Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a ruby hue of amber, very hazy with a small head that leaves clumpy lacing.

This smells like a west coast IPA. Gobs of slightly sweet smelling citric hops. Smells fresh and green with noticeable fruity esters. Toffee marks the back end of the nose along with a tiny bit of alcohol.

Orange pith, grapefruit and a moderate dose of pine dominate here. The malt backbone struggles to stand up to the hop assault, what I do pick up are chunks of toffee and some toast. The finish is quite bitter and marked by a dose of alcohol that doesn't hide.

The mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat dry, a tad syrupy for a single IPA and a little short on carbonation.

Overall this brew is good, but in the grand scale of amped up west coast IPAs I'm sorry to say that this one comes up a little short for me. I can't lie though, damn tasty.

BDLbrewster, Jan 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

A- Poured from bottle, dark golden with a minimal head that clears up pretty quick. Some bubbles remain in the middle with a white ring around the edge. Despite the gentle pour there is still some sediment.
S- Hops on top of hops here. Citrus and some tropical fruit hops resembling the varieties that start with a C, and a little pale malt... Might be a little old but still has a huge hop aroma.
T- Similar to the smell, but the first thing I think of when I taste this beer is fruit loops. Simcoe tropical fruit hop flavor mixed with a rich malt backbone not common in the west coast IPAs ive had. Excellent bittering hop presence with just enough malt to provide some balance.
M- Medium body and medium carbonation, finishes pretty clean.
D- I love IPAs and this is one of my favorites. This might be an older bottle compared to the last time I had it, but its still an excellent beer. Could drink this stuff all day long.

nkersten, Jan 27, 2010
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clear amber color. This particular beer is bottle fermented so depending on how you prefer your pour, the beer could range from clear amber to a cloudy amber. I prefer to keep the sediment out. Barely detectable carbonation, thin lacing. Could this bottle be too old?

Smells of pine and citrus plus some bready, carmely malt. Taste is pretty balanced between the hops and the malts which is atypical of this beer, must definitely be over the hill. Starts with sweet malty presence and then swirls between sweet caramel and bitter grapefruit hop character. I remember a really fresh one of these having a considerable amount of pine presence on the palate as well. Finishes very bitter and semi-dry.

Mouthfeel is crisp and prickly and the hop bitterness lingers for a long time after the sip. My overall score is based on what I experienced with this bottle plus how I know it should taste since I've had alot of experience with this beer. I would love to go into more depth with a review but knowing it's an old bottle, what's the sense of it? It's an excellent beer. (Judging by the bottle only, maybe a "C".) In its prime, this is a very drinkable beer and remains on the list of my favorite IPA's. Skip my review and just look at the overall BA score, it's pretty accurate.

jzeilinger, Jan 25, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

I've been on a hoppy beer binge while in CA for work. This is the last one for me, probably.

A - Pours a slightly cloudy light amber with a minimal off-white head. Lower carbonation, from the appearance of it.

S - Grapefruit hops, a little bit of sweetness is present as well.

T & M - Lots of grapefruit! This is a sharp contrast to all the piney hop beers I've had this week, and I like it. It still has that freshness and intensity (95 IBU's, according to the bottle). It has a fair amount of body as well. It isn't overdone, but defines the beer.

D - I couldn't find a single 12 oz of this, so I bought the 22. I'm ok with this. It will take me a while to get through it, but it's a beer I'd love to have on hand back in MN.

dougofthefuture, Jan 21, 2010
4.41/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Lord Hobo in a pint glass.

Fantastic beer. The hop flavor is extreme and it'll take a real hop head to appreciate the beer top to bottom. I don't think its too easy to find here on the East Coast but if you appreciate American hops then this beer has you covered - Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and my personal favorite Cascade are all present and especially noticeable in the aroma.

