Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

pDev: 17%
Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Reaching new heights, the mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this intense high gravity Imperial IPA will thrill even the extreme beer adventurer. Unearth savory pine, evergreen and pineapple aromas and experience the colossal rush of a hoppy adventure. We challenge you to conquer this mountain, then sit back, relax and savor the magnificence of the brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 988 | Hads: 2,566
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

A: appearance is light orange/amber with thick clean white foam.

S: beer is full of passion fruit with a thick hint of spices.

T: taste is clean and crisp, straight to the point... HOPS! although saying hops which are definately there the bitter taste doesn't linger.. From the hops distinguishing the beer becomes quite dry on the pelate leaving notes of orange and passion fruit. can definately taste some alcohol in this one.

M: quite heavy and pungent but very dry! On the verge of feeling quite overpowering. Saying this definately not unpleasant in any way!

A: I enjoyed this beer and would definately drink again but not overly sessionable, more of a sit down and enjoy a bottle with a meal. Easy drinking for imperial.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Well, I used to have some skin cells on my tongue. They were getting in the way, so thankfully Green Flash Imperial IPA removed them for me.

This is a great double IPA from Green Flash, the maker's of San Diego County's best IPA in my opinion, West Coast IPA.

Smells of intense yeast and tastes of straight hops which you would expect. Nice alcohol warming, but the mouthfeel isn't overly thick, so this goes down almost too easily, except for the skin cell removal of course.

Great job Green Flash. Stick to the stronger beers like this and your equally excellent Barleywine.

I buy this one when I can as for me it is the best example of a West Coast Imperial IPA.

I love the sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

When opened it poured a deep amber colour with a hint of deep orange when held up to the light.

Scent was one of tropical citrus with grapefruit, orange and strawberry. And the taste was rich, solid and so satisfying.

Went down very easily leaving a mouthful of hops flavour behind that I just savoured for a few minutes.

Strong ABV was not noticed whatsoever but the effect of one bottle was noticed when I went to stand up.

Incredible Double IPA.

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excited about this beer. Served right out of the fridge in a pint glass.

Clear copper look to the beer with a quickly dissipating half finger of head. Steady stream of carbonation. I would have liked to have seen a bit more haze.

Deep, dank abundant aromas of citrus and grapefruit. I'm getting some hints of a sweet peach too which is very refreshing.

Bitter hops, primarily much of what was on the nose. Not overly bitter however and it's fairly well balanced. I'm feeling the 9.4% from this which has to be expected. This is most definitely a sipper and enjoyed over a period of time.

Smooth beer, considering that it's a double. Can feel the presence of the alcohol but it's not overpowering at all.

I strongly recommend this beer to anyone. It's very solid and it has a fantastic flavor and aroma. I'm totally sold on Green Flash. I was impressed with their West Coast IPA I had last week as well. This is very similar to that in smell & taste but is still distinctly its own.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From a cask at Stone World Bistro into an 8 ox. glass.

A- Medium to light copper color brought to me with no head at all, but hey it's cask. I watched this beer being hand pumped and there is a certain appreciation that goes along with this.

S- Powerful, but sweetly subdued hop aromas that gave way to a faint, but noteworthy, sweet caramel scent.

T- With this being my first IPA or DIPA from a cask, I can really appreciate the complexity, and depth of balance that this has to offer. The hop oil presence was very pronounced, perhaps because there was little carbonation to counter. Definite warmth to this one, and not the room temperature pour. Clean and biting finish with brief bitter-hop aftertaste,

M- Well, this was a first for me. The absence of carbonation threw me off. That said, it was an oily, mouth coating beer that was relatively drinkable despite the DIPA status.

D- Again, pretty drinkable.l I could have enjoyed another of these had they not tempted me with so many other treats that I had yet to try. Not sessionable, however.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

green flash imperial ipa... thats were it all started for me.... a local grocer (kobackers) had this in stock a few years back and i had opted for something new that day... well what a suprise... no generic beer ever tasted the same after that day.... this is truly one of the best ipas you will ever encounter...

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

While I'm still feeling the wonderful after-effects of this beer, it's prime review time.

The deep orange, murky, small-bubbled color is a perfect example of the west coast ipa. The pint glass held a two inch head after an aggressive pour.

The smell is incredible. This is piny, citrus, and alcohol in a beautiful execution of this ever-duplicated but often-misinterpreted genre of brews. The best of the imperial/double IPAs demonstrate a sharp scent and fulll mouth.

The taste is tart, grapefruit, malt, and fierce hops. The other flavors appear early, but the hops fight through and take the crown.

The mouthfeel is chewy, thick, and sudsy. I love the tongue action of surprise and satisfaction.

The drinkability is a bit low for me because this brew will slap you. One bomber has me checking my spelling, and I'm an English teacher!

