Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,984 | Reviews: 1,798
4.29/5  rDev +1.7%

12oz bottle. Pours a murky brownish dark amber color with an inch of head. Very little lacing. Strong aroma of pine and citrus. Hints of tropical fruits as well. The aroma of hops is fantastic. The flavor is very piney and floral. I didn't pick up on any floral qualities when I smelled it and now I'm not tasting much citrus. Very odd, but I'm not complaining since it's damn good. Nicely dry and oily. Pine bitterness at the end. Overall, this is a great IPA. Wish it was readily available in CT. Worth seeking out for sure.

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%

Once settled in the glass, West Coast IPA is speckled with little flakes of sediment and is such a deep copper-orange tone that it is, by dictionary definition, opaque. Its head, first observed floating around the one finger-high level, is now diminished to a creamy belt that encircles the outside and splatters the glass with lacing.

For some reason, Green Flash felt the need to tell us on the label that this is "extravagantly hopped" - as if we wouldn't have noticed from the aroma! This beer is sweltering with fruit; notes of orange, grapefruit, coconut, papaya and lychee swell like blisters, almost completely eclipsing the underlying notes of pine and toasted, biscuity malts.

Hop oils are smeared all over this biscuity malt canvas as if Jackson Pollack himself painted it. Flavours of both candied-sweet and blistering-bitter citrus abound, mellowed slightly by notes of coarse brown sugar, flower petals and toffee-laced malt. The last word, however, unquestionably goes to the tree resins, grapefruit pith and lemon peel.

The mouthfeel has a citric acidity sharp enough to cut diamonds; my brain knows that Green Flash didn't puree any orange peel, grapefruit flesh and lemon juice into the mash but my palate doesn't believe it. Despite being relatively strong, the beer is curiously drinkable (at least for my tastes). And what’s all this mumbo jumbo about 7.3%? No way.

As you would expect, West Coast IPA provides the anticipated hop fix for the lupulin junkie; it offers all that is great with infamous 'west coast' brand of the style: a landslide of citric hops, an inundation of bitterness, plenty of enjoyment and... nothing much else. What else is needed? For "hop heads" this combination of pale malts and Jesus is all that's necessary.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from bottle to chalice. Purchased at Westroads in Carbondale, IL--$2.39ea

Appearance: Tea color--reddish. Off-white head that stays nicely.

Smell: Getting fruitiness, maybe some pineapple. Flowery--hoppy aroma. Not any spice at all.

Taste: Hops are perfect. Not overpowering at all, even for the stated 95ibu. Pine notes with the pineapple that come through not only in smell, but taste. Love it.

Mouthfeel: Silky. Hops that cling to the cheeks and tongue.

Overall: Great IPA. Love it a lot and would recommend.

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

Bought this @ Oliver's on my way back from NYC last Monday.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: A strong 4 finger head that has incredible lasting power and an orange-amber body the color of congealed honey.

Smell: Oily with pine, sugar and malt. Not too big on the bitterness though hops do shine a bit.

Taste: Spices, with a good dose of hops and pine that sticks. Some caramel(?) with malt. Fruit maybe. Good flavor and not hidden by bitterness.

Mouthfeel: I found the carbonation to be good though slightly lower than most IPAs but the bitterness is very present lasting long after the swallow but it's never overbearing and is manageable.

Overall: Good flavor with a nice lip-smacking bitterness that never comes off as abrasive. Try this IPA!

anyone know when this brew will be on tap in the boston area? apparently i have to write at least 250 "characters" here - i keep looking up area places to see if they have it listed as being on tap . . . but no luck . . .SO FAR . . . . . . . . .

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%

Coppery amber with an airy custard colored head that leaves some crusty lace on the glass. The aroma tells me two things..number one this bottle is very fresh, number two this beer smells like I stuck my nose in a bag of fresh hops on brew day. Fresh resinous hop aroma with pine sap, candied grapefruit peel and caramel slathered toast. I love this brew, it tastes exactly like what fresh mega-hoppy wort smells like when you cook up a fresh batch of homebrew. My homebrew has never been this good though. Simcoe and plenty of C-hops with a sticky caramel malt backbone that finishes long and a little bitter. Silky smooth with strong carbonation. Green Flash makes some good IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured an unfiltered copper color with a tall white head. Very fine foam. Pretty good retention and lace.

