Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Served in a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.

Appearance- dark golden color similar to honey, thick white head that was high but diminished shortly after pour.

Aroma- Incredible tropical scent. Pineapple most notable.

Taste- Disappointing considering the aroma. Maybe I set my expectations too high.The flavor is as intense as the aroma, and that's not necessarily a good thing. Fruity at first with a bitter finish. Serving temp might not be ideal. Alcohol is fairly apparent.

Mouthfeel- Lighter, less intense, smooth, subtly creamy.

Overall
A beer that smells so good that the taste sort of disappoints. A good DIPA, but the bitterness is hard to ignore.

bobpanz, Mar 17, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance-Amber and hazy, almost the same look as a hefeweizen. Big head, 3 fingers, that dissapates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Aroma-I didn't even want to taste the brew I just wanted to keep smelling it. Instantly a huge aroma of Pineapple and Mango, with some citrus in there. After a few more sniffs got some floral and pine notes. Wow, can't wait to taste.

Taste-Definitely get the malt here, still able to pick up alot of the fruits. Fruits and Malt basically throughout from beginning to end. Not as hoppy as I'd wished, more hops I would probably given it a 5.

Mouthfeel-Bitter in the aftertaste, medium bodied.

Overall-Though the hops aren't the star, this is still an excellent beer. The fruit aroma and taste is great. Definitely a good represenation of a West Coast IPA(which I don't get to drink often). I really like where this beer is going, definitely going to seek out some more Green Flash products.

SWMeyer4141, Mar 17, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a slight burnished golden colour, mild haze but mostly transparent. Head is pleasant, off-white and foamy, retaining a thin crown. Lace is decent, sticky. Yeah, pretty good.

Smells great, like an imperial IPA should. Lots of sweet, fruit-tinged West Coast hop aromas, with plenty of citrus, pine resin and a good hazelnutty caramel malt underlying. Slight tang to the hops, but otherwise sweet, airy, pleasant.

Taste is decent enough, quite malty with lots of nutty and caramel sweetnesses kicking me in the fact. Hops are a bit subdued - possibly showing its age here - with a pleasant citrus-forward flavour early-mid that provides a slight fruit rind bitterness later, but it virtually disappears by the finish, leaving a nutty back-palate and mild citric aftertaste. Decent, but aged. I will endeavour to grab a fresh one next time I'm in the states. *ahem*

Nice foamy texture to it, a bit drying on the back, but good body. Great mouthfeel.

Very pleasant drinking. Without that aggressive hop bitterness it's very palatable. But will need to judge a fresher bottle, really.

laituegonflable, Mar 17, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a wine glass.

Appearance-Burnished gold in color, clear. Tall, nearly white head with good retention and great lacing.

Aroma-HUGE hop bouquet-with tropical fruits (pineapple, mango), citrus (orange, grapefruit), flowers, and pine. Light toasted and caramel malt aromas are perceptible. Light pungent alcohols.

Flavor-Extremely light grainy malt backbone is overwhelmed by hop flavors and hop bitterness. Lots of pine and grapefruit, along with some floral notes and light pineapple. Alcohol is present, but barely noticeable. Hop bitterness is moderately high to high, though I would hardly call this a tongue-peeler. Finish is dry from hop bitterness and alcohol, and has drawn out piney, green hop flavors.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, moderate carbonation. Smooth and a bit creamy. No astringency even with high hop rates. Definite alcohol warmth.

It's good, and the hop profile is awesome, but a huge beer like this needs to have some sort of malt profile to back it up-there's not much malt in the aroma (which I can deal with), but I'd like some more malt character in the flavor. After about half the bottle, I'm ready to be done with it.

plfahey, Mar 16, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Had this on 2011-03-12 at The Drafting Room Hopfest

A - Mildly hazy golden orange with a 1-finger head and lots of lacing

S - Pineapple. orange, hop floral, orange citrus, pine and a hint of grain.

T - Bready, pineapple, grapefruit and fresh fruit taste, like a hint of raspberry, which was enjoyable. Plenty of bitterness. Alcohol is evident but well-integrated. Lingering sweetness and bitterness clings to the tongue. Sweeter than the GF West Coast IPA

M - A little less than medium body and carbonation. Smooth. Resinous and a little prickly.

D - Had this with a Pliny the Younger and Pliny the Elder, side-by-side-by-side. It tasted quite good but didn't have the complexity of either of the Russian River brews. Not surprisingly, the Imperial tasted better on-tap than from the bottle, probably because this was fresh. Given the choice, I'd take the West Coast IPA over the Imperial.

