Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Deep amber/copper pour with no head.

Right off the bat scents of citrus, pine and resin, some malt sweetness assuages my nose's desire to smell.

Bready malts upfront with a hop bitterness that is not harsh but does pack a strong wallop. Complexities abound, but sadly allergies have sabotaged my ability to detect some of the subtler nuances. Nevertheless, the interplay between hop and malt is quite enjoyable.

Mouth is very creamy, and the carbonation lends some nice weight on the tongue. Very drinkable, good bitterness quality that is not astringent in the least. Hey it's not Coors light, but it's still pretty good.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

3.59/5  rDev -14.9%

A few months ago, Untappd started sending me monthly recaps of what I drank. I track a lot of beers, and now look forward to that email. It tells me my favorite style, the number of beers I drank, popular pictures I posted, and more. Last month, my favorite style was IPA. The month before it was stouts, which makes sense… it was the winter! Anyway, I am a hop head (self proclaimed) so I love a good IPA. Some, especially on Twitter, are calling this a double IPA. I mean, the beer packs 95 IBUs. That is BIG for an IPA. I can’t wait to see what this bad boy smells and tastes like.

In the Glass: This is a good looking IPA. It has a thick, fleeting head and the lace just hangs on for dear life. Some of it just sticks to the side of the glass begging to be drank. When I swirl it around in the glass, which I do quite often with beer and wine, the head foams up and leaves a thin layer of frothy white on top. Let’s dig in.

Nose: Whoa… that is a PUNCH of hops. I am pretty sure there is just a pile of hops sitting in the glass waiting to be enjoyed. Holy cow. I love hoppy beers, and when I read this had 95 IBUs I got excited… I guess that is what 95 IBUs smells like!

Flavor: The flavor is NOT what I expected. When I pour n IPA, one that is often called a double IPA, I expect the hoppy nose… which I got. But I also expect some hops on the palate. I get those, don’t get me wrong. But I might as well have just sucked on a pine needle. I am not sure that is a bad thing, but the flavor is not as much hop as it is pine. The flavor is good, but again… not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is good. The beer appears to be thick in the glass, but isn’t on the tongue. It slides down smooth, with a punch of hops and a hint of carbonation. I normally am not that big on bubbles, but lately I have been opening my mind to bubbles. The pine needles hit you about halfway back, and then it leads to a bitter, strong aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is the best part. Well, the smell is the best part. But the aftertaste is nice. It sticks around for a while, and is somewhat dry with a hint of bitterness on the swallow. It has a professional finish… like an IPA that has been around the block a few times. The aftertaste has me longing for the last drop.

This is a good beer. It doesn’t taste like it has 95 IBUs. It smells like it does, but doesn’t taste like it. I could just sit here and smell this all day long. I have never licked a Christmas tree, but I have a feeling it would taste like this beer. Like I said, that isn’t a bad thing. But just not what I expected. The burp is nice, though. Anyway, I am a BIG fan of IPAs, but this one is too outside the box, even for me.

West Coast India Pale Ale - The bottle says: “NA”

3.25/5  rDev -23%

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Left out of fridge about 15 minutes before opening. Pours a wonderful burnt orange hue with a large rocky head. Typical yet wonderful west coast hop aroma. Slightly sweet as it warms. Nice viscous mouthfeel. Drinkability has always been top notch. Have 5 more that may not see tomorrow.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a schooner. No obvious best before date on the bottle.

A - amber with a moderate head that revolves after a few minutes with a fair amount of lacing. Lots of obvious carbonation on the sides of the glass.

S - very heavy pine and juniper and not much else. It's solid!

T - as expected it's got a powerful bitterness that leads primarily with pine, but has a hint of citrus. The initial attack resolves, leaving and enduring seductive hint of bitterness that you just want to keep feeding.

M - moderate carbonation balances out a buttery essence that coats your mouth.

D - even with the supreme IBUs and fairly high alcohol content this is goes down relatively easy.

This is probably my favorite IPA (plus Stone IPA and DFH 90) and is a truly superb beer. I can get it on tap fairly frequently, making it a true joy!

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.