma that you'd expect from a walk in the forest.

The citrus notes came in very strong all the way through from sip to swallow. Grapefruit is the overwhelming flavor, one that I'm not particularly fond of.

This flavor left you with an extremely dry feel in the mouth in terms of the overall finish. I couldn't help but feel parched on the tongue.

The tastes I was not fond of mellowed out after by about the second or third pint; however, the first pint was not easy to drink.

On Night #2 of trying this, I was not able to get past the first pint at all; hence my low score in drinkability.

I'm quite a Hop Head --- but I'm not a fan of grapefruit so it makes it quite difficult for me to appreciate this particular beer despite my love for IPAs.

I'd probably overlook this beer in the future, but would be very interested in trying other beers from this brewery.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Damn good IPA. Nice pour, with turbulence down to the bottom of the glass. Nice head, golden color. The smell of hops was pronounced, but the flavor was total fresh hops. Pretty distinctive. The beer was nicely effervescent and drank a treat. Pity I only had the one bottle. If this were available in my area I'd get it pretty regularly. Thanks to johnfromohio for the bottle.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance:

Solid balanced copper/orange with a 1/4" thin foamy head. Fairly small amount of bubbles for an IPA

Smell:

Very herbal aroma with some softening floral notes

Taste:

Grapefruit hops and a little sweetness from the malts are the most prevalent.

Mouthfeel:

This beer seems to "slide" across the palate. Smooth and fairly dense. It leaves a good bitterness on the tongue

Overall:

Very easy to drink. Opened with a very pleasant aroma and finished with an equally appealing taste. I thought all ingredients were balanced very well. A more than solid IPA

Got one of these "to-go" at Yard's at the LINQ. An excellent DIPA. Good feel and tasted great on a hot Vegas night. An easy drinking beer, too, even at 8.1%.

2.46/5  rDev -41.3%

I had this in bottle 2 years ago and it tasted much more balanced than just having it currently on tap.
Tastes extremely bitter, reminded me of chinook on steroids. But looking at their site chinook aren't used. Simcoe, columbus, cent and cascade. Whatever the hop schedule was, I don't care for it. Must be a hell of a lot of columbus and cascade. Grapefruit city. Normally bitter beers I can deal with but not enough sweet malt to counter balance for me. Just seemed one dimensional.
One and done for taste buds. Sorry.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Crystal clear. Darker end of IPAs in color. Dark honey, to brown in color. Hints of red copper when held up to a light. Nice head that dissipates quickly, nice lacing though. Head remains at the thickness of a half dollar throughout the drinking.

N: Tons of hops on the nose, smells exactly like Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Exactly. Pungent, citrus, grapefruit hops all equally blended together. Some earth and pine on the finish. Surprisingly, the malt actually punches through as it warms. I also smell bread, maybe some rye.

T/B: Medium to light body, a little malty sweetness hiding in there behind the hop wallop! The hops are bitter. The smell is almost deceiving when compared to the bitterness. Starts with the slight malty sweetness and a touch of citrus. Then the hops change straight to pine, tree bark, and burnt earth. Pretty bitter and drying of the palate. Hops do not linger as long as you might expect. Finishes quickly, and lightly. You can pick up on the alcohol. I think the bottle listed the ABV at 7%. IBUs not listed, but taste pretty high (90+ maybe)...

Overall, this is a great brew. I tend to stick towards the maltier, more balanced IPAs. This is not one of them. This is what most people think of and expect when having an IPA. No flaws that I could detect. Ive actually been craving a beer like this lately. Yes, very hoppy, but not overdone. There is also a touch of malt in there that makes me happy.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

this brew, poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a large tulip glass, has a clear dark amber color and delightful piney bouquet.

drinking this immediately after a new belgium rampant imperial ipa, one of my favorites, and by comparison this is more bitter and less easy to drink.... Having said that, it is still a very well crafted IPA, and one that I would happily drink again.

in my search for the perfect IPA this one is probably in the top 20, but not in the top 10

4.23/5  rDev +1%

A great beer! I was a little disappoint when there was no Stone IPA at the store. I got this instead, because it is virtually the same thing, except the Green Flash is just a tad more hoppier. Any who this is a great beer... It's got a lot of bite to it.

4.69/5  rDev +11.9%

As far as Calli IPAs go...this rocks...I use Stone IPA as my benchmark Calli IPA...This is a definite contender...you can smell the hops from the glass, when it is put infront of you...The dry hoppiness contributes to the crisp character....If you are a hop head...this should be on your list.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Nice hazy deep copper-orange pour. Smallish but tenacious creamy/frothy off-whitehead. A little yeast floating around... a very active beer. Lots of grapefruit on the nose; floral. A little yeasty. Reminds me of Skull Coast Maelstrom. More grapefruit zest than Maelstrom. More malt/resiny backbone. Hope we keep getting more west coast brews over here. Yum.

Poured into a pint glass. A half inch head subsided quickly to a quarter inch. Lacing sticks to the glass all the way down. Color is copper/orange. Looks beautiful.

It also smells beautiful. It's like the liquid equivalent of the green sticky-icky. Lots of resiny hops in the nose, almost like smelling a bag of green.

The flavor is that of resiny and piney hops up front, tastes a bit like it smells, then you are hit with the citrus notes in the middle, and some bitterness on the finish. Excellent balance to a great tasting and great smelling IPA. Wow. This is my favorite IPA so far.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.