Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPA
No picture uploaded.

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

I've been wanting to try this one for awhile and was lucky to find bottles of it while recently in Chicago. This beer pours an apricot orange with a nice one finger, soapy creme colored head. It smells instantly of sharp pine, orange, and grapefruit. It tastes of sweet orange and bitter and sour grapefruit. It's really, really flavorful and tasty. It drinks very well and the alcohol isn't present at all. I really liked this one and would definitely recommend it.

aasher, Mar 28, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

On Tap @ The T:

A: Hazy golden orange with a nice honeysuckle foam

S: In your face fresh hops, pine, resin, mary jane, and biscuit malt

T: Fresh hops, bread, and biscuits

M: Sharp and inviting

O: A west coast classic. A piney and superbly drinkable IPA.

francisweizen, Mar 27, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

I've heard great things about this beer and loved the DIPA so jumped all over this when I was able to find it.

Very very aggressive poor, going to have to let it sit for a few minutes.

Appearance-After letting the head tighten up it leaves a finger fluffy head that remains for a long period. Hazy dark orange. almost a bright yellow at the bottom of the glass. Some sediment lingering on the bottom of the glass.

Smell-This beer is two months old and i get a TON of hops. Theres a giant cloud above this beer that is just filled with hops, this is great. I get some citrus/grapefruit, and a fair amount of pine. I don't get any alcohol.

Taste-The taste did not WOW me like the smell did. After drinking this a 2nd and 3rd time It's slowly growing on me. Big hop characters throughout the whole tongue and a ton of pine, wish I had a little more sweetness. I get a little bit of lemon and grapefruit, not much booze. I also get a good share of malt, becomes more predominant as I continue to drink.

Mouthfeel-Pretty full bodied for a single IPA, Green Flash making a statement.

Overall-Good IPA, but wanted more citrus notes that I thought I would get. Definitely want to try a fresher one. Don't get me wrong, I can drink this beer all day, and will probably have a few more, but was hoping for a little more flavor.

SWMeyer4141, Mar 24, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

I was excited after reading the reviews of this beer and then spotting it at a store here in Cincinnati. Overrated. No balance. Very bitter. And I like hops, but there's gotta be something on the back end to compliment them. And the floral bouquet is a reflection of the one-sided flavor of the brew. Not worth the money, especially considering it comes in a 4-pack.

b3shine, Mar 22, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A pint at The Memphis Taproom

A- A glazy orange with some tangerine likeness and gold edges. There is a bit of musk in the liquid so it's not entirely clear, Im guessing unfiltered. A nice white head, minimal lace.

S- Like i stuck a hop cone up my nose and went to heaven. Smell is on the tropic hop side with mango and pineapple with just a hint of pine followed by a malt backing that is biscuity. A nice smeller.

T- The bitter meshes with the malt balance pretty well with the bitter winning the race. Tropic fruits in the house, a nice malt backing, pine is kept low, a few variety of hops in here, some c-hop action.

M- This has a nice body on her, a nice medium, similar in ABV to sculpin I find this to be heavier and a bit oil slick if you dig and can use as a guide. A nice hoppy aftertaste without going to far.

D- I liked this much better on tap than the bottles I've had. While I could not drink a ton of it due to a a hefty body this hits the marks of an excellent IPA. A pint of this is fine for me.

BARFLYB, Mar 21, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip. Superb looking clear dark amber body. Huge three-finger light tan head that leaves some spider-web lacing along the glass.

Excellent aroma, the best IPA aroma I can recall since Hopslam. Nice hoppy aromas featuring grapefruit, tangerine, and hint of lemon that combine with a light, sweet, malt backbone. This is very inviting.

The flavors do not disappoint. Bitter hop bite combines with the malt to give a great IPA balance, albeit of the west coast variety (no pun intended). Primary hop flavor is of grapefruit for sure, but the other citrus flavors give a bit of balance. Just enough sweet malt finish to do the job.

The mouthfeel is medium to thin, but not inappropriate. Rock solid brew. Could enjoy many of these.

FanofHefe, Mar 18, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Rather than go into my ratings, I'll just go ahead with a review.

Are you a hophead? Do you love hops? Are you NOT afraid of tartness or bitterness? If you don't posses these qualities, you won't like this beer. If you love the blast of bitterness of a seriously hopped up beer, you'll love this.

This beer is serious hop business. Very piney, very citrusy, and some floral character. It's bitter and sour, no sweet/make it friendlier type additives. It will be unpleasant to almost everyone that likes sweet, malty, aged, roasty, heavy beers. I'm not going to say lemon, or grapefruit, or any of those other similar likenesses. It's really really hoppy!

