Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros

brandon911, Oct 02, 2012

wo87810, Oct 01, 2012

MikeCactusGordon, Oct 01, 2012
4.39/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours quite dark for an IPA. Rich amber with a thick off-white head.
Smells very pungent. Strong hop smell giving off some earthy pine and citrus smells. The smell makes me crave it.
Strong hop flavor as well. Full bodied and smooth. Grapefruit, pine, and all that good stuff. A nice malt profile as well to balance it (though it is still decidedly hop-forward.)

One of the best IPAs I've had in recent memory. I'll be revisiting this soon. Very glad these guys now distribute in Florida.

Danny1217, Oct 01, 2012

hirliman, Sep 30, 2012

Nage37, Sep 30, 2012

Prestonlegal, Sep 29, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -30.1%

NOTE: I BELIEVE I HAD A BAD POUR BASED ON OTHER REVIEWS. Read the following to hear why.

I don't understand how this beer got anything more than average if it is supposed to taste like the beer I was given last night. I feel like I've had this beer before, and really enjoyed it, which is why I ordered it last night, but something must have happened to the keg or my glass at the restaurant I was at.

A: It came in a short fluted snifter, sorta like a belgian ale glass and the appearance was a cloudy amber, a nice rich color for an IPA. Average off-white head.

S: This is where the biggest issue was: It smelled like caramelized onions. Other scents barely noticeable. It was like someone had rimmed the glass with sweet cooked onions. Sort of buttery too, which is weird. Not much of that fresh hoppy aroma that I was expecting.

T: Nice and hoppy, crisp citrus, but with a good balance of the sweet malts to balance the beer out, but, as a large part of flavor is smell, i couldn't help but feel like I was also eating buttered onion crackers. It was pretty awful. The smell really ruined the beer.

M: A nice combination of a heavy mouth feel, but with the crispness of an IPA. Went down smooth.

O: The smell really ruined this one. I hope it was just a bad glass and not the beer because I remember liking this one. Maybe I'll complain to the restaurant that either someone with onions on their hands handled my beer, or the dishwasher isn't working as well as it should (it's a new restaurant so who knows). Very very strange...

Deingeist, Sep 29, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Four pack from the Conestoga LCBO. Took a bit of hunting to finally track this brew down, but it was well worth it.

Poured into a nonic glass. Slightly hazy caramel amber, with a terrific billowing head that just won't quit. The retention on this is outstanding, as is the sticky lacing that covers the glass from top to bottom. This is one exceptional-looking brew.

Nose is a powerful blend of citrus hops (grapefruit and lemon) and sweet caramel malt. The two dominant scents play off each other nicely, as the brew simultaneously smells bitter and sweet, which is an excellent combination.

A real hopbomb, this. Lip-smackingly puckery with citrus hop bitterness, which is soon countered with a sweet caramel-toffee blast. Finishes long and bitter, with a great citric bitterness lingering on the tongue. A few other spices play into things here - mint, herbal tea being the two I can identify.

Alcohol content is hard to detect, given the influx of sweet and bitter flavours one has to deal with. Creamy, with a bitter puckery finish.

If this is the only Green Flash brew that makes it out this way, I will be severely disappointed, yet happy that I was able to at least give one a try. This was one hoppy brew, and was well worth picking up, despite the higher price point (around $14 for a four pack). Stellar IPA.

JohnnyBarman, Sep 28, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

this is a huge ipa, totally saturated with rich oily hops. its got a wonderful nose of essential hop oils, resins, and other sticky goodness. there is some fruity notes to it beyond just the usual citrus. im picking up sweeter fruit, plums or apples even. it also has that pine pitch sappy nose to it that puts me somewhere in a pacific northwest old growth forest. its lovely really. the flavor is equally exciting. lots of bitter up front, lots of sweet at the end, with a surprising malt balance evening out the middle. the citrus fruit really comes out here, orange peel and grapefruit are the most prevalent. the finish is sweeter, very fresh. feel works well, with a bit more body than is standard, and a thick hop peanut butter taffy-like texture. this is a hophead's dream. affordable and strong and fantastic. one of the better green flash brews out.

StonedTrippin, Sep 28, 2012

guacamole, Sep 28, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Ted, Sep 28, 2012

Lordkrystic, Sep 27, 2012

hollywood_15063, Sep 27, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a mostly clear polished copper color, one finger thick creamy off-white foam, dense spray of lace on the glass. Smell: floral, light grapefruit, spruce and earth beneath, with a toffee back. Taste: grapefruit, orange citrus, pine, caramel, biscuit. Big hop flavors. Creamy feel, medium bodied with palate coating bitterness and a slightly syrupy kick to the finish. Quite enjoyable. Bottled 8/13/2012.

babaracas, Sep 27, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

MagillaGriller, Sep 27, 2012

BrewBear, Sep 26, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +18%

This brew poured a cloudy orange color with some sediment floating in it. The head was a full two fingers and pure white. It dissipated relatively quickly, leaving mild lacing on the glass. On the nose, I got lots of fresh hoppy goodness with some citrus as well. This smelled like something that I’m really going to like. On the first sip, I get some definite hops with grapefruit flavors, but more intense than I expected. It was also a bit on the oily side towards the end. Pine came up next. Hops definitely overwhelm the palate and the malt gets lost, which is totally fine by me. The moderate carbonation really went well with the flavors of the beer. The finish lingered for awhile with the sticky, grapefruit flavors. Also, the booze was really well hidden in the brew. I could put away a few of these without any problem. I would definitely have this again. This is a brew that really helped my hop head craving.

mgironta, Sep 26, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

WOW !!.... This brewery has done it again.... This is truly an amazing I.P.A... Everything you want as a "hop-head".... As I pour a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, a nice healthy head forms over a hazy dark orange/amber colored brew....

I take a whiff, and scents of deep sour citrus hit the nose initially.... Like that of grapefruit, lemon, and orange.... There's also malty caramel notes to it....

I sip on it awhile, and I get an upfront super hoppy flavor followed by grapefruit, orange, and a some bitterness....

I'd say it's a medium to full bodied brew that's quite dry on the finish, but what more would you expect from a wonderful I.P.A...

Overall, I must say (as a hop-head) that the Green Flash Brewery continues to impress.

DannyHartman, Sep 26, 2012

reviticus, Sep 26, 2012

brett486, Sep 25, 2012

BeerTaster727, Sep 25, 2012
Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.