1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Ratings: 2046

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,046 | Reviews: 955 | Show All Ratings:
mattcrill

Aroma: Grassy green hop aroma up front with an odd corn-like sweetness that seems weird and out of place.

Appearance: Hazy amber pour with a sticky and sudsy off-white head that retains well.

Flavor: Ick. Corn-like sweetness followed by some earthy bitterness. Onion-like flavors follow and more grassy hop notes. Straw-like hops and fresh cut grass. Balance is to the hops. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is long and oniony.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall impression: This is bad. Summit+Nugget hops = epic disaster. I'm not sure what happened but the recipe formulation is terrible. Avoid.

01-01-2012 22:15:48 | More by mattcrill
CaptDavyJones

2.03/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this on-tap and was served in a 10 oz glass.
Hazy amber color with a one finger foamy head that dissipated fairly quickly.
There was a slight whiff of hops upfront, but within a few seconds the aroma turned extremely pungent.
Taste was downright unpalatable. It felt like a mouthful of roasted Brussels sprouts squashed in a mixer. I have never experienced such a foul taste profile in any IPA or DIPA till date.
It was quite the experience, one which I hope never repeats itself. I could only go halfway through the 10 oz and returned the beer.
I hope this was a one-off case and that the beer had gone bad in the keg.
Hopefully my opinion will change when I get the chance to taste this ale from a bottle.

11-26-2011 23:56:47 | More by CaptDavyJones
Duffmanohyeah02

Missouri

2.05/5  rDev -49.8%

Disclaimer: This was the first time I tried this beer on either Tap or Bottle

Poured in a 5oz sampler at Chesterfield Itap.

A: Golden hazy goodness with an off-white head and some sticky lacing

S:Smells of citrus, pine, and some malty sweetness

T: ICK! Tastes like onions, onion, onions, with a bit of sweetness to it.

O: Because of the rancid onion taste I have to rate this low. It was just purely aweful. I couldnt finish my 5oz. However, after reading some other reviews, looks like Ill have to try this in bottle, as it seems quite tasty how others describe it. IDK, maybe it was a bad keg or there was something in the lines.

01-05-2012 15:50:17 | More by Duffmanohyeah02
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

So I stupidly ordered this today at the Falling Rock after disliking three bottles! I'd drink one, get disgusted, and a couple months later I'd think "nah, must have been a bad bottle" and I buy another which provides the same results. I'm so smart I thought well, I'll try it on tap! It looked great so I can't knock that. The aroma started hoppy and ok but then devolved into black pepper, fuck. The taste was more pepper, garlic, messed up. I cannot understand this beer. It does not make sense to me and I like hoppy beers. It is completely incongruous. Why can't they just make a double West Coast IPA?

04-01-2008 04:26:32 | More by ArrogantB
dasenebler

Maine

2.15/5  rDev -47.3%

22oz, no date or code to be found.

Pours a crystal clear gold with a nice one-finger head. Good retention.

Fragrant, spicy hops are belied by a stale cardboard note that reeks of oxidation.

Oh yeah, this one has some Summit hops in there. Lots of earthy and grassy hop character, with a definite garlic note. Pungent and spicy. Interesting and not as off-putting as some Summit-based IPAs, but I still don't like it. Tastes "dirty" to me. Malt body is surprisingly light for a DIPA. Mouthfeel is smooth, with medium-low carbonation.

I wasn't impressed with the oxidation and lack of date coding, especially considering this is Green Flash's first foray into Maine. And I'm not too impressed with the flavor of this DIPA. I'm generally not into the green onion/garlic chicken/"pungent" hops in IPAs, and in the end, this Green Flash offering sits no differently on my palate. Booo.

03-28-2012 00:06:50 | More by dasenebler
BARFLYB

2.23/5  rDev -45.3%

On Tap at Blue Dog.