West Coast is lightweight, highly carbonated, and hoppy as it can get. And let me tell you, I LOVE it. I'm a hophead. I love hops and this beer is more a hop drink than a "beer". It's delicious and I'm glad when it's available here in my area.

Would LOVE to persuade someone to get this on tap but in my area everyone is afraid it won't sell. Myself and a few friends would drink it up though!

Hellabeerguzzler, Mar 16, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +5%

From cask to nonic pint glass at ChurchKey on 3/14/11
*From notes

A: Cloudy and wildly hazy. Almost soapy in appearance. Beautiful dark golden to apricot in color. One finger head that dissipated quickly and left next to zero lacing.

S: Unimaginably fruity, citrusy and just plain outstanding. Travel to Belize, find a pineapple plant, chop one open and give it a big, giant whiff. Yeah, it's like that.

T: Imagine the best Pina Colada you've ever had, but slightly woody and in beer form. Like the name states, this is a West Coast IPA baby - island fruits all the way. As it hit the mid-finish, the tannins really show up in large proportion, and it all leaves a lasting finish of tobacco smoke.

M: It's cask conditioned, so the mouthfeel comes off slightly more subdued and smoother then the standard bottle or tapped version. It's slightly slick and heavier then I remember.

O: I don't know who thought that throwing this one in a cask was a good idea, but am I glad they did. Two big thumbs up for this complex and highly drinkable brew.

Regardless of how you get it, Green Flash's West Coast IPA is a cornerstone of the style. Seek this out now - what are you waiting for?

Rhettroactive, Mar 16, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Hennepin goblet.

A: Pours a beautiful, slightly hazy medium amber color. Nice one-finger finger head that lingers, leaving a very fine layer of bubbles that lingers to the bottom of the glass.

S: Wow! Citrus, citrus, and more citrusy hop goodness. Tropical grapefruit dominates the initial nose; hints of pine and semi-sweet malt break through after the initial burst of citrus.

T: Starts with a ton of tropical citrus, slightly balanced by a touch of malt. Bitter IPA sting on the finish and just a hint of alcohol that lingers on the tongue. I like the hop-forward characteristics of this beer. Very, very nice!

M: Creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel.

D: Extraordinarily drinkable...in my book of IPAs, this is an extraordinary example of the West Coast style.

I love this beer...and any respectable hophead would feel the same! Well done, Green Flash!

hopburster, Mar 15, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

A- Before I poured I saw tons of huge chunks of sediment at the bottom of this bottle. I'm glad I noticed it and was able to manage a clean pour. The beer is a clear light orange or amber with a big white head. Retention is awesome and lacing is strong.

S- The smell is big. Lots of candied citrus with a backing of pine. The malt base is strong enough to poke out through all the hops. It provided a doughy, almost buttery aroma. Notes of marmalade, juniper, cotton candy and tangerine. Very nice but I would like to see the volume turned up.

T- Based on how I remember this beer I think I've got the beginnings of hop fade in this bottle. Malts are a bit more pronounced than I would like. Its giving things a buttered biscuit flavor. The sweet smelling hops turn bitter and piney once they hit the tongue. Bitterness is strong and long lasting.

M- Quite the low carbonation for the style. Its a smoother, slicker IPA too. I would like to see the finish be more dry.

D- I think the next time I drink this it will have to be on tap somewhere.

MbpBugeye, Mar 11, 2011

Bottle into goblet
A - Clear rich amber with dark orange notes, 1 finger plus off white head thinned quikly 3.5
S - ripe grapefruit hop forward, floral, toasty background 3.5
T - floral robustness with a hop bitterness that permeates the entire taste, a unique IPA experience 4.5
M - Smooth & robust, while not being heavy 4
D - High ABV doens't really effect drinkability in my mind. Wanted another, had another, will have more. 4.5

rsdaugherty, Mar 10, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -4%

A: Pours a cloudy amber-orange color, with lots of suspended floaties all throughout the beer. At least a full finger of frothy off-white head and decent lacing; this beer gets marked down due to the floaties since for all I know, it could be a brand new bottle (dear Green Flash, please date your bottles).

S: Huge citrus hops upfront: pineapple, grapefruit, and orange peel all quite clear and distinct. Caramel malt backbone provides a light balance, and enhances the sweet qualities of the three mentioned fruit flavors.

T: Strong flavor here; getting a nice balance of piny, citrusy hops and caramel malts. Not too much different from the smell, though the intensity has been kicked up quite a bit. Long, lingering, bitter grapefruit finish; 95 IBUs sounds about right.

