Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Reaching new heights, the mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this intense high gravity Imperial IPA will thrill even the extreme beer adventurer. Unearth savory pine, evergreen and pineapple aromas and experience the colossal rush of a hoppy adventure. We challenge you to conquer this mountain, then sit back, relax and savor the magnificence of the brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 985 | Hads: 2,551
3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Copper in color, nice head, this beer almosts looks like your average Macro lager. Smell is piney with a small amount of grapefruit citrus. Taste is weak in this one. I am disappointed in the taste. Not a good DIPA by any means. Mouthfeel is average. I think if it tasted better I would be able to drink a ton of these since the taste is so weak. Overall, not impressed. (370 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Got a 22oz bottle at BevMo for about $5.

A nice West Coast Imperial IPA, with a clean citrus hops bite and alcohol aftertaste that is just about right. Doesn't quite have the malty sweetness or balance of a 90 Minute or Maharaja, but still a reasonably priced, solid IIPA. I could have easily had a couple bottles in a sitting.

This one is worth checking out, and I will buy it again. (386 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured in a large snifter from 22 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Immense dense foamy meringue head with longevity. An apricot golden semi haze. Semi opaque.
Spotty and sticky lacing constellates on the glass.

Aroma: Evergreen. Sticky sweet and warming. Herbaceous dankness.

Flavor: Tastes of fresh bread with toasty caramelized crust. Resiny herbaceous and grassy. Caraway. Lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body coats the mouth. Cleansing carbonation. Soapy.

Overall impression: Nicely balanced Imperial IPA with unique flavors and aromas. Definitely feel the gravity. A refreshing bracer after a hard day working in the yard. (632 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

this is just a GREAT double IPA...pours fantastic with a head that wont quit...it smells great..piney and u can smell every hop and then some...the first taste tells you that ur really gonna love this beer...of all the doubles I've had this is in my top 5 for sure... (267 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.2%

650ml bottle at The Local Pub.

Apperance: Coppery golden colour, hazy, with a nice tan head. Very clear body!

Smell: Aroma was toffee, caramel and bread from the malts used probably. The hops were deffinitely there but no so intense as hopped. hints of pine and maybe pineapple.

Taste: The taste was a little bitter with tropical fruits (maybe peach?) while the aftertaste was pure caramel, again from the big malts used. I was hopping a not so balanced beer, but one on the hoppy side.

Apperance; The body was medium to full with average to high carbonartion.

Overall: not the best DIPA I ever had, but a nice one nontheless. i was hoping for more hops, but as it seems I tend to like Green Flash's Porter-Stous rather that their IPAs. (742 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy yellow color, with a nice thick white head that thins out nicely, into my Green Flash pint glass (thanks to Cost Plus World Market). Good lacing as well. Smell was very strong pine and resin and some citrus notes. Taste was awesomely piney and bracing. Wonderful lingering bitter hop aftertaste. This is exceptionally drinkable given high abv. One of my first big west coast hop bombs and I can't wait to keep drinking them. Yum. (442 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

West Coast IPA's are as amazing as the produce out there. I liked this. Picked this one up at the Foodery in Philadelphia (N. Liberties). This one's made with Simcoe and Nugget hops. Simcoe hops seem to have become a staple of this style, with no complaints from me. I also recently brewed with some Nugget hops...they have an amazing smell.
I've become a big fan of Green Flash, given every one I've had has been pretty decent. (430 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a Tulip Glass

Appearance - Pours a hazey yellow gold with a thick foam head that holds well and leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Smell - Very strong citrus hop with a hint of.

Taste - Smooth initial feel then swarmed with some serious hop flavor finishing off warm and dry.

Mouthfeel - Goes down extremely smooth and easy despite packing in a great hop flavor and a high degree of bitterness. This might become my goto IPA

Drinkability - Highly drinkable for all of it's flavor and punch it goes down amazingly smooth. (537 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Cloudy. very nice gold amber color. off white yellow creme head.

S- Starts sweet and creamy and leads into a natural pine hoppy smell.

T- Medium carb. Hops are very Rich and present. Citrusy, maybe lemon. Aftertaste sticks.

M- Creamy and smooth with a BOLD taste. Has a rather harsh aftertaste.

D- bitterness does go well with most meat. i'f i had a steak, i'd have another. (381 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Golden and orange-brown hue. One finger of head

S: Hoppy smell with pine signatures. Slight fruity aromas that blend well with the hops

T: The hops are immediately present, but not overwhelming. Accompanied by a firm, yet pleasant pine taste. Slight apricot-richness after it settles for a moment.