Green Flash Imperial IPA came in a glass, the color was very bright golden wth some faint traces of orange. Much lighter than most DIPA's I've come across. A nice sturdy white head up top leaving minor stick. Smell is light grapefruit with a small amount of bubblegum and sweet malt scent. There is cabbage and dead veggie smell, sulfur, nasty musk after some warming. Taste wise GF Impy has grapefruit with minor amounts of other tropics, small pine, and a nice pale malt backing. This takes a complete 180 in the middle turning to sulfur, plastic, throwup and just plain nastiness. Hard to put down and harder to describe. Feel, GFIIPA goes down like a single and does not have the extra sweetness I find in alot of doubles. Carb is fine. This was not a good look but Im going to try it again off the tap and out the bottle just to make sure.

11-13-2011 21:38:18 | More by BARFLYB
glass_house

2.23/5  rDev -45.3%

22 oz. bottle poured into a footed tulip

Light amber-orange with two fingers of off-white head that leaves a nice collar and sticky lacing. Aroma is a little bit of bright citrus and a lot of dank, funky grass.

Initial taste is some piney bitterness, but is quickly overshadowed by pungent onion and garlic. I force myself to drink half of this bomber thinking it might get better, but it gets worse. I throw in the towel and dump the rest. I guess the mouthfeel was ok, but it's tough to tell since I'm so distracted by the onion.

Not sure what to think. I enjoyed Palate Wrecker, West Coast IPA, and Green Bullet. I want to be fair but this beer actually disgusted me. It was the first time I have EVER picked up the infamous garlic/onion in any IPA, and I don't know why. Appears to be rather fresh (best by 7/27/14). Maybe too fresh??? Maybe some day I'll give it another shot, but for the price of a bomber I doubt it

03-24-2014 16:34:10 | More by glass_house
charlzm

2.24/5  rDev -45.1%

Consumed at LAX Radisson beer dinner, 07/16/08.

Clear dark honey colored brew generates almost no head as it pours into the glass.

It's quite aromatic: cat piss and pine.

The mouthfeel is slightly thick, but I didn't really care much as the flavor was brutally bitter. With 101 IBUs, this one is as close to off the chart as my palate will ever be able to tell. Virtually no malt character (just a fleeting glimpse as it runs in terror from the hop avalanche hot on its heels).

Did I mention it's hoppy?

Don't think I'll ever be putting this thing in my mouth again.

07-18-2008 01:21:24 | More by charlzm
adamette

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

Live review. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle purchased at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio a few weeks ago. No observed "best by" or "freshness date" observed by me. Poured into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A Basic orange yellow translucent body under a typical generous whipped egg white head. All of that is typical of the style. 3.0

S As advertised, grapefruit hops and a healthy malt background, this beer smells very bitter and sweet (but not bittersweet!). True to style, no surprises. 3.5

T Bitter hops, big malt but a really revolting rubbing alcohol bitterness taste that lingers well into the aftertaste on the back of my tongue. I will wait and sip over time to see what the effect of warming has and get back to this. (later note): Nope, no change. The taste of this beer does not impress me. 2.0

M Well, a big beer with the intense bitterness and sweet malt bigness but also, unfortunately, thanks to the rubbing alcohol bitter aftertaste. 2.0

D Not good. I finished about 14 ounces of the 22 due to the bitter, unwelcome aftertaste. This is nothing that I want to continue to drink. Sorry. 1.5

Notes: I had heard good things about this Green Flash beer prior to buying it (which led me to try it). I am not impressed.

09-06-2009 05:07:33 | More by adamette
LilBeerDoctor

2.3/5  rDev -43.6%

Bottle. Pours a semi-cloudy orange with a thick off-white head. Aroma of grassy, garlicky hops, toasted malt, and sour grapefruit. Flavor of odd garlicky hops/ toasted malt. It's a strange flavor I sometimes get in IIPAs. This reminds me of DFH 90 min, and not in a good way. Almost undrinkable and rather nasty. Harsh palate. Ick.
6/4/4/2/10 (2.6/5)

01-09-2009 16:31:27 | More by LilBeerDoctor
sevenarts

2.38/5  rDev -41.7%

A: Pale golden orange, fluffy white head with moderate lacing.

S: Lots of well-blended hops: sweet citrus, pine, some vegetal, almost grassy aromas.

T/M: This is all over the place. Some sweet, citrusy hops up front, followed by pine bitterness and an at-times overwhelming garlic/onion flavor that comes and goes throughout, and is sometimes especially dominant in the aftertaste. Very weird, bordering on unpleasant.

