Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Reaching new heights, the mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this intense high gravity Imperial IPA will thrill even the extreme beer adventurer. Unearth savory pine, evergreen and pineapple aromas and experience the colossal rush of a hoppy adventure. We challenge you to conquer this mountain, then sit back, relax and savor the magnificence of the brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 988 | Hads: 2,566
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Aroma:  Moderate pine and herbal hop notes.  Some caramel in the background.

Appearance:  Hazy, golden honey color.  Half a finger of head with excellent lacing.

Flavor:  Pine, herbal, some citrus notes balanced nicely with malt.  Each swallow is a nice sweet-tart flavors beginning, middle and end.  Some lingering bitterness in the finish.  Alcohol flavors hidden well.  Very nice.

Mouthfeel:   Medium body, with a slight syrupy mouthfeel.  Carbonation is good.

Overall:  A very enjoyable Imperial IPA.  Big pine, herbal flavors balanced nicely with a solid malt backbone.  Well balanced and easy drinking for a 9.4 ABV beer.  Well done.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Wow! Just what I have been looking for, this beer is like hop-overload! Can it get any better for a hop-head? I think not. Pours a murky golden color, with a lasting head that laces the entire glass. This beer is fantastic, it's just a shame it can't be had in 6 packs! Still a fantastic beer for a bomber especially considering the price!

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Feel free to disagree but in my opinion, Green Flash Imperial goes down much easier than West Coast IPA. Perhaps, because it is a bit more balanced? Either way, this sucker will creep up on you.

A - Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a 1'' head that dissipates rather quickly.

S - Big citrus hop nose with an emphasis on orange zest and ruby red grapefruit. Less resinous pine than the West Coast but still a touch.

T- Big citrus hop flavor of grapefruit, orange, and tangerine with a prominent malt sweetness. Definitely not as dry as some other IIPA's.

M/D - This beer is way too easy to drink. At 10% ABV, it goes down just as easy as a session beer.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

A: pours copper amber with a thin white head. Nice colour, but a bit thin head.

S: Balsam and herbs - a fresh nice hoppiness. This is what IPA is all about.

T: Some sweetness and an underlying earthy maltiness not quite obscured by those predominant hops. Not painfully bitter at the finish though, which is good for a Wednesday evening.

M: Creamy, with good bubbles, but I would have liked a bit more acidity for that extra zing.

Overall a very nice Imperial IPA. I would buy it again, because its very drinkable with well integrated alcohol.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

appearance-looks good....not a ton of brussels lace

Smell-great hoppy smell...smells like nugget and summit hops....yummy

taste-great hoppy taste....lots of hop complexity...great stuff

mouthfeel...semi prickly carbonation and great mouthfeel

drinkability-well I drank quite a bit of this beer at the greenflash 5th anniversary and then I went to stone for more beer afterwards...and got denied beer because I was slurring...so I would say it is drinkable but watch out!

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

22 oz. bottle split with jhamel. New yellow label, very fresh (8/9/09).

Had this beer a couple of times a few years back when I was first diving into craft brew head first. Hated it; old bottles that were overly malty and sweet. Glad to have a fresh one finally.

Golden orange in color with impressive clarity. Head quickly dissipates leaving sticky lacing.

Smells of ripe pineapple and sweet malt-- like a tropical juice blend.

Fruity hoppiness leads to a mildly sweet mid palate which is followed by a bitter, dry finish. Fantastic. For a hop monster, there is an interesting balance.

Full bodied and tongue coating without becoming syrupy. Prickly bitterness on the finish adds another dimension to mouthfeel. I might like a tad more carbonation though.

At 9.4% abv, this is much more drinkable than many similar abv IIPAs (Maharaja, Dorado).

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

This is a very impressive Imperial IPA for sure, and I'd definitely seek it out again. As most reviewers seem to agree, the west coast hoppiness is good, and not overdone. Seems just right to me. The alcohol isn't all that detectable for it's 9%, and you will feel it. There is balance in the malts too. I think I have to give this an A at least AND, I'd suggest this is the PERFECT beer to go with some spicy buffalo wings! Bring'em!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Just had this beer on tap @ The Dirty Truth in N. Hampton, Ma
A: pours a hazy, golden orange with a nice white lacing and fluffy cushiony head.
S: Holy citrus Batman! Grapefruit, citrus, hemp.
T: Incredible wallop from the hops. Definitely a force to be reckoned with. Stone brewing needs to take notes from these guys!
M: silky and sublime. Definitely a resinous lingering aftertaste from the hop oils!
D: wow. Incredibly smooth, complex, and enjoyable. great representation of a West Cost Ipa! I'd be hard pressed to find a better imperial ipa.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

22oz Bomber at about 50 degrees F, in a pilsner glass.
Pours to dense, frothy, white head. Looks like a bubble bath with stiff peaks.
Lovely reddish, copper color. full clarity.
Nose is sweet, with hints of spice and piney hops.
Taste is wonderful, balanced hoppiness with a touch of smooth bready malt. The 9.5% lingers on the palate and the flavor become a little washed out because of it.
Drinks smoothly and is another excellent hopped beer from green flash. Not perfect but always interesting and worth a try.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

A- Pours amber with 2.5 fingers of thick foam. Good retention. Receded into a half finger that remained.