This is a primo example of a west-coast, sharp IPA. Don't even go near this one unless you're fiending for some hoppy time.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Served from a bomber bottle. No freshness date.

A - Poured into a Duvel glass, it has a rich golden color with perhaps a slight touch of orange and about a fingers worth of off-white head.

S - As with most double IPA's the hops are very present. I detect mostly pine aromas with very minimal fruity or floral notes.

T - I would describe the taste as generally balanced. The hops let you know they're there but the malty sweetness is definitely in the background. I get a very slight floral taste/smell also. And even at 9.4% ABV, I don't find the alcohol to be noticeable at all.

M - The mouthfeel is a light-medium and fantastic. This beer just feels great in your mouth. It's smooth with just a touch of stickiness.

D - I wish I had a second bottle. This beer is great.

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%

It pours a kind of dim light-orange. Not clear but not cloudy. It isn't too inviting to look at, with a thinnish head that dissipates quicker than a fart by an open window. The smell is hoppy yet also sweet and yeasty -- as I find imperials are want to be.

Hmmm. This is an odd one. Everything you expect is there, tis highly hopped and a slamming dose of bready malt plays the bass notes... OK I gave it ten minutes and a few more sips. It's not bitter enough, that's the main issue. Plus, the hops are all sticky grapefruit and tangerine, but could use a little pine. Everything is at the warm-end of the taste spectrum, if you get what I mean. The mineral, medicinal rawness that I crave is absent. I'm in the unfamiliar position of evaluating the dominant maltiness of an IIPA: it's pleasant, but not what I lined up for.

I'm grading this a B halfway through my second glass, and I can say the flavour improves with temperature. It's solid, but I can think of five other IIPAs in thie price bracket that I'd go to before this one.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

SO much better than their West Coast IPA which was tooo bitter for my taste and I like IPA's. I just like balanced IPA's. The imperial delivers from the hazy coppery head, large off white foam, pine on the nose, grapefruit hidden behind, to the sweet fading to bitter long lasting finish. Thoroughly enjoyed this one although like most IPA's it's definitely not one you want to drink more than a couple of in one sitting.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Hazy gold, with a very thick head - looks promising;
S: Very strong hoppy odor - I'm expecting some bitterness;
T: Wonderful hops, which dominate at first, then linger in the background;
M: Again, hops dominate here, but still a more mellow mouthfeel;
D: I'm very, very happy I made this purchase - this is a solid IPA that I would probably pick up again (if there weren't so many other beers I want to try first....)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pleasant pumpkin-orange in color with huge head. A rested bottle resulted a vigorously carbonated pour. Exactly the look of a great IPA.

S- Much as one would expect from Green Flash- very hoppy and floral with solid citrus presence.

T- This beer tastes quite like it smells- perhaps too much so. Lots of pine and citrus along with an off-note I can't quite place. Very little malt character. There is a definite loss of desired flavors as the beer warms post-pour with a noticeable increase in the alcohol flavor.

M- Lighter drinking than expected. Flavors are resinous, but the mouthfeel isn't. There is almost an astringent character to it.

D- The appearance and smell of this DIPA suggested something that the taste and finish didn't really come through on, for some reason. Certainly a tasty beer but I can't quite help but feel that something is missing. Excellent for the price, though.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

I have not been enjoying big ipas of late, probably for a year or two. But I think this one has brought me back. Big beautiful soapy creamy white head which is lasting very nicely, and leaving some great lacing. The beer is bright orange tangerine with a bit of haze that could very well be chill induced. Wonderful grapefruity citrus nose with a reassuring hint of grainish malt. Bitter, but not just straight up bitter...bitter with flavor of grapefruit, or orange rind...bitter with a backbone of flavor. Bitter but in balance with a sweetness that brings harmony. I am really enjoying this. Each sip encourages another...slick, smooth, nice rich body without being overwhelming. Also, this beer is dangerous, 9.4% is hidden. I will buy it again.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bomber into a pint glass. Best by 3/1/14.

A: Pours a cloudy deep orange with a fluffy off-white head. Good retention and excellent lacing.

S: Slight citrus, mostly grapefruit.

T: Piney with a bitter drying finish. And I mean that in the best way. The summit and nugget hops are quick, but not abrasive, and give this DIPA a unique weedy flavor. The bitterness lingers and dries in a way that invites repeated tastings.

M: Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

O: Another winner from Green Flash. Not as hop-forward as Palate Wrecker or Green Bullet, but finishes a bit smoother. The 9.4% ABV is well-hidden behind the piney dryness.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I just have one question for this beer: Where's the alcohol. This beer is so smooth it reminds me of drinking an Pale ale. Simply incredible. With a straw like color, piney smell, and flavor of drinking a mellow pale ale. Simply incredible, I would have to say prove to me this is a 9% alcohol beer, it surely tastes awesome, but the alcohol is hidden without a doubt.