Smells utterly delicious. Sweet citrus meets fresh pine bough. Graprefruit, tangerine, and wet pine sap mingle beautifully in the aroma.

A "vry tsty" beer. Malty for a self-proclaimed west coast IPA. Lots of bitter pine and pithiness.

Slightly sticky and dry, it goes down smooth. The finish is very bitter and lingers appropriatly. Overall an excellent beer. I can't believe it took me so long to try this.

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%

Nice copper/orange appearance with an orange tinged head. decent lacing.
The aroma in this beer is astounding. I was expecting to find some whole hops at the bottom of my pour its so hoppy. Lots and lots of pine, citrus, teeny bit of grass, and bitter grapefruit aromas. Malt peeks thru very subtley.
Bitter bitter pine and grapefruit dominate the taste. This beer can be as straightforward or as complex as you want it to be. The bitterness fades to reveal a slight maltiness, which, combined with the astringency gives the malt backbone a crispness. The aroma follows in the taste with grassiness coming in very slightly.
The IBU's in this make for a distinct astringent mouthfeel that is very complimentary to the style and aroma/flavor. The bitterness lingers and leaves me wanting sip after sip. A nice medium body matches well with the bitterness. Well balanced.
Overall, I think this is everything an American IPA should be.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this on 2011-05-22 at Cobblestones in York, PA

A - Mildly-Hazy, acopper-orange with a one finger white head. Good lacing.

S - Pine, citrus, hop bud.

T - Pine, grapefruit and more caramel than I remember from the bootle. There's some earthy spice and a hint of leather. Dries nicely and leaves a strong aftertase of bitterness, spice and leather. Good stuff.

M - Medium body and carbonation. A little sticky.

D - One of my favorite West Coast IPAs. Not as bright citrus as a Port City Mongo but quite delicious.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

I poured this from a 12 ounce bottle into an oversized snifter. It is a slightly hazy orange with a nice two finger head.

The scent is awesome. It has a nice hoppy scent.

The taste is great as well. The hops are very prevalent, but not at all overpowering. I also pick up a nice grapefruit taste.

The mouthfeel is just as it should be.

This is a great beer. I wish the place where I bought it was closer to where I live.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy, unfiltered copper color. Dirty white, thick head. Very small bubbles. 3.5/5

Smell- Pine hops and biscuit malts. Small amount of alcohol. 4/5

Taste- Big bitterness. Some alcohol. There is a very earthy malt flavor that I don't know if I like. I think this would benefit from filtration. I think that the malt flavor and the alcohol comes out as it warms. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied beer. I wouldn't mind this being a little thinner. 3.5/5

Overall- I like this beer, but would chose others over it without a problem. I think this would be better if it was filtered and has more of a cleaner hop aroma. 3.5/5
Funny how things change.
Review as of 8/24/11
Appearance- Clear, dark copper (almost red) with a fluffy white head. 4.5/5

Smell- Outstanding pine aroma. Little bit of a malt smell as well. 4.5/5

Taste- Piney hops, sweet malt and alcohol are all up front. Big bitterness and more malt and caramel flavors in the end. The bitterness does not stick with you very long after the sip, and for some reason I like that. 4/5

Mouthfeel- Good mouthfeel. I would like it just a bit thinner. 4/5

Overall- I have had DIPAs with this much hop flavor. This is a great beer. I have had it before and liked it then but haven't had it in awhile. Too bad the price went up. Oh well. A Lagunitas Dogtown Pale or Sierra Nevada Torpedo would be a "poor mans" West Coast IPA. 4.5/5

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

On-tap at BJ's in Escondido, served in a pint glass. I've had this beer tons of times and it's a great go-to for me.

A: Dark orange/yellow with one finger tingly foamy head. The bubbles are very fine. Head retention is good to the bottom and lacing is moderate.

