Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
jbertsch

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Hazy burnt orange in color. Frothy off-white head.

Aroma: Straight hop freshness. Faint caramel malt in the back for balance.

Taste: All hops. Bright. Bitter, but not overwhelming so.

Mouthfeel: Hops with great texture....a little chewy.

Drinkability: Good...at a slow-moderate pace.

Paired VERY well with some spicy chilli.

01-13-2011 01:22:46 | More by jbertsch
Mora2000

4.43/5  rDev +5%

No bottling date, but the bottle is one of the newer Green Flash bottles so the beer cannot be too old.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is very nice and is dominated by hops. I get a lot of pine and orange notes in the aroma.

The flavor is also very nice. I get a lot of pine and grapefruit notes. There is also some nice bread notes in the flavor, but the beer is still dominated by the hops. Medium bitterness and very drinkable.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

One of my favorite IPAs, I just wish they would start dating the bottle so I could buy it, as I don't buy IPAs that don't have bottled on dates.

01-11-2011 03:44:11 | More by Mora2000
Fikash

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

This exceptional beer made its way into my tummy as a Christmas gift from a friend, a four-pack of 12-oz goodness.

The appearance is absolutely inviting: a deep orange color with a frothy, cream colored head that stays extremely well and clings to the walls of my glass as I drink. This beer appears unfiltered. It's murky and I spy a bunch of little floaties in the glass, but I never hold that against a delicious beer.

The smell is very strong and the hop presence is almost intimidating. I'm a hophead, so a whiff of this stuff is heaven.

I get a lot of grapefruit/citrus flavors. This beer is extremely bitter, so beware. I also get an ester kick at the end. This is a taste you carry around with you for a while after your sip.

Medium body, I love the soft carbonation.

I love to take my time with this beer and savor each gulp. Two of these would probably be enough to finish the evening for me with a smile.

01-11-2011 00:15:38 | More by Fikash
GarthDanielson

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass. The beer is a nice, vibrant copper color that pours with a quarter-inch head that quickly dissipates. The beer has citrus and flowery notes on the nose, with hints of malt similar to an Amber. Very low key hops and spice notes also present, if you smell deeply. The beer has the full bodied flavor of malt to set the foundation, with outcroppings of hops tastes throughout. The beer is very round and robust in mouth, with a sour finish. Crisp hops notes are also present in the aftertaste.

01-10-2011 00:16:44 | More by GarthDanielson
r0nyn

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a translucent orange amber color that's really quite pretty. Little half inch off-white head that leaves some loose, spotty lacing. Smell is full of sweet floral notes along with some citrus rind and definite grapefruit. Hops and a little bit of pine round things out.

Taste starts off with a kick of bitterness that permeates the entire flavor experience. Really hop-forward with a lot of mouth-puckeryness. There's citrusy notes of lemon and orange peel, along with the grapefruit from the nose, but they're hidden behind the dominant bittering character. Just a tiny bit of maltiness. Definitely one of the more mouth-assaulting IPAs I've had. Mouthfeel is crisp and clean, with just a little carbonation to provide some effervescence.

Drinkability is fairly good. It's pretty bitter and while that doesn't usually translate well with me, there's still some complexity behind all of it that I can appreciate the beer. Perhaps if it were a bit more balanced. Nevertheless, a solid IPA.

01-08-2011 06:16:22 | More by r0nyn
sitarist

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a sunset orange with a thick off white head. The head falls to a patchy top coating that leaves lots of lacing. There are a lot of fine particles floating around.

This beer smells wonderful. It is herbal with hints of lemon, tropical fruits, Buddha kush, grapefruit, perfume, and pine. The aromas jump up my nostrils tickling my senses and brain.

I taste grapefruit peels, lemon peels, black tea,Buddha kush, hints of tropical fruit, and sourdough-pretzels.

The mouthfeel is astringent and creamy. It coats my tongue with hop-napalm.

Bitter yes, but also highly drinkable. This beer seems to disappear right before my eyes.

01-07-2011 04:03:42 | More by sitarist
JLeege

3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance- On draft poured into a tulip. Pours a clear bright orange color with a two finger creamy head. Good head retention and a solid wall of lace down the side of the glass!

Smell- Floral and pine hops mostly, some citrus and grass.

Taste- Very hop forward, a small malt backbone, but not much to speak of. Incredibly bitter and dry, this is not bad, but could use some balance for my taste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation. Again extremely bitter.

Overall- This is good, but would not desire more than one in a sitting. This has got to be the most straight "bitter" beer I have ever had.

