Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

pDev: 11%
Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
maximum12

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to stumac for sending this my way in a late fall trade. After having the regular Green Flash IPA I was looking forward to a Barry-Bonds version.

Three things jump out. First is the gusher! Beer splashes on my 6 year old daughter's homework, which I'm sure isn't good (do you think I might have found an open piece of counter? Nooo, I'm not that smart, open it right over 4+7). Second is the paleness, more like an APA than a IIPA or even an IPA. Finally the drinkability, this might be the easiest-to-down IIPA I've had to date.

The IBUs on the bottle indicate a hoppy decapitation is forthcoming, but not so. Even after a few swigs, I can still feel my taste buds. I can feel the hop strength, but only on the back of my throat, which is a little weird.

Good IIPA, but I enjoyed the Green Flash IPA more than this one.

12-18-2008 02:36:31 | More by maximum12
twiggamortis420

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a lazy, hazy medium-dark golden color. Nice foamy, large bubbled head. Nice retention and lacing.

Of course, the citrusy west coast hoppiness is the most prevalent scent, but I am really surprised at how well the malty backbone of this beer stands out. Hops seem to smell mostly citrusy and grassy.

Flavors are more hoppy than in the nose. I get more of the grassy hops in the taste, but there is still plenty of tangy grapefruit flavors here. Seems to have a different hoppy flavor than the WCIPA, but nonetheless tasty in it's own right. I taste hints of honey, green grapes and warming alcohol. A good beer. Period. Will buy again, and urge all hopheads out there to try it.

12-15-2008 05:52:18 | More by twiggamortis420
Vendetta

3.23/5  rDev -21%

Original Rating Date:
September 6, 2008

Smells pleasantly fruity and citric to balance out the hop assault on my nostrils. Pours a bit paler than some 2IPAs, with a big, beautiful frothy head and one of the longest lasting, soapiest lacings I've ever seen for an India pale ale. This beer looks excellent. Flavor is a bit citric in order to combat the excessive hop bitterness, but still doesn't feel as balanced as the better 2IPAs I've had such as DFH90 or Lagunitas Maximus. Definitely worth trying but the best part about this beer is the look about it.

12-14-2008 18:01:33 | More by Vendetta
magictrokini

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

I really liked this one. Good representative of the west coast IIPA. I agree with DA, the hops in this beer taste fresh and clean, giving it a different character than most IIPA's. Powerful taste, but not an overly bitter bite. Has hints of sweetness, like a pink grapefruit. Good balance and smooth taste throughout. Finish is resiny but not sticky. Very nice.

12-09-2008 00:04:46 | More by magictrokini
bbothen

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a light orange/honey color with a thick, bubbly, frothy 2 finger deep white head.

Smells of fresh squeezed pungent hops, pine, citrus, spruce, trees, tropical fruit. Take me to your leader please. ASAP.

Huge hop blast, citrus, grapefruit, lemon/lime zest, pine needles, tropical notes, pineapple, mango, also has a sweet bisquity presence. But the hops are the king here. Yowza.

Sticky, oily, full, moderate carbonation, creamy. Good times here.

This is quite drinkable for a big ass 9% hop bomb. A heck of a bargain as well.

If you're looking for a hop bomb, that's nicely balanced, seek this one out. One of my go to IIPAs. Yep.

12-04-2008 01:21:58 | More by bbothen
Metalmonk

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Opened it, and with the bottle a foot-and-a-half from my nose I could smell hops before even pouring. Wowza.

Released the genie from the bottle and got a mildly hazed sunset orange color with a finger-thick head. Webbed waves of lace stick to the sides. Par for the course and right to style.

Both piney and citrus-rind hops come through full force in the aroma. Super well-balanced, and not too sweet/candy-like in the nose, just pure green hop cone all the way (kind of cannabis-ish, dontcha know). A little bit of cookie dough comes in, which keeps things balanced. Almost smells wet-hopped, it's so pure and fresh-smelling. Perfection, or close enough to it.

Flavor is a spicier, more balanced thing than I would've guessed from the smell, and that's just fine. Especially when it's this flavorful. The hops are resiny and not quite as bright as in the aroma. Malt takes on a spiciness that conveys both mint and cinnamon, and with the slick, buttery, creamy, full-bodied texture, everything works toward the greater good without spiking out one way or another. Toasted bread in the finish, with some more citrus. Not crazy-thick, like some in the style, which only increases its drinkability.

