Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
nanobrew

11-14-2011 16:17:35 | More by nanobrew
deepchills

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

Slightest cloudiness in a golden pour with a 1 inch head.

Extremely grassy and floral nose with a little orange underneath.

Very grassy start with a medium bitterness. The grassy flavor is strong throughout. Some lemon zest, orange or tangerine as well.

Great mouth feel and well carbonated.

I found the grassy flavor to be far to overpowering. Even letting the beer warm didn’t change the strong grassy taste. It’s not a flavor I hate, but I would prefer it to be balanced better. I love Green Flash Brewing, and their West Coast IPA is among my favorites. However I didn’t like the Imperial version and won’t buy it again.

01-08-2012 16:54:16 | More by deepchills
vtfan77

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

A- Light gold with a big, fluffy white head and good lacing.

S- Big initial burst of piney hops. There are some underlying sweet fruity aromas including orange, grapefruit, and a little bit of a cotton candy smell.

T- A bit of sweet malt, then an intense bitterness. Hop flavors are rather nondescript. Not balanced in the least. The focus seems to be entirely on the bitterness and not on the flavor. Alcohol is unusually noticeable. I'd expect a little alcohol flavor from a 9% brew, but this is uncharacteristically strong. Generous bitterness on the finish.

M- Not bad, but not great either. A little thin, but not too highly carbonated. Pretty average.

D- Not very drinkable. The flavor just isn't very good, and the alcohol is not well-hidden. I'll have trouble finishing the bomber, and may not even do that.

Wow, this just wasn't good. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but I was at least hoping for a decent, drinkable DIPA. What I got was a complete mess. Now I don't mind bitterness, but if there's no hop flavor to go along with it, then it's pointless. I couldn't find a date on this bottle, so I'm almost wondering if it's a little past its prime or otherwise tainted. If all the bottles taste like this, then I would recommend staying away from this beer. I've had this brewery's barleywine and it's much better, so I'd suggest going with that instead.

02-26-2007 01:40:56 | More by vtfan77
JamnesCameron

2.58/5  rDev -36.9%

Have been hearing good things about this beer.

A - Poured into a pint glass. Pours light copper with off white head. Good lace on the glass.

S - not sure about this one. hops are woody, earthy and an odor that I can't quite place. But it's not very pleasant.

T - worse than the smell. Shockingly bitter, piney. Not a hop profile that I particularly like.

M - astrigent bitterness, mouth puckering.

D - not for me, I won't try again. If you like piney hops, this is for you.

09-05-2009 01:31:06 | More by JamnesCameron
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.58/5  rDev -36.9%

Got this at De Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam.

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger medium-thick white head with great retention. Perfectly clear amber orange in color with lower amounts of carbonation. Head fades to a thin wisp and a foamy ring, leaving some lacing. A film remains and leaves lots of nice lacing down the glass. Good looking for sure, and surprisingly clear for the style.

SMELL: Pale malts, lots of floral hops and some pine notes too. Hints of melon and some soapy notes in there as well. A little odd.

TASTE: Pale malts and touches of flowery hops, but quite a muted initial taste. Lacking up front, unfortunately. Finishes with some melon, citrus, and bitter pine notes, but not all that overwhelming either. Aftertaste is mild but lingers nicely on the palate. The taste only showed up well after the swallow, and what did show up was not all that bold or impressive.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Semi-creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Decent here.

OVERALL: A little disappointed with this one. Looked great and the aftertaste delivered at least something, but the initial taste was almost non-existent and nose had a little odd soapy quality to it that didn't quite jive with me. Still drinkable enough, just not all that much going on. This was the least appealing of the Green Flash line-up I was able to try. I enjoyed their regular IPA and their Hop Head Red, but I'd pass on this one.

06-23-2010 13:14:33 | More by Jeffo
gabedivision

2.65/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22ounce bottle to a tulip glass.

A- pours a clear golden amber with a 2 finger head that sticks and settles to the side of the glass.

S- stinks of schwag weed, green peppers? Onion and garlic. A must of wet cardboard and pungent lemon pepper.

T- bready caramel, toasted bread, roasted garlic, huge pepper right In the middle. Weird flavors all over. Not very enjoyable at all, had to go back and check the bottle to see if it was the ipa. Wtf.

M- medium bodied bready, extremely veggie, soft and dry on the finish.

O- overall, well, this isn't my cup of tea. No bottling date may play into it but it's just weird. Earthy, peppery, vegal, not digging this what so ever. High expectations, very low result.

04-22-2012 01:29:35 | More by gabedivision

Georgia

07-04-2014 16:25:06 | More by Soomars
kojevergas

2.78/5  rDev -32%

Served on-draught into a Newcastle glass at 1739 Public House in Los Feliz, California. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were above average given the brewery.

