Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic pint. Big two inch off-cream colored head that sticks around for quite awhile before fading in rocky clumps. Piney, resinous hop aroma, with an citrus underlay. Nice clear deep orange color.
Wow, that's nice. Sharp on the tip, and rolls around to find the corners of your mouth, laying in for the hop bite. Nice full body, and the malt undertone is the perfect counterpart for the hop bitterness. In fact, the malt flavor is almost an afterthought, with piney hops resonating far beyond whatever malt sweetness may lie underneath.
As it warms I get the fleeting biscuit flavor that supports the bite. It's weird, I want to call it "unbalanced", but it's so delicious I can't. Overall a great beer, and definitely one to add to the rotation.

4.39/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Somewhat cloudy, dirty-looking golden orange with lots of sediment. Off-white head, a little bit of lacing.

S: Great layered hoppy flavors: citrus, grapefruit, pine, earthy flavors, a little malty sweetness showing through as well.

T/M: Really hop-forward and delicious. Multiple hop characters layer and compete, with lots of earthy pine leading the way, offset by a good amount of citrus and grapefruit. The pine then takes over fully on the way down, leaving a dry, lingering bitterness.

O: A great, strong, hop-heavy IPA with a lot going on.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

can not say enough about this beer , just starting to get this beer here in maine, smells citrus and hoppy, smooth real balanced taste, try the palate wreaker, little more of a bitter taste with the sister beer, will have this beer again,keep this one in your frig.

3.59/5  rDev -14.9%

A few months ago, Untappd started sending me monthly recaps of what I drank. I track a lot of beers, and now look forward to that email. It tells me my favorite style, the number of beers I drank, popular pictures I posted, and more. Last month, my favorite style was IPA. The month before it was stouts, which makes sense… it was the winter! Anyway, I am a hop head (self proclaimed) so I love a good IPA. Some, especially on Twitter, are calling this a double IPA. I mean, the beer packs 95 IBUs. That is BIG for an IPA. I can’t wait to see what this bad boy smells and tastes like.

In the Glass: This is a good looking IPA. It has a thick, fleeting head and the lace just hangs on for dear life. Some of it just sticks to the side of the glass begging to be drank. When I swirl it around in the glass, which I do quite often with beer and wine, the head foams up and leaves a thin layer of frothy white on top. Let’s dig in.

Nose: Whoa… that is a PUNCH of hops. I am pretty sure there is just a pile of hops sitting in the glass waiting to be enjoyed. Holy cow. I love hoppy beers, and when I read this had 95 IBUs I got excited… I guess that is what 95 IBUs smells like!

Flavor: The flavor is NOT what I expected. When I pour n IPA, one that is often called a double IPA, I expect the hoppy nose… which I got. But I also expect some hops on the palate. I get those, don’t get me wrong. But I might as well have just sucked on a pine needle. I am not sure that is a bad thing, but the flavor is not as much hop as it is pine. The flavor is good, but again… not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is good. The beer appears to be thick in the glass, but isn’t on the tongue. It slides down smooth, with a punch of hops and a hint of carbonation. I normally am not that big on bubbles, but lately I have been opening my mind to bubbles. The pine needles hit you about halfway back, and then it leads to a bitter, strong aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is the best part. Well, the smell is the best part. But the aftertaste is nice. It sticks around for a while, and is somewhat dry with a hint of bitterness on the swallow. It has a professional finish… like an IPA that has been around the block a few times. The aftertaste has me longing for the last drop.

This is a good beer. It doesn’t taste like it has 95 IBUs. It smells like it does, but doesn’t taste like it. I could just sit here and smell this all day long. I have never licked a Christmas tree, but I have a feeling it would taste like this beer. Like I said, that isn’t a bad thing. But just not what I expected. The burp is nice, though. Anyway, I am a BIG fan of IPAs, but this one is too outside the box, even for me.

West Coast India Pale Ale - The bottle says: “NA”

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a crystal clear dark golden orange, almost copper in color. The beer has a finger tall creamy beige head that reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface with some much thicker patches and a very thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant lacing is observed.

S: There is a fairly strong hop aroma to this beer with the grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops really standing out. There is a very light earthy hop presence as well.

T: Some very light hints of caramel malt sweetness upfront but then the grapefruit and citrus hop flavors. There is a moderate amount of bitterness in this beer.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp with some dryness in the finish.

O: This beer is quite tasty and definitely one I would like to try again. This beer has an amazing smell and looks very inviting.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer looks really pretty. They used some darker caramel malts in this one as the head is very creamy in appearance and color rather than white.

It smells like some sweet fruits and malts, earthy, pine, some sort of hop-funk.

The taste follows very much the same, smooth, balanced hops and malt, bitterness perfectly nit with that unique funky,earthy hop flavor, awesome.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a deep amber with a two finger head that receded slowly into a thick light, sandy-colored cap and thick, heavy lacing. Pungent flowers, grass, and resin were very evident up front in the nose. A splash of lemon, or other citrus was detected in the background. A slight tinge of phenol was up front but was soon blown away by the hop wash! Medium-bodied with I'd rate lower than average carbonation. It did have a lingering hoppy aftertaste. Overall, a very, very good beer. If you like hops, it'll be one you'll like!

RB!

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Aggressive pour yields a slightly hazy deep copper brew with a solid 2 finger ecru head that lingers, leaving sticky lacing.

Aroma is dominated by citrus and pine, with a background of bready, toasted malt. Grapefruit and tangerine are accompanied by a slightly nutty finish.

A fair amount of bready malt serves as a substantial base for the diverse hop profile. Pine and resin are undertones throughout the sip until the fairly bitter finish. Grapefruit and tangerine add complexity. Floral hops emerge as it warms.

Body is moderate with moderate carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

Very good example of the style, bitter dominant, as indicated by the name. Characterful enough to merit great beer status.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.