O: This is very disappointing. I love the Green Flash West Coast IPA and Palate Wrecker, so I had high expectations for this one. But the hops here are kind of unpleasant, and are dominated by a strange, sickly garlic/onion/vegetal character that leaves a nasty aftertaste behind.

05-22-2012 22:07:42 | More by sevenarts
vtfan77

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

A- Light gold with a big, fluffy white head and good lacing.

S- Big initial burst of piney hops. There are some underlying sweet fruity aromas including orange, grapefruit, and a little bit of a cotton candy smell.

T- A bit of sweet malt, then an intense bitterness. Hop flavors are rather nondescript. Not balanced in the least. The focus seems to be entirely on the bitterness and not on the flavor. Alcohol is unusually noticeable. I'd expect a little alcohol flavor from a 9% brew, but this is uncharacteristically strong. Generous bitterness on the finish.

M- Not bad, but not great either. A little thin, but not too highly carbonated. Pretty average.

D- Not very drinkable. The flavor just isn't very good, and the alcohol is not well-hidden. I'll have trouble finishing the bomber, and may not even do that.

Wow, this just wasn't good. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but I was at least hoping for a decent, drinkable DIPA. What I got was a complete mess. Now I don't mind bitterness, but if there's no hop flavor to go along with it, then it's pointless. I couldn't find a date on this bottle, so I'm almost wondering if it's a little past its prime or otherwise tainted. If all the bottles taste like this, then I would recommend staying away from this beer. I've had this brewery's barleywine and it's much better, so I'd suggest going with that instead.

02-26-2007 01:40:56 | More by vtfan77
clickpush

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Pour: 22oz bomber to tulip glass. Vigorous pour yields vigorous head - about 3.5 finger white head over clear gold body. Sticky descent is slow paced, head is pock marked and corroded, fluffy and light.

Nose: Sweet hoppy smell. All pine and pineapple. Seriously.

Mouth: Almost no carbonation. Overly sweet. Quite bitter, w/ lingering hop flavors and alcohol heat. The malt character is quite boring, no depth - just unfermented sugar (maybe brown sugar flavor?) and pounding grapefruit hoppiness. Served this one around 55-60 degrees hoping that would open it up a bit, but nothing's going on here. I'm thinking some chilling may have improved the mouthfeel, but it's really pretty undrinkable.

04-24-2007 07:50:38 | More by clickpush
deepchills

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Slightest cloudiness in a golden pour with a 1 inch head.

Extremely grassy and floral nose with a little orange underneath.

Very grassy start with a medium bitterness. The grassy flavor is strong throughout. Some lemon zest, orange or tangerine as well.

Great mouth feel and well carbonated.

I found the grassy flavor to be far to overpowering. Even letting the beer warm didn’t change the strong grassy taste. It’s not a flavor I hate, but I would prefer it to be balanced better. I love Green Flash Brewing, and their West Coast IPA is among my favorites. However I didn’t like the Imperial version and won’t buy it again.

01-08-2012 16:54:16 | More by deepchills
JamnesCameron

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%

Have been hearing good things about this beer.

A - Poured into a pint glass. Pours light copper with off white head. Good lace on the glass.

S - not sure about this one. hops are woody, earthy and an odor that I can't quite place. But it's not very pleasant.

T - worse than the smell. Shockingly bitter, piney. Not a hop profile that I particularly like.

M - astrigent bitterness, mouth puckering.

D - not for me, I won't try again. If you like piney hops, this is for you.

09-05-2009 01:31:06 | More by JamnesCameron
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%

Got this at De Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam.

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger medium-thick white head with great retention. Perfectly clear amber orange in color with lower amounts of carbonation. Head fades to a thin wisp and a foamy ring, leaving some lacing. A film remains and leaves lots of nice lacing down the glass. Good looking for sure, and surprisingly clear for the style.

SMELL: Pale malts, lots of floral hops and some pine notes too. Hints of melon and some soapy notes in there as well. A little odd.