A: Pours a beige colour two finger head, somewhat thin, with no real cream and of typical retention. Colour is a hazy ruby-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubbl show.

Sm: Citrus and floral hops, some pine, and clean malts. Some light toasted character. An average strength aroma.

T: Floral hops, with off-putting bitterness towards the climax. Clean malts form the foundation. Little citrus; not enough to make it refreshing. A bit stale on the finish. Simple and imbalanced. A poor IPA. Not at all subtle.

Mf: Dreadfully thin; unable to support the flavours. Nicely crisp, though. A bit overcarbonated. Smoothness is off.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable for the style. Hides its ABV well. A middling, average effort from Green Flash. Enjoyable enough I guess, but priced quite high at $6.75. I wouldn't get this again.

Low C

11-06-2012 17:47:50 | More by kojevergas
mactrail

Washington

2.78/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Seems to have the same hops and flavor of the West Coast IPA, which may be great for you but not for me. More harsh than mellow, considering the big malty profile. Extravagant flare of hop fragrance and bitterness. Not a bad hop flavor, but just totally overdone. Very sharp, on the acidic side.

Appearance is nice, well foamed and plenty of spritz in the mouth. But it cuts right to the tongue. Only thing I can say on the plus side is the hops are extremely floral and not at all bad as aromatics, but they are overwhelmed by the dank grapefruit peel. I tried flavoring a couple of less hoppy beers, but the Green Flash took over like a bad dog.

03-20-2012 05:56:52 | More by mactrail

Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 22 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: Single from Let's Pour mailorder

A: Hazy, honey-colored beer with a big off-white head. Very good lacing and head retention.

S: Lots of hop aromas; pine, floral and citrus, plus tropical fruits

T: So now things go downhill; after an initial taste of tropical fruit, I start to notice a weird vegetable flavor, like a wild onion. This grows worse with each sip...I really don't like this

M: Medium body; the finish has more off flavors of onion/vegetable, leaving a bad taste in my mouth

O: The beer has great promise in the looks and smell, but the taste was so bad I did not finish the bottle. I've read that Summit hops may be the cause of the onion-y flavors; if so I need to avoid beers that use Summit for flavoring.

05-11-2014 03:59:37 | More by sommersb
n2185

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Pours a very hazy orange with two fingers of fluffy white head. Head recedes into a thin white cap but leaves nice lacing.

S: A little caramel malt up front followed by a hint of sweet citrus and then lots of sticky, resiny pine.

T: Similar to the aroma, there's a slight sweetness with some citrus up front but then the resin and pine kick in, knocking every other flavor out of the way. Finish is quite bitter and lingers on the tongue well after the sip is taken.

M: Medium body and carbonation that provides a kick for the bitterness. There's an oily texture to it as well.

D: With the lingering bitterness and oily texture, it's not all that drinkable.

Overall, not a bad DIPA, but a bitter bomb without much complexity.

02-13-2011 22:56:28 | More by n2185
BucannonXC5

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a draft into a pint glass at KnB Wine Cellars in San Diego, Calif. Color was hazy orange. An inch of head. Some lacing on the top, but not too much. Lots of film on the sides throughout.

Smelled citrus hops, but very light. Grapefruit seems to lead the way.

The taste is where it went downhill fast. The initial taste was straight skunky. Very bitter hops. Then came some old dishwater. Bitter aftertaste.

Medium body. Average carbonation. Dry finish.

I don’t get the high ratings for this beer. I thought it was just average, especially compared to other double IPA’s. Maybe I got a bad pour, but I don’t think so. I won’t be trying this again.

10-07-2011 06:22:53 | More by BucannonXC5
harkjohnny

2.88/5  rDev -29.6%

Shared a 22oz with 3 friends and have to say I'm glad I did. I could not have finished this beer by myself. Maybe it's that I'm a FORMER hophead who has since found myself preferring malt and yeast as the more prevalant flavors in my beer but this was just outrageous. And not necessarily in a good way.

Appearance is a bit light colored for what I expected but not off with lasting head, though virtually no lacing.

Aroma just smacks the insides of the nose with scents of earthy pine and one of my buddies suggested the smell of a certain herbal substance that won't be named. The smell is certainly not citrus as many here suggest.

The flavor has virturally no malt to be found but just biting bitterness and hop flavors that run from pine straight to licking wood. Guess that's what they mean by a "san diego IPA" on the bottle.

For me, drinkability is somewhat poor even considering that this is a sipping beer @ 9%. As mentioned before I could not have finished this beer alone. Sorry GF, this one really didn't do it for me. Guess I'll go back to the East coast next time I want a double IPA.