It pours a pale amber/orange with a nice fluffy head that dissipates before long. Not surprisingly the ABV is well masked with the overwhelming bitterness and aroma. Its certainly worth the price wherever you can find it!

zadams1, Jan 19, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Picked this up at the local mart looking for a fresh new ipa. Boy this was a delight! Right when I poured the beer the hops were noticeable. It poured with a nice dark golden color with a light head. The taste was exceptional. Lots of hops. I loved the taste and felt the hops really made it tie all together. I thought it had an easy finish without much of a bite making it easy to drink. I was surprised though that a beer with this much hops had this little of a bite.

fjordhook, Jan 16, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

This is the second time I tried this beer. The first one a friend gave me nearly two years ago when I was just getting ramped up in the craft beer scene. I remembered liking it but didn't really appreciate it. This time around I've become a true hop head. Green Flash just landed (finally!) in Seattle last week and I've been chompin' at the bit to get my hands on this beer. It didn't disappoint.

It poured a nice bubbly light amber with a decent head. Smelled like pine resin and grapefruit. I thought, "This smells like a DIPA." Turns out it tastes like one, too. A real palate attack. Because I've been waiting so long, just got off of work, it was ice-cold, and I had a sixer of 12 oz. bottles, I quaffed the first one down. Buzz.

BuckeyeOne, Jan 16, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz into US Pint

A: firm head that became a bit sudsy (suspicious of the glass here) golden tending orange

S: Powerful citrus, a smack of honey and mint slight grassiness on the end

T: sharply bitter at first then the citrus comes in, grapefruit rind, tanic

M: Smooth but not syrupy, fairly dry, carbonation could be turned up a bit but only a bit

D: Darn tasty beer, a bit of a palate killer after two and the abv cause me to knock it down a bit

waldoiverson, Jan 16, 2010
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Served in a pint glass. No date on bottle. My bottle has a higher ABV (at 7.3%) than what is listed here. I'm cool with that. 95 IBUs. Let's begin.

A: One finger foamy white head, not particularly long lasting. The body is a light orangish-brown and extremely clear. Streamers of carbonation are situated on the sides of the glass. Nothing stands out as spectacular, but still a good looking brew.

S & T: Adequate presence of sweet cookie, bread, hay, caramel and pale malts. Heavy hops. The combination of Simcoe, Centennial, Columbus & Cascade provide an all-encompasing hop bill of citrusy grapefruit & orange aromas and flavors, mixed with pine and resin. The Centennial hops really shine here. Some very fond aromas of sticky buds come through. The palate follows the nose but...wait for it...damn, minus the ganja. I don't know if the world is ready for that yet. Or is it? [lightbulb flashing over my head]. Lightly sweet and moderately bitter.

M & D: Medium body with an oily texture and a suitable level of effervescence. We all expect great things from a west coast IPAs and while this brew is good, I consider it more of a baseline/middle-of-the-road offering. Will gladly have another at any time.

FeDUBBELFIST, Jan 15, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +5%

Served on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD into a shaker pint glass at the appropriate temperature (01/14/10).

A: Pours a nice golden amber with an orange hue, capped with one finger of a white head that dissolves into a collar leaving some ringed and patchy lace.

S: Excellent aroma of citrus hops followed by some sweet nectar and pine.

T:Citrus hops hit the palate first and they are fully engulfed in a sweet nectar containing a slight caramel flavor. Layers of pine, mango, peach, and pineapple are apparent as well. Some nice bitterness lingers into and after the finish.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and no hint at all of the 7% abv.

D: Very drinkable and rather sessionable as long as you enjoy a full flavored American IPA with a decent degree of bitterness.

Overall this has always been a favorite of mine and this on-tap version seemed extremely fresh. Highly Recommended.

Lunch, Jan 15, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. One finger head that faded quickly but left very nice strong lacing. Almost a slight green tint to the head -- bit of hop resin. Color was a pale, pale orange/amber. Impressively crystal clear.

The aroma is like sticking your nose right into the hop bag. Bright floral, citrus, pine -- as potentially aromatic as any beer I've had. The scent rolls up even when the beer was poured at near waist height. Just amazing.

Flavor is also very good, though not quite as intense as the aroma. Tons of finishing hops here, bitterness is good but not quite so extreme as the flavor & aroma hops. There's a nice malt, biscuit character to the beer that balances out some of the hop character. Very pleasant beer with a bit more balance than I thought I'd get.