Balanced and complex, yet with oodles of hops to please even the most demanding hop-head. This is seriously good. In my book, Green Flash is now up there with Bell's, Hair of the Dog and Stone in terms of delivering big flavor consistently, no matter what style they tackle. Hail.

12-02-2008 23:27:01 | More by Metalmonk
Kadonny

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a snifter glass.

A: A wonderful slightly hazy lighter amber orangy color. Minimal off white head with minimal glass lacing.

S: This is where there is a hint of how good this beer is. I've had a TON of DIPAs, but this one smelled like no other. Amazing. Scents of sweet fruit and malt with pine, citrus and grapefruit and alcohol. Wow, each time I smell it I get something else. My buddy sitting next to me said it looked like I was making love to the glass with my nose.

T: Was I let down after that smell? No freaking way. As much hop punch as this beer carries, can you believe the first flavor to hit you is sweetness? Well it is. Sweet bready biscuity malt with some sweet fruits. The middle is where the massive hops flavors hit with citrus, grapefruit, pine, lemon and some fresh cut grass. Amazing. Finish is hops lingering and the sweet malt lying underneath the bitterness. Wow, just wow.

M: Full coating mouthfeel with a decent presence of alchohol that is very nice and warming. Nice bitterness lingering.

D: For this huge 9% abv monster? Awesome. I so enjoyed my glass I wanted another. Just so drikable.

Overall this beer ranks up there with the best DIPAs I have ever had. Amazing. Green Flash is kicking ass and I couldn't be happier. This is one very different but very awesome beer. Buy it, drink it and enjoy. Dear Santa: Bring me some Green Flash IIPA please...Thanks!

11-28-2008 13:39:05 | More by Kadonny
brochoice

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Strange for a DIPA. Unique!

Beautiful pale orange color, subtle yellow tone.
Strong quarter inch thick head but dissipates quickly

Overwhelming citrus hop smell plus thick and chewy sourdough bread. Malty backbone, but very subtle. Nose sets up for a unique brew.

Grapefruit dominates the taste. Pungent fruity taste, very tart. Earthy and herbal, bitter and oily. Hop character commands the palate, malts are barely detectable. Off balance, but hops should be the star in a DIPA.

Medium bodied. Hardly any carbonation bite, not flat per say, just not sharp. What you would expect from a DIPA.

Pretty strong in the alcohol dept. Goes real well with spicy food. I might have this again. Not what I was expecting from a west coast IPA. Comparing it to Stone's Ruination; they are world's apart. Both good. This one might grow on me...

11-26-2008 06:42:11 | More by brochoice
jdg204

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

A nice find at a cool little Bottle Shop in State College, PA. Pretty excited for my first Green Flash, after hearing so many good reviews.

A: Hazy orange color with a thick three finger head that lasts quite a while. The head settles to a thick surface foam that remained.

S: Pine and grapefruits fill the air though there's a strong alchol odor as well.

T: Decent malt profile, loads of pine, and HOPS!!!. Not the best balanced double IPA.

M: Medium-heavy in body. Very long, dry aftertaste as the bitterness and citrus glues to the tongue.

D: This was a serious brew and not bad, but I've had better DIPA's. Again, the lack of balance dropped this one, if the malt could've been more prominent, it might've been better. Decent start for Green Flash, I'll definetly try more of their higher rated brews. Try this if you're crazy for HOPS, else don't go out of your way.

11-26-2008 03:34:50 | More by jdg204
mnstorm99

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Very nice clear copper pour, with a small white head that sticks around pretty well.
Aroma is fantastic, great orange citrus hops nail the nose, and that is where it stays for the most part with just a hint of malts.
Taste is hops, and base malts, not much sweetness going on here. But that hop flavor is one of my favorites, orange (Summit? Amarillo?) hops.
Mouthfeel is pretty thin, and this one is pretty dry, I love this beer but the dryness burns my palate a little too much so not much more than the bomber for me.

11-25-2008 16:20:48 | More by mnstorm99
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz bottle. I grabbed this bomber during a recent trip to Austin, Texas. 5 bucks. I'll never get over that aspect of shopping for beer in the lower 48 - killer selection, AND very reasonable prices...but I digress.