M: Thick and sticky (with moderate carbonation), this one lingers on the palate for a long time, living up to its name quite well.

D: Goes down easily and enjoyably for the whole glass; would love to pick this one up again if it wasn't so expensive after the recent price hike. Nonetheless, I'll probably convince myself to buy it again to see if it's even better without the protein floaties missing from the beer.

AwYeh, Mar 10, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A chilled bottle, received in trade from smakawhat, is poured into a pint glass. Pouring into the center of the glass produces a huge head, such that I can only fit two-thirds of the bottle into my glass. It is a slightly off-white foam made up of big bubbles. I can already smell some lovely citrus hops! The liquid is orange and clear. Plenty of minuscule bubbles are cascading up from the bottom of the glass. As the head begins to settle, plenty of spiderweb lacing is left behind. But after a few minutes only a little bit of settling has occurred, there is still a good sized head on this beer.

Now, more about that aroma. Lots and lots of hops. Sharp and citrusy--these hops smell fresh and bitter. The label isn't lying when it claims that the beer is "Extravagantly Hopped." There is a little bit of sweetness to the nose as well; it reminds me of honey.

The flavor is full of hops. Bitter citrus and pine are at the forefront. Really, the pine isn't all that strong; this is mostly about the grapefruit. The bitterness lingers on after I swallow. It isn't very oily, but does coat a lot. It's slightly sticky on my lips, inside my mouth its more of a film. The body is full and the carbonation is on the lower end.

For something so strong and bitter, this is dangerously drinkable. The alcohol is well-hidden. The hops are in your face but not offensive (to me anyway). I can see myself having a few bottles of this in an evening.

This is a top notch west coast IPA and worth seeking out, even if you aren't a hop head.

ToasterChef, Mar 09, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a amber orange coloration. The head of the beer is a rich biege coloration. The head was about a finger and a half high. Very nice rings of foam mark this beers all too rapid disappearance from my glass.

Smell: The aroma of pine resinous hops combines very well with citrus zest, a whiff of grapefruit, and perhaps some mango.

Taste: The beer leads with the expected pine flavors. The pine is a bit resinous and lingers on the palate. A bit of grapefruit sweetness cuts across and then right back to bittering dry finish. Pretty straight forward but well done.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body is slick and just shy of medium bodied. Nice oily texture to the hops making them linger and drying the beer out. The beer left my glass in a very rapid fashion. I could drink several of these in an evening and not get bored.

nlmartin, Mar 08, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz into a pint glass. This is an extremely hoppy IPA, one of the hoppiest ever I think. This beer has so much hops it actually makes me sleepy. Quite a bite to it. One thing I can't figure out: this beer used to be $7.99 a 6 pack in regular bottles and now it's $8.99 per 4 pack in a very unique but still 12 oz bottle. Great beer, but that's quite a difference in value and will definitely affect my frequency of purchase.

chicagoabbot, Mar 07, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a thick white head with ample se fom lacing. Lots of sediment. Lots. The beer itself is a light pumpkin with slight carbonation
S- Grapefruit, hops, pine, malt...Odd but as it really warms up some mineral odors. Wierd. Your as clueless as i am.
T- Grapefruit, citrus, hops, malt, pine.
M- Medium bodied.
D- High

dcook11, Mar 07, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A-Pours a slightly hazy,burnished amber with a dense,creamy,one finger,off-white cap that left sticky sheets of lacing.

S-Tart grapefruit and sweet notes of nectarine and dried tropical fruit with some astringent pine notes as well.

T-Big,bitter,slightly tinny hop flavors followed by softer citric notes and finished with perfumey,piney hoppiness.Good baked sugar malt presence to round out the body.

M-Medium to full bodied with standard hop traits of moderate bitterness and slick resinous mouthfeel.Nice use of moderate carbonation as well.

D-Great example of a West Coast IPA,as the name would indicate.Well balanced and highly drinkable.

StlHopHead77, Mar 06, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz bottle. No freshness info I could see on the bottle. I like the raised company name on the bottle.

Pours a citrus juice-looking orange, with tons of stick on the head. Smell is glorious, just sweet and floral hops. Tastes excellent, big hop profile, grapefruit and pine resin predominate, which is non-destructive enough to enjoy the beer in its entirety. Easy to drink, and the 7.3% is about perfect.

sixerofelixir, Mar 06, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Hazy orange in color and lots of sediment hangs. A huge pillowy head with great retention, leaving a nice sticky lace.

S - All hops, mostly pine with a touch of grapefruit and lemon.

T - Very much similar to other west coast IPAs i've tried. Big piney and floral hops. A nice malt backbone is there, but this one is definitely big and hoppy like an IPA should be. Alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering. A little unpleasant bitterness sits on the tongue but that's really my only complaint.

