Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Reaching new heights, the mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this intense high gravity Imperial IPA will thrill even the extreme beer adventurer. Unearth savory pine, evergreen and pineapple aromas and experience the colossal rush of a hoppy adventure. We challenge you to conquer this mountain, then sit back, relax and savor the magnificence of the brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 986 | Hads: 2,555
2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Tulip.

Pours a tangerine orange color. With some gold and apricot highlights. A beautiful white creamy head tops it off with some decent lacing.

Smell is strong fresh grapefruit and candied pineapple and orange zest.

Flavor is very uneven. This one is a hop monster. I love hops as much as the next guy but this one was just pure bitterness. Grapefruit and orange and tangerine peel. Rubbing alcohol dominates the finish and makes it hard to swallow.

Mouthfeel is rich and oily. Coats the tongue with hoppy biterness. A bit overly carbonated

Due to the unbalance of this one i scored the drinkability a 3. I was really disappointed in this one. I've had other beers from green flash that i really enjoyed. This not being one of them. (773 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -26.4%

A: clear but not crystal, amber colored, nice frothy one finger head is slow to dissipate, with great retention and huge rings of lace to recommend it.

S: mowed lawn, horse sweat, marijuana, lemonade

T: honeycomb, earthy like mushrooms, grapefruit, lemon rind good luck trying to taste anything ever again, it's so full of hop resins that the bitterness stays in your mouth long after you've put the glass down. This is what I would imagine slugging hop extract would feel like.

M: heavy and syrupy, carbonation is ample but short lived which reduces the burn from the alcohol but does little to blunt the bitterness.

D: lacks the malt profile required to support this kind of hop onslaught. It's not that it's not sweet, in fact it's arguably too sweet, and it's not that it necessarily has too much hops. The problem is its one-dimensionality, lots of flavor, extreme flavor, but without the complexity that makes that interesting. (937 characters)

I had this from a cask-conditioned woodpin, day #2 of being opened.

This particular batch was a cloudy apricot color with little to no carbonation. Some slight large bubbles were apparent from the initial pour, but they quickly dissipated to a flat appearance. There was a substantial amount of sediment suspended in the beer which was not dropping to the bottom of the glass. In fairness to the brewery, I will admit the woodpin was disturbed prior to my glass being poured.

The aroma was simply outstanding. It had a sweet hop presence which was citrus in nature; however, I found it to be sweetly unique in that it resembled a pineapple moreso than orange or grapefruit.

The beer had a sweet start with a grapefruit presence in flavor which was quick on the tounge. A Flas (no pun intended) of hops with a bitter finish was also present.

The sensation was initially a watery entrance with a slight effervencent feeling on the toungue. The finish was quite dry.

Overally, I'd have to say this beer is not well balanced. There is no malt presence, and it comes off as being a hop bomb for no specific reason other than to see how hoppy a hop beer can get. I like IPAs, but I did not care for this one or it's non-imperial counterpart (reviewed previously).

I had 1 12oz pour which I could not finish. (1,307 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

A: Thick amber orange pour with a half inch thick head. Nice and frothy head.

S: Nice fresh hop smell with malts in there as well. Hops have a citrus aroma to them. There is an odd smell to this though that I just cannot place.

T: Initial taste was not to my liking and almost metallic. Hop flavor is decent.

M: Nothing special. Finish is dry and bitter.

O: Not my favorite. There is something in this one I just don't like. Maybe it's just my bottle as there are several very favorable reviews. Just didn't do it for me. (525 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -25.1%

A clear bright amber, and off-white head, good lacing and some curtains.

The smell is to me rather off, ammonia, old toilet, some bitter opine resin. Old grape-fruit peel.

Starts heavy in the malt register, sweet bread nuances, then bitter resin and sour oils.

Medium carbonation, oily and sticky, a dry finish.

This was far to intrusive to me. (348 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

A 650 mL bomber from my 2006 Secret Santa, nvsblman.

A: The ale is a copper red color with a small wispy head that laces well.

S: The ale has a very pungent hop aroma. I pick up some grapefruit but it is overpowered by the pungency.