This beer pours a glassy, pale copper-amber colour, with two fat fingers of puffy, frothy, and playfully bubbly off-white head, which takes a while to drop away, leaving some lovely honeycombed lacing scattered around the glass.

It smells quite strong, with fresh pine needles and squeezed grapefruit rind hop essences dominating, and a touch of onion astringency - it's still all very outdoors-y, until the relatively tame bready, sort of meaty caramel malt comes a' calling. The flavour kicks off with a wallop of bitter resinous pine hops, so much so, that I could feel my cheeks constricting. After a few more sips, and my palate duly re-adjusted, I could enjoy a more citrus-oriented hop bite, with more onion and cooked garlic spicy notes, and a perky enough grainy, lightly caramelized malt backbone trying gamely to assert itself. No real sign of the near 19-proof booze at this point.

The carbonation is fairly mellow, the body a sturdy medium weight, and actually smooth, if you sort of ignore all those swirling hops mucking about. It finishes off-dry, the malt not ready to cede all just yet, and the hops still resplendent in coniferous tree, citrus fruit, and the start of any good pasta dish's vegetal character. There is only a minor warming from the big ABV, no real heat, which is welcome in any beer, and especially one like this.

At first, this seems to be a highly unbalanced beer, but it morphs (while continuing to batter your tastebuds) into something much more drinkable, provided you're a fan of the hops, of course. An eye-opener, not for the faint of heart, but it does evolve into an agreeable example of the style, or 'sub-style', as the label proclaims. Makes for a very tasty and effective kickstart to my heart before heading off to the Taboo Sex Show - giddee up!

(You must have been 18+ to have been allowed to read this review)

11-23-2008 02:41:24 | More by biboergosum
paco1029384756

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with an orange tint and two finger of white head.

Scent of huge piny hops, grapefruit, grain and citrus. Powerful stuff, with an ass kicking amount of hops and enough and enough citrus and sweetness to keep it in line somewhat, just a damn good scent. Probably a bit too strong, but as a hop head, I love it.

Taste of massive piny hops, caramel, grapefruit, and a hint of alcohol. Finishes with grain and more hops. Reminds me of Founders Harvest Ale, but not as bitter up front. Caramel and sugars cut down the bitterness, and the presence of alcohol keeps this one from being great.

Mouthfeel is smooth and biting.

11-22-2008 03:11:04 | More by paco1029384756
Odubs

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Poured at a very respected beer bar, The Moan and Dove, in Western Mass. One finger large bubble foamy head that sits atop a reddish orange body color. Both a friend and I had it simultaneously, and his laced in parallel lines that tapered off as it went towards the bottom of the glass. A sight to behold.

S - I think we are all adult enough to say it - this beer reeks of a certain type of herb. It is at once staunch and powerful, intensely fruity and flowery. It is pungent, to be sure. Some citrus ethers that belie the alcohol content.

T - Big citrus fruits. Grapefruit is most pronounced with its bitterness, and even though I found the taste a bit two dimensional, it tastes very, very good in those dimensions. My friend also mentioned a ginseng-like taste that lingered at the back of the throat. I marveled at the dry hopping, just crisp and flowery.

M - Dry and punchy. A hop bitterness that hits you up front, right at first, then cascades in the mouth down the throat. It is a very clean beer, and by that I mean I found it crisp and well balanced through the initial perception to the after taste.

D - I don't think I would want too many. Even one was enough. It is just a huge hop beer, straight up, so much punch and clarity, but at 9% it is a little bit too much to kick back on. I really appreciated it for it's straightforward commitment to what it is, but it is a beer to marvel at once in a night; have your friends take a sip to experience it, finish the rest, and move on to something else. You will surely remember it in the morning.

11-20-2008 07:28:57 | More by Odubs
ksullnh

Alaska

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

from notes - tasted 5.11.08 in an oversized wine glass

A distinctly orange cloudy beer with a light oily head with a little bit of lacing left over on the glass.

Wet grass and orange blossom smells rose from the glass and faded into a faint alcohol scent with some tangerine-y sweetness in the malt. Mouthwatering.

Hoppy orange and citrus tastes prevailed initially, lending a balanced taste that wasn't too bitter. Though it tasted less balanced as it warmed, it still made for a refreshing aperitif. Some late musty tastes.