S: Smells a bit like a grapefruit tree and a pine tree made a baby. A bunch of Simcoe hops on the nose.

T: Very piny up front, with a touch of sweetness mid-palate, and finishes with citrusy bitterness. Bone dry on the finish and will leave your tongue a little numb. A classic West Coast IPA that tastes exactly how you would expect, bitter and dry with great, flowery aromatics.

M: It's a medium to light body with stinging carbonation and very dry on the finish. I'd prefer a bit smoother mouthfeel, but still good.

O: I like this beer and will continue to drink it for my hop fix. Good stuff.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle poured into my Hennepin glass.

No dating on the bottle that I could find.

Live review.

A: Pours a very nice golden orange, slightly hazy, and very nice 1 finger head that settles to a small cap and leaves sticky lacing all over the glass. Very impressive. Off to a great start.

S: Pine, a little grapefruit, dough, and more pine. This one's aroma reminds me a LOT of the Columbus IPA, but with heavier pine notes and less fruit.

T: Starts off with a little pine and a wave of bitter hops, then transforms a little into a ever-so-slightly sweetness of bread like dough, then back into a little (well hidden) grapefruit, (well hidden) orange, and pine, and finishes a little bitter and herbal. The finish is a little abrupt. Slightly dry and bitter. The bitterness gets to be overbearing at times, though.

M: Slightly oily, medium body, decent carbonation. Coats the palate well.

O: Damn impressive. If you are in a mood for a bitter hop bomb, this is a damned good choice. Only thing keeping me from giving it a better score is the very subtle fruitiness, as the bitterness just overwhelms. Green Flash, if you bring a little bit more fruit out, and keep the rest of the beer the same, I'd buy it by the case.

If you are looking for an IPA with lots of good, bitter flavor, you'd be hard pressed to find one better.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a hazy orange gold color. Really have liked the orange hues on the sides of the glass. Moderate pour got a large two finger head that was dirty white in color. Kept its form for a few minutes before finally receding slowly, leaving sticky thick lacing on the sides of the glass. Two finger head on swirling. Great retention to this.

S-- Orange, Grapefruit, Pine, lemon, and Carmel. More pungent orange and grapefruit with Carmel as the background, almost approaching foreground. Lots of layers and different flavors in the smell.

T-- Pungent orange and grapefruit. Big malt backbone to keep it restrained though and not over the top.

M-- All over the place in a good way. Pungent grapefruit and Orange with fresh lemon and orange peel. Get some tangerine as well. Pine is much more in the back for me but this is much more about pungent fruit and a lot of peels to me. Medium feel and lower medium carbonation. Slightly oily.

O-- When I think IPA's I usually think this beer first or second. One of the best made in the US if Not the world. Can be quite a complex IPA and it can also be very one dimensional and aggressive. After Sculpin hard to find a better IPA. The more you drink it the more you learn from it. Not the most sessionable beer but outstanding all the way.

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into Lost Abbey stemware. No freshness date.

A: Standard pour yields a coarse, frothy 2.5 finger white head with good retention. Beer is a semi-clear bright dark orange that reveals light sediment floating on the bottom of the brew. Lacing is web-like with good cling. Clarity needs a bit of work but everything else is a bit above average.

S: Nose is aromatic. Astringent, sappy, resiny hoppiness. Bitingly bitter with a nice liveliness. I feel like I'm walking through a pine forest. Spot on for the style.

T: Opens with some caramel and grainy brown sugar. Citrus, tree sap and piney bitterness are pervasive and the last from middle to end. No semblance of malt balance. End is a slight dry, accented spicy bitterness. Aftertaste is resiny and woody hop bitterness. As advertised.

M: Light to medium bodied and well carbonated. Rather smooth and slightly watery with ample bubbles in the mouth. Spicy, sticky, slightly abrasive, and slightly dry going down. Messy finish with a sticky aftertaste that lingers. Appropriate.

O: This is a west coast IPA in every sense of the word. Bitter, bitter, and more bitter hops all throughout. Worth trying for the hardcore hophead. Malt lovers will want to avoid at all cost!