Tucquan, Mar 13, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

One of my favorite IPA's of all time. Crush fresh hops in your hand and it will smell like this beer. I love this beer so much I went to their garage about an hour or so away from San Diego and told them they need to sell this in Seattle as we LOVE IPA's! They have started sending it to us!!! I bought a case of it from them at the "pub" to bring back and had to pull all sorts of stuff out of my checked bag just so I would be under the 50 lb limit. Oh yes, it is that good!

SquirrelBoy22, Mar 09, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

A- a transparent amber with white head and great retention.
S-nice amounts of citrus and pine hops
T-alot like it smells. Nice blend of pine and citrus hopswith a clean and smooth inishh
M-medium bodied and very smooth
D-very drinkable. Gone in no time!!

brew3crew, Mar 09, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from bomber bottle into a snifter glass. No bottle date present, as with other Green Flash stuff that we get here on East Coast.

A: Pours a hazy, yellow/orange color, thin white head, mild carbonation, head fades quickly, OK lacing on the glass.

S: Not the hoppy burst that I was expecting or had read about in other posts. Starting to think that this bottle might be out-dated. I get more malt than hops.

T: I don't get hops! I get all malt here. Some bite on the back end with mild hops. But nothing floral or citrusy. Upsetting.

M: Hardly any mouth coating here. No DIPA mouth pucker either. I understand that most DIPAs are sweeter, but this is a malt bomb. As mentioned, some bite at end.

D: I hate to say it, because I love the GF West Coast IPA, but this one is a "one and done" for me. Very unpleased. I blame the bottle dating problem, no the beer.

inlimbo77, Mar 05, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz. glass bottle into a tulip imperial pint glass.

A - Clear orange amber with a thick, foamy off-white head. I'm a little surprised at how clear the beer is, given how much sediment is visible in the Green Flash West Coast IPA.

S - Lots of piny, resiny hops. Citrus fruits - grapefruit, a little orange as well. Backed up by a sweet foundation.

T - Quite malty and sweet actually -- resembles some barleywines I've tried. Fear not, there's still plenty of hop content. Pine and grapefruit, followed by a nutty sweetness.

M - Medium-bodied, oily and sticky. Warming alcohol is felt in the mouth and throat,

D - Quite drinkable, a very balanced DIPA yet still will satisfy all but the most purist of hopheads.

NefariousR, Mar 01, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

I will be drinking this as long as the store carries it.

A: Dark golden coloring with medium lacing.

S: Smells pretty malty, but it still cant hides the hops in this Imperial IPA

M: Medium carbonation, very stringent. Bitter, but "Duh."

D: If you like high IBU's then you are good with this. I want lots, I wish I had more.

Loved it.

sme4r, Feb 25, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

A - 2 fingers of off-white yellowish head creates deep mounds and sticky lacing. Light amber color.

S - A mix of oily citrus, skunky herbal, and earthy hops. A candy sweet malt sits shyly on the back row.

T - A nutty, earthy, tangerine citrus hops blast a whirlwind of flavor. Leafy herbal flavors sweep in and turns the flavor on a dime. The caramel malt hold up good and a white sugar sweetness adds to contend with the hops. Finish is dry and biscuty.

M - Awesome mouthfeel! Starts sudsy creamy then goes thick and silky.

The Summit and Nugget hops definatly add a different twist to the hop profile. Don't know how fresh this was but it didn't seem like 101 ibu's. A fine herbal DIPA.

StaveHooks, Feb 24, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Bomber...tulip glass.

This pours a brilliant yellow-orange color, with a film-like foam.

The aroma is a great feature. Very piney and citrusy. Aroma just pouring out. Just what I like.

Taste - grapefruit chiefly; wood, juniper berries also.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability - very manageable; it does have a strong bitter aftertaste which is not unpleasant but could be if you don't like really bitter beers. Slight alcohol burn.

SkipWeathers, Feb 24, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Poured into a tulip glass... bright white three finger head that lingers and drips like California Sea Foam down the rim of the glass. Beautiful honey orange hazy color. Cloudy with really nice carbonation.

S- Grapefruit and lemon peel hit the nose at first sniff. Subtle pine hoppiness. Very floral and fresh. Like a breeze at a picnic in a grapefruit grove. Clover, thyme and honey linger...

T- Clean and fresh citrus peel taste. Sticky, hoppy, and piney. Nice bubble action cover the tongue. Really nice balance of hops, malt, and citrus... Barely a hint of alcohol comes thru on this 9.4% Imperial!

