Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,785 | Hads: 7,360
3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Normally, I'm a fan of the DIPA style. This one seems a bit unbalanced, which could because we're trying it literally on it's Best By date of 3/15/15. (151 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look-Color is a crystal clear amber, lots of bubbles in the beer, pours two fingers of white head that leaves wonderful lacing as it dissipates.
Smell- Aroma is actually pretty boozy, some pine oil and tropical fruit notes in there too.
Taste-Very fruity, apples, pears, some citrus notes, nice kick of pine, just slight touch of bitterness in the finish.
Feel- super juicy, creamy, mediium carbonation.
Overall- very good beer, and well named, an excellent representative of the style. (486 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - great copper sunburst, slightly opaque, creamy head

Aroma - Chunky bitterness, grapefruit and pine, very little detectable malt

Mouthfeel - Very bitter, astringent, feels like the enamel on my teeth is coming off

Taste - Bitterness dominates- grapefruit zest and candied bitter orange peel. After a few sips you get a very slight toasted malt character.

Residual - bitterness lingers for a solid 5 minutes. Does go down smooth though

Really solid beer. For an 8% beer it went down way too easy. All hops with just enough maltiness to keep you interested. My only gripe is that the bitterness was a little much... Wish it was dialed back to a 7 or 8 instead of 11.

Also- I tried the old version a long time ago before I knew what I was doing so I cannot make a comparison between the 2 (805 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Amber color with an off white thick head that resists dissipation
S-Hop forward aroma with citrus and mango notes, but the malt also comes through
T-Sweetness...with an after-bitterness that lingers, citrus up front and piney at the back
M-Good carbonation, medium to low if anything
O-Excellent IPA, definite west coast reflection, highly recommend. (352 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle.
Appearance: Orange. Mostly clear with a very slight haze. Thick foamy head.
Smell: mango. Peach. Lemon.
Taste: herbal hops. Bready malts. Citrus hop flavor. Pine trees. Peppery aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: medium carbonation. Medium body. Dry.
Overall: great ipa. Balanced well. There is a lot going on with the hop profile, but I like it. (360 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful double ipa. Poured into tulip glass. 1 finger head, nice orange color. Hops smack you on first smell with pine and citrus notes. Taste is some malt presence first with west coast hops through remainder. Legendary ipa (226 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I really want to like Green Flash hop-centric beers. They opened their East Coast location close to me, which is exciting for a simple Virginia boy. I like IPAs and they make several IPAs.I love DIPAs and this is one of those! Sadly, this one, like their Cedar Plank, just doesn't do it for me. There is something about the hops profile that doesn't jive with my taste. This beer passes the look test with flying colors with a thick head that makes me wish I was born a woman. Wait, what? Smells the part, too. But then it hits my tongue and I'm underwhelmed. Bummer. (567 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from bottle into nonic pint. Hazy copper-orange in color with a one-finger white head that quickly dissipates, but sticks nicely. The aroma is immediately hoppy with overwhelming piney resins and citrus. Hints of mint, leaves, and toasted grain come out upon warming. Flavors are of strong citrus juice and grapefruit bitterness followed by some floral undertones. This beer is full-bodied, with an oily, creamy texture, soft carbonation, and a long bitter finish. (471 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I've been heavy on the double IPAs as of late, and although I've enjoyed a green flash west coast IPA previously, the one I had last night was simply astounding. (161 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Perfect. This is perfect. It is a beautiful amber. The head went away quickly, but the lace was decent enough. The smell delivers the goods: floral, citrus, pine, honey. The taste is resiny and bitter, and leaves a great bitter aftertaste. It packs about the same characteristics as the smell. I would absolutely get this again. (329 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Across the board, this is an awesome beer. It might not be perfect, but its about as good a beer as I can think of off hand in its class: super hoppy IPA. What sets it apart from the others is real authentic, raw malty character. It tastes like malts smell and taste before they get made into beer - how they consistently lock in all that goodness is incredible. I successfully brew at this quality only once in a great while. So, I'm glad I can always buy this to measure my efforts against a standard.

What could make this better? There's nothing to complain about here, but maybe the head could be more rocky, the flavor could have a touch more booziness. I just hesitate to pass out the 5's when there are so few beers in this style to compare this too. It's worlds better than DFH 90min, better than Double Jack and I put this ahead of Ruination too. (864 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Perfect orange hue color with perfect white head.
S- you betcha! Can't get much better. Citrus juicy hop.. Mega citrus.
T- Perfect example of West Coast IPA. The nose filled with resin and hop. Bitter lingers.
F- Alright, great hoppyness has a downfall with mouthfeel, but the burn makes you forget.
O- Green Flash continues to amaze me! Just good slap you in the face hop with continued bitterness that satisfies. (424 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%

It took me way too long to log this go to, readily available, great beer. 22 oz bottle best by 03/18/15 poured into a stemmed glass, new 2014 logo, I assume the recipe is the same from over the years. Classic example of a true west coast ipa. (244 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

A pretty good IPA overall. It has a nice piney smell and a smooth amber look to it but I found the taste to be a little bit off from some others I have had. I assume that I may have been spoiled by the Green Flash Imperial IPA that I had the night before (excellent stuff there). I'd drink this beer again but not actively pursue it. (335 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into Pilsner glass.
A: Pours a golden yellow with high carbonation producing a 2 inch bubbly white head. Good retention as the carbonation jets continue to fuel the head. Nice lacing too.
S: Sharp and fresh citrus (grapefruit and passionfruit) with toasted cracker malt. Straight forward but good.
T: The citrus and malt notes are the same in quality as in the aroma, but the balance is spot on (aroma was much more hop dominated...as it should be).
M: A highlight of the brew--excellent balance of fresh and bitter hops with lightly toasted malt. Nice lingering on the palate.
D: An excellent example of style. Not complex, but the perfect balance makes up for it. Nicely refreshing. (709 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I am a fan of Double IPAs and have drank many. But I found this beer had an unusual harsh and abrasive bitterness with very little balance. Just not my cup of tea really. (170 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Unfortunately no bottled on date, but says best by 4/23/15. That's about as fresh as you'll find Green Flash in New Mexico these days.

