Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev -29.6%

Shared a 22oz with 3 friends and have to say I'm glad I did. I could not have finished this beer by myself. Maybe it's that I'm a FORMER hophead who has since found myself preferring malt and yeast as the more prevalant flavors in my beer but this was just outrageous. And not necessarily in a good way.

Appearance is a bit light colored for what I expected but not off with lasting head, though virtually no lacing.

Aroma just smacks the insides of the nose with scents of earthy pine and one of my buddies suggested the smell of a certain herbal substance that won't be named. The smell is certainly not citrus as many here suggest.

The flavor has virturally no malt to be found but just biting bitterness and hop flavors that run from pine straight to licking wood. Guess that's what they mean by a "san diego IPA" on the bottle.

For me, drinkability is somewhat poor even considering that this is a sipping beer @ 9%. As mentioned before I could not have finished this beer alone. Sorry GF, this one really didn't do it for me. Guess I'll go back to the East coast next time I want a double IPA.

harkjohnny, Nov 09, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 1pt. 6 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Bright golden orange with a finger of dense off white head that leaves a small ammount of delicate lacing.

S: Upon first pour, floral hop and citrus aromas, as beer warms, caramel and yeasty bread smells become more apparent.

T: As with the smell, the sharp citrus and hop tastes take center stage when the beer is cold. As it warms, the bready, caramel and yeast flavors come through with a pleasant piney alcohol finish.

M: medium

D: With such a high alcohol content, it's tough to resist over-drinking.

FACEMEAT, Nov 07, 2008

Picked this up recently to get a break from all the darker and spicier beers that I've had in recent weeks. I love West Coast IPA's and the hops that are found in them, and this beer proved to be no exception to that. This was a bit different than I first thought it would be, but I have no regrets in giving this a shot!

This had a nice apricot-like hue to it and a head that just refused to go away. The lacing may have been the best I've seen in a long time, since it just dried on the edge of my glass as I worked my way down. The mouthfeel was that of the aforementioned west coast hops, tangerine and citrus, and some barleywine-like alcohol to top it off. This was quietly sharp but didn't hit me over the head like I imagined. Instead, this snuck up on me and the only time I tasted anything resembling other west coast IPA's was in the aftertaste. There, the flavors faded and all that was left was the subtle hint of a dry-hoppiness. It was a nice touch!

The 9.0% ABV is easily felt here but I didn't think that it detracted from the beer or its taste. Instead, it enhanced a very light and strong flavor. It may sound like that those two adjectives aren't compatible, but give this shot. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised like I was!

JerzDevl2000, Nov 06, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance - it has a pleasant sunny orange/yellow cast, a fluffy two fingers of foam that melts to a clumpy cover, leaving trees of lace around the glass.

Aroma - a rush of grapefruit juice. Evolves to a fresh pine as it sets up. Very nice.

Taste - chewy, malty, biscuity at the front. Copious amounts of hop bitterness on the swallow, starting with a vacant bitterness, then showing grapefruit rind and bits of orange before the sharp bitterness ensues. It gets a little medicinal just before showing off a surprising background roastiness on the finish. Ends with much bitterness of course, but also with a hint of roasted coffee as well.

Mouthfeel - thick, smooth, well-carbonated. Right on.

Drinkability - the medicinal taste I could do without, but this beer has lots to enjoy, especially during these hop-challenged times. Thanks to BGThang for sending me a bomber of this. He da' man...

brewdlyhooked13, Nov 04, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured on tap at Lazy Boy Saloon in White Plains, NY.

A: Pours a dark, burnt orange brown. Very cloudy with a nice off-white head with good lacing

S: Tangerine, Orange, Cereal/Grains, lots of hop and I think I am getting a little bit of caramel

T: Very bitter... Where I smelled tangerine I am tasting lemon and pine. Again, some caramel peaks through as the time passes and the pint regresses to room temp. I am not sure which hops are used, but it has more earth driven flavors than a lot of DIPA's I have had.

M: Medium to full bodied, good mouthfeel... alcohol is very present

D: I could use a little more balance, but the pint was poured extremely cold and with each sip some of the caramel notes started to come through.

calise1122, Nov 01, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22oz bomber poured into pint glass

Poured hazy/dark gold with 2 finger head. Very opaque and cannot see through. Smell was floral, with touch of grapefruit, a little spice, and malts poking through with sweet hops hitting you very well.