T: The ale has an interesting taste. The intense hops in the nose pop up in the taste too. There is a bit of grapefruit hops but there is a lot of bitterness that doesn't fit in with the grapefruit. It has the effect of making the whole beer taste bad. I think that the hops are a little too overloaded, not paired well together.

M: The mouth is dominated by the strong, intensely bitter hops.

D: The drinkability is limited by the higher abv and a taste that is too bitter and unfocused. Stick with the West Coast IPA for a nice hop flavor. (789 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Seldom am I so surprised by such a high B.Advocate rating.

Pours a burnished copper. Aggressive pour yielded a two inch head. Smells like floral hops. Maybe a hint of tropical sweetness.

Mouthfeel is thin. I don't like the taste they went for, here. The hop content isn't overpowering, yet it manages to be pretty raw. There's a balancing sweetness, but it's almost rotten ... kind of like apricots or pineapple gone bad. Just didn't like this whatsoever. (457 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle obtained from Liquor Max (Loveland), thanks to Crosling for the recommendation. Pours a two finger light orange-tan head over a crystal clear gorgeous copper liquid. Smells wonderful. Rich sweet pink grapefruit, pine, oranges, lemon zest. Some fruity esters, but they are buried below the intense hops.

Tastes dry and much more mild hop flavor than I was expecting. Sharp grapefruit and flat dry hop oils. Some grassy and malt sweet with a mouthfeel much less than I would expect from a DIPA. Fruity is buried way beneath and has no distinct character. Overall very dry bitter beer which appears worse, because of the rough alcohol finish. Mild ethanol flavor in the finish that is drying and rubbing alcohol in the aftertaste. The flavors of this beer are disjointed. Compared to the enticing smell, the flavor is quite a let-down.

Md to md-light body and heavy carbonation. not very drinkable, but it got me a good lit on. (937 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours golden amber with a lasting, thin white head that leaves some traces of lacing down the glass.

The smel is of pine. My Christmas tree should smell so piney - If I were not in the same room, I would have thought I was standing to close to it. Slightly musty.

I should have known from the smell - pine - can almost taste the sap and everything. Some sweet malt ties the piney hops together, but hardly balances it out any. Some citrusy hops try to emerge but are held back by the overwhelming pine. The alcohol is noticeable, but not as much as expected for abv level.

Creamy body. Feels full. A slight acidity, almost metallic, aftertaste left on the tongue detracts a bit.

There is something of a smoothness about it, and plenty of hops, but the overwhelming pine, slight mustiness, and acidity make this fit the "mediocre" category for this style pretty well. Not a total loss if you are into pine, but I won't be getting this one again. (956 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

I poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. The beer pours a hazy orange with a monstrous head. The head leaves clingy white lace all over the glass. IMO the smell is some what muted. There are definite pine notes, but less than what I expect with over 100 IBU's. The taste is also muted. The piney taste is there but it is not upfront, and there is not much else going on. This beer is full bodied and almost chewey. A sipper, not because of the hefty ABV, just a heavy beer. A definite dissapointment I will not buy again. (523 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Picked up a bomber of this one for less than five bucks, and I was pretty excited to try it. Unlike most of Green Flash's other offerings, however, this one was a major let down. This one pours a clear medium amber color, with a small, tight white head. All kinds of hops going on on the nose--citrus, earth, weed and herbs. On the palate however, the hops become too much, and dominate in an unpleasant, unbalanced sort of way. Not bad, necessarily, but nothing I'd willingly reach for again. (493 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured a nice copper orange with nice fizzy head. Nose is floral hop aroma, some biscuity malts. Nice bitterness, but its all too much in the end. Malts are very heavy. A very toasted and caramel mats flavor, more than hops it seems. Smooth and dry finish. I thought the bottle was more hopfroward. On tap was pretty harsh! Wont drink again. (341 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Reviewed 9/25/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear honey-red colored body, with a frothy white head, good lacing and lasting. Has a grapefruity, bitter aroma. A hoppy bitter taste, real bitter, and dry. Like sticking your face in horsefeed. Rougher as it warms up. (257 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

A: Dull copper orange color with scores of little bubbles racing to the surface. Head is fairly creamy with a light beige tint to it.

