Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Reaching new heights, the mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this intense high gravity Imperial IPA will thrill even the extreme beer adventurer. Unearth savory pine, evergreen and pineapple aromas and experience the colossal rush of a hoppy adventure. We challenge you to conquer this mountain, then sit back, relax and savor the magnificence of the brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 986 | Hads: 2,555
3.71/5  rDev -8.6%

04/30/07- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no freshness info. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Deep golden color upon the pour. Full 3/4 inch tight knit bubbled head...fairly creamy. Small chunks and light lace cobwebs remain.

Smell- Mostly pine resin hops with maybe a touch of toasted malt.

Taste- Possible just a touch of a lightly stale taste? The malt? A bit too buscuit flavored. Pine hops come into play soon and take over the show. Maybe a bit of grapefruit as well. The stale taste fades after a bit.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation level. Fuller mouthfeel and a sugary coating left behind.

Drinkability- Not a bad choice for a DIPA. Not sure what that stale taste at first was, but it didn't take away too much from it. I'd try it again. (830 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Dark straw color with a sticky off white head. Strong crushed pine needle aroma, with hints of sweet candied fruit. A powerful citric/piney hoppiness attacks early, continues through a viscous mid-palate sting, and finishes with a sticky hop resin flavor. Malts seem to add little more than body and sticky sweetness. Not a clean beer, and really not all that drinkable. I much prefer the GF regular IPA to sip or session. Kind of a one trick pony: big hops. Delicious aroma, but it goes downhill from there.

Updated to increase scores. On tap at Barclay's this was delicious. The fresher version had less syrupy sweetness and a more complex hop character. Glad I tried this in its freshest form, GF is a good brewery. (719 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

One of my favorite West Coast IPAs, Green Flash has an amazing hoppiness to it, in both smell and taste. The bitterness is slightly overwhelming at first, but this beer is amazing at slightly under room temperature. I was able to get a growler of this being directly poured from a cask down in Maryland. It had about 1/2 inch of yeast down at the bottom, and an amazing cloudiness to it. (387 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance - Golden Yellow color. A medium amount of head that quickly settled into the beer.

Smell - Nothing but citrus in the aroma. I detected a hint of malt but the citrus overpowered it. Definitely a SoCal vibe to it.

Taste - The citrus aroma quickly translated into the taste. I detected some hops in the taste, but it was most citrus for me.

Mouthfeel - I immediately tasted some intense carbonation. But as soon as the beer reached the palate, there was nothing left.

Drinkability - I could easily have two of these a night. It is smooth for the most part, with a good taste. Plus, it goes really well with poultry or game. Enjoy this brew. (661 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a pale yellow.... a bit too light for a DIPA in my opinion. However, the head is a magnificent 3" chunky monstrosity, which leaves thick lacing along the glass. Absolutely gorgeous head on this one.

Delicious pine-resin aroma... crisp citrus. Not much depth or complexity... but a great nose nonetheless.

KABLAMO! 101 IBUs of tongue-puckering hoppiness gives my palate a swift butt-kicking. The pine-resin that was in the aroma makes itself very apparent in the flavour. Much like the aroma, however, it is moderately one-dimensional. Perhaps a bit of lemon rind and additional citrus join in.

Big mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Pretty damn nice.... maybe a bit less carbonation?

Pretty drinkable for a 101 IBU, 9% DIPA.... however that still does not mean it's incredibly drinkable.
All in all... quite enjoyable, and one I will certainly grab again at $4.99 a bomber. (895 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -36%

Pour: 22oz bomber to tulip glass. Vigorous pour yields vigorous head - about 3.5 finger white head over clear gold body. Sticky descent is slow paced, head is pock marked and corroded, fluffy and light.

Nose: Sweet hoppy smell. All pine and pineapple. Seriously.

Mouth: Almost no carbonation. Overly sweet. Quite bitter, w/ lingering hop flavors and alcohol heat. The malt character is quite boring, no depth - just unfermented sugar (maybe brown sugar flavor?) and pounding grapefruit hoppiness. Served this one around 55-60 degrees hoping that would open it up a bit, but nothing's going on here. I'm thinking some chilling may have improved the mouthfeel, but it's really pretty undrinkable. (700 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

Bomber-
Poured very clear, mirror like but no head.

Smell/ aroma is faint yet grassy.

Taste - very nice, grass - hop and citrus flavor.

M- nice, rich and complex.

D) very bright, not for the early ipa person, but for someone searching for what's next.