11-09-2008 02:59:22 | More by harkjohnny
madmanjf

2.88/5  rDev -29.6%

I had this from a cask-conditioned woodpin, day #2 of being opened.

This particular batch was a cloudy apricot color with little to no carbonation. Some slight large bubbles were apparent from the initial pour, but they quickly dissipated to a flat appearance. There was a substantial amount of sediment suspended in the beer which was not dropping to the bottom of the glass. In fairness to the brewery, I will admit the woodpin was disturbed prior to my glass being poured.

The aroma was simply outstanding. It had a sweet hop presence which was citrus in nature; however, I found it to be sweetly unique in that it resembled a pineapple moreso than orange or grapefruit.

The beer had a sweet start with a grapefruit presence in flavor which was quick on the tounge. A Flas (no pun intended) of hops with a bitter finish was also present.

The sensation was initially a watery entrance with a slight effervencent feeling on the toungue. The finish was quite dry.

Overally, I'd have to say this beer is not well balanced. There is no malt presence, and it comes off as being a hop bomb for no specific reason other than to see how hoppy a hop beer can get. I like IPAs, but I did not care for this one or it's non-imperial counterpart (reviewed previously).

I had 1 12oz pour which I could not finish.

Serving type: cask

04-16-2008 23:59:26 | More by madmanjf
BigMike

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Tulip.

Pours a tangerine orange color. With some gold and apricot highlights. A beautiful white creamy head tops it off with some decent lacing.

Smell is strong fresh grapefruit and candied pineapple and orange zest.

Flavor is very uneven. This one is a hop monster. I love hops as much as the next guy but this one was just pure bitterness. Grapefruit and orange and tangerine peel. Rubbing alcohol dominates the finish and makes it hard to swallow.

Mouthfeel is rich and oily. Coats the tongue with hoppy biterness. A bit overly carbonated

Due to the unbalance of this one i scored the drinkability a 3. I was really disappointed in this one. I've had other beers from green flash that i really enjoyed. This not being one of them.

09-18-2009 22:19:12 | More by BigMike
cbl2

2.93/5  rDev -28.4%

2/2/2007 $5.25 22 oz. 9.00% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a weak, hazy orange that is topped by a half inch of tight white head that slowly settles.

Aroma:

Fresh (too fresh) nose blistering hops (a combo of Summit and Nugget varieties) masks a backround of muted citrus. Herbal notes are too intense, and approaching mulch pile in fragrance.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Harsh metallic/medicinal notes kick off this taste-bud obliterator. The 101 IBU's are more than apparent (coupled with a pine sensation) as my palate puckers in defense of this affront to my senses. I love DIPA's when they are done well, but this one is not. Too one sided, with very little balance (a note of sweetness appears towards the end, I think. My mouth was a little too busy recuperating to notice).

02-02-2007 19:09:18 | More by cbl2
nickhiller

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%

A: clear but not crystal, amber colored, nice frothy one finger head is slow to dissipate, with great retention and huge rings of lace to recommend it.

S: mowed lawn, horse sweat, marijuana, lemonade

T: honeycomb, earthy like mushrooms, grapefruit, lemon rind good luck trying to taste anything ever again, it's so full of hop resins that the bitterness stays in your mouth long after you've put the glass down. This is what I would imagine slugging hop extract would feel like.

M: heavy and syrupy, carbonation is ample but short lived which reduces the burn from the alcohol but does little to blunt the bitterness.

D: lacks the malt profile required to support this kind of hop onslaught. It's not that it's not sweet, in fact it's arguably too sweet, and it's not that it necessarily has too much hops. The problem is its one-dimensionality, lots of flavor, extreme flavor, but without the complexity that makes that interesting.

03-22-2011 17:01:49 | More by nickhiller
FtownThrowDown

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%

22oz bomber poured into my pint glass.
Pours a golden color with only the slightest of head that quickly recedes and is gone.
Smell. The smell is sticky-icky. You know when you get done cutting the grass and you turn the mower over to clean out the clumps. Yeah, that in a glass.
The taste is pretty much the same as the smell but with the obvious hop bitterness. Now I'm more of a fan of the simcoe hop. The juicier, more citrusy hop.
But for what it's worth, this beer was easily drinkable. It went down smooth. The mouthfeel was well balanced between the hops and what malt there was.
The alcohol does come through quite apparent. It's not hiding no where. It's as up front as the hops are.
Which is about the only thing that keeps this beer from being highly sessionable. A good offering. I would have again.

02-09-2007 13:44:12 | More by FtownThrowDown

Noelito76

02-22-2014 15:02:27 | More by Noelito76
jbuckley1972

03-31-2014 21:38:01 | More by jbuckley1972
Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.