01-06-2011 05:32:59 | More by JLeege
gthornton

4.6/5  rDev +9%

I've had this beer many times, and always enjoy it. Just had a very fresh pour and felt inspired to do my first review in several months.

A: Dark golden hay, as you have heard.

S: oh the fresh hops! smells like you just dumped in the hops on a homebrew... amazing how they have kept that balance alive.

T: A very easy and basic malt body. Some hints of caramel and toffee. From the hops you get a lot of citrus and fresh cut grass.

M: creamy/smooth malt hangs on the tongue, while the acids from the hops pull down the sides of the tongue like tanins in a wine.

D: Very drinkable. The fresh cut grass taste from the hops lingers a bit, so if your consuming with food, you would probably go the more bbq route... some spices might conflict, but it would be worth experimenting. Some roasted peppers would be awesome right now... just sayin.

01-05-2011 22:19:59 | More by gthornton
AdamBear

4.6/5  rDev +9%

A-cloudy, dark gold with a lot of cream colored head

S-very hoppy and very citrusy, a good strength

T-oh my, initial reaction is wow! hits with amazingly citrusy hop character that is slightly creamy and perfectly balanced. ends with a great barley and hops flavor. bitterness is present but just perfect. this is an amazing, world class IPA.

M-great creamy, medium carbonation with a slightly dry mouthfeel

D-a fantastic IPA that i will search out and tell my friends about. the taste stays and the abv is tame. i can't wait to have it again.

01-05-2011 18:54:14 | More by AdamBear
hopshopshops

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

My second review. For what its' worth, my first was the SN Torpedo--my other drink of choice.

This is simply a fantastic drink. I was standing at the back of Taylor's market here in Sac town, with a gal ponderin' her purchase next to me. I grabbed a six'er of Torpedos and she grabbed this (still a six'er at the time). We chatted at length, were joined by two others, and had an IPA fanfest as she described it.

By her advice, my next purchase was a six'er of these, and boy was I not disappointed. What a great beer! As advertised, this truly embodies the West Coast taste--hoppy--that 3 C's hops taste that is fresh, fruity, tart, bitter and fresh. Clearly, a great summer/spring beer (nothing wrong during Fall/winter though). The truly distinguishing characteristic is the tartness (some say grapefruit taste).

While some like IPA's due to the ramped up IBU's--and count me as one, this one should have a ITU (international tartness) rating as this is about as close to the mixed drink, Greyhound (Gin and grapefruit), as a beer can get.

I vary this with Torpedo's as my daily brew, although the Torpedo is my main standby. Great body, nice alcohol masking, nice finish, with a touch of malt sweetness to balance the bitterness and tartness. Maybe a wee bit more malt would make this a beer more apropo to those times a guzzlin' like a super bowl gathering (well, along with the old six'er price), but as is, when sitting down for a delectable beer or two, very, very hard to beat as is.

01-04-2011 21:49:56 | More by hopshopshops
mirish72

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Finally broke down and picked this up after being turned off by the high price for so long. While definitely pricey, it is a great beer and was worth it.

Obviously the first thing you notice is the incredible hop aroma, this thing is a hop bomb in the best sense of the phrase. It pours amber, almost a sticky red with great lacing and an impressive head. Lots of piney, citrus, grapefruit aroma and taste. It has a kick at over 7% ABV, not sure how session able it is, but you can definitely have a few at a sitting.

The fact that I am getting the beer after it has been shipped from the west coast and it is still so good and tasty makes me wonder what it would be like to try fresh in So Cal. A great beer, one of the best IPA's I have ever had.

01-02-2011 23:10:37 | More by mirish72
HopDiggityDawg

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Smell - very piney, nice nose
taste - Piney, grapefruit, some grass
Mouth feel - dry hops tingle on your tongue and gums stays and stays buy does not wear out it's welcome
sessionable if spaced out.

To me there is a very small malt hint, this brew could stand a very small addition of malt to balance the super aggressive hops, or maybe this is the combo they were looking for with this offering. Regardless the insane hops are very much appreciated and well thought out. You can tell that this beer was engineered to appeal to real hop heads and was not just thrown together with random hops just to push IBU's.
Green Flash does not mess around.

01-02-2011 02:56:06 | More by HopDiggityDawg
imagese

4.22/5  rDev 0%

A- cloudy golden orange with a one finger head and moderate lacing.

S- SUPER FUNK! Grapefruit, pine, and a gym sock that was buried in dirt under a bed a daisies... but in a GOOD way!

T- Super bitter grapefruit rind followed by some floral/funky bitterness. I don't really notice much in the way of malts.