Excellent beer, nice mouthfeel & easy to drink. I really enjoyed this beer.

mklinger, Jan 15, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz stubby.

Appearance: Perfectly clear golden orange. The head is big, thick, and fluffy. It leaves very nice lacing.

Smell: Stiff and pungent hops. Piney and grapefruity. Hops and more hops. What a great smelling IPA.

Taste: Hops. Pine, sweet orange, pineapple, bitter grapefruit. From midway through the finish there's nice caramelly sweetness that luckily fails to balance the hops. This doesnt leave a long bitter aftertaste though-- it finishes relatively clean, sweet, and a little toasty.

Mouthfeel: Nice. The hops are coating and resiny. Makes for a nice feel.

Drinkability: All day. This one's great at the beach, or anytime.

rapidsequence, Jan 13, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass

First had this beer on tap at Redbones Barbeque in Somerville, MA. At first smell I noticed the ridiculous piney hop. Some citrus notes after that...have to admit getting cocked on this brew (didn't take much considering the ABV & the sappy quality) Very clean aftertaste...one of my favorite west coast american IPA's- would recommend getting educated on some lighter IPAs before giving this monster a shot. Fabuous beer overall

Gribbs23, Jan 12, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. Poured a cloudy with sustained sediment, deep orange with a slightly off-white head.

A blast of citrusy hops greets the olfactory. There is some sweet malt aroma coming through.

This is truly a hop bomb. The first sip was strongly citrusy, almost too much so. Yet, as the ale warms the malt sweetness begins to balance the flavor. As the bottle did not have a freshness date, I can not determine if this counterbalance of malt flavor was intended or the hops have weakened.

The body is medium with restrained carbonation. The palate is pleasantly coated with hop bitterness.

The strong bitterness of the hops detracts from the drinkability and the high ABV would limit the quantity. This is a well made, flavorful and refreshing ale that is too highly hopped for my taste. Others may disagree. It is well worth trying, though expensive.

jkrich, Jan 10, 2010
4.71/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The label reads "Extravagantly Hopped." This is an understatement. The intense pine, and to a lesser degree citrus aroma races out of the neck of the bottle as soon as the cap is lifted.

The beer pours a deep amber color and a sturdy head of half and inch or so crowns the top.

The flavor is intense - crisply bitter.

The carbonation seems to deliver just enough relief from the hop assault to make this beer enjoyable.

The intense flavor signature of this beer pretty much relegates it to one serving per session, for me at least

WindUpBird, Jan 06, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a standard copper copper color with concrete solid sediment suspension. The head is about one fingers worth after the pour, but maintains quite well after the fact. The aroma ha plenty of earthy and citric peel notes. Not too much noticeable though. The taste starts citric peels and all with maybe some biscuits that speak for the malts. The middle to the finish is pretty bitter and everlasting. I like bitter, but I don't want to go to sleep with it on my palate. Not sessionable for me and my taste. But still an ok IPA.

scruffwhor, Jan 03, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I had this on tap at Limestone Brewing Company in Plainfield, IL.

A= This ale poured a fairly clear deep gold color with a 1/2" white head. The head quickly dropped to a thin skim and left a lot of web lace on my glass.

S= Smelled of pine and citrus - West Coast all the way. A nice biscuity malt base came through in the aroma as well.

T= Lots of hop character...both citrus and pine were well represented with the pine being a bit more restrained. Solid malt base took the edge off the hops with biscuit and caramel notes. Finished dry and bitter.

MF= Lighter side of medium bodied, with a crisp carbonation feel.

D= Very good, very drinkable West Coast IPA. I liked it better on tap than from the bottle. I am glad this is available in Illinois now...

spointon, Jan 03, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -45.5%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Intense pine, grapefruit.

Taste: Crushing grassy bitterness. Like chewing on grass or eating unroasted coffee. Astringent grape skins. Slightly herbal. Very dry and bitter finish.

