Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, label has IBUs and ABV, but no date.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden orange color, nice head that fades slowly, just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Sticky hop aroma - smells a bit sweet and some resinous pine aroma.

Taste: Quite a bit of hop flavor, not overly bitter. Quite a bit of malt sweetness in there.

Overall impression: Typical American DIPA, but good flavors and plenty drinkable - this is a nice example of the style (as you would expect from San Diego).

rowew, Apr 22, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance: Poured a slightly cloudy orange/brown amber. Less than one finger white head, which doesn’t stick around very long. Diminishes to a nice mottle bubble coating. Visible bubbles on glass when poured, which some good visible carbonation. Some lacing, but nothing spectactular.

Smell: A strong nose of fresh hops, big but not overpowering. The hops are sweet, fruity, and candy like. Citrus and pine are also present.

Taste: First impression is that it is a little too strong, making it slightly harsh. The alcohol (9%) and bitter hops hit first; definitely a pucker moment. The hops taste a bit darker and not as appealing as the smell, but still alright. Sweet, like an IPA should be, but not overly so. There’s a slight off taste after the hops with some malt to balance the beer, but only slightly. Raisin taste that lingers for awhile.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied beer, with a big alcohol bite. The beer itself is smooth, but the alcohol works its way back and tickles the throat fast and early.

Drinkability: A beer that had incredible promise, but just ended up being way too much. It looks and smells wonderful, but the taste leaves much to be desired. The alcohol isn’t hidden at all, making it tough to do anything but sip. I'll have to try this again sometime, but right now its not for me.

jonziefle, Apr 22, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

poured from a bomber into a 20oz pint glass. pours a cloudy golden/orange color with a thin white head. aroma is hoppy with citrus and pine. taste is crisp and refreshing with hop and grapefruit present. has a slight bitter aftertaste, but this beer is drinkable, and could drink all night long.

beernut, Apr 19, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

A- yellow copper hue i always like my beers to be a bit more cloudy white head and white lacing around the glass

S- not so much defiantly hops but not really any pine or citrus to it which i always like IPA and DIPAs to have

T- this is were the beer really shines.... explosion of hops on the palate not to complex but but very tasty in that if u like hops and lots of them this is your beer

M- great not to heavy and not to light gear for this style

D- also great not boozy at all goes down real smooth i could have a few of these

SpruceFish, Apr 18, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was just as i expected it to be, extremely hoppy with a great malt backing to balance the taste and leave with a great aftertaste. The alcohol level was well hidden with the west coast hoppy goodness packed in. I really enjoyed this beer and hope to have it again soon. Once again, a great beer produced by Green Flash brewers!

HopHedz, Apr 17, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer was in my closet for 6 months before I opened it. Might not have been the way it was meant to be drank, but still an impressive beer. Read my review with that in mind.

Nice golden orange appearance, deliciously sweet smell, taste is less hop flavored than expected, but it's still a delicious beer. The smell is malty and the taste has an extremely even balance between malt and hops with a nice sharp hops bite at the end. I taste caramel as well as that citric finish. It is fairly drinkable, but does have a nice alcohol burn to it. I don'tlike this as much as their barley wine, but I hope to drink it again.

In direct comparison to a no more than 2 month old hopslam, this beer has no hops flavor. Tastes more like a Belgian IPA at this point as opposed to an American. I've yet to drink a fresh bottle of this, but after reading some other reviews, I'm confident aging this one has a significant effect.

bheilman, Apr 15, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Green Flash is one of those Breweries that will absolutely knock your socks off and it's apparent the first time you have one of their beers. I'm still on the look-out for Le Freak.

Poured into a Duvel glass with a half inch head that remained for about 30 minutes. The look is beautiful. This IPA really have a radiant glow about it. It's not clear (which to me is a great sign) and the head is rough and billowy.

The smell is a little grainy with hop oil but is quite unrefined for my nostils. I can dig the wheat-like aroma (not used to that in an IPA but it's cool). The hops are resiny and full of kick!

The taste is big. I love the passion in the flavor here. The flavors seem to build until your tongue almost puckers like you're drinking a heavy hitting sour (only replace sour with Hopbomb).

The mouthfeel is pefect for the DIPA style. I like the viscous hop oil resins. I love the pefect carbonation and the alcohol roundness is right in line.

Drinkability is off the charts for the strength. I drank half the bottle before I realized the hold it had on me. Suddenly I loved everything around me and couldn't figure out why - then I realized I had 9% of goodness going down the gullet!

