Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Reaching new heights, the mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this intense high gravity Imperial IPA will thrill even the extreme beer adventurer. Unearth savory pine, evergreen and pineapple aromas and experience the colossal rush of a hoppy adventure. We challenge you to conquer this mountain, then sit back, relax and savor the magnificence of the brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 985 | Hads: 2,551
3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a dark golden with a decent initial head that fades to a thin cap. Pretty good lacing. Smells of spearmint, coriander, bubblegum. Unusual hop profile in the smell, also quite dry. Taste is somewhat similar, but the coriander note is quite a bit more restrained. Alittle waxy and a little beefy tasting with big but meaty/earthy hops.I don't get much citrus. I like the regular ipa quite a bit better than this. The alcoholseems somewhat restrained.A little slick in the mouth with a fairly big, dry body. Not the most drinkable beer on the planet. Very dry, alcoholic, and with a hop profile that doesn't charm makes it a one time thing for me. (650 characters)

22oz brown bottle served into a flaired tulip glass
Poured a hazy,glowing reddish orange,generous slightly off-white colored head,very creamy,very good retention.leaving chunky islands and collars of lace. Not much carbination noticable with some particles at the bottom of the bottle.

Strong pineapple aroma,followed by sweet carmelly/toffeee-like,as floral with some grassiness. strong and pleasing aroma.

Heavy malt taste up front with lots of carmell with a burnt edge,quickly followed up by a strong hop rush of pine with tons of grapefruit. Very leafy leaving and oil slick of hoppyness. Has a good balance that finishes with heavy citrus rind.The alcohol was well hidden or buried under the hops. Juicy grapefruit with an aciditic mouthfeel.

Rough at first taste,tames out the more you drink. A good double in the middle of the pack. Te bomber was enough for me. Worth a try,would definatly drink again. (913 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a yellow-orange color with a white head that recedes leaving quite a bit of lacing on the way down.

Aromas begin with a plethora of resiny, dank hops. Strong citrus, pine and floral notes. Little to no malt profile in this beast.

The taste begins with the same assault of wretching hop bitterness. A punch of resiny dank bitterness highlighted by grapefuit and pine. My problem is that is doesn't have quite that much actual hop flavor; just a bruising bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is super sticky, bitter and resinous. Palate wrecker for sure with little to no malt sweetness to balance the hop bitterness.

Overall this is not my cup of tea. Way too bitter to enjoy more than a few sips. No my style of an enjoyable DIPA. (781 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 22 oz bomber it was a hazy copper color with a good head with some lacing.smell is hops both floral and pine with a stale malt background..taste was hops first with pine and grapefruit they were faint in taste IMO but could smell them it finished with a balnd stale malt taste that kinda ruined the hops..still not bad.mouth feel is medium and creamy its just not a top notch dipa..it is good the bomber dissapeared it was just not a wow dipa (456 characters)

On tap into snifter.

A - Nice, hazy golden orange. Good head formation and lacing

S - Some citric fruits (lemon, oranges), grassy, caramel malt

T - I did not pick up very much citric fruits except at the very first sip. As the flavour develops mid-palate I get all grass, pine and grains. There is also a strong onioness to it, a la Gubna.

M - Medium, sticky, slight burn

O - A well put together IIPA but the presence of that onion flavour took this one back a bit. (471 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle; crisp golden coloring and very clear. Nice frothy head, that thinly laces the glass as I sip.
Nice light nose, not as floral or citrus as I usually like, but pleasant.
The taste is the same as the nose, not overbearing, but pleasant. A little more mild than I had expected, but it certainly does not have the mouth full of pennies effect that some DIPAs have. A really nicely balanced beer ... crazy to say when talking Imperial styles A really nice mouthfeel and it is almost impossible to tell that it is 9.5% ABV ... maybe that will be easier to tell once I've finished the bottle. Decent beer, glad I finally had the chance to try it out! (670 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