M- Thick, tingly, and bitterness that doesn't want to go away... YUM

D- even as big of a hophead as I am, one, and I'm done. I could easily drink more, but this beer is just all over the place. I prefer their Imperial or Palate Wrecker. Much more controlled beers

Always pass this up on tap, but I may need to give it a whirl. With no bottling dates, I may be getting old bottles, or worse, mishandled bottles.

01-02-2011 00:29:27 | More by imagese
depechemode1983

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Pale cloudy amber in color. Nice thick, rocky off-white head with excellent retention. Plenty of lacing to go around. There is floating debris. I Don't know if that's normal for this beer.

S - In the nose you immediately get fresh piney hops and lots of it. Although the hops are very aromatic the malt comes through nicely in the background sweetening it up a bit and leaving a pleasant grassy character.

T - Tons of piney hops up front that devastate the palate with bitterness. In a good way. The malts also seem to be playing their part well to balance it all out.

M - A tad light bodied. Sort of thin. Carbonation is good though.

D/N - Pretty drinkable stuff here. Could easily relax and drink this beer through the night. Although Im not sure the price is right for this one.

01-01-2011 22:43:46 | More by depechemode1983
drtth

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a lightly hazed golden orange color with a 1 ½" frothy off-white head that recedes slowly and leaves rings, patches, lets and speckles of lacing. Though out most of the beer the head persists and leaves sheets of lacing, some of which turn into closely scattered small speckles.

Smell: The aroma is filled with grapefruit and fresh pine with some pineapple and flowery and even some catty notes. There is a bit of caramel in the background.

Taste: The flavors are mostly all hops with just enough caramel from the malt backbone to carry them along to the finish without letting them create a tongue rasping bite. As expected from the nose, the grapefruit and citrus zest dominate the hops but the pine and resin get to eventually join in the show.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is full to medium bodied and crisp with adequate carbonation. The pine and resin finish is long and dry and leaves one wanting another sip.

Drinkability: This was a nicely drinkable beer which I enjoyed sipping. I'll certainly be putting this one on my list to have again in the future.

01-01-2011 21:10:45 | More by drtth
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This is my favorite IPA going. Poured 12 oz bottle into my 13 oz tulip glass. A very hazey, bright orange, with a 2 inch white head, that is sticky as any IPA I have had. Lacing hangs out for the beers duration. The smell is piney, grapefruit, with a hint of a toffee. This is a very powerful, hops forward beer. The 95 IBU's were used to perfection. Even being two months old, the hops have held up very well. The mouthfeel is big for a IPA, with plenty of life. I know people say there are better IPA's around, but I have yet to have one!

01-01-2011 19:18:14 | More by SawDog505
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

12 bottle poured into a SA Perfect Pint glass

A: Very gentle pour forms a 2 finger bubbly head that slowly dissipates, light orange, hazy with some little chunks in suspension. Leaves great lacing.

S: A lot of citrus; grapefruit, orange, lemon, maybe apricot. Behind it is pine/wood. Sweet caramel malt and some earthy and floral aromas.

T: Has a very bitter pine/earthy hop bite followed by citrus and a little floral hops. There's a little sweetness there but not a lot (overpowering sweetness can be a huge turnoff for me), just enough to help balance out the bitterness and add depth. Citrus flavors don't seem as bold as the nose suggested. Finish is bitter, mostly pine (a little citrus), and a tiny bit of sweetness. Puckering (not quite on the Ruination IPA level though). Has a bit of a peppery finish and a little warming.

M: Medium to high crisp carbonation, just about full body, unfiltered with little bits in suspension (though not really noticeable on the palate). Very chewy, sticky, and bitter. Fantastic.

D: The bitterness and peppery finish don't help this beer in the drinkability part, but as long as it isn't obtrusive, I won't care all that much. This is tasty, simply as that.

01-01-2011 06:49:15 | More by Satchboogie
wvsabbath

West Virginia

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Burnt orange, yellowish tan with a monster 4 inch creamy head. Lots of lacing and head would not die!

Smell - Piney strong hops, grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, some malts and spices. Yeast and some minor alcohol is present

Taste - Well now, this was a nice surprize. Nice piney hoppy beer with some nice malt balance. Really hoppy and almost enough to be a imperial ipa. Hops are strong, malts are sweet, and the spices add some bitterness making it a kick in the mouth.

Mouthfeel - Its bitter and coats mouth with wonderful hop goodness. Its not a palette crusher and the alcohol is masked very well. You will need a glass of water or some pungent strong cheese after this beer if you want to drink something weaker like a wheat beer.

Drinkabilty - I would say this is really high since its just over 7% and so tasty. I could handle 3-4 of these over a period of time and be satisfied (and a little buzzed). This just became a top 10 ipa for me, hopheads check this one out.