Lovely frothy head and sticky lace shine in the snifter in which this is poured. There's a creamy look to the white head. Carbonation trickles upwards through the hazy amber body and a light blonde color glows towards the base of the glass.

Massive aromas flood from the snifter and even at a distance I catch piney, resinous, floral and citrusy notes. Sticking my nose in the glass, juicy resinous are more dominant and urge me to sip. I'll oblige.

There's not so much diversity hitting my tongue as was hitting my nose, as this seems more confined to pine, resin and a biscuity sweet flavor. Subsequent sips bring out a tad of fruit flavor like pineapple and citrus, but it's might subtle. I enjoy how this brew tastes, but its aroma set the bar a bit higher than the taste could achieve.

The bottle says this brew is 95 IBUs, but it seems other beers with more IBUs aren't half as bitter. This is a bitter beast/bomb almost from start to finish, with light sweetness smoothing things out initially but it ends aggressively and almost harshly. This would turn off a lot of newbs for sure. The carbonation level is mellow enough that it doesn't contribute to the bitter harshness and I'm thankful for this because otherwise it could be even harder to sip. Occasionally I get some mellow fruitiness that is really enjoyable, so this isn't a complete palate attack.

I suppose some hop heads can really get down to this, but I find it a little over the top. I don't think I'd drink too many of these by choice, but I'd certainly never turn it down. (1,691 characters)

4.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Green Flash 'West Coast IPA' @ 8.1% , served from a 4pack of 12fl oz bottles purchased for $12
A-pour is gold from the bottle to a amber in the glass with a medium size off-white head leaving a streaky lace along the pint
S-wow , extravagantly hopped with (simcoe , columbus , cascade , centennial & citra) double wow
T-big tasty dbl IPA , piney , with a dry finish
MF-lots of carbonation , big full body
Ov-good beer , almost great , so much better than SN Hoptimum , not quite as good as Lagunitas Sucks
prost LampertLand (525 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed a few GF West Coast IPAs this weekend at Dogwood Tavern in Falls Church, VA. On draft, pours a bright clear mid amber ( I would estimate 9SRM). Slightly off white head which laced nicely down the glass. Aroma was of Piney, Citrus, Floral. Not overly bitter but a big hop finish. I really found this beer to be quite good. (331 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured pint at the brewery. San Diego west coast style IPA. Bottom line, if this is the style you like, you can't go wrong with this beer. All look, smell, taste notes are classic west coast IPA...fresh hop citrus, clean bitterness, overall delicious. Tough to decide between going to Green Flash and Iron Fist every time I visit San Diego. (344 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I get very little on the nose, some faint citrus. I get a good citrus taste up front. The finish wrecks it for me, very bitter with a soapy aftertaste. (153 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Opaque golden with a thick, off-white one-finger head that hangs out a while before thinning out to foamy bubbles. Soapy lacing.

S: Grapefruit and mangoes. A citrus knockout. Then comes the well balanced malts, with a bready note.

T: A super-smooth cascade of big, juicy citrus notes, following the nose. Extremely drinkable with the 8.1%, that doesn't kick in until it's too late. These west coast hops are marvelous. Almost no bitterness. So well balanced.

M: Medium to heavy with medium, bubbly carbonation. A semi-dry finish.

O: One of my new favorites in the IPA category. An IPA anyone will enjoy, even my wife. (668 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a beautiful Double IPA, crystal clear golden with an off-white head, you can read through this beer. Lacing but not heavy. Smell of pine and faint malt. Taste of hops, hops, hops - pine like. Not a palate wrecker but I wouldn't recommend tasting other brews without a cleanse. Proper IPA carbonation and bitters giving a nice bite (343 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: 12oz bottle poured into a snifter glass. Beautiful Amber red murky body that glows great vigorously into the glass only to leave less than 1/4 finger of head that dissipates to minimal lacing

Smell: smells great plenty of hop action here. Not a fan of malts but can say that what malts I do smell is minimal. Smells like I'm in for a treat being I'm an hop advocate.

Taste: Pretty beautiful start. Ful of piney, earthy, and citrusy hops followed by a fresh pine hop that fornicated with a mild sweet malt. Probably the most well rounded IPA I have had especially given its called a DIPA.

Feel: Pretty light although a tad bit of slick oil touch. Very shocking how light and smooth it is for the ABV

Overall:this that's is not my preference as I like less malt and strong hops. But respect to the brewers for making such a smooth and well rounded beer. A great high end brew to establish your respect for IPA's until you find your sub niche balance of hop to malt ratio (984 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Draft; poured a nice, clear amber with ample head and moderate lacing. Smell was pronounced, mostly hops but with a mix of maltiness. This beer is a hop bomb, which I'm not complaining about, but it just didn't give me as much of a balanced feel as I'd like so I have to give a slight knock on taste. Mouthfeel was pleasant; medium-bodied and easily drinkable. (360 characters)

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.