S- Citrusy hops. Some orange zest. A bit of pine.

T- Tasted hoppy with some definite citrus. I also tasted some juniper. Slight malty back. I can definitely taste the 9.4%.

M- Medium to full bodied. But the alcohol heat didn't hide very well.

D- I liked it, but I personally don't mind the alcohol bite. I could see how it might turn someone else off.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

A: appearance is light orange/amber with thick clean white foam.

S: beer is full of passion fruit with a thick hint of spices.

T: taste is clean and crisp, straight to the point... HOPS! although saying hops which are definately there the bitter taste doesn't linger.. From the hops distinguishing the beer becomes quite dry on the pelate leaving notes of orange and passion fruit. can definately taste some alcohol in this one.

M: quite heavy and pungent but very dry! On the verge of feeling quite overpowering. Saying this definately not unpleasant in any way!

A: I enjoyed this beer and would definately drink again but not overly sessionable, more of a sit down and enjoy a bottle with a meal. Easy drinking for imperial.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Well, I used to have some skin cells on my tongue. They were getting in the way, so thankfully Green Flash Imperial IPA removed them for me.

This is a great double IPA from Green Flash, the maker's of San Diego County's best IPA in my opinion, West Coast IPA.

Smells of intense yeast and tastes of straight hops which you would expect. Nice alcohol warming, but the mouthfeel isn't overly thick, so this goes down almost too easily, except for the skin cell removal of course.

Great job Green Flash. Stick to the stronger beers like this and your equally excellent Barleywine.

I buy this one when I can as for me it is the best example of a West Coast Imperial IPA.

I love the sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

When opened it poured a deep amber colour with a hint of deep orange when held up to the light.

Scent was one of tropical citrus with grapefruit, orange and strawberry. And the taste was rich, solid and so satisfying.

Went down very easily leaving a mouthful of hops flavour behind that I just savoured for a few minutes.

Strong ABV was not noticed whatsoever but the effect of one bottle was noticed when I went to stand up.

Incredible Double IPA.

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excited about this beer. Served right out of the fridge in a pint glass.

Clear copper look to the beer with a quickly dissipating half finger of head. Steady stream of carbonation. I would have liked to have seen a bit more haze.

Deep, dank abundant aromas of citrus and grapefruit. I'm getting some hints of a sweet peach too which is very refreshing.

Bitter hops, primarily much of what was on the nose. Not overly bitter however and it's fairly well balanced. I'm feeling the 9.4% from this which has to be expected. This is most definitely a sipper and enjoyed over a period of time.

Smooth beer, considering that it's a double. Can feel the presence of the alcohol but it's not overpowering at all.

I strongly recommend this beer to anyone. It's very solid and it has a fantastic flavor and aroma. I'm totally sold on Green Flash. I was impressed with their West Coast IPA I had last week as well. This is very similar to that in smell & taste but is still distinctly its own.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From a cask at Stone World Bistro into an 8 ox. glass.

A- Medium to light copper color brought to me with no head at all, but hey it's cask. I watched this beer being hand pumped and there is a certain appreciation that goes along with this.

S- Powerful, but sweetly subdued hop aromas that gave way to a faint, but noteworthy, sweet caramel scent.

T- With this being my first IPA or DIPA from a cask, I can really appreciate the complexity, and depth of balance that this has to offer. The hop oil presence was very pronounced, perhaps because there was little carbonation to counter. Definite warmth to this one, and not the room temperature pour. Clean and biting finish with brief bitter-hop aftertaste,

M- Well, this was a first for me. The absence of carbonation threw me off. That said, it was an oily, mouth coating beer that was relatively drinkable despite the DIPA status.

D- Again, pretty drinkable.l I could have enjoyed another of these had they not tempted me with so many other treats that I had yet to try. Not sessionable, however.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

green flash imperial ipa... thats were it all started for me.... a local grocer (kobackers) had this in stock a few years back and i had opted for something new that day... well what a suprise... no generic beer ever tasted the same after that day.... this is truly one of the best ipas you will ever encounter...

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

While I'm still feeling the wonderful after-effects of this beer, it's prime review time.

The deep orange, murky, small-bubbled color is a perfect example of the west coast ipa. The pint glass held a two inch head after an aggressive pour.

The smell is incredible. This is piny, citrus, and alcohol in a beautiful execution of this ever-duplicated but often-misinterpreted genre of brews. The best of the imperial/double IPAs demonstrate a sharp scent and fulll mouth.

The taste is tart, grapefruit, malt, and fierce hops. The other flavors appear early, but the hops fight through and take the crown.

The mouthfeel is chewy, thick, and sudsy. I love the tongue action of surprise and satisfaction.