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

I love a good Green Flash IPA. They're always full of big hops, and when I'm in the mood for a great IPA, I know to reach for a Green Flash. I prefer the regular to the imperial, as far as drinkability goes, and because this beer has a slightly less alcohol bite.

Poured a slightly hazy, golden yellow color with burnt brown around the edges, and a nice foamy white head that retained fairly well. Big smell of pine and hops, some lemon and grapefruit. The aroma follows through in the taste, with big, big hops, citrus, pine, some light grassiness and earth, and surprisingly, a bit of smooth malts make an appearance in the finish. Light-medium body, and very drinkable if you're in the mood for a hoppy beer.

Definitely one of my favorite IPAs, and very exemplary of the style.

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

Again, I tried this from a taster last night. Not my style, but I wanted to try and branch out. Much better than I thought from an IPA, but a bit too much for me.

A - Yellowish-copper body and head that dissipated rather quickly

S - Smelled very citrusy!

T - almost a spicy, citrusy taste on this one. Again, not my style, but I can see IPA folks loving this one.

O - Overall for me a bit too hoppy. Had I been into IPAs I think I would have loved this beer.

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

Green Flash West Coast IPA……. on tap at Pacific Standard in Brooklyn, NY

Appearance-bright vibrant orange cold, gray colored head slowly rises but falls quickly, lots of bubbles, a thick looking brew with lots of body.

Smell-Rush of fruit and pine which shows the hops are here in force. This smell is so pungent that it was really all I could get. Alcohol is there in the background but the hops are the show here.

Taste/Mouthfeel-and so it is. A rushing pine-flavored burn of the tongue that lingers throughout, smoky and bitter in the strictest sense, the burn lingers through and the alcohol doesn’t hit until the very end as it goes down with a large warming sensation.

Drinkability-depends on how much you like hops.

Overall-I’m normally a hop fan, but maybe I’m getting old. This is a crushing blow of hops and while the force is impressive I didn’t enjoy this beer nearly as much as I hoped too. Will give it another try, but disappointed for now.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass

95 IBU's

Appearance: Hazy copper, burnt orange color. Unfiltered. Visible sediment floating around. Chunky off-white one finger head once it settles down. The head retention is strong and leaves thick lacing coating the glass. Beautiful.

Smell: The nose at first is a little closed. It opens up with time. Scents include pine, citrus, pineapple/grapefruit blend, rose petal, honey, brown sugar, and caramel. Doesn't smell too bitter.

Taste: Now this is an IPA! Very bitter with Columbus hops made most obvious due to the harsh bitterness. On the earthy side. The malt backbone there, but it is overwhelmed by the hops. Dry bitter finish. Amazing hop profile, which is comprised of Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, and Cascade hops. The alcohol is masked nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. A tad oily and pretty thick.

Ending notes: This is the pinnacle of west coast IPAs. Very nice indeed. Very bitter, but not excessive (Does too bitter even exist?). I can't wait to get this again. Makes for a great hop blast. Not for the faint-hearted. Quite enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

The West Coast IPA is pretty much my favorite style of beer. I ardently believe that the best beer is hop-forward, and doesn't take any prisoners. Let the people that don't like it drink Blue Moon or something similar.

Given that this beer is called "West Coast IPA" puts it in line with very special consideration and comparison. It's certainly very good, but one thing bothers me: no freshness date. Is my brew two weeks out or two months out or more? I'll not know. But it tastes fresh enough to I'll begin:

A: Pours into my tulip a very nice dark orange with a nice size beige head. Retention is a high point on this one.

S: The usual smells from this style abound: citrus, piney, but also some sweetness from the bready malt is evident.

T: The citrus pervaded hops control the front end, while a nice caramel malt lands in the finish line - the balance is there, considering the style, which is to say that the hops do dominate (and rightly so) but the malt is a nice feature, rather than a cameo.

M: Medium carbonation, somewhat creamy in the middle from the head, and then finish dry, as per the style.

O: Well, this is a West Coast IPA and it gets the job done, but offers few surprises at the same time. Perhaps the caramel backbone is the difference maker, and it rounds this out to be one fine brew.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to Adam@Platinum Liquor.