Let's taste this: Hops piercing through with grace and clarity. The malty backbone is complemented by the slight woody/spiciness that comes through. A noticeable alcohol burn finishes out the sip. Mouthfeel is very silky in the front with malty slickness throughout. Has a very wet character to it. Slight dryness remains in the front.

The shear taste of this fine beverage screams..."More, more more"...The 9.00Abv might bring you back a bit...but if you're not driving...keep going.

Green Flash has character and has not disappointed me yet...Excellent Thank you GF Brewery...one of these days I'll make it out to Calli.

TonyT, Nov 01, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Moderate level head, but it recedes slowly in a lumpy way. Slight haze on the orange-gold liquid.

Strong grapefruit-like hop aroma; there's an interesting aroma that reminds me of beef stew--rather odd.

Extra bitter, too much so--this is extreme. Good body. The beef stew shows up in the background.

If your idea of a good beer is sucking a hop pellet then this is one for you. I'm a hop head, but I prefer a little balance.

smcolw, Oct 31, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

One of my new favorite IPAs

A: Dark amber color with about a three finger head

S: very floral, very much like some very potent pot

T: Very hoppy, a few of my other beer geek buddies didn't like because they thought it was overly bitter. I thought it the robust hoppiness was excellent

M: Decent acidity with lots of bubbles

D: I could drink this all day

Neilio, Oct 30, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +12%

poured into my trusty sam adams beer glass

there is a decent amount of head, the beer is anything but see through, somewhat cloudy.

the beer is a cloudy amber, somewhat pale with hints of orange.

the smell is very pleasant, the summit hops come through right off the bat, there are hints of citrus.

the taste is outstanding, I am now a fan of this west coast brewery. Somewhat spicy, and finishes with a citrus flavor. The alcohol is by no means over powering, and the pine is a pleasant taste to leave your lips curled in a smile!

The mouthfeel is good crisp and clean, I love it

this is a very drinkable imperial IPA, so much so that I forgot is is an imperial IPA! I love this beer, it is an outstanding choice!

Count the NCBEERMONGER as a huge fan of this imperial IPA

ncbeermonger, Oct 28, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a decent head. It leaves spotty lacing down the side of the glass.

S- Very hoppy with a little bit of malt noted. The scent imparted from the hops is primarily pine with notes of lemon and organge.

T- Surprisingly bitter. Almost agressively so. No citrus comes through in the flavor. Only pine and alcohol come through.

M- Slightly astringent, but overall pleasant carbonation and decent body.

D- I couldn't finish it. There was nothing I really liked about the flavor. The pine was not very pleasant and the alcohol was too noticeable. Usually piney IPAs are a good thing (ie Pliny the Elder) however there was not enough to balance it.

JoeMayo, Oct 26, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Deep orange with red and yellow accents. Nice tall off white sticky head with complimentary lacing.

S - Citrus and pine hops with a bit of earthiness. Almost a resin like undertone.

T - Tastes like bitter grapefruit juice. Hoppy but with a nice malt backbone along with earthy, resiny flavors.

M - Moderately thick.

D - Not bad, but for a double IPA I like more of a hop kick. I want to move on after a bomber.

bifrostguard, Oct 26, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A good Imperial IPA that is right on the verge of being great.

This beer is dark orange in appearance with a big head and a mass of non-uniform bubbles. The head gives way slowly and sticks to the sides of the glass well. The smell is bitter orange, pine and smoke. It's not your normal DIPA nose, which I guess is from an unusual hop combination. I don't really know enough about hops to get into it more, but it certainly tastes and smells unlike, but not too unlike, other hoppy beers.

The taste is quite interesting. The citrus and pine are more in the background than usual. It's sweet and smoky, like a very smooth whiskey in beer-form. It's not a big, floral bright flavor like other good DIPAs I've tried. It's an earthier DIPA with some good balancing caramel from hops. The alcohol is present but blends into the aforementioned smokiness. I'm not sure if that flavor is just alcohol or something else as well. At any rate, it's enjoyable and different.

The mouthfeel is great, if not perfect. It's a very smooth beer with tiny bubbles tickling the edges of your tongue but refraining from any prickliness. The drinkability is good for a high abv, high ibu beer. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

popery, Oct 25, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

ej285701 got this for me in a beer exchange...thanks buddy!