pours a clear light golden honey color with a sticky one-finger head. dissipates a little quick, but leaves alot of lace.
aroma is, obviously, very big on hops. initial blast of citrusy grapefuit with floral orange blossom in the middle and a heavy resinous/piney type of note in the back. alcohol tingle in present with a big whiff.
taste is also big on the grapefruit-like citrusy notes, but with a very nice caramel malt backbone. there is a bit of pine as well with an unexpected spice character that adds a lot to the overall profile. alcohol is present, but doesn't overpower, even at warmer temperatures.
mouthfeel is quite enjoyable, medium/full with a creamy carbonation.
overall drinkability is pretty high, considering the relatively low price. the bitterness is not too intense considering the 101 IBU's, there is enough malts to lend a little balance. the alcohol is also very well hidden, it drinks almost like a regular IPA. (939 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a rather standard looking burnt orange with a small head and minimal lacing.

Smells of the usual citric hoppiness.

Tastes also quite like an ordinary hoppy IPA. Grapefruit is a main attraction. Somewhat bitter aftertaste, but not as offputting as some hop bombs.

Mouthfeel was nice and thick and slick. Very smooth.

Well, what is there to say. If you like rather simple beers which taste mainly of hops, then this is one which should please you. (457 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

I have heard quite a bit about this brewery and was anxious to try this beer. I had this out of a 22 oz.
This poured a nice golden color with a slight haze. The smell had a wonderful hop forward character that i really enjoyed. This is a really big beer and unfortunately the abv is not masked very will. With 102 ibu's you think it would be but i think a little more malt character would have made this great. Overall i enjoyed it but I expect a little more balanced IPA. (473 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle to nonic, served cool.

A - 3.5 - Dull gold (meh) with with thick, white, textured head (very nice).

S - 3.5 - Faint aroma. Maybe the ghost of a hop note, a rumor of a malt note.

T - 3.5 - Head doesn't taste like much of anything. Beer doesn't taste like much of anything. Mild bitterness, mostly in the aftertaste.

M - 3.5 - Light-medium body. Soft.

O - Overall this comes across as an inoffensive, mild, generic beer without much going on, that you could drink with just about any meal and not have it compete or clash with anything. Except for the aftertaste bitterness, I'd almost expect to get this in a British pub it's so mild. Not at all what I was expecting.

Went back and looked at the date. Turns out it was just over 3 months old. I guess that explains it. Lesson learned - don't trust IPAs that you order online unless the vendor is willing to tell you the bottle dating. I'll come back and re-score this after I can find a fresher bottle. (967 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance - Pours golden/orange with a large white head, eventually shrinking to nearly nothing.

Smell - citrus, buttered bread, butterscotch, whiff of ethanol.

Taste - A fair amount of citrus peel, LOTS of that buttered bread/butterscotch character. Sweet up front, then huge bittering in the finish. Boozy, dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, moderate prickly carbonation. Good amount of alcohol bite and mild warming of the throat.

Drinkability - Not bad at all. VERY drinkable for the abv - though it doesn't hide the alcohol very well. Tastes pretty good, but at the end of the day doesn't have the dynamic flavor profile I come to expect from the style - comes off as more of a boozy IPA. (701 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

A- Pours a nice orange/tangerine color w/ a beautiful two finger head. Not much carbonation, and decent lacing. Somewhat cloudy, but fairly clear to see through. A really nice looking beer.

S- Orange, tangerine, malt, hops, something funky as well... onion??? not sure what that last thing is. Nice smelling except for that one thing. Would've been a 4.5 otherwise. Solid.

T- Pretty much the same as the nose. It doesn't taste like 101 IBU's to me. It's bitter, but not what I thought it would be. I can't figure out what that off taste is (onion, garlic?) but it really detracts from this beer. It's still tasty, but I've definitely had to lower the score because of that. Tasty, just not as good as their West Coast IPA.

M- Pretty much right with the style, not a whole lot to add to that. Definitely bitter, w/ a smoothness that shows itself in the aftertaste. This and the appearance are the strong suits of this beer for me.

O- Good solid beer that fails to meet the bar West Coast IPA has set. I'm going to have to read some other reviews to see if someone else figured out that onion/garlic smell/taste I was getting. Worth trying if you like the style. Definitely different, and not a bad effort... Just not world class. (1,233 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from bomber bottle into a snifter glass. No bottle date present, as with other Green Flash stuff that we get here on East Coast.