TASTE: Pale malts and touches of flowery hops, but quite a muted initial taste. Lacking up front, unfortunately. Finishes with some melon, citrus, and bitter pine notes, but not all that overwhelming either. Aftertaste is mild but lingers nicely on the palate. The taste only showed up well after the swallow, and what did show up was not all that bold or impressive.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Semi-creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Decent here.

OVERALL: A little disappointed with this one. Looked great and the aftertaste delivered at least something, but the initial taste was almost non-existent and nose had a little odd soapy quality to it that didn't quite jive with me. Still drinkable enough, just not all that much going on. This was the least appealing of the Green Flash line-up I was able to try. I enjoyed their regular IPA and their Hop Head Red, but I'd pass on this one.

06-23-2010 13:14:33 | More by Jeffo
gabedivision

2.65/5  rDev -35%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22ounce bottle to a tulip glass.

A- pours a clear golden amber with a 2 finger head that sticks and settles to the side of the glass.

S- stinks of schwag weed, green peppers? Onion and garlic. A must of wet cardboard and pungent lemon pepper.

T- bready caramel, toasted bread, roasted garlic, huge pepper right In the middle. Weird flavors all over. Not very enjoyable at all, had to go back and check the bottle to see if it was the ipa. Wtf.

M- medium bodied bready, extremely veggie, soft and dry on the finish.

O- overall, well, this isn't my cup of tea. No bottling date may play into it but it's just weird. Earthy, peppery, vegal, not digging this what so ever. High expectations, very low result.

04-22-2012 01:29:35 | More by gabedivision
mactrail

2.78/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Seems to have the same hops and flavor of the West Coast IPA, which may be great for you but not for me. More harsh than mellow, considering the big malty profile. Extravagant flare of hop fragrance and bitterness. Not a bad hop flavor, but just totally overdone. Very sharp, on the acidic side.

Appearance is nice, well foamed and plenty of spritz in the mouth. But it cuts right to the tongue. Only thing I can say on the plus side is the hops are extremely floral and not at all bad as aromatics, but they are overwhelmed by the dank grapefruit peel. I tried flavoring a couple of less hoppy beers, but the Green Flash took over like a bad dog.

03-20-2012 05:56:52 | More by mactrail
kojevergas

2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

Served on-draught into a Newcastle glass at 1739 Public House in Los Feliz, California. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were above average given the brewery.

A: Pours a beige colour two finger head, somewhat thin, with no real cream and of typical retention. Colour is a hazy ruby-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubbl show.

Sm: Citrus and floral hops, some pine, and clean malts. Some light toasted character. An average strength aroma.

T: Floral hops, with off-putting bitterness towards the climax. Clean malts form the foundation. Little citrus; not enough to make it refreshing. A bit stale on the finish. Simple and imbalanced. A poor IPA. Not at all subtle.

Mf: Dreadfully thin; unable to support the flavours. Nicely crisp, though. A bit overcarbonated. Smoothness is off.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable for the style. Hides its ABV well. A middling, average effort from Green Flash. Enjoyable enough I guess, but priced quite high at $6.75. I wouldn't get this again.

Low C

11-06-2012 17:47:50 | More by kojevergas
n2185

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%

A: Pours a very hazy orange with two fingers of fluffy white head. Head recedes into a thin white cap but leaves nice lacing.

S: A little caramel malt up front followed by a hint of sweet citrus and then lots of sticky, resiny pine.

T: Similar to the aroma, there's a slight sweetness with some citrus up front but then the resin and pine kick in, knocking every other flavor out of the way. Finish is quite bitter and lingers on the tongue well after the sip is taken.

M: Medium body and carbonation that provides a kick for the bitterness. There's an oily texture to it as well.

D: With the lingering bitterness and oily texture, it's not all that drinkable.

Overall, not a bad DIPA, but a bitter bomb without much complexity.

02-13-2011 22:56:28 | More by n2185
BucannonXC5

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a draft into a pint glass at KnB Wine Cellars in San Diego, Calif. Color was hazy orange. An inch of head. Some lacing on the top, but not too much. Lots of film on the sides throughout.

Smelled citrus hops, but very light. Grapefruit seems to lead the way.