The drinkability is a bit low for me because this brew will slap you. One bomber has me checking my spelling, and I'm an English teacher!

This is a primo example of a west-coast, sharp IPA. Don't even go near this one unless you're fiending for some hoppy time.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Served from a bomber bottle. No freshness date.

A - Poured into a Duvel glass, it has a rich golden color with perhaps a slight touch of orange and about a fingers worth of off-white head.

S - As with most double IPA's the hops are very present. I detect mostly pine aromas with very minimal fruity or floral notes.

T - I would describe the taste as generally balanced. The hops let you know they're there but the malty sweetness is definitely in the background. I get a very slight floral taste/smell also. And even at 9.4% ABV, I don't find the alcohol to be noticeable at all.

M - The mouthfeel is a light-medium and fantastic. This beer just feels great in your mouth. It's smooth with just a touch of stickiness.

D - I wish I had a second bottle. This beer is great.

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%

It pours a kind of dim light-orange. Not clear but not cloudy. It isn't too inviting to look at, with a thinnish head that dissipates quicker than a fart by an open window. The smell is hoppy yet also sweet and yeasty -- as I find imperials are want to be.

Hmmm. This is an odd one. Everything you expect is there, tis highly hopped and a slamming dose of bready malt plays the bass notes... OK I gave it ten minutes and a few more sips. It's not bitter enough, that's the main issue. Plus, the hops are all sticky grapefruit and tangerine, but could use a little pine. Everything is at the warm-end of the taste spectrum, if you get what I mean. The mineral, medicinal rawness that I crave is absent. I'm in the unfamiliar position of evaluating the dominant maltiness of an IIPA: it's pleasant, but not what I lined up for.

I'm grading this a B halfway through my second glass, and I can say the flavour improves with temperature. It's solid, but I can think of five other IIPAs in thie price bracket that I'd go to before this one.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

SO much better than their West Coast IPA which was tooo bitter for my taste and I like IPA's. I just like balanced IPA's. The imperial delivers from the hazy coppery head, large off white foam, pine on the nose, grapefruit hidden behind, to the sweet fading to bitter long lasting finish. Thoroughly enjoyed this one although like most IPA's it's definitely not one you want to drink more than a couple of in one sitting.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Hazy gold, with a very thick head - looks promising;
S: Very strong hoppy odor - I'm expecting some bitterness;
T: Wonderful hops, which dominate at first, then linger in the background;
M: Again, hops dominate here, but still a more mellow mouthfeel;
D: I'm very, very happy I made this purchase - this is a solid IPA that I would probably pick up again (if there weren't so many other beers I want to try first....)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pleasant pumpkin-orange in color with huge head. A rested bottle resulted a vigorously carbonated pour. Exactly the look of a great IPA.

S- Much as one would expect from Green Flash- very hoppy and floral with solid citrus presence.

T- This beer tastes quite like it smells- perhaps too much so. Lots of pine and citrus along with an off-note I can't quite place. Very little malt character. There is a definite loss of desired flavors as the beer warms post-pour with a noticeable increase in the alcohol flavor.

M- Lighter drinking than expected. Flavors are resinous, but the mouthfeel isn't. There is almost an astringent character to it.

D- The appearance and smell of this DIPA suggested something that the taste and finish didn't really come through on, for some reason. Certainly a tasty beer but I can't quite help but feel that something is missing. Excellent for the price, though.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

I have not been enjoying big ipas of late, probably for a year or two. But I think this one has brought me back. Big beautiful soapy creamy white head which is lasting very nicely, and leaving some great lacing. The beer is bright orange tangerine with a bit of haze that could very well be chill induced. Wonderful grapefruity citrus nose with a reassuring hint of grainish malt. Bitter, but not just straight up bitter...bitter with flavor of grapefruit, or orange rind...bitter with a backbone of flavor. Bitter but in balance with a sweetness that brings harmony. I am really enjoying this. Each sip encourages another...slick, smooth, nice rich body without being overwhelming. Also, this beer is dangerous, 9.4% is hidden. I will buy it again.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bomber into a pint glass. Best by 3/1/14.

A: Pours a cloudy deep orange with a fluffy off-white head. Good retention and excellent lacing.

S: Slight citrus, mostly grapefruit.

T: Piney with a bitter drying finish. And I mean that in the best way. The summit and nugget hops are quick, but not abrasive, and give this DIPA a unique weedy flavor. The bitterness lingers and dries in a way that invites repeated tastings.

M: Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

O: Another winner from Green Flash. Not as hop-forward as Palate Wrecker or Green Bullet, but finishes a bit smoother. The 9.4% ABV is well-hidden behind the piney dryness.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I just have one question for this beer: Where's the alcohol. This beer is so smooth it reminds me of drinking an Pale ale. Simply incredible. With a straw like color, piney smell, and flavor of drinking a mellow pale ale. Simply incredible, I would have to say prove to me this is a 9% alcohol beer, it surely tastes awesome, but the alcohol is hidden without a doubt.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.