Notes: Did not enjoy even though I often like very hoppy beers. This was just too one-dimensional and astringent.

4000qtrap, Jan 03, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from bottle to snifter. Thanks to womencantsail and portia99 for these.

Appearance - Pours a dark orangey brown that is completely translucent. Some red hues can be seen. Poured with a thin white head that dissipates too quickly and leaves with just a little head that grips to the side of the glass. Leaves a small bit of lacing.

Smell - Right away tons of hop smell, fruity, citrusy grapefruit can be discerned in the nose. Some grassy and earthy contents can also be picked out. The sweet malt is definitely evident here and can be smelled with notes of caramel. A candy like sweetness and a tiny smidgen of alcohol can also be picked up.

Taste - Right up front I catch the sweetness first, good caramel sweetness but right after, you catch the intense bitterness. It's as if they are battling and soon the bitters wins and takes hold of the mouth for quite some time. The end taste is grassy and earthy with a small amount of citrus and pine. The taste lasts and lasts. I am still tasting it up to the next drink.

Mouthfeel - Extremely dry and bitter, feels great on the tongue, as smooth as it probably could. Under carbonated just a bit bringing the grade down a bit but otherwise fills the mouth well and not too heavy. Very good for the style.

Drinkability - I could drink quite a few of these, probably would attempt a 6-pack but I normally won't unless i'm drinking socially, at the time being 1 is good enough for me but it's not overpowering in it's bitterness, though its their and awesome and you cannot taste the alcohol though you could smell it. Solid drinkability.

Glad to have gotten to try another great West Coast IPA.

cvaypai, Jan 03, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -14%

The color was beautiful, a hazy burnt orange. There was little to no appreciable head. Though I profess to love hops this beer proved to be a little too much. At 95 IBU's the balance between malt and hops was just not enough to keep this as an enjoyable to drink beer. 4 different hops, simcoe, columbus, centennial, and cascade combine to create a hop atomic bomb. Good in small amounts but it quickly grows medicinal.

BreworFerment, Dec 31, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +5%

nice heads and lacing. like grandma's doily's down the inside of my glass.

real nice nose of columbus hops.

taste is a hop bomp. all the pine, citrus you love in west coast ipa's. long spicy herbal finish on the palate that ends with a pine resin. sweet bready malt that compliments the hops

mouthfeel is full and substantial.

This is one hell of an IPA. Top 5 in my book.

OatmattStout, Dec 31, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Not many beers prettier in appearance than an IPA. Served in a pint glass, the beer was an amber color with a thick off-white head. Plenty of lacing. Mostly citrus aroma, as well as a bit of perfume. Grapefruit taste, very hoppy. It reminded me of Leatherlips, and showed you can make a real hop bomb without jacking up the alcohol.

lordofthewiens, Dec 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Very piney and bitter citrus peels in the nose. You can smell the hops when you open the beer. Dark golden body with an ivory head that is perfumy to say the least. Very hoppy flavor to this IPA, will satisfy your hop fix. Mildly unbalanced-another west Coast hop bomb. Well crafted and veteran mouthfeel. Good session IPA for the hop cravers.

natelocc787, Dec 30, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Light, clear amber body, creamy off-white head. Good Lacing.

Piney, resiny, citrusy, aggressive hop aroma with big grapefruit notes. The flavor is sweet caramel then a powerful, piney, spicy, citrus fruit filled hop bomb with a bitter hoppy finish. The body is oily, sticky, medium to full, with a long finish. The over the top bitterness and some astringent citrus from the hops put a damper on drinkability for me.

West Coast indeed. Pretty much the definition of the style. 95 IBUs sounds about right. Liquid gold for hop fiends.

BradLikesBrew, Dec 28, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Hoppy hop hop hippy hippy don't stop. Hip hip hop, around the hoppy clock.

Pine, citrus, and grapefruit. A classic west coast ipa and delicious if you're in the IPA mood. The bitterness makes it a little less drinkable than desired. However the mouthfeel is great. a perfect lightness for the style.

dnjmed, Dec 28, 2009
Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.