I like this but it may not be for everyone. (314 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17%

Super fresh, drank within two weeks of being bottled. Light gold, very nice head. Fairly nice hop nose but not super great. Awfully drinkable. It goes down super easy. Nice body. Nice hop flavor. A good Double IPA, but far from great, especially for being so fresh. (265 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Wow I was really impressed with this product. Was expecting a smack in the face no apologies enamel pealing hop acid bath as many west coast double IPA’s are these days. But instead got something with more than one dimension with true subtlies in flavor and body. Just enough malt to give a subtle sweetness to it although not necessary “balanced” in the truest sense. And the hop taste is pleasant and the bitterness isn’t off the scale.

This is kind of a Pliney the Elder meets Hop Wallop. The taste is very earthy, nutty with mild citrus and clover notes. Some pine and just a touch of peppery spiciness but overall incredibly drinkable and pleasant from first taste to contemplative after taste.

I was pleased with the Green Flash IPA so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised I enjoyed this product so much. I guess it’s the first time in a while Ive had an extreme beer that’s surprised me some and that’s a good thing. You can only get knocked off your bar stool so many times before they all start tasting basically the same… Very well done. (1,058 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

This is not my favorite product out of Green Flash. Bitter yes. But there is a point where bitter becomes overpowering. Many breweries have one that goes over the top. Near me Victories is Hop Wallop. Green Flash, maybe be this one, their 'Imperial India Pale Ale' takes that rank. To me a Double IPA is not only supposed to load up on the hops but give it some balancing sweetness as well. This is a bitter beer. Hop heads rejoice, but it didn't quite do it for me.

Appearance: Pours a translucent but not transparent pale golden orange color with a quick fade off white head.

Smell: The hop bitterness did not smell fresh at all! It smelled stale and earthy and quite bitter pine solvent aroma.

Taste: It starts off very hard to drink. As it warms and I adjust to it, 2/3rds of the way through my bomber, I started to actually enjoy the beer. But it took me a long time to warm up to the abrasive chemical like bitter and alcohol. It was a smelly feet, body odor like aftertaste. Not all bad but it made me think of onion bagels and arm pits. After I got that out of my head I tried to focus on the pine attribute. Where is the malt backbone??? seems to be quite minuscule in proportion. The bitterness sin the aftertaste goes beyond pleasant for me. It became a bit bothersome. It was definitely better with some cedar cheese.

Mouthfeel: The beer flavor is over the top but the mouthfeel is pleasant. Medium body with decent carbonation and other than the big bitter pucker it is nice on the palate.

Drinkability: The bomber was a bit rough to start but after all my taste buds were burnt off I finished it off. Just give it some time. This beer is for the hopheads.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,719 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz bottle thanks to srandycarter. Pours a hazy, but radiant, peach body topped by a creamy, one finger almond head. Retention is excellent and island chain lacing drapes the pint glass.

Aroma is pink grapefruit, lemonrind, and orange with hints of pine in the background.

Mouthhfeel is creamy and medium bodied with solid carbonation.

Taste opens with citrus fruit hoppiness, followed by a restrained malt sweetness that adds a note of clover honey. The malt sweetness struggles to tame the hops bitterness but never fully succeeds. Outstanding balance with prominent Nugget hops. No hint of the 9% abv. Finishes slightly bitter with a prominent pink grapefruit aftertaste.

Outstanding DIPA that is exceedingly drinkable. (736 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

A "San Diego-style IPA" as it says on the label...known for being super hoppy. Just what I needed after a long day of field work, a hop-infused kick in the ass! This beer poured a nice clear copper color with a strong white head that clung to the upper rim of my tulip glass. A pungent and beautiful aroma of dank and herbal green hops with a whispering of pine forest and cannabis was the first thing I noticed. After warming, and a few swirls, I was able to conjur up a fruity, almost champagne-like aroma that came through in the effervescence. The aroma seemed to have many layers, and evolved as the beer warmed. The taste of the beer also really shows off the hops, with notes of pine resin (not unlike some of the flavors in retsina, a Greek wine made with pine resin), fresh herbs, grass. Lots of Nugget and Summit hops used here, as mentioned on the label, and the 101 IBU rating reflects this. Some cookie malt flavors were muted to the background and really only provided a base for which to showcase the hops. I thought the consistency was very good for the style. With the 9% ABV, a little strong for too many but still drinkable if you are in the mood for a hop bomb! (1,181 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Picked up yesterday since I was in the mood for some hoppiness as I put together an "assembly required" piece of furniture. 22 oz'r pours a bright amber hued orange with a fluffy head. Nose full of grapefruit and pine.