M- Between the citrus and piney taste... kinda numbs the tongue a bit. It really sticks around, but not cloyingly sweet like some IIPA's can be. Make your mouth feel really fresh! Like Citra-mint or something.

D- This is fantastic! Really glad I picked this one up! I'm really happy to have a piece of sunny San Diego in my glass! 9.4%, 101 I.B.U.'s, and only $5.99 for a bomber... Here comes the sun!!!

Thickfreakness, Feb 14, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Pours a very hazy orange with two fingers of fluffy white head. Head recedes into a thin white cap but leaves nice lacing.

S: A little caramel malt up front followed by a hint of sweet citrus and then lots of sticky, resiny pine.

T: Similar to the aroma, there's a slight sweetness with some citrus up front but then the resin and pine kick in, knocking every other flavor out of the way. Finish is quite bitter and lingers on the tongue well after the sip is taken.

M: Medium body and carbonation that provides a kick for the bitterness. There's an oily texture to it as well.

D: With the lingering bitterness and oily texture, it's not all that drinkable.

Overall, not a bad DIPA, but a bitter bomb without much complexity.

n2185, Feb 13, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

A: murky golden , nice thick healthy head upon hearty pour. beautiful! Just like I like it!

S: Hoppy classic grapefruit IPA scent. Little bread n' butter in the background.

T: A masterful blend of hoppy bitterness, malty sweetness, and bready heartiness. This beer dances on the tongue. Fantastic!

M: As this sloshes around your mouth, the 9.4 % APV is not what you are thinking about. The alcohol is amazingly masked, and the carbonation is subtle, yet present.

D: I am shocked how smooth and drinkable this is at 9.4%. Some of my favorite DIPA's are not nearly this drinkable as the alcohol smacks you in the face, not here. Dangerously drinkable...

Fantastic beer!

Avantyawn, Feb 12, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +12%

Great Head (i mean the beer not the woman).

Orangy gold in color, with a slight brown.

An immediate hop flavor followed by a sweet, malty taste which almost reminded of cotton candy believe it or not. Munich and crystal malt maybe? A decent balance between hoppiness/bitterness & maltiness/sweetness. Overall an excellently crafter brew.

This beer definitely defines what San Diego beer is all about. Malty, hoppy, and just as strong, if not, stronger than our former Governader Arnold.

jarryd, Feb 11, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +10%

I poured half of a 22 oz bomber into my tulip...

The liquid was a bright, golden, orange, there was a thick bubbly white head.

You could smell the hops as soon as opened the bottle, hints of lemon, grapefruit, pine, tangerine and butter.

I took a sip and experienced a delightful bitter hop explosion, I tasted pine resin, orange and grapefruit, then a wave of sweet malt balances things out leaving a lingering bitter aftertaste.

This beer is thick, it left my mouth watering after every sip, there is low carbonation and a warming, dry finish.

The intense flavor hid the alcohol well, this is an excellent beverage, it filled me with joy after every sip.

JMad, Feb 09, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Review #1600 and my 100th Imperial IPA review. To be read in the accent of an early 20th century British officer.

Beer brewed for the occupation, heavily hopped with a high alcohol to survive the steerage of transport to the confederated principalities of the Indian subcontinent. This particular tankard is amber and hazy no doubt from the strapped barrels this particular ale was stored in for it's journey. Head is mild and white with a healthy coating on the walls of the glass. Looks smashing.

Aroma is floral of the variety of the Humulus flower, a curious weed from the hemp family. There is an earthiness that reminds me of the highlands, almost a moss or sulfur. A maltiness accompanies this flower on this olfactory journey.

As I tipple, the palate of the beer unfolds a fan of flavors ranging from sweet to bitter on the end. Smooth, one of the best drinks of the annum. I could imbibe nearly a gallon (in the Queen's measurements) of this fine ale. The finish is dasterdly bitter, but not overly dry. As I approach the finish I realize that that's all there is and there is to be no more. I would fancy another pint or quart.

drabmuh, Feb 08, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

sampled this at a recent home brew club meeting.

this beer pours a nice golden straw color with a decent white that lasts. The smell is nice, typical west coast style ipa smell, nice citrus floral hop aroma. the taste is fairly similar to the smell citrus floral hop flavors, with fairly controlled bitterness, nothing over the top bitter. the abv is fairly well hidden. the mouthfeel is a little bit heavier than normal for the style, but not as heavy as hoptimum. very drinkable. definitely worth trying

rowingbrewer, Feb 06, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

Sorry, just going through my review book and posting these, but here it goes.