The taste is where it went downhill fast. The initial taste was straight skunky. Very bitter hops. Then came some old dishwater. Bitter aftertaste.

Medium body. Average carbonation. Dry finish.

I don’t get the high ratings for this beer. I thought it was just average, especially compared to other double IPA’s. Maybe I got a bad pour, but I don’t think so. I won’t be trying this again.

10-07-2011 06:22:53 | More by BucannonXC5
madmanjf

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

I had this from a cask-conditioned woodpin, day #2 of being opened.

This particular batch was a cloudy apricot color with little to no carbonation. Some slight large bubbles were apparent from the initial pour, but they quickly dissipated to a flat appearance. There was a substantial amount of sediment suspended in the beer which was not dropping to the bottom of the glass. In fairness to the brewery, I will admit the woodpin was disturbed prior to my glass being poured.

The aroma was simply outstanding. It had a sweet hop presence which was citrus in nature; however, I found it to be sweetly unique in that it resembled a pineapple moreso than orange or grapefruit.

The beer had a sweet start with a grapefruit presence in flavor which was quick on the tounge. A Flas (no pun intended) of hops with a bitter finish was also present.

The sensation was initially a watery entrance with a slight effervencent feeling on the toungue. The finish was quite dry.

Overally, I'd have to say this beer is not well balanced. There is no malt presence, and it comes off as being a hop bomb for no specific reason other than to see how hoppy a hop beer can get. I like IPAs, but I did not care for this one or it's non-imperial counterpart (reviewed previously).

I had 1 12oz pour which I could not finish.

Serving type: cask

04-16-2008 23:59:26 | More by madmanjf
harkjohnny

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Shared a 22oz with 3 friends and have to say I'm glad I did. I could not have finished this beer by myself. Maybe it's that I'm a FORMER hophead who has since found myself preferring malt and yeast as the more prevalant flavors in my beer but this was just outrageous. And not necessarily in a good way.

Appearance is a bit light colored for what I expected but not off with lasting head, though virtually no lacing.

Aroma just smacks the insides of the nose with scents of earthy pine and one of my buddies suggested the smell of a certain herbal substance that won't be named. The smell is certainly not citrus as many here suggest.

The flavor has virturally no malt to be found but just biting bitterness and hop flavors that run from pine straight to licking wood. Guess that's what they mean by a "san diego IPA" on the bottle.

For me, drinkability is somewhat poor even considering that this is a sipping beer @ 9%. As mentioned before I could not have finished this beer alone. Sorry GF, this one really didn't do it for me. Guess I'll go back to the East coast next time I want a double IPA.

11-09-2008 02:59:22 | More by harkjohnny
BigMike

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Tulip.

Pours a tangerine orange color. With some gold and apricot highlights. A beautiful white creamy head tops it off with some decent lacing.

Smell is strong fresh grapefruit and candied pineapple and orange zest.

Flavor is very uneven. This one is a hop monster. I love hops as much as the next guy but this one was just pure bitterness. Grapefruit and orange and tangerine peel. Rubbing alcohol dominates the finish and makes it hard to swallow.

Mouthfeel is rich and oily. Coats the tongue with hoppy biterness. A bit overly carbonated

Due to the unbalance of this one i scored the drinkability a 3. I was really disappointed in this one. I've had other beers from green flash that i really enjoyed. This not being one of them.

09-18-2009 22:19:12 | More by BigMike
cbl2

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

2/2/2007 $5.25 22 oz. 9.00% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a weak, hazy orange that is topped by a half inch of tight white head that slowly settles.

Aroma:

Fresh (too fresh) nose blistering hops (a combo of Summit and Nugget varieties) masks a backround of muted citrus. Herbal notes are too intense, and approaching mulch pile in fragrance.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Harsh metallic/medicinal notes kick off this taste-bud obliterator. The 101 IBU's are more than apparent (coupled with a pine sensation) as my palate puckers in defense of this affront to my senses. I love DIPA's when they are done well, but this one is not. Too one sided, with very little balance (a note of sweetness appears towards the end, I think. My mouth was a little too busy recuperating to notice).

02-02-2007 19:09:18 | More by cbl2
Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.