Barleywine Style Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Barleywine Style AleBarleywine Style Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  10.90% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 11-08-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

12-16-2011 07:37:02 | More by SnaxStL
Brewji

British Columbia (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On first pour, it glows with a rich, reddish amber colour, and a lacy white head top. I sniffed this beer like some people sniff flowers (I unfortunately am allergic to pollen). I took in a lot of deep malty scents, and hops, and...that's about it. But not in a bad way, this brew smelled righteous, knowing ahead of time that something big was going to happen. It's like a referee calling a penalty shot in overtime, going in for the big sip was the shot, and the overall taste determined whether or not the deke attempt worked.

Taking the first sip, I expected a train wreck of malty hops. However, I was greeted by a strong, pleasant malty tone, followed by a nice transition into an intense malty flavour, and a crisp, clean after taste. I was so impressed by the after taste, the clean-ish feeling that I got, that it made me want more. This is finally a brew over 10% that will leave you wanting more! Imagine Datsyuk with a highlight reel goal on a breakaway...naturally you'd want more (so long as he's not scoring on your team).

The first, middle, and end tastes are phenomenal. There are no complaints, as everything flows together, while still leaving a memorable taste that would definitely make me want to order this again. If you (or your friends) are new to barleywines, this is a definite first step into the world of 10%+ beers.

The Green Flash Brewing Co. BarleyWine gets a phenomenal penalty-shot-goal-in-overtime 9.5 / 10

03-25-2014 22:46:04 | More by Brewji
dmlasp

Arizona

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

From a 22 oz. bottle (about 4.99 at Total Wine) into a chilled pint glass, pours a deep orange-brown with a thick head. Tastes rich and full, with citrus overtones and pine undertones with an IPA-like bitterness. Some caramel flavoring underneath. It's a lot to take, but tasty nonetheless.

09-13-2011 05:09:53 | More by dmlasp
wampahoofus

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

I let this bottle sit in my basement for almost three years. It was a vintage 2008.

The beer poured cloudy dark amber-brown with a creamy white head with a decent amount of retention and lacing.

The beer has lots of aroma. I smell brown sugar, toffee, and an assertive amount of hops.

The malts have broken down into a sweet, rich brown-sugar sweetness. The flavor is rich and smooth with vanilla, toffee and quite a bit of hops. I am surprised by the level of hops considering the age.

The beer is thick and rich on the palette. The flavor is assertive and rich.

This was worth the time for the aging. I will look for this and cellar a 5 or 6 of these. I highly recommend that you add this to your cellar!

04-25-2011 20:28:34 | More by wampahoofus
Jgrody

09-15-2013 16:26:05 | More by Jgrody
ScaryEd

09-26-2013 22:37:47 | More by ScaryEd
bheilman

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Best beer I've ever had. It has such an intense hops presence that I would guess that it was an IPA or double IPA. For days after I was thinking about how good this beer was. It does have a significant malt flavor, but it is matched so well with the bold hops freshness that it is less noticeable. I would say its the best balance of hops and barley that I have ever had, making it a nearly perfect beer. Go out of your way to drink this beer, you won't regret it.

11-28-2008 14:30:20 | More by bheilman

randylangford

02-13-2013 01:25:18 | More by randylangford
11millsown113

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%

bought this beer without really knowing about it. the women at the register immediately said it was an excellent barley wine.

poured a nice amber color and had a very nice hop aroma.

it was a very smooth taste with a great hop aftertaste. many barley wines have a very sweet taste to them (sometimes almost sickly sweet). but this is just right. the 10.9 ABV is very well hidden by the hops and is extremely smooth.

overall this was an excellent barley wine, would defiantly buy it again to share with friends.

12-18-2011 15:21:37 | More by 11millsown113
McLaughlin5350

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%

this beer poured reddish brown. smelled of hops and molasses. the taste was different from the other barley wines i have had. it had a good bit of a hops taste to it but it also still had that typical slight fruitness of most barely wines. I really enjoyed this beer and would not hesitate to get it again. I haven't had anything from this brewery yet that i have disliked.

12-18-2011 16:51:52 | More by McLaughlin5350
Pencible

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%

This poured a nearly opaque ruby brown with tan head. It smelled like a blend of roasted wheat and raisins, caramel malt, and floral hops. It had a well balanced flavor of cherries, raisins, and floral hops, along with molasses and caramel malt. It was thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a brief but very bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a very rich flavor with nice complexity that results in a quite enjoyable beer. This could possibly benefit even further from aging.

05-15-2008 00:10:22 | More by Pencible
SamJory

United Kingdom (England)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

650 ml bomber, 2010 vintage poured into a snifter.

Pours a dark ruby, fairly opaque with an off-white head.

On the nose I immediately get the caramel malt and rich fruity esters along with some hops in there too.

On the palate the fruity esters, caramel malt and hops hit you first, which gives way to a vinous warmth. The aging has given this beer such a beautiful balance - not overly sweet with malt and not overly bitter and more like a double IPA like some other American barleywines. The taste is incredibly smooth, rounded with some piney bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is full, and the finish lasts and lasts. I had this beer a few months ago when it came in from the warehouse from work, and now it's come back it's even better. A very special experience.

05-16-2013 17:57:07 | More by SamJory
DogFood11

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip it forms a loose tan head that has some rather large bubbles burst down to some solid islands. Ruddy Brown body looks sturdy. Spider like lacing for such a high alcohol brew.