Overall this brew is tasty to the last drop and I won't hesitate to buy 2 more the next time I see it.

PerzentRizen, Apr 10, 2009

Great golden appearance slightly cloudy but overall looked very nice.

The smell was citrus and hops nice and inviting despite the alcohol content couldnt pick it up in the smell. also picked up a few floral notes on the second pass

The taste was good dry hoppy bitterness. Followed by a few fruit tastes maybe grapefruit. The hops were a bit overwhelming but had a good balance

The mouthfell was smooth and had a bit of carbonation but very nice and drinkable also.

I would definately recommend this to anyone who is a fan of IPA's plan on getting this one again because of the great balance and mouthfeel

BringusKilkenney, Apr 05, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Poured as a deep hazy burnt orange with a firm 1-2 finger head. Excellent lacing along the sides of the glass throughout the tasting.
S: A strong smell of pine and citrus hops dominated the aroma.
T: A very tasty brew. The taste matched the nose - pine and citrus hops initially dominated. I got a strong sensation of grapefruit and orange zest. The malt was faintly hidden in the background. The pine kicked in at the finish.
M: A medium mouthfeel with decent carbonation.
D: Very drinkable. One of my favorite IIPAs.

spratmi, Apr 04, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into a tulip. Great thick two-finger head lingers for a bit before it pulls back and leaves a wonderful lacing on the glass. Appears a darker orange, with no real opacity whatsoever. In fact, compared to a couple other IPAs I've had, this is very very clear.

Smell is definitely the first thing I notice about this brew. Probably the most fragrant IPA, or IIPA for that matter, I've had; strong hints of pine and hops dominate the bouquet, so much so that after five minutes of sitting on my table, my entire room now smells of wilderness. Excellent.

While it smells of fresh hops, citrus notes are first and foremost on the palate, with the hops only present on the finish. Very balanced for an IIPA; there's a hint of alcohol taste, but it blends well with the citrus. Only other IIPA I've had that is as balanced and yet has such depth is HopSlam.

Mouthfeel is great, with a relatively light carbonation that doesn't stampede over the taste. Overall this feels like a very light beer that shouldn't be hard on the stomach, even if it is 101 IBU's.

Drinkability is definitely there; it really does its best to try to edge out HopSlam in this category. Even after one bomber my tastebuds aren't completely dead; on the contrary, they keep on telling me they want more!

Ultimately, this is quickly becoming my favorite IIPA. Third time I'm having Green Flash IIPA, and it hasn't disappointed me yet. No other IIPA I've had has a bouquet that's so fresh and inviting. The IBU's don't seem noticeable at all, and this is THE beer that I'm thankful comes in bombers and not sixers; I can easily see myself downing three or four of these before I realize I'm out for the count.

ahpark, Apr 01, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Beer poured into a Paulaner Wesbier glass. A clean white 2 finger head forms and holds nicely for more than a few sips. Beer is a translucent golden yellow color. Smell is pure hops with some citrus. If you like hops, you'll love the smell of this one. Taste is excellent; surprisingly, malts come through up-front and then the primary taste is well balanced off with the hops. The finish is hops as you would expect, but you can still taste the malts. Beer is light on the palate and the ample carbonation helps the beer dance across the toungue. I enjoyed this beer tremendously.

Nick3, Apr 01, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1%

Decanted into a standard pint glass at fridge temps.

The pour produces a clover honey colored brew, with a nice sized head .. especially for an IIPA. Big splashes of lacing around the glass make for a great first impression. Beautiful in the glass.

The nose is citrus heaven. The Summit hops are huge citrus producers, and this is no exception. The entire range is there, from grapefruit to orange rind, to tangerine. Tough to pick up on any malts through the hop onslaught.

Taste follows the nose. The hop bill in this IIPA is Summit and Nugget; a very happy marriage I must say. Wonderful citrus (grapefruit is the first thing that you taste) notes, with the Nuggets adding a touch of earthy floral notes. I'm sure they used a ton of malts to balance this big boy, but they are fighting awfully hard to make their presence known, as is the 9% abv. No alcohol burn at all, but I'm sure I'll feel it after I kill this bomber! Definitely a West Coast DIPA kind of beer, which is a good thing. Mouthfeel is medium-full, which I like. Ahh, there come the malts (on about the 10th sip), and they are managed easily by the hops and nice carbonation. This isn't cloying, but after the beer warms up a bit, you will notice the malt bill. Nicely balance (towards the hop side, obviously) for a respectably sized IIPA. As for drinkability, its very drinkable all right. But I'm afraid I'd probably pass out by the time I killed two bombers of this stuff, so let's just say it's very drinkable, but not in 'session brew' quantities.