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

Shared a 22oz with 3 friends and have to say I'm glad I did. I could not have finished this beer by myself. Maybe it's that I'm a FORMER hophead who has since found myself preferring malt and yeast as the more prevalant flavors in my beer but this was just outrageous. And not necessarily in a good way.

Appearance is a bit light colored for what I expected but not off with lasting head, though virtually no lacing.

Aroma just smacks the insides of the nose with scents of earthy pine and one of my buddies suggested the smell of a certain herbal substance that won't be named. The smell is certainly not citrus as many here suggest.

The flavor has virturally no malt to be found but just biting bitterness and hop flavors that run from pine straight to licking wood. Guess that's what they mean by a "san diego IPA" on the bottle.

For me, drinkability is somewhat poor even considering that this is a sipping beer @ 9%. As mentioned before I could not have finished this beer alone. Sorry GF, this one really didn't do it for me. Guess I'll go back to the East coast next time I want a double IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

from notes - tasted 5.11.08 in an oversized wine glass

A distinctly orange cloudy beer with a light oily head with a little bit of lacing left over on the glass.

Wet grass and orange blossom smells rose from the glass and faded into a faint alcohol scent with some tangerine-y sweetness in the malt. Mouthwatering.

Hoppy orange and citrus tastes prevailed initially, lending a balanced taste that wasn't too bitter. Though it tasted less balanced as it warmed, it still made for a refreshing aperitif. Some late musty tastes.

Mouthfeel was crisp and drying, but seemed thin for the appearance and smell.

Overall, a very appetizing brew that didn't hit me over the head with hops like some DIPAs. I could definitely have some more.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 22-oz bottle.

I'm a big fan of Green Flash Brewing Company, and seeing this at the store... no need for hesitation.

Big, foamy head that stays up for a while.

Floral aroma... one of GF's standards in IPA's.

Taste... light sustaining hops... subtly sweet and fruity bite.

Mouthfeel... feels medium full... not a bit of wateriness to it.

I love it. I love it. I love it.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Served on cask at Flying Saucer in Houston.

Beer pours a clear, light golden yellow, with a mass of translucent bubbles that cling to the sides of the glass.

The smell is understated, extremely so for an DIPA. I expected much more floral or bitter hoppy notes.

The taste is light, due mostly to the mouthfeel, with bitterness from the hops hitting the back of the tongue. Definitely don't taste the ABV on this one.

The mouthfeel is very thin and refreshing, but it lacks the body that you'd expect from the best DIPAs. It's not bad, just different and unexpected.

Overall, this is a fine beer, but it's not about to usurp 90 Min or Pliny...

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Best IPA on West Coast - hands down. Packaging isn't so hot. Almost didn't want to buy but I had heard about them and anything Green Flash has gotta be groovy.

Fantastic , balance IPA really great. Wish it was sold in more State that I could purchase because I would definitely buy this a lot.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried at local piZza joint before ordering and was very impressed by the hoppiness appearance and overall flavor. Not overwhelmed at all by the alcohol content, which is truly amazing in my book

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Cooper and clear, nice head good retention and great lacing. Smell is citrus. taste is good, the hops are pleasant not overwhelming. The body is where this beer is great, the malt is sticky and thick. Nice body. Overall, at 9.4% abv this beer hides the alcohol, delivers on taste and satisfaction.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

I pored this beer from a 22oz bottle no freshness date in to a pint glass. The Head on this beer is white, foamy almost frothy, with good retention. The body is coppery amber in color and crystal clear probably the clearest beer I have drank besides DFH 90. Excellent lacing this beer is great to look at. The smell is hops and sweet malt as soon as you breathe it in. I find some fruity and citrus in there as well. Wow the taste is hoppy 101 IBU's, tart and sweet malt flavor just like it smells. The mouth feel is medium and crisp with Grapefruit flavor in there with a bitter bite. Hops and malts balance this beer out so the high 9% ABV is almost unnoticeable, until it gets to room temp then watch out the alcohol flavors start oozing out. If you like hoppy your going to enjoy this beer Green Flash never disappoints.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to Beertunes for trading this bomber to me!

A- Golden amber colored and a large head (for this style anyway) despite a gentle pour.

S- Sweet malt and a subdued hop aroma.

T- Sweet and bitter and a little boozy which is kind of odd. I only wish the flavor could be more complex, the finishing hops are either masked by the bittering hops or are not ample enough.

M- Very dry which is alright for a hoppy beer such as this.

D- I finished the bomber, but I could imagine cracking open another if I had it, which can be a good thing.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Cloudy amber, but rich color amber, the kind they find fossils in.

Taste starts light and comes on stronger. Dances across the tongue rather than hop-dumping on it. Nice bitter aftertaste, if you like that kind of thing, but not overpowering.

I prefer West Coast IPA and Hop Head Red, two fine brews from Green Flash. But this comes real close.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.