Green Flash West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash West Coast IPA
No picture uploaded.

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash West Coast IPA Alström Bros

Maegodfrey14, Jul 02, 2012

Jeff22, Nov 23, 2012

squirrel49, Apr 27, 2014

CarleneBeck, Aug 09, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

Reviewed 9/18/2008 (bottle):

Pours an amber coloredcolored body, clear, with a creamy white color head, huge but diminishing. Has a grapefruity aroma, with some sweet maltiness. Somewhat smooth watery taste, bitter aftertaste. Okay but not much body.

jujubeast6000, Mar 24, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. It ought to be said that IPAs are usually me least favourite style. I'm hoping this is an exception.

A: Pours a three finger head of nice soft cream lacing, good thickness, and very good retention (especially for the 7.3% ABV). Dark caramel-copper colour.

Sm: Citra hops - and that's it. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Very hoppy without being overly bitter. Some caramelized malt intrudes, a feature I don't find welcome. Foundation is bland barley. Build is simple and largely imbalanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but also artificial. It's very strange and doesn't at all suit the taste. Bleh!

Dr: Drinkable for the ABV, but comprised of low quality flavours that turn me away. I won't be having this again.

kojevergas, Sep 19, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

12oz into 22oz pint glass, no freshness date.

A- pale pale body and a big white head that takes a while to settle. A nice lace ring and some streaks down the glass.

S- Pretty inviting sweet flowers and fruit, and a bit of fusel alcohol.

T-Grapefruit and dish soap. Lots of bitter grapefruit rind, the soapiness is not welcome. I've come across this a few times before, not sure if it's a combination of pale malt and a certain hop variety or what. Not my cup o' tea. Not a whole lot of depth to this one either.

M- Very bitter and a bit astringent. Not really winning any points here. Not bad, but I'm not impressed.

O- Aggressively bitter but ultimately lacking the focus I expect from a west coast IPA. Something I doubt I'll revisit in this cutthroat IPA market. Much better coming out of California.

ShogoKawada, Sep 06, 2011
2.84/5  rDev -32.7%

JohnBradSC, Aug 16, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From cask ...

The beer poured an orange light brown color with a lacey head that retained well beyond the initial pour. There was a slight cloudiness to the beer, but quite minimal and transparent overall.

The smell was exceptional ... what you'd expect from an IPA. Very fresh on the nose with a grassy pine aroma that you'd expect from a walk in the forest.

The citrus notes came in very strong all the way through from sip to swallow. Grapefruit is the overwhelming flavor, one that I'm not particularly fond of.

This flavor left you with an extremely dry feel in the mouth in terms of the overall finish. I couldn't help but feel parched on the tongue.

The tastes I was not fond of mellowed out after by about the second or third pint; however, the first pint was not easy to drink.

On Night #2 of trying this, I was not able to get past the first pint at all; hence my low score in drinkability.

I'm quite a Hop Head --- but I'm not a fan of grapefruit so it makes it quite difficult for me to appreciate this particular beer despite my love for IPAs.

I'd probably overlook this beer in the future, but would be very interested in trying other beers from this brewery.

madmanjf, Feb 13, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice.

A: Pleasant, frothy head tops an amber-clear beer. Great lacing.

S: West coast hops...surprise, surprise. I suspect the C's...Definitely Cascade/Centennial. Pine, a touch of fruit, and a bit of garlic.

T: Disappointing, dull, and not nearly as good as I remember it. Vegetal hops are reminiscent of boiled cabbage. A pine bite on the endtaste can't make up for the muddled and poor maintaste. Dry finish.

M: Lightly carbonated. The sense of flatness comes from the boring flavor, rather than the actual mouthfeel.

O: I can't recommend this particular iteration of what I'm sure is a very fine IPA. Alas.

AgentMunky, May 17, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -30.6%

Has a nice smokey smell to it, which does not translate into taste as the IBUs are out of this world. This beer pretty much ruins your tastebuds for any additional tastings.

Overall it's not a bad beer for a bitter but I wouldn't consider it a good IPA.

Norfawkers, Jun 05, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -30.1%

I don't know if this is unfiltered or not but this is definitely a hazy orange color with some sediment floating around in this one. Their is a slight white head with some lacing left on the glass.

Their is a lot of pine aroma and with a faint malt aroma buried in between the hops.

This one is dominated by the piney hops that at some points tend to get quite grassy. The hops are traditional to the west coast style of a slick feel that coats the tongue with an oily feeling and leaves quite a bitter aftertaste. I like my IPA's to have more of a fruity taste which is missing in this one. Probably will pass on this one next time.

Hokies, Mar 01, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -30.1%

NOTE: I BELIEVE I HAD A BAD POUR BASED ON OTHER REVIEWS. Read the following to hear why.

I don't understand how this beer got anything more than average if it is supposed to taste like the beer I was given last night. I feel like I've had this beer before, and really enjoyed it, which is why I ordered it last night, but something must have happened to the keg or my glass at the restaurant I was at.

A: It came in a short fluted snifter, sorta like a belgian ale glass and the appearance was a cloudy amber, a nice rich color for an IPA. Average off-white head.

S: This is where the biggest issue was: It smelled like caramelized onions. Other scents barely noticeable. It was like someone had rimmed the glass with sweet cooked onions. Sort of buttery too, which is weird. Not much of that fresh hoppy aroma that I was expecting.

T: Nice and hoppy, crisp citrus, but with a good balance of the sweet malts to balance the beer out, but, as a large part of flavor is smell, i couldn't help but feel like I was also eating buttered onion crackers. It was pretty awful. The smell really ruined the beer.

M: A nice combination of a heavy mouth feel, but with the crispness of an IPA. Went down smooth.

O: The smell really ruined this one. I hope it was just a bad glass and not the beer because I remember liking this one. Maybe I'll complain to the restaurant that either someone with onions on their hands handled my beer, or the dishwasher isn't working as well as it should (it's a new restaurant so who knows). Very very strange...

Deingeist, Sep 29, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer was very light, nothing about this beer stood out. A very simple IPA, I would not recommend this beer. When I saw the beer color I was excited with anticipation, but after I tasted the beer I understood why it was so cheap. The glass is pretty cool though.

Penderazdoun, Jun 15, 2013
2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

Murky orange color with a cream colored head. Smelled to me sort of like paste, (of course it is allergy season so my sniffer might be off...) and a richness. Good hoppiness jumped right out at me, but has a nice bitter flavor. Thin body that washes down easily leaving a strong aftertaste of hops and almost a latent smokiness, like with scotch. A bit too much for all day, but an enjoyable flavor explosion to relax with.

Brno, Aug 19, 2010

blabaer, Oct 28, 2013

Lanstrum, Mar 29, 2013

labattblueribbon, Nov 14, 2013

This beer pours a slightly hazy amber with a thin head and lacing to the end. The aroma is fruity, with hints of pine and sweet malt. The flavor is citrus fruit, mainly grapefruit with pine, grass, and toffee notes. The mouthfeel is meedium and slightly dry. Green Flash West Coast IPA is a good beer, a good match for chicken burritos. Recommended.

B967ierhunter177, Nov 15, 2011

ClayO, May 19, 2013

user785335, Sep 16, 2013

tvv375ia, Oct 11, 2012

TerryB, Jul 15, 2013

tbone64, Jul 03, 2014
Green Flash West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.