12-29-2010 09:32:51 | More by wvsabbath
Lothore

3.63/5  rDev -14%

A- Pours a cloudy tangerine color with a nice, fluffy, white head.

S- Light scent of piney hops.

T- Light wheaty malt, moves into a wave of pine and a bit of an aftertaste.

M- Medium bodied with decent carbonation.

D- For the price the four pack goes for there are better IPAs out there.

12-27-2010 07:22:34 | More by Lothore
dubinsky

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

I don't know how this one has missed being reviewed by me, cause its one of my go to IPA's. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruges glass.

Poured from a 12 oz. glass bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A - Pours a nice orange amber with a one finger foamy off-white head, sticking to the glass in a lacy pattern.

S - This is one of the piniest IPA's I've smelled, but its extremely well balanced with lots of citrusy hop notes, mostly grapefruit, with some sweet maltiness present.

T - The taste is exactly like the smell. Pine trees, resin, citrus balanced by a great malt flavor. Super delicious, and if i am in the mood for the piney flavor profile, this is the best in its class.

M - Thin to medium bodied with great carbonation. Very typical to the style

D - This is an incredibly drinkable IPA that is a hop heads dream come true.

This is easily one of my favorite IPA's but in the off chance that GF is reading this review, please go back to the old format of the six pack. I hate the thought of paying more money for less beer. Its a great beer, but there are others just as good. I will buy it again, but it will not be as regular as it once was.

12-27-2010 04:54:35 | More by dubinsky
Anaz

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

I've passed this one by far too long. Huge fluffy white head when poured into a Duvel tulip, slightly hazy burnt orange color really looks inviting. The sharp piney aromas are really nice, with grapefruit zest and spicy overtones but hardly any malt aromas, just a bare breadiness.

This is one hell of a hop bomb for single IPA. Floral, citrus hops come forward strong and clear with a toasted bread maltiness making a brief appearance before spicier hops shove it out of the way. Long finish, with a very complex hop character.

Ever so slightly syrupy, almost delicate carbonation, and sharp bitterness make for a very enjoyable sip that. I don't find this very quaffable, there is too much going on with too much intensity, but this is still a joy to drink.

12-25-2010 03:13:50 | More by Anaz
BucBasil

South Carolina

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a large mug.

A: The beer is a light amber color with an offwhite head that is 1.5 fingers with ok retention.

S: All hops and not much balance. Fuity/grapefruit dominates with hints of pine. Subtle bready malt somewhere in the background.

T: Again, all hops. Mostly piney this time. Not much else in there. Very sticky sort of sensation like dinking the sap of a pine tree in liquid form. Very bitter. Later there is a more sweet note of citrus rind. Not much balance in there, but somewhat refreshing.

Notes: This is an all out hop attack on the taste buds but oddly the lack of balance doesn't take away as much as I would normally think. Pretty good for a straight up hop bomb.

12-24-2010 08:49:50 | More by BucBasil
mdfb79

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

From 12/21/10 notes. Hat on tap at Rattle n Hum in NYC last night.

a - Pours an amber color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bitter, citrus hops, lemon, grapefruit, light pine, and floral hops. Pretty nice.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, grapefruit, pine, and fruity malts. Big bitterness up front.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, it has a big bitter kick up front, followed by a smooth body.

d - A pretty nice IPA. I enjoyed the citrus smell a lot, would certainly drink again.

12-22-2010 16:31:03 | More by mdfb79
goalie33

A: Clear, dark straw in color. Thin layer of off-white head sticks around.
S: Peachy hops. Maybe a hint of malt.
T: Huge peach flavor. Finished bitter with a dry pine flavor. Finish does not leave a bad taste in the mouth.
M: Soft mouthfeel with only the slightest prick of carbonation.

Like it's name suggests, there is no mistaking that this is a West Coast IPA. A solid beer with nice flavors and smell.

12-21-2010 21:09:27 | More by goalie33
tmcelvain

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

L: Pure gold - hints of red in a fairly hazy body. Fluffy head with good retention.

S: The floral smell hits you right away. Second take is more earthy with a musty finish.

T: This is a pure hop bomb with a very dry finish. Not much balance here, though I do detect just a hint of malts in the aftertaste. The hop flavor is a slight grapefruit citrus, with a little floral flavor filling it out.

M: Well carbonated and true to the style on the mouth.

D: I personally do not desire much more of this one. I consider myself as much a hophead as your average BA, but this beer just seems one-dimensional to me. This is a good example of a hoppy American IPA, and the alcohol is very well hidden, but is not a favorite for me.

12-20-2010 04:30:41 | More by tmcelvain
Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.