M: Noticeable bitterness from the hops. However, there is a richness that balances off the overt I.B.U. and makes it a clean finish. Ends with a nice bitter grip

D: This beer proves in my mind to be another delicious presentation from Green Flash that produces its own interesting identity within the realm of Imperial IPA's. Personally I love the hoppy qualities of the beer and would have no inhibitions to continue drinking it. However, I would caution to those who are turned off by higher levels of bitterness in beer because this one can pack a punch. Overall I was very pleased and would highly recommend trying it. (928 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz Bomber

A - Gold, not clear. Good head, good lacing. Interesting !

S - POW! Is that concentrated pine tree resin and orange peels? Can't wait to taste it !

T - Mmmm, that is tasty, you can feel the ABV right away. An almost smoky and resinous herbal flavor, hard to describe, there must have been a lot of hops brewed in here. A bit rough, but great for the same reason.

M - good body, good carbonation

D - An Adventure really. (436 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%

Tasted on January 13, 2013:

A: Pours a chestnut color. Has a good lacing and has close to an inch of foam. Foam stays for awhile.

S: Strong smell of citrus and pine. Don't smell much else. Hops are smelt in there too.

T: Very hoppy in the beginning, but not overly hoppy. Slightly sweet in the end with very strong pine notes.

M: Medium heaviness on the tongue. Still can taste the pine.

O: Not as hoppy as I was expecting for an Imperial, but still quite enjoyable. I enjoyed the taste of pine. (500 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a 22oz snifter.
Excellent, easy pour with a nice one finger head. The head settles quickly leaving a central slick and a clingy edge ring. The color is a typical orange / yellow but the cloudiness was perfectly uniform without visible particulates. I loved it. It does clear up a little by the end of the glass.
The smell was almost as good as the appearance. I think I like Moylans Hopsicle better but this could almost rate a 5. Pineapple and orange creamsicle come to mind.
The taste was a bit surprising. It bursts across the lips and onto the tongue but it ends quickly and leaves minimal aftertaste with only mild bitterness. I am not sure if it is mild or smooth but by the end of the glass I am thinking it is just very smooth, possibly warranting a higher rating than 4.
Mouthfeel is good. It is fairly thick but has minimal slickness and is only mildly dry.
The drinkability rating is somewhat skewed by my inability to determine whether I think it is a 'mild' or a 'smooth' Double IPA. I feel a little let down but at the same time I want to go get another one to see if I can figure out how I really feel about it. However, at 9% ABV (which was unnoticeable) I will have to visit this beer again some other day. I do highly recommend it, though. (1,274 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Orange/gold and very hazy. Has a good, thick head and some really phenomenal lacing.

Smell: This one showcases the pine characteristics of the hops moreso than the grassiness or citrus flavors. Has a skunky grassy flavor going on as well (but not like a skunked beer at all) and the 9% ABV is nowhere to be found.

Taste: Very hoppy, again with the pine characteristics dominating. The malt is detectable and manages to hold up to the intense hops flavor. The hops bitterness lingers quite a while in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Slightly less thick and sticky than I'd like for a DIPA. It has a good, moderate level of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is very drinkable for a beer with such a high ABV but it was difficult to finish an entire bomber without wanting to switch back and forth with something with less hops intensity as I usually do when drinking 100+ IBU DIPA's. (891 characters)

I love this beer. I didn't realize how much until I searched for double IPA's and Imperial IPA's for the past year. I realized that there are very few that are so hoppy and smooth without a sweet after taste or thickened body.

This is the beer that I have been comparing other to, even Pliny the Elder. There are a few other companies in northern CA that are similar, but not with the same intense hoppy flavor of this San Diego area beer. I wnat to try it on tap. (466 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Heard alot about this beer and finally got my hands on a couple bottles.

A: Orange copper color.

S: Fruity and piney hop aroma.

T: Hop balance is really nice. Mix of fruity, piney, and spicy.

M: Med body, fair head retention.

D: This beer lived up to my expectations. Spicy, fruity, piney hop complexity. Went down smooth and I will drink it whenever I see it. (365 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a beautiful gold with about half an inch of solid head that clings to the glass.

Smells like summit hops and a bit of masculine cologne. Pretty nice, but a bit too chaotic for my liking.

The taste starts off bready and biscuity, but ends with a powerful bitter bite. It isn't that sharp tip of tongue bitter I expect from an IPA, but a drawn out, side of cheek bitter. The hop flavor is robust, heavy, and not exactly what I usually like in double IPAs. Maybe I have grown up on East Coast IPAs, but I'm not a fan of their hop selection.