I've been drinking a lot of Hop Wallop lately (I have a case of it) and this is as good or better; which is saying a lot, because I obviously think highly of Victory's Hop Wallop. I love the Summit "smack you upside the head with a grapefruit" nose and flavor.

I'll be buying more of this .. definitely! You should check it out if you're any kind of hophead, or just appreciate a good IIPA!

Na Zdravje!

cooncat, Mar 29, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks goes out to alexd3891 for this awesome extra! Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with a small off-white head that left some surprisingly nice lacing for such a high ABV. Aroma is piney with hints of orange-like citrus. There is also a huge peppery and herbal like spiciness to the nose which is quite different but nice. Taste is nice and bitter, plenty of grapefruit and pine resin, a solid cracker-like malt backbone, and again with peppery spiciness and herbal notes that were in the aroma. Sweet at first, dry and puckering on the finish. Medium body, good carbonation. This is a very tasty beer, different than many DIPAs I've come across.

KeefD, Mar 29, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Orange/gold and very hazy. Has a good, thick head and some really phenomenal lacing.

Smell: This one showcases the pine characteristics of the hops moreso than the grassiness or citrus flavors. Has a skunky grassy flavor going on as well (but not like a skunked beer at all) and the 9% ABV is nowhere to be found.

Taste: Very hoppy, again with the pine characteristics dominating. The malt is detectable and manages to hold up to the intense hops flavor. The hops bitterness lingers quite a while in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Slightly less thick and sticky than I'd like for a DIPA. It has a good, moderate level of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is very drinkable for a beer with such a high ABV but it was difficult to finish an entire bomber without wanting to switch back and forth with something with less hops intensity as I usually do when drinking 100+ IBU DIPA's.

iamntbatman, Mar 25, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

Reviewed 9/25/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear honey-red colored body, with a frothy white head, good lacing and lasting. Has a grapefruity, bitter aroma. A hoppy bitter taste, real bitter, and dry. Like sticking your face in horsefeed. Rougher as it warms up.

jujubeast6000, Mar 25, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Sierra Nevada glass. No date. The body was bright golden amber. The tall head was off-white and irregular. It left sheets of lace in the glass.

Smell was earthy and a little dirty/funky. Fresh hops.

Taste was oranges. Some alcohol is evident. Not super-bitter (that would have been ok). Very drinkable.

Mouthfeel was medium in body with a alcohol, zippy carbonation.

Cresant, Mar 23, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1%

22oz Bomber

This big ol' fat IIPA comes courtesy of jraycee as an extra in a recent trade, thanks Justin! Green Flash's IIPA sports a glowing orange body with enough haze to keep me from seeing through the body. The head peaked out at two fingers but fell fairly quickly to a thin cap. Surprisingly enough that thin cap left behind some nice super glue sticky lacing. A quick swirl brings the head back but it dies down just as quick to that thin cap.

This, right here, is an IIPA that absolutely drips hoppiness. Let me start out by saying there's a sugary sweet candy-like background that's prominent but that's quickly surpassed by the heavy handed hopping. Grapefruit pith, pine sap, and resin are all present and all in big doses. The resin rules the roost but the grapefruit starts things off. There's even some of that aspirin bitterness after this sits in the glass for a few minutes and some nose tingling booze heat pops in on deep pulls.

A few sips into this IIPA and I still don't know what to make of it. I like it but it's a tough one to dissect up to this point. The maltiness adds some candy like sweetness that makes the citric hoppiness taste like candied grapefruit peel. The maltiness is hard to put my finger but reminds me of a sweet fruit juice of sorts. The hops are still huge but the maltiness catches up in the flavor. Pine and resin take center stage but the pine actually steps ahead on the tongue. This is a good IIPA but I'm still having trouble putting my finger on things.

The mouthfeel of this IIPA is how all IIPAs should be. The body is fairly dense but shows a great velvety roll along the tongue. There's no sign of stickiness at all and that's something I can stand behind. The bitterness grows quickly after the first few sips but doesn't rise but a couple notches above moderate.

The lack of stick in the mouthfeel and overall enjoyable flavors make this an easy one to put away, so easy in fact I could see it becoming a problem in the alcohol department.