Mouthfeel was crisp and drying, but seemed thin for the appearance and smell.

Overall, a very appetizing brew that didn't hit me over the head with hops like some DIPAs. I could definitely have some more.

11-18-2008 20:36:26 | More by ksullnh
RodBurg

Missouri

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

Had on tap at Newport Pizza in Ocean Beach. Golden orange in color with a wafty head and webby lacing. Not exactly cloudy but by no means would I call it filtered.

Amazing hop aromas pouring off this one. Juicy grapefruit, evergreen, pineapple, mint, tropical flowers. Mouthwatering.

Crazy hop tastes as well. Oily pine and grapefruit hit the palate. Great bitterness with spearmint and lemon notes. Considering the alcohol content here, I'm surprised its not thicker in body. Caramel notes from the malt are in there but very well hidden in the background.

Incredibly drinkable. Awesome hop bomb that went very well with the pizza I ordered. Be sure and drink this one fresh!

11-14-2008 18:43:15 | More by RodBurg
enso

Vermont

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured in a large snifter from 22 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Immense dense foamy meringue head with longevity. An apricot golden semi haze. Semi opaque.
Spotty and sticky lacing constellates on the glass.

Aroma: Evergreen. Sticky sweet and warming. Herbaceous dankness.

Flavor: Tastes of fresh bread with toasty caramelized crust. Resiny herbaceous and grassy. Caraway. Lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body coats the mouth. Cleansing carbonation. Soapy.

Overall impression: Nicely balanced Imperial IPA with unique flavors and aromas. Definitely feel the gravity. A refreshing bracer after a hard day working in the yard.

11-10-2008 02:42:55 | More by enso
harkjohnny

2.88/5  rDev -29.6%

Shared a 22oz with 3 friends and have to say I'm glad I did. I could not have finished this beer by myself. Maybe it's that I'm a FORMER hophead who has since found myself preferring malt and yeast as the more prevalant flavors in my beer but this was just outrageous. And not necessarily in a good way.

Appearance is a bit light colored for what I expected but not off with lasting head, though virtually no lacing.

Aroma just smacks the insides of the nose with scents of earthy pine and one of my buddies suggested the smell of a certain herbal substance that won't be named. The smell is certainly not citrus as many here suggest.

The flavor has virturally no malt to be found but just biting bitterness and hop flavors that run from pine straight to licking wood. Guess that's what they mean by a "san diego IPA" on the bottle.

For me, drinkability is somewhat poor even considering that this is a sipping beer @ 9%. As mentioned before I could not have finished this beer alone. Sorry GF, this one really didn't do it for me. Guess I'll go back to the East coast next time I want a double IPA.

11-09-2008 02:59:22 | More by harkjohnny
FACEMEAT

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 1pt. 6 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Bright golden orange with a finger of dense off white head that leaves a small ammount of delicate lacing.

S: Upon first pour, floral hop and citrus aromas, as beer warms, caramel and yeasty bread smells become more apparent.

T: As with the smell, the sharp citrus and hop tastes take center stage when the beer is cold. As it warms, the bready, caramel and yeast flavors come through with a pleasant piney alcohol finish.

M: medium

D: With such a high alcohol content, it's tough to resist over-drinking.

11-07-2008 23:31:37 | More by FACEMEAT
JerzDevl2000

Picked this up recently to get a break from all the darker and spicier beers that I've had in recent weeks. I love West Coast IPA's and the hops that are found in them, and this beer proved to be no exception to that. This was a bit different than I first thought it would be, but I have no regrets in giving this a shot!

This had a nice apricot-like hue to it and a head that just refused to go away. The lacing may have been the best I've seen in a long time, since it just dried on the edge of my glass as I worked my way down. The mouthfeel was that of the aforementioned west coast hops, tangerine and citrus, and some barleywine-like alcohol to top it off. This was quietly sharp but didn't hit me over the head like I imagined. Instead, this snuck up on me and the only time I tasted anything resembling other west coast IPA's was in the aftertaste. There, the flavors faded and all that was left was the subtle hint of a dry-hoppiness. It was a nice touch!

The 9.0% ABV is easily felt here but I didn't think that it detracted from the beer or its taste. Instead, it enhanced a very light and strong flavor. It may sound like that those two adjectives aren't compatible, but give this shot. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised like I was!