Burnt, largely opaque copper. Dense two-finger just barely off-white head. Drops slowly; lace clings to the glass determinedly. Cracking start.

As expected, assaults the nasal cavity with impressively fresh grapefruit and earthy pine. Slightly less prominent are orange rind, passionfruit and lemon sherbet. Fennel and bitter nettles provide a spunky finish. Malt is completely hidden, at least to this amateur.

The taste is much more tropical. Mango, pineapple, rockmelon and stonefruit in pretty equal proportions. Earthy resin is still abundant but not as forceful as in the aroma. Again, I'm sure the malt backing is there somewhere and partially responsible for the effortless balance of flavours - but I can't find it.

Carbonation is spot on and virtually undetectable, resulting in an even bitterness and medium body. Just an exhibition of balance really.

Overall, tasty as hell and massively drinkable. In a sense it's almost one-dimensional, but it's a dimension so well mastered.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Fresh on tap. Never bought this before due to lack of bottle dating. Glad to try it fresh.

A - golden hue with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - excellent smell. Hoppy citrus and tropical fruits. It begs for a sip.

T - citrus, hoppy deliciousness. Malt is well hidden in the background but has just enough presence here. Very tasty hop forward IPA. Goes down easy without destroying the palate.

M - very nice mouthfeel. Not too thick and not too thin. Nice creamy coating of the buds.

I was very pleased with this beer, even a bit surprised. Very good if you can get it fresh. It's too bad they won't date their bottles. For that reason, I'm not sure when I will have this again.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Small bits of sediment float around in its hazy copper orange body. I don't think I've had an IPA with sediment like this before. A finger and a half of off-white head leaves patches and patches of spotted lace as it sinks. All in all, a good looking IPA.

Resinous piney hops and juicy pink grapefruit that smells like it's going to pucker my lips are at the forefront, and rightfully so. A bit of lemon peel adds to its citrusy character. Bready and toasted malts can be picked out in the back but in no way compete with its fresh hoppy scent.

Sweet grapefruit comes in a flash before astringent pine and all types of citrus rhine entrench themselves in the middle of the palate, sticking around long after the finish. Bready malts come in faint doses in the finish, barely able to be detected amidst this pungent hop assault. For a second, I swear I taste a drop of caramel, but only for a second. The length of time the bitterness lingers is wonderful and that is perhaps why I percieve this as being a more bitter beer than other AIPA's I've had.

This leans more towards medium bodied with a subtle creamy feel. The incredibly dry finish, to my knowledge, is a distinguishing feature of a traditional West Coast IPA. In this case, this allows the hops to really shine in the finish and enabling them to extend their stay. The ABV is very well hidden. Although I couldn't picture myself sessioning this, it does add to its drinkability.

Solid through and through. For me this comes off as a well done, traditional AIPA. With that said, nothing really blew me away. If this is what a West Coast IPA should taste like, I'm glad I had this for I will use it as a point of comparison in the future. This is not my favorite IPA but it's well worth a try.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

A- a ruddy, but bright golden brown. small maybe 1/4in head.

S- citrus on the nose

T- hoppy without being overwhelming. Can really taste the citrus. So much so that it borders in sour, but doesn't go all the way there.

M- stays hoppy

O- this is one of my favorite American IPAs. It epitomizes the style and doesn't go overboard on the hops like so many IPAs do now. It's nice to find this on tap a few places in Tokyo. You can't go wrong with this IPA.

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: golden yellow/sharp orange glow, fluffy 2 finger head, delicious lacing!

S: delightful grapefruit/orange peel, fresh pine

T: sweet fresh citrus front, earthy inviting middle, sticky long pine bitter finish (great balance!)

M: med body, sticky/oily finish

O: Glad I took a chance on a brewery I have seen on the shelves for years and for whatever reason dismissed. My beerguy said "great American IPA" and he was right!
The ABV is well hidden, can be a sipper or dare I say, perhaps a fine session beer for a wild Summer party.

GREAT BEER, CHECK IT OUT!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.