Split a 22 with my bro-in-law.

A: Great golden, honey color. Pretty clear for a beer like this. Thick head with decent staying power. Moderate lacing.

S: Good smells of general citrus, grapefruit, passionfruit maybe?

T: The flavors are great, but not very intense. What I can taste are sweet grapefruit, and a slight hoppy bitterness. The only problem with this brew is that while the alcohol isn't completely overpowering, it has a big enough presence to overpower the faint flavors.

M: Nothing crazy noteworthy here. Just solid.

D: Not bad. But at 9%, it should probably not make me want to have another different beer right after I drank this one because I want more flavor.

AbyssJunkie13, Feb 06, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

A- Pours a deep orange with about 2 fingers of white head.

S- When I first opened the bottle i could smell the big hop aroma but after the pour I really get a lot of malt with a little grapefruit and pine trying to come through. I thought this was a fresh bottle because the store I got it from just got it in but it may be older.

T- At the front it is a little sweet followed by mild grapefruit, not really getting any pine, then bitterness at the end that hangs around for a while but its still a dry finish. The alcohol isn't really present in the taste.

M- A medium body, carbonation is nice and cleans palate except the bitterness of the hops at the end which isn't a bad thing for me.

D- This beer is super easy to drink especially at 9.4 a.b.v. and 101 i.b.u.'s, I really didn't get that much bitterness out of it though. The smoothness of this beer really is what I feel is it's best attribute.

I was expecting more or maybe just something different out of this beer, I would like to get another bottle I know is fresh to compare to. I thought the Imperial would fall more in line with there west coast IPA which is like smelling and tasting fresh a Christmas tree(it blew me away) so I am little disappointed on how is one was but all in all this is a great beer and I would suggest people try it out.

d4114, Feb 05, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

A -Big frothy head, a little hazy in an otherwise pale yellow beverage.

S - Bitter hop goodness strikes out right away with a nice earthy/musky follow up nose dagger.

T -The honey sweet notes of this one can't hide the beautiful bitter mouth fun time that happens almost immediately. Fantastically great tasting

M - Mostly pedestrian as far as this one goes. High carbonation, bitter and dry aftertaste.

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I will have more!

gopens44, Feb 05, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +1%

Reviewed from Notes (no freshness info)

Poured into Duvel Tulip

A: fairly aggressive pour, 2" white head, golden amber body, no haze, messy lacing

N: grapefruit & pine, BIG, this is an your face nose, some tangerine

T: mainly grapefruit & pine, big bitterness (I believe the 101 IBUs), nice and dry, very little sweetness pokes through, a little one dimensional, the choice of Summit and Nugget was interesting and gives this DIPA a unique flavor

M: chewy and viscous like I like my big ass DIPAs

D: 9.4% ABV just barely makes it presence known, this is superbly drinkable for the ABV

thanks to cduckett for the extra!

modernartblues, Feb 04, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a clear burnt orange with solid off-white foamy head on top that laces and retains incredibly well, resulting in a fluid half finger cap after a couple minutes.

Smell is immediately of citrus rind, probably grapefruit, and of sticky sweet malt.

Taste starts with sweetness then moves to a pleasant mild bitterness that fades to a finish that is not quite dry, but not sticky either. This brew is warming initially, and the hops and citrus serve to cool it back down, which is a very nice effect.

That sticky/dry finish is excellent, but the stickiness tends to become dominant later in the drink, hurting the drinkability. Overall this is one solid IIPA, and for the price of 6$ I'd buy this again for sure.

madvermin, Feb 03, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

This imperial IPA pours a slightly hazy golden honey color from the 22oz bottle. The label says 101i.B.U's and 9.4% abv. This one seems like it will be a hop bomb and the slightly soapy diminishing white head suggests the same.

The nose is a punch in the face with hops. Bold and piney with a kiss of juicy fruit and tropical scents. Very subtle malt, barely peaking through the hop-ness.

Taste is a step down but still very good. The hop is featured prominently with firm piney and juicy fruit flavors. But the problem is that same hop goodness is beaten down by it's bitterness. The I.B.U's might be a little high for this one because they bite and dominate the flavors. Still tasty but kind of harsh.

Mouthfeel is a lot of hop bitterness as stated earlier. Once you get past that the slight carbonation is very nice and yields a sweet soft body. Quite pleasing despite the pinch of hop. This brew is more like a barleywine but still very flavorfull and quite drinkable. A good one to try.

jbphoto88, Feb 02, 2011
Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.