11-06-2008 04:59:32 | More by JerzDevl2000
brewdlyhooked13

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance - it has a pleasant sunny orange/yellow cast, a fluffy two fingers of foam that melts to a clumpy cover, leaving trees of lace around the glass.

Aroma - a rush of grapefruit juice. Evolves to a fresh pine as it sets up. Very nice.

Taste - chewy, malty, biscuity at the front. Copious amounts of hop bitterness on the swallow, starting with a vacant bitterness, then showing grapefruit rind and bits of orange before the sharp bitterness ensues. It gets a little medicinal just before showing off a surprising background roastiness on the finish. Ends with much bitterness of course, but also with a hint of roasted coffee as well.

Mouthfeel - thick, smooth, well-carbonated. Right on.

Drinkability - the medicinal taste I could do without, but this beer has lots to enjoy, especially during these hop-challenged times. Thanks to BGThang for sending me a bomber of this. He da' man...

11-04-2008 05:05:57 | More by brewdlyhooked13
calise1122

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured on tap at Lazy Boy Saloon in White Plains, NY.

A: Pours a dark, burnt orange brown. Very cloudy with a nice off-white head with good lacing

S: Tangerine, Orange, Cereal/Grains, lots of hop and I think I am getting a little bit of caramel

T: Very bitter... Where I smelled tangerine I am tasting lemon and pine. Again, some caramel peaks through as the time passes and the pint regresses to room temp. I am not sure which hops are used, but it has more earth driven flavors than a lot of DIPA's I have had.

M: Medium to full bodied, good mouthfeel... alcohol is very present

D: I could use a little more balance, but the pint was poured extremely cold and with each sip some of the caramel notes started to come through.

11-01-2008 21:55:33 | More by calise1122
TonyT

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

22oz bomber poured into pint glass

Poured hazy/dark gold with 2 finger head. Very opaque and cannot see through. Smell was floral, with touch of grapefruit, a little spice, and malts poking through with sweet hops hitting you very well.

Let's taste this: Hops piercing through with grace and clarity. The malty backbone is complemented by the slight woody/spiciness that comes through. A noticeable alcohol burn finishes out the sip. Mouthfeel is very silky in the front with malty slickness throughout. Has a very wet character to it. Slight dryness remains in the front.

The shear taste of this fine beverage screams..."More, more more"...The 9.00Abv might bring you back a bit...but if you're not driving...keep going.

Green Flash has character and has not disappointed me yet...Excellent Thank you GF Brewery...one of these days I'll make it out to Calli.

11-01-2008 01:52:19 | More by TonyT
smcolw

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Moderate level head, but it recedes slowly in a lumpy way. Slight haze on the orange-gold liquid.

Strong grapefruit-like hop aroma; there's an interesting aroma that reminds me of beef stew--rather odd.

Extra bitter, too much so--this is extreme. Good body. The beef stew shows up in the background.

If your idea of a good beer is sucking a hop pellet then this is one for you. I'm a hop head, but I prefer a little balance.

10-31-2008 00:50:11 | More by smcolw
Neilio

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

One of my new favorite IPAs

A: Dark amber color with about a three finger head

S: very floral, very much like some very potent pot

T: Very hoppy, a few of my other beer geek buddies didn't like because they thought it was overly bitter. I thought it the robust hoppiness was excellent

M: Decent acidity with lots of bubbles

D: I could drink this all day

10-30-2008 23:53:19 | More by Neilio
ncbeermonger

4.58/5  rDev +12%

poured into my trusty sam adams beer glass

there is a decent amount of head, the beer is anything but see through, somewhat cloudy.

the beer is a cloudy amber, somewhat pale with hints of orange.

the smell is very pleasant, the summit hops come through right off the bat, there are hints of citrus.

the taste is outstanding, I am now a fan of this west coast brewery. Somewhat spicy, and finishes with a citrus flavor. The alcohol is by no means over powering, and the pine is a pleasant taste to leave your lips curled in a smile!

The mouthfeel is good crisp and clean, I love it

this is a very drinkable imperial IPA, so much so that I forgot is is an imperial IPA! I love this beer, it is an outstanding choice!

Count the NCBEERMONGER as a huge fan of this imperial IPA

10-28-2008 22:31:14 | More by ncbeermonger
Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.