S: Fresh OJ, grapefruit rind, floral hops and lemons.

T: Starts with marischino cherries and old orange juice. Lot of lymon and grapefruit rind in there as well which transitions to that "band aid" taste. Alcohol is very present and adopts the band aid flavor before handing it over to a grainy taste. Finishes really grainy with a strong herbal bitterness to it.

M: Full mouthfeel with a nice consistency to it. Probably the best part of the beer.

D: This beer just didn't work for me. Flavors weren't balanced and I found some of the aspects just not desirable. But I also wouldn't categorize this beer as bad.

D: (766 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Good looking beer, very clean with no carbonation bubbles. Aromas of light lemon but far from overly citrus. Can't believe this is a imperial ipa, not overly boozy. hoppy almost to the point where I would think this is an English style ipa. Probably not something I'd purchase again and I love every style ipa. (310 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Looks great - slightly cloudy, orangeish tint, decent lacing; pretty much textbook. A nice odor of grassy & floral hops. Unfortunately, the taste is dominated by aspirin bitterness from front to back. usually with a DIPA you get an aromatic hop hit before bitterness takes over - not here. The bitterness so dominates that other flavours are flattened. I prefer more flavourful and aromatic hops. YMMV. Mouthfeel: medium body, appealing carbonation. Reasonably quaffable overall, but nothing I'm dying to return to anytime soon. (528 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a beautiful copper color. The head is two fingers high, with a shade barely off-white.

S: This definitely fits on the piny end of the IPA spectrum. However, there's also a kiss of fruity notes - fruit candies, mainly, and even some tropical hops. I do get a bit of malt, also. Nice aroma, but not quite as enrapturing as the one from their regular West Coast IPA.

T: As expected, the focus is on pine-forward hops. It opens the beer up fairly bitterly. The finish has a faint kiss of something resembling pineapple, along with some booze and sugar cookie-esque malts. The onion-y-ness of the Summit is pretty restrained, only appearing once it warms up (but at least it's not as oniony as it would have been if was made with Mosaic...hiyo!) The best part of this brew are the twinge of tropical fruits that appear on occasion.

M: It has a coarse, astringent feel. This actually dries the beer out nicely, at the cost of feeling somewhat harsh. After a few sips, it smooths out somewhat. But still, it remains pretty bitey throughout. It isn't really easy to drink, due to the fact that it's kind of heavy-feeling, as well.

O: It's okay. Certainly, I've had far better IPAs/DIPAs (from this very brewery, actually). There's just nothing here that excites me - and I expect to be excited by a DIPA. (1,344 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Green Flash Imperial IPA looks the part, with a yellow-orange body and a large off-white head that leaves behind all sorts of lacing.

The aroma has some citrus from the hops, as well as some resin and vegetal notes. A light, crackery malt base lingers around the edges.

If I liked the hop profile of Green Flash's Imperial IPA, I would love the beer; the malt backbone is nice and the balance is perfect. The beer is neither too sweet or to hot. I do not, however, like the hop profile. I pick up light citrus and resin from the hops, but the main hop flavor is onion and garlic. Bitterness is moderate, probably at a very good level for this beer. The malt profile is understated, with mostly a bit of cracker.

Well carbonated, a little bit oily and slightly biting from the bitterness.

Green Flash Imperial IPA has everything that a big IPA or IIPA should have, and it drinks very well for its ABV. The hops profile, however, isn't my thing. With that said, this is a well-made beer that I don't like, but I could how see others would. (1,041 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Copper in color, nice head, this beer almosts looks like your average Macro lager. Smell is piney with a small amount of grapefruit citrus. Taste is weak in this one. I am disappointed in the taste. Not a good DIPA by any means. Mouthfeel is average. I think if it tasted better I would be able to drink a ton of these since the taste is so weak. Overall, not impressed. (370 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

This is not my favorite product out of Green Flash. Bitter yes. But there is a point where bitter becomes overpowering. Many breweries have one that goes over the top. Near me Victories is Hop Wallop. Green Flash, maybe be this one, their 'Imperial India Pale Ale' takes that rank. To me a Double IPA is not only supposed to load up on the hops but give it some balancing sweetness as well. This is a bitter beer. Hop heads rejoice, but it didn't quite do it for me.