A: Pours a hazy, yellow/orange color, thin white head, mild carbonation, head fades quickly, OK lacing on the glass.

S: Not the hoppy burst that I was expecting or had read about in other posts. Starting to think that this bottle might be out-dated. I get more malt than hops.

T: I don't get hops! I get all malt here. Some bite on the back end with mild hops. But nothing floral or citrusy. Upsetting.

M: Hardly any mouth coating here. No DIPA mouth pucker either. I understand that most DIPAs are sweeter, but this is a malt bomb. As mentioned, some bite at end.

D: I hate to say it, because I love the GF West Coast IPA, but this one is a "one and done" for me. Very unpleased. I blame the bottle dating problem, no the beer. (869 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -14%

Never even heard of this brewery before but my nearby beer pimp started carrying some so I thought I'd try!
Not the most impressive looking double IPA on the block. Pours a quite pale amber with hardly any head and barely any sort of lacing anywhere.
The scent makes more of an impression. There's a strong, deep floral hop scent that also has some nice top notes of hops. Pleasing sweetnesses.
The flavors remind one of the odors. Not too shabby but there's some lack of balance. The bitter hop flavors are a bit too aggressive as it lingers in the finish for a bit too long. Reminds me a little bit of Victory's Hop Wallop but doesn't strike me as being quite as enjoyable.
This brew seems to need more or less of something to make it really sing. It should either go more over the top, to the point where you don't care about imbalance because of the strong perspective... or some more balance.There are many double IPA's out there, and well, this is one of them! (966 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -14%

650 ml (22 oz) poured into a pint glass (several times).

A - Pours a (lightly cloudy when cold) orange with medium carbonation and an off-white foamy head. Leaves a LONG sticky lace as the beer goes down.

S -Citrusy/fruity hops smell right off the bat. The hops are followed by an interesting malt smell. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe a nutty and or biscuity malt smell? Not well defined.

T - Taste is much like the smell. Citrus and grapefruit tastes that cause a tingling sensation on both the sides and the front of the tongue. In addition to the hops is a prominent secondary malts taste. Once again I'm not sure what it is. Carmely, nutty, sugary? The flavors are kind of mottled together. Very little bitter lingering (especially for a DIPA).

M - Medium-heavy body almost a little creamy. Heavier than most DIPA that I've had. Medium carbonation.

D - I could drink many of these beers - but wouldn't savor them. Nothing really significantly stands out on this beer. That is, picking out individual flavors is difficult. In my opinion, a fairly simplistic beer, but defiantly drinkable. (1,110 characters)

22oz, no fresh date.
Pours a clear golden color with a huge head of small/medium off white bubbles. Sharp, perfume pine/herbal aroma. A touch of lemongrass and… chives(?). Taste is smooth and well balanced between the bitter hops and sweet malt. A touch of garlic(?) in the aftertaste with a lingering clean bitterness. The garlic and chives take over as it warms. I happen to like both, but I’m not sure that is what I would go for in a beer… Odd, but enjoyable for me. Not for everyone. The label states that Summit and Nugget hops were used. I am assuming the Summit hops are giving it the onion/garlic character. I never got that from Nugget. 22oz was enough. I almost got sick of it at the end. (703 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Bottle was bought at the awesome Common Market in Charlotte NC.
Pours a very clean amber, orange color in the body and a very thick white head.
Nose is full of hops, mild hops at that. The hop level could be a little higher for "Imperial IPA" but it is much more prominent than your normal hoppy IPA. Not much malt on the nose and a little alcohol. Hop smell is mostly piney and grassy with little grapefruit notes.
Taste is smooth and begins like an overly bitter hop profile but finishes very even, probably due to the higher alcohol content. A little tart grapefruit plus pine finish.
Pretty drinkable for an Imperial beer and an enjoyable one at that. Not much different from any respectable IIPA but good nontheless. (723 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Had on tap at Rustico