Appearance: orange-gold-copper color with a nice 1" white head

Smell: hops and lots of them....slight citrus flavor

Taste: very hoppy with a nice citrus undertone...unbalanced but no need for it

Mouthfeel: full bodied

Drinkability: good, one bomber is enough for the night

Overall, a spectacular beer....i was not disappointed :)

Applesauce1, Oct 23, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

22oz bomber served in a pint, shared with a friend

Pours a hazy orange with a fluffy, two finger cream colored head. Excellent staying power and sticky lacing.

Candied pineapples and grapefruit with a bit of booze hovering low. Grainy, earthy malts holding it down on the back end. Pretty solid balance.

Spicy pine needles with a big billowing floral quality that descend to lip smacking bitterness. The sweetness and fruit do a great job of balancing out the earthy malts.

Medium body, good carbonation. Oily hops coat the mouth.

This was a pleasure to drink and wish I had the whole bottle myself. I cruised through my half.

ColForbinBC, Oct 21, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -1%

Review from my tasting notes.

Appearance: 1 pint bottle with no freshness or bottling date. Pours a hazy copper color with a white head that settles nicely on the top of the beer. This beer has great lacing as you drink.

Smell: Hops, apples and sweet malts. I thought the hops would dominate more, but the smell is very balanced, and it smells great.

Taste: Hops, roasted malts, and alcohol. Not as an intense hop taste as I expected, but I enjoy it. The palate is not destroyed for the night which is great, but you do get a nice hop aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy with a slight carbonation, this beer has a great mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable for such a high ABV (9%). I will only need one though. This is a great drinking beer, or a great beer to sip and enjoy. This is my first beer from Green Flash, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and will look for more.

grs8313, Oct 21, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

22oz bomber with no freshness date.

Poured into my snifter at just below room temperature this beer is a bright clear lustrous polished brass with a fluffy and bubbly two finger head. Spots and streaks of lace. Good head retention. This is a very nice looking beer.

Scent is grapefruit and fresh bread. Sugary pineapple. A whiff of pine oil. Alcohol esters.

Taste is sweet bready malt, pineapple and tropical fruit, orange, grapefruit. There's a slight pine aftertaste but it's mild. Not a particularly hot or hoppy IIPA.

Mouth is perhaps a touch thinner than I would expect for a big Imperial IPA. Does have a nice syrupy quality, however.

Drinkability is good. The 9% ABV is fairly well hidden.

Very enjoyable to drink but the lack of intense hop heat and bitterness (and the lack of a freshness date) make me wonder if perhaps this bottle is a bit old? It actually tastes more like a strong IPA than an Imperial IPA. Not a hophead's holy grail but still a tasty and easy to drink beer.

sethmeister, Oct 18, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

This is my 2nd bottle. I didn't review the first one for some reason, but the 2nd was no different than the first. Great brew.

A - Nice amber color. Lacing top to bottom. The head was a finger or so.

S - Good pine and hop aroma. Some fruits that I can't quite put a finger on.

T - Sweet citrus and bitter hops balance this beer out beautifully. Some pine flavor that is subtle.

M - Sticky start to finish. Smooth flow, almost chuggable. Stayed on the tongue for a while.

D - Good IPA. Was extremely excited to trade for and then receive in a BIF. Only wish I had acquired more.

TasteTester, Oct 13, 2008

a: glowing, lightly hazy orange-amber with moderate retention

s: big hop aroma of pulpy grapefruit and orange and pine tea, lacks the sharp fruit and pine I like most but it's plenty hoppy regardless, sweet pale grain body, some apple notes, moderately boozy

m: carbonation on the light side and soft, medium body

t: pale caramel malt body with a lingering grainy sweetness, big hop presence of course, not bright and fresh but more steeped and tealike, bitterness seems a bit tempered by the high malt but is certainly of dipa strength

d: not a problem

bomber split with the landlord...probably wouldn't buy this myself, but I'm glad to have tried it

blackie, Oct 05, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from bomber into Stella glass.

A: Glowing light amber, nice head and lacing. Good looking Imperial IPA.

S: Strong strong strong, slightly citrus with strong hoppy tones as well.

T & M: Had the Stone Ruination immediately before this brew which put this beer in proper context. This a good Imperial IPA but not in the same league as Ruination. The balance is just a little too much in the hop vs the malt. Doesn't quite the great citrus tones that the Ruination does either.