Appearance: Pours a translucent but not transparent pale golden orange color with a quick fade off white head.

Smell: The hop bitterness did not smell fresh at all! It smelled stale and earthy and quite bitter pine solvent aroma.

Taste: It starts off very hard to drink. As it warms and I adjust to it, 2/3rds of the way through my bomber, I started to actually enjoy the beer. But it took me a long time to warm up to the abrasive chemical like bitter and alcohol. It was a smelly feet, body odor like aftertaste. Not all bad but it made me think of onion bagels and arm pits. After I got that out of my head I tried to focus on the pine attribute. Where is the malt backbone??? seems to be quite minuscule in proportion. The bitterness sin the aftertaste goes beyond pleasant for me. It became a bit bothersome. It was definitely better with some cedar cheese.

Mouthfeel: The beer flavor is over the top but the mouthfeel is pleasant. Medium body with decent carbonation and other than the big bitter pucker it is nice on the palate.

Drinkability: The bomber was a bit rough to start but after all my taste buds were burnt off I finished it off. Just give it some time. This beer is for the hopheads.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,719 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into pint glass. Quite cloudy with small head and reasonable carbonation.

Smell somewhat as expected- piney hops,citrus, but then some pepper & some musty odor?wet grass?

Taste of hops,pine,grapefruit,pepper. It has some other aftertaste that I cannot pinpoint. It is not an overpowering thing, but not a good thing either- maybe like romano cheese? I was afraid this might be too bitter for me, but that was not the case.

Feels very good going down- nice body & carbonation level

It is quite drinkable for such a strong flavorful beer. The alcohol is well hidden and can get you in trouble. I wish I knew how old this bottle was. I cannot see any date on the bottle. I think it may be a little old for this style. Sure wish there was a bottle date. I would try again if I knew the next bottle was fresh! I have to believe a fresh bottle will taste & smell better (893 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -20.2%

Original Rating Date:
September 6, 2008

Smells pleasantly fruity and citric to balance out the hop assault on my nostrils. Pours a bit paler than some 2IPAs, with a big, beautiful frothy head and one of the longest lasting, soapiest lacings I've ever seen for an India pale ale. This beer looks excellent. Flavor is a bit citric in order to combat the excessive hop bitterness, but still doesn't feel as balanced as the better 2IPAs I've had such as DFH90 or Lagunitas Maximus. Definitely worth trying but the best part about this beer is the look about it. (558 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have love almost all of the Green Flash beers that I have tasted. This one poured crystal clear with almost no head. There was little aroma in the nose. I almost wasnt sure I was tasting an IPA. I was hoping for more hops

The initial taste left me somewhat disappointed. What I felt the most was a strong alcohol taste. I would not have objected to that if the hops balanced that off to make are better balanced beer. (420 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

I've heard really fantastic things about this brewery from a friend in San Diego. I ordered this bottle online and it came with no discernible bottling date and I would guess there's a reason for that...

A - Looks nice. Sort of a ruby/tangerine color with a healthy, slowly dissipating head - slightly off white.

S - There's everything you would expect from an Imperial IPA - heavy citrus / floral character, supported with some sweeter malts - but then there's this rather unpleasant layer of chives or garlic or something.

T - Just as expected. Hop bomb hits initially (with 101 IBUs) but then gets waved over by that onion type flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is just fine for the style, not the issue here.

O - I hope this bottle is over the hill and not demonstrative of the brew. (781 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

a: clear, dark gold color with thick foamy head that retains well & leaves plenty of lacing
s: hoppy as expected -- very piney aromas
t: hops start it off, followed by soft malts in the middle & finish with spicy hops that aren't too bitter, sweet malts linger on the palate
m: crisp carbonation to start, cream body in the middle & a small shot of carbonation to finish
d: certainly fits the style, just didn't have anything that really stood out, but worth a try (464 characters)

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.