Mouthfeel is quite smooth and easy.

Not incredibly drinkable, but definitely a fine brew. (638 characters)

a:light copper

s: hops, pineapple, and more hops.

t: fruity, hoppy finish

m:sweet yet a little bitter leaves you wanting more.

d: really easy to drink. hands down my go to imperial ipa. a must for anyone who loves a "hoppy beer" at a reasonable price! (255 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is outstanding. It's strong and that's good and bad. Wish I could drink a few of these. Tastes of copper and citrus with a hint of malt. Much like their single ipa only better. Great beer in all respects. (209 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 22oz bomber into Stella glass. First beer I've had from Green Flash.

Beautiful pour, nice head quickly retreating but leaving a fine lace on the glass.

Hops are in your face! Very apparent in the aroma and flavor. Spicy.

A well-balanced beer. Alcohol is warming but not overpowering. Smooth, slick, mouth feel.

Not available locally here in NY, however I will definitely buy this again should I come across it. (428 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Light amber hue, and slightly opaque. Sparse, small bubbles form a minimal head.

S: Orchard fruit and raisins on the nose; the hop character is assertive but does not overpower the malty sweetness. In fact, it smelled appealing enough that I had to excercise a bit of self control to stop myself from taking a drink before fully taking consideration of the aroma.

T: The piney/citrusy elements come through and linger on the tongue (this aftertaste reminded me of citrus peel, like Campari). The 9% ABV wasn't so apparent on the first taste, but came through on successive sips.

M: Crisp feel and lively carbonation, yet smooth and somewhat creamy.

D: Certainly delivers what it promises as an Imperial IPA. I've found this more drinkable than similar IPAs with a claimed IBU of ~100, but the overall flavor profile don't seem as nuanced as one might like. This is the first offering I've sampled from Green Flash, and while I'm not planning to come back to this Imperial IPA right away, I'll definitely pick up their West Coast IPA to see how it compares. (1,065 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A pretty good ipa.

Beautiful amber/orange color. moderate off white head and bubbly lacing.

I didn't get too much off the nose. Medium grapefruit, pine, and hops.

On the lips it hits pretty big. Fresh, full, and you guessed it, lots of hopps! Sweet citrus finish. Took my fungiform papillae for a ride.

ipa's are what got me into drinking good beer and i would suggest this to anyone looking for some flavor. (415 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into a tulip. Great thick two-finger head lingers for a bit before it pulls back and leaves a wonderful lacing on the glass. Appears a darker orange, with no real opacity whatsoever. In fact, compared to a couple other IPAs I've had, this is very very clear.

Smell is definitely the first thing I notice about this brew. Probably the most fragrant IPA, or IIPA for that matter, I've had; strong hints of pine and hops dominate the bouquet, so much so that after five minutes of sitting on my table, my entire room now smells of wilderness. Excellent.

While it smells of fresh hops, citrus notes are first and foremost on the palate, with the hops only present on the finish. Very balanced for an IIPA; there's a hint of alcohol taste, but it blends well with the citrus. Only other IIPA I've had that is as balanced and yet has such depth is HopSlam.

Mouthfeel is great, with a relatively light carbonation that doesn't stampede over the taste. Overall this feels like a very light beer that shouldn't be hard on the stomach, even if it is 101 IBU's.

Drinkability is definitely there; it really does its best to try to edge out HopSlam in this category. Even after one bomber my tastebuds aren't completely dead; on the contrary, they keep on telling me they want more!

Ultimately, this is quickly becoming my favorite IIPA. Third time I'm having Green Flash IIPA, and it hasn't disappointed me yet. No other IIPA I've had has a bouquet that's so fresh and inviting. The IBU's don't seem noticeable at all, and this is THE beer that I'm thankful comes in bombers and not sixers; I can easily see myself downing three or four of these before I realize I'm out for the count. (1,685 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1%

a: Burnt orange color.. 2 finger light tan head.. Nice lacing..

s: Citrus.. Pine needles.. SoCal double..

t: Very smooth.. Great hop flavor..

m: Surprisingly smooth bitterness..

d: Could drink this one all day.. And night.. Another great offering from Green Flash.. (269 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was just as i expected it to be, extremely hoppy with a great malt backing to balance the taste and leave with a great aftertaste. The alcohol level was well hidden with the west coast hoppy goodness packed in. I really enjoyed this beer and hope to have it again soon. Once again, a great beer produced by Green Flash brewers! (337 characters)

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.