The pine and grapefruit come through pretty strongly in the flavor. IBU's off the charts. If there's any malt in there, I don't really see them, which I think detracts overall from the style and beer in general. Very good in and of itself. Mouthfeel was smooth, leaving the tongue parched afterwards, requiring another drink, leaving the tongue parched...Next thing you know, its gone. (607 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

22 oz’er ... pour a nice light, bright orange, with a massive airy, rocky head. of white foam. Pure hop nuggets assault the olfactory glands on the first whiff ... wow ... quite the tease for the hophead like me. As I begin to drink it, the utter oily, resiny hoppiness starts pouring down my gullet before the first bit of liquid touches the lips. Surprisingly the beer itslef is less brutally hoppy than all that aroma suggests. Instead, it’s nice and even-keeled with a decent citrus hop flourish, but without being overwhelming. Still a lot of resiny, oily hop here, but blended into a light-to-the-lips beer. Wow. (#2758, 3/18/2007) (639 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice copper orange with nice fizzy head. Aromas are interesting and strong. Huge floral hop aroma, some biscuity malts. Now, i know that hops are botanical cousins to cannabis, but goddamn. Aromas are strong in that department. The volatile hop oils transfer to the taste, where the flavors are too overwhelming. Nice bitterness, but its all too much in the end. Malts are not really present, not that your numb tongue would be able to discern them. Slight alcohol burn. Smooth and dry finish. Perfect DIPA for some hop-heads, and other "-heads", but not for me. (570 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a light copper color and clear with a decent sized off white, light tan head that slowly chunks up and lightly laces on the glass. Citrus aroma, grapefruit, some lemon and a soft powdered sugar sweetness. Some fresh grassiness in the aroma as well. Taste follows the aroma closely with a light citrus sweetness up front that is slowly overtaken by a grassy dry and fairly bitter finish. Medium in body, a low to medium amount of carbonation. Alcohol is slightly evident in the finish but is fairly well balanced for its size. Nothing that was knocking my socks off flavor wise, but still a good beer with a decent amount of raw bitterness. (645 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

Hazy, murky faint amber in color. Sizeable head. Big piney and resiny hop aroma-very frsh smelling as well. Grapefruit flavors dominate with a nice "catty" characteristic to it. Not as sweet and malty as some DIPAs I have had. Not as much pucker to it either. Good body-quite dry in the finish. Very drinkable beer though there are some better ones out there. Between this and their West Coast IPA it all sort of gets blurred. Well worth consuming however. (456 characters)

Photo of
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz. bottle.

Hazy, golden color. Medium sized, off white head. Summit & Nugget hops bring the flavor in at 101 IBUs.

Grapefruit, grass and pine. Smells like a hop bomb....No malt balance in aroma.

It is, it is a hop bomb! No confusion with an American barleywine. Grapefruit and pine. Hops supported by a cracker-like malt. A bit of a soapy aftertaste?

Medium + in body. Medium + carbonation. Dry as can be. Soap is back as a mouth-coating feeling.

I like the taste, but this one is kind of rough. Unbalanced is a bit of an understatement. (555 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Well, I used to have some skin cells on my tongue. They were getting in the way, so thankfully Green Flash Imperial IPA removed them for me.

This is a great double IPA from Green Flash, the maker's of San Diego County's best IPA in my opinion, West Coast IPA.

Smells of intense yeast and tastes of straight hops which you would expect. Nice alcohol warming, but the mouthfeel isn't overly thick, so this goes down almost too easily, except for the skin cell removal of course.

Great job Green Flash. Stick to the stronger beers like this and your equally excellent Barleywine. (587 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Hazy light copper. Frothy one finger head. Ivory white. Lace comes in webby rings. Got a great nose of juicy pink grapefruit pulp, bong resin and leather. My kind of nose for an IIPA. The flavor is pretty good too. It's got that grungey, resiny, oily hop feel to it. I get a hint of garlic on the palate as well. The malts are firm. They don't stand out obviously, but they don't fucking back down either. Toffee and caramel come to mind in this malt backbone. Alcohol gives a little bit of a lingering spiciness. But for 9%, I really don't get much on the buds. Very interesting and quite good. I could drink a few of these. For 101 IBUs, the bitterness really doesn't seem over-the-top. (688 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

My glass is filled with a clear golden liquid topped off with a nice two finger head of tight, off-white bubbles. Nice rings of lacing go down the glass like height marks on a door jamb. The second pouring revealed a slightly cloudier and darker shade of gold.