M - Bitterness tingles in the mouth from the intensity of hops. Slightly more warming than I would expect. Fairly full bodied and high carbonation.

D - A fairly easy drink at 7.3%. This one is crisp and pretty refreshing and is recommended to fans of IPAs.

Bonis, Mar 05, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Green Flash West Coast IPA, growler filled at The Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen, New York.

Appearance: Pours full and carbonated, with a very white one-finger head that dies right away leaving exceptional lacing (for an IPA) and a faint mantle of bubbles on top. Color is a fairly transparent rusty bronze.

Smell: Hops, hops, HOPS!!! Did I say hops? This is like drinking hop juice. Smells like marijuana and pine resin sapped straight from the tree. Seriously, this is the closest you'll get to the hop plantations of the great Pacific Northwest.

Taste: Oily resin first, then bitterness and hops all over. A puckering touch at the end, along with a bit of a malt tone and a boozy, warm finish. A tad of orange zest and sweetness at the end too. Not very balanced, not very varied, but oh, my, so incredibly delicious!

Mouthfeel: Full flavor, full body, medium-to-low carbonation. As I said, unbalanced and yet perfectly rounded.

Drinkability: This goes down like water, but then you feel it. Watch!

I love this beer so very much. It is no doubt my favorite IPA. Lately I've grown a little tired of hoppy pale ales, but West Coast always rules. When fresh, and on tap or growler, this beer is just outrageously amazing.

DoubleSimcoe, Mar 04, 2011
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - hazy oat colored beer with tons of sediment and a think two finger head. Great retention and an abundance of lace.

Smell - incredible hop profile. Citrusy grapefruit, lemon rind, and the smell of freshly cut pine trees.

Taste - right of the bat its unmistakable, this is a remarkably well balance beer while simultaneously being a hopheads wet dream. From the moment it touches your lips you know this is gonna be a show all about hops and it is to the dry finish. But sweet toasted malt keeps the bitterness in check and makes this IPA fantastically full bodied and round.

Mouthfeel - rich creamy mouthfeel. Medium bodied and well carbonated.

Drinkability - bitterness makes it thirst quenching and sweetness makes it palatable this is an awesome brew. If your idea of a great time is munching on some hop pellets you need to try this beer.

Snamnoum, Mar 04, 2011

served in a flute pint glass

a- light amber, orange hints, huge inch frothy head, with hop or yeast particles floating inside,what a nice head (getting intimate) pillow soft, head lasts for ever

s- wow, just like an ipa should smell like...big wave of grapefruit, topical paradise, some hints of pine and floral, definetely smell a sweet pale malt backbne

t-holy hops!!! tropical grapefruit at the beginning then lingers to a bitter pine and then back to sitting on a beach with tropical fruits. this is what an ipa should taste like!!! all hops barely any malt..ends with a nice bitter alcohol sting to let you know it is there,
m- so smooth and delectable

d- all day, i think i downed this beer in mins

best beer in a while!! what a surprise never heard of this one.

ken2cart1, Mar 03, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: brown with orange hue and a 2 finger head

Smell: floral, citrus, hops,

Taste: hoppy, bitter, floral

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, sticky hops,

Drinkability: Hops were profound and enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Cheers,
The CPJ

THECPJ, Mar 02, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. No date. Pours a nice burnt golden color with a nice big bubbly white head and very sticky lacing. There's also some sediment floating around. Smells great! Lots of fruits and pines up front. Typical west coast IPA aroma that you gotta love! The taste is very enjoyable and complex. Lots of citrus and a slight amount of pine and resin, slightly sweet. Obviously pretty bitter. Mouthfeel is nice, well carbonated; medium to full-bodied. Drinkability is good, alcohol is masked for the most part. Good flavors and aromas will have you coming back for more.

Very enjoyable IPA. Great representation of the west coast. I'd drink this anytime, recommended!

BB1313, Mar 02, 2011
4.22/5  rDev 0%

from 120z bottle

A-pours a slight hazed red/copper color with a creamy 1 finger khaki head very fresh looking and nice lacing

S- was pine and citrus and floral hop and grapefruit all very prominent

T- hops galore in a great way..big pine and floral citrus hops with an overload of grapefruit/citrus hops..mixed with some sweet caramel malts and a little bread

M- crisp and pure..this is a hop forward ipa ..the palate is hit with hops that are just delicious

D- easy to put down the whole 4-pak you really just want to keep drinking this one.. a solid ipa that is a must try

gatornation, Mar 01, 2011
Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.