Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPAGreen Flash West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,240 | Reviews: 1,847
4.31/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 12 oz bottle (marked "BEST BY 24 August 15 F15031) poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Bright, clear amber copper with a lush, rocky off white head.

Smell: Grapefruit and pine needles with slight dankness.

Taste: Solid caramel malty base supports a full blast of hops: pine resin, grapefruit and herbal bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, slight oiliness and good, moderate carbonation.

Overall: Big, juicy, hoppy - prototypical West Coast IPA.

4.98/5  rDev +18%

Appearance: Perfect dark copper color
Smell: As I crack the bottle open, humongous hints of pine hit me in the face. I pour it in a glass and can smell it from 3 feet away.
Taste: Foretaste a huge amount of pine. Back end has the sourness of grapefruit. Aftertaste sticks around an incredibly long time. Some malts in there- enough to keep minimal balance. A few minutes later i'm thinking, "Wow this is bitter!"
Mouthfeel: Definitely a warmth after a few sips
Overall: This is easily the best beer I've ever had

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

A little strong for my liking but it is a great Cali ipa

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Great example of west coast IPA. Pine slightly malty with a great mouth feel. Alcohol is well hidden i could drink this all day.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Solid. Full of hop flavor I rate it a 93/100. Drank it after the sculpin. Doesn't compare to that.

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%

Tried it on tap at Danny K's in Anaheim California

3.61/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I love this beer's intensity. Coppery golden good looks, striking bottle and label, branding etc. always lead me back to this old standby however...I think its profile and overall hop balance is too mottled. It cannot decide if it's a floral/citrus or a piney bitter bomb. Aroma is definitely citrus but the flavor never truly grabs me and said "drink more of me NOW". And ultimately that's what I want. What makes me come back is their consistent lineup (green bullet, palate wrecker, hop head, etc), merch, and branding. So a month or two go by and I buy another and think, "oh yeah...". So this is more a reminder to myself. You can move along and ignore.

Does anybody read these?

4.99/5  rDev +18.2%

A: Brilliant amber under a 2” off-white foam cap that leaves specs of lace.
S: Minty, citrusy nose with traces of fresh sawdust.
T: A slightly sweet big melon presence supported by a strong malt character dries out in a herbal, grapefruit and pine bitter finish. While hop driven there is a strong balancing grainy malt backbone for support.
M: Rich and creamy, medium full body, medium carbonation.
O: Green Flash provides a lesson in how to do hops to maximize the flavor while retaining a dominating hop bitterness.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Had this on tap at BJ's, a little flat, but drinkable

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a huge foam that never dissipates. Creamy lacing forms intricate shapes on the glass. Fruity, citrus, tropical aroma. Lots of hop oils. Fresh flowers. Intensely bitter hop character beginning to end. Grapefruit, pine needles and dish detergent are most prominent. Pleasant hop oils and alpha acids. Hint of honey and bread malt character attempts to balance. Hop dominance is acceptable and encouraged here. Medium to full bodied. Bone dry from the hop assault. Leaves my palate in devastation. Been a while since I've tried a new DIPA this good. A welcome treat.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Hoppy but smooth aftertaste. Great beer.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a golden honey colored amber with a moderate head. Pleasant hoppy smell with a commensurate taste. Recommended!

Grabbed a bomber of this from TW in Chantilly; $6.99, I think. Not bad.

Appearance: honey colored liquid with bulbous head. Tons of sticky lace.

Smell: fruit(y) sweetness, pine, and sugary malt. The scent really whets the appetite!

Taste: Exactly as it smells! A perfect name for the ale since it tastes exactly like you would imagine a "west coast" ale should (i.e. citrus perfectly balanced with bitterness and sweet malt. Amazing!

Mouthfeel: ACE!

Overall: buy this beer whenever available. Definitely a great example of the style. MUCH better than other GF examples I've tried.
Prost!

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

This is a fantastic west coast IPA. This is my go-to beer at the grocery store if something else doesn't peak my interest that night.

1.54/5  rDev -63.5%

No on this guy. Just can't

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

love this amazingly complex double ipa, 4 different hops with competing mouth sensations from citrus to pine. 95 ibu's and plus 8 % alcohol complete this insanely delicious ipa.

4.07/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A standard pour unleashes a fury of burnt orange brew into the glass. It's volcanic for several minutes, leaving a big head with excellent lacing. Strong piney smell with orange peels. Strong soury bitter punches you in the face, accompanied by some banana, lemon rind tastes. A bit tacky aftertaste, but overall smooth.

Lots of flavor punches, but lacking on balance. Very good, but for me not among the elite IPAs

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The look, smell, taste, and feel of this beer is perfect when I think of a dipa. A nice balance between the malts and hops. This brew is definitely in my top 10.

4.66/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In your face Hops, I love it! Tried it on recommendation at a tap house and it met my expectations for hoppy awesomeness that is so characteristic of our beers on this side of the nation.
4.5/5
O.B.D91

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I think I might have picked up an old bottle; all logic suggests I should have enjoyed this a lot more than I did.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't like "west coast IPAs" & I think that category is stupid.
This beer is great.
I get it every time I see it.
I am quite contrary, no?

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smell is honey, sane heavy sweetness in the taste fades to a resinous pine bitterness. Sticky mouthfeel. Not my favorite DIPA

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

great sight and taste and a long bitter

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%

Average ipa, citra centric, good aroma ma poor taste profile. Good bitternes ar the end but not much tropical notes that i expected in a Dipa like this. I had better feeling with old version, normal ipa but maximal flavour.

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Smell: Notes of pine, grapefruit, malty.

Appearance: Thin lacy head, rich amber color.

Taste: Grapefruit, pine, very hop forward. Medium to full body on the mouth feel. One of the best IPAs I've personally ever tasted.

Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.