Quite the wave of hops hit the nose right up front. Very fresh and vibrant smelling. First impression was that if this had more density and depth of character it would be ranked even higher. The taste is excellent but it lacks some body and is actually kind of thin for a barleywine. Hops are up front and hold true throughout. They finally give way towards the finish and allows a slightly wooded malt bill with some sugared and caramelized finishing sweetness. This one will linger a bit long after each pull. It has a distinct coating of the palate that lends itself to drinking with some food to clean it up or like me just chew on it for a while. The complexity picks up as it warms and this is another one that got better as it went along. A citrusy lemon peel aspect developes late in the aftertaste. Yummy stuff. Green flash is on to something here and I hope to see this more often. This has cellar qualities to it.

Notes: This is a healthy offering, sturdy, big and complex. Basically it is what I want in a barleywine for the most part. The only downside is it could pay a bit more attention to the depth of the malts. Hop profile was awesome. Mouthfeel was nice and I am craving another one as soon as I finished this one so Drinkability has to be up there. Second best offering from Green Flash and that speaks volumes.

12-12-2006 06:19:45 | More by DogFood11
mrasskicktastic

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

A - Slightly hazy ruby brown with a large head (huge by barley wine standards) that lingers for minutes and leaves big rings of lacing all over the glass.

S - Pure hop resin. Pine and apricot over a strong rose aroma. This smells a lot like Pliny the Elder. I absolutely love it. Abv undetectable.

T - Awesome. A resiny pine hop dominates the foretaste, almost no bitterness. The aftertaste has a linging pine and grapefruit bitterness, but it is subdued with a biscuity overtone. The malt profile is subdued. That is the only drawback. The outstanding hop kick makes you forget all about the lack of malt until the end of the beer though.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, very refreshing too.

D - I would have guessed this was a Double IPA, in the hoppy vein of Pliny or Hop Wallop, and not a barleywine. But I love it either way. I like it more than almost any double IPA or barleywine to date. In fact this is one of the best beers I can remember having. This is so easy to drink and tastes great. The smell is enchanting. I love this beer. If you love hops, seek it out.

01-14-2007 01:45:21 | More by mrasskicktastic
ChazMania

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Bomber.

a) poured into my pint glass, perhaps there is a better glass to drink this from.

s) rather light for such a rich brew, either that or I'm drunk and can't smell.

t) fantastic. Big rich full malty hoppy caramel toffee utter deliciousness.

m) thick and resinous. rather over the top, but in a good way.

d) i used to not like barleywines but this one brought me around. this is maybe my third or fourth bomber and it's consistently tasty.

05-27-2007 01:30:07 | More by ChazMania
ccrida

Oregon

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Hommel snifter, Green Flash's barelywine is a clear garnet with a fluffy, 2 finger, light khaki head that is pretty thick mildly long lingering, leaving sheets of foamy lace. Served at slightly below cellar temp. I have to point out how lame it is that the label cites this as a "vintage" BW, yet there's not date to know what vintage it is!!! I assume mine is this years...still, the beer itself look fantastic, further underscoring my assumption of freshness.

Aroma is in classic American BW, gingerbread and brown-sugar caramel malts with a big charge of citrusy hops that come across like succulent jonagold apple - I can almost feel the juice dripping down my chin! Still, it's not as aggressive as some, which I appreciate, although theres not question it's boozy.

Taste is nice and more balanced then I expected. I brought this home from Bailey's Tap Room, and the owner said it was actually closer to an English style then American, but being from Green Flash, I was skeptical...while the hop aromas are distinctly American, the taste is pleasantly subdued, not the bitter, palate buster that you find with, say a first year Old Crustacean...so kind of a mix in my mind, which I love. Wow, I'm really digging this! While I can taste the alcohol, I wouldn't have guessed 10%...it's certainly rich, but with a fairly clean finish. I don't know what it is about San Diego and barleywines, but they kill it...up there with Old Guardian as my all time favorite, although this is only my first bomber, so I'll have to have a few more before I declare that.

Mouthfeel is creamy and only medium bodied for the style.

This is really up there on my list of drinkable barelywines. Paired fantastically with tonights BBQ chicken (nothing but Sweet Baby Ray's). Luckily it's readily available in my market, because I only picked up one, and that won't cut it! I'm sure it won't cellar poorly, but this is really so fantastic right now, I'm not sure I'd bother...might have to pick up a case for snowboard season if my home-brewed BWs for this year don't turn out as good, which I can't imagine they will!

10-23-2007 05:01:54 | More by ccrida
jbphoto88

4.58/5  rDev +18%

Hazed blood orange color with a fantastic head. Surprising on a beer that has 10+% ABV. Orange highlights are visible on the glass edge. The cap is yellow sand colored and fluffy. Nice lacing and good retention.

The nose is pure joy for a hop head. A sweet smelling combination of juicy fruit gum, citrus and pine. It's all backed up by a solid caramelized malt bill. One of the best barleywine noses I've ever had the pleasure of sticking my snout in.

The taste lives up to the nose with generous amounts of hops and malts. The hop profile ranges from lemony citrus, tropical fruit, floral tea and pine. None of which dominate but are more layered and shine equally strong. The grains are sweet and slightly roasted giving a caramel and honey flavor. Well done.

This beer just gets better in the mouthfeel. Creamy but still with a sharp hop bite. Full body with a lighter carbonation and a sweet yet dry finish. I'm in love, and on the way to a great beer buzz because the ABV is masked by awesomeness. This was a 2010 bottle that I've aged for a few months before opening. If you see it, buy it. This is an exceptional beer and my new favorite in the style.

01-07-2011 23:38:47 | More by jbphoto88
Barleywine Style Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.