D: Drinkable, but not the best Imperial IPA that I've had.

elniko, Oct 05, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Pretty good DIPA, but not as flavourful as Moylan's.

Murky pale amber/orange with a fairly thick head. Nice balanced smell that leans heavily towards the hops without being a hop bomb. Good flavour, the hops are very distinc and the malt tames them just enough that this doesn't become one dimensional. Carbonation is a little bit light and the high ABV make this one to savour.

BDTyre, Oct 04, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at Papago Brewing, the color is a hazy yellow. Smells strongly of citrus, and tastes of bitter bitter citrus. A little too much bitterness and a tad less citrus flavor than I prefer; a little out of balance. A strong bitter aspirin aftertaste. Not the greatest San Diego IIPA, but a strong entry nonetheless.

PhxHorn, Sep 30, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

I had only had this at a tasting previously (in a tiny little plastic cup) and I never review those. I recall being a little underwhelmed at the time, so it took a while to get a bottle, and now it seems I may have a change of opinion.

A: A hazy honey-golden poured into an English pint. A nice, foamy head forms just above the 'bump' in the glass. Retention is great, and nice stick going on.

S: Leafy and herbal hops for the most half, with a peppery note. A nice smelling drink... some sappy scents in there, as well.

T: A fairly big hop flavour, though something seems a little 'jumbled' about it. A number of hop-descriptors - a tiny bit of citrus, some pine, floral-like and herbal flavours all at once. I know there aren't a load of different hop varieties going on, so perhaps it is just the choice of hops used together. A little bit of a sweetness is evident - though, strangely, it's like a few granules of artificial sweetener (and I didn't have anything containing that prior to drinking.

M + D: Medium body, assertive carbonation, which continues all the way down, giving it quite a sparkle. A little bit of alcohol warming right at the back of the throat and on the way down. With that bigger alcohol content, it's more suitable for easy going drinking, but that's alright... not one of my favourites, but a solid DIPA.

Proteus93, Sep 29, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Slightly hazy glowing orange body with a big head that fades pretty quickly but leaves nice lacing.

Very peppery hop aroma with a lot of booziness and cherry notes.

Again, very peppery, bitter hop flavor, overwhelms the malt. Definite alcohol flavor as well.

Mouthfeel is wonderful, only way it would be better is if it were drawn from a cask.

A hell of a feat, the hops and hot alcohol overwhelm just a bit, but very very good.

bboven, Sep 29, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

This is a monster of a beer at 9%. There is no fooling around on this one... Poured from a 22oz. bottle
Hazy... this didn't seem to be bottle conditioned (No sediment at the bottom of the bottle. The hazyness made me a bit weary of the beer, yet I was wrong. This is a glorious beer.
There is no doubt from the aroma that this is a hop bomb for sure. Fragrent, reminicient of resiny cousin of the hop flower.
The body of the beer is drinkable, but substantial enough to let you know it's got some testicular fortitude. It's not thin by any means, yet it's not too viscious. Perfect. The bitterness BUs are really high, but this is a showcase for hop flavor/aroma. The finish leaves you wanting more. I wish I'd bought more. It almost makes me want to move to San Diego. Almost. This is a five star Imperial/Double Ipa if ever I've tried one. And I make beer for a living.

JJDynomite, Sep 27, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured via 22oz. bomber into Troegs Hopback glass on 9/15/08.

A - Clear amber/orange body with huge two-finger cap of foamy white head that retained well and left thick, sticky lacing around the glass. Beautiful flow of effervescent carbonation bubbles.

S - Pungent grapefruit aroma with some sticky pine and resiny hops. Perhaps some orange rind as well. Beneath all of the hop goodness lies a sturdy backbone of caramel and toasted bready malt and a tinge of alcohol.

T - Huge smack of juicy citrus fruit with predominantly grapefruit and tangerine/orange. Hints of pine and resin also emerge. Finishes with a nice balancing maltiness of toasted grains and crusty bread.

M - Medium body with smooth, creamy texture and an oily slickness with medium carbonation. Warm and tingly on the palate with some residual sticky hop oils. Burgeoning bitter finish that lingers on the palate for quite a while.

D - Very nice West Coast IPA that actually exceeded my expectations. I haven't had many Green Flash offerings, but if all of their stuff is this good, then sign me up for more!

ffejherb, Sep 16, 2008
Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.