Pine hops are the strongest scent here, with citrus following a few car lengths behind. Just a hint of sweet malts in the beginning.

The taste is definitely DIPA. Pine and citrus hops hit you with bitterness from start to finish. The malt isn't even noticed. This brew just goes from pine to citrus to grassy then back to a resiny pine. Delicious.

Slick, oily moutheel to this full body beer. Resiny hop oils coat the entire mouth. I can taste the dryness, but I can barely feel it...if that makes any sense. I am glad that Green Flash has finally made it to my neck of the woods. I will be grabbing this one regularly. (889 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Bomber into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: A slightly hazy peach and copper-colored body with a billowing head that unfortunately fades too quickly. Perhaps this is too cold, but there's still some dotty lacing hanging around on the sides.

Smell: There's some kind of rooty bitterness that I can't put my finger on here at the forefront, and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there or not. I guess at this point I wish I could differentiate between hop varieties, but unfortunately I can't. Since the barley wine of theirs I had recently was so aromatic and infused with citrus, I was expecting the same, but alas, this isn't as aromatic as I want it to be. The high IBUs, however, seem to be showing, as maybe there's not enough malt balance coming through, giving a kind of unevenness.

Taste: With more balance this could be incredible stuff, but I feel like the IBUs are at an all-time high. Still, it's very tasty, lip-spacking, and is infused with both the grapefruit and citrus elements and also the oily pine flavors, and for that I applaud it.

Mouthfeel: Pretty sticky and full, but that only adds to the flavors and the lip-smacking nature of the brew, with also enough carbonation to not let either side take control.

Drinkability: The IBUs are high, but thankfully the alcohol burn is pretty much absent, giving more focus to the flavor. Plus, at around $5 a bottle there's enough here for hopheads to like. I'll probably stick to the barley wine, but overall this was a pretty good experience, and it can certainly last a while too, which is also a plus. (1,581 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -36%

A- Light gold with a big, fluffy white head and good lacing.

S- Big initial burst of piney hops. There are some underlying sweet fruity aromas including orange, grapefruit, and a little bit of a cotton candy smell.

T- A bit of sweet malt, then an intense bitterness. Hop flavors are rather nondescript. Not balanced in the least. The focus seems to be entirely on the bitterness and not on the flavor. Alcohol is unusually noticeable. I'd expect a little alcohol flavor from a 9% brew, but this is uncharacteristically strong. Generous bitterness on the finish.

M- Not bad, but not great either. A little thin, but not too highly carbonated. Pretty average.

D- Not very drinkable. The flavor just isn't very good, and the alcohol is not well-hidden. I'll have trouble finishing the bomber, and may not even do that.

Wow, this just wasn't good. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but I was at least hoping for a decent, drinkable DIPA. What I got was a complete mess. Now I don't mind bitterness, but if there's no hop flavor to go along with it, then it's pointless. I couldn't find a date on this bottle, so I'm almost wondering if it's a little past its prime or otherwise tainted. If all the bottles taste like this, then I would recommend staying away from this beer. I've had this brewery's barleywine and it's much better, so I'd suggest going with that instead. (1,389 characters)

Thanks to skinnyelvis for including this in my ba anniv. package. Shared with my brother after a long day of work. Review from notes--This was had last night.

A: Pours a hazy peach color with a thin white head. Slight retention with bubbles making their way to the top. Thick lacing down the glass.
S: Pine sap hops coupled with those always noticeable grapefruit flavors. Malty background tries to keep the hops a bit subdued, but their no match. Floral hop presence with a spicyness to them also.
T/M: Hops right from the get go. Grapefruit, citrus fruit, pears laced with a sharp and hot spicyness. Prickly pine needles oozing with sap and tar stick to the tongue. Resiny, oily, and juicy leave the mouth dry. Thicker body and at 9% it's quite drinkable. Quite bitter finish leading to a spicy grassy hop finish.
D: A very wonderful beer to indulge in. High abv is masked by the grapefruit and other hop flavors, although it comes through slightly in the spicyness. Very smooth. Almost bordering on a barleywine in my opinion. Nice one from Green Flash. (1,063 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The body was very clear, light copper color with a small sticky off white head. Very nice citrus nose, mostly orange rind with a slight piney smell. The taste starts off very bitter, in a good way, then a citrus fruity sweetness hits and a small bit of biscuity malt. It finshes pretty clean with slight lingering piney bitterness. The texture was creamy and smooth, very drinkable. A very good DIPA. (400 characters)

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.