I'm not really sure why I've never searched out this beer before but I'm glad I got the chance to try it. It's a damn fine IIPA that I'd like to see on the shelves around these parts. Thanks for the bottle and another great trade Justin!

joe1510, Mar 21, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Golden, slight greenish tinge. Big, fluffy beige head, great lacing.
Smell: Pine needles, grapefruit
Taste: Marijuana, ruby red grapefruit bitterness. Big malty sweetness rounds it out nicely.
Mouthfeel: Full bodied, slick. Big carbonation.
Drinkability: Not a trace of alcohol. Would be a little better with a dryer finish.
Verdict: Drink it fresh, drink it often.

maskednegator, Mar 20, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottle was bought at the awesome Common Market in Charlotte NC.
Pours a very clean amber, orange color in the body and a very thick white head.
Nose is full of hops, mild hops at that. The hop level could be a little higher for "Imperial IPA" but it is much more prominent than your normal hoppy IPA. Not much malt on the nose and a little alcohol. Hop smell is mostly piney and grassy with little grapefruit notes.
Taste is smooth and begins like an overly bitter hop profile but finishes very even, probably due to the higher alcohol content. A little tart grapefruit plus pine finish.
Pretty drinkable for an Imperial beer and an enjoyable one at that. Not much different from any respectable IIPA but good nontheless.

chaz410, Mar 20, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

this is a typical californian imperial IPA. pours that deep straw/gold with a moderate head and some lcae, but not much. smells strongly of hops. tastes of hops and has an almost airy quality to it. this is a solid example of what this beer should taste like.

radshoesbro, Mar 19, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance - Honey colored with an orange tint. Head is thick, supple, and grappels well to the side of the glass. It leaves one of the best rings i've seen in awhile. It's unbelieveable how thick the lacing is, as gobs of it just coat the glass.

Smell - Certainly smells like a San Diego IPA! Huge hop bill with a grapefruit, and lemon orange tang. Nice and bitter, but not as overpowering as i'd like it.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Nice smooth easy drinking west coast ipa easily sums this one up. Lots of hops and a little citrus, balanced out by a sweet cararmel malt that ever so faintly works it's way in. Has a crisp taste followed by a smooth finish.

Drinkability - What a good ipa this is. Easily drinkable and exactly what you would expect from a San Diego brewed Double ipa. Solid in so many areas, just not great enough to be considered elite. There is nothing wrong with that, as I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

ryrust5301, Mar 19, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Oh boy another west coast IPA!

Poured a nice deep copper color. A nice foamy white head that left heavy lacing on the edges.

The nose is piney and citrusy. It has a slight breadiness but mostly just the pine and citrus hop notes.

The taste is a little sweet and citrusy at first and then bitter and piney. The bready maltness makes a slight appearence before the hop bitterness takes back over. The mouthfeel is slick with medium carbonation.

Overall this is about as solid of an Imperial IPA as you can get. If you have the means i suggest giving it a go. This one will not disappoint you.

ShrLSU, Mar 19, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

22oz bottle

Pours a transparent amber orange color with lots of carbonation supporting a medium sized rocky white head that leaves lots of sticking. Peaches, apricot, pineapple and subtle citrus fruit in the nose, fresh and grassy almost in character. The aroma is balanced with a strong underlying malty sweetness. Big hop flavor, fruit flesh, this is the juiciest DIPA ive come across. The herbal, cannabis like hop character really stays with you long after the sip. Just enough alcohol presence to keep things interesting, just drying enough to let the beauty of the hop really shine. Wonderful medium body, low/moderate carbonation feel, and IMO, very quaffable. Hop heads, have at it.

ATPete, Mar 18, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bottle pours a light burnt orange with 2 fingers of frothy cream head which leaves lots of luxurious sticky lacing down the side. Gorgeous.

Smells is bold grapefruit, pine and citrus hops, everything else is either not there or hiding behind the big hops.

Taste is led proudly by the massive hops: lots of grapefruit, lemons, pine. Hiding in the back is the hint of the caramel malts and as it warms they make their way forward a bit more, but make no mistake - this is a hops dominated beer! Hints of alcohol in there as well. Dry mouthfeel, lots of carbonation and yet a hint of creaminess as it goes down.

Wow. This is a serious IPA that, while dominated by the hops, is tasty and extremely drinkable. This is what DIPA's is all about.

ritzkiss, Mar 09, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

The aroma is very citrusy and piny with caramel malt and bread. The appearance is golden amber with a large head for the style. The flavor is like the aroma, simple but good. The palate is smooth. Overall it's very good and I look forward to another one.

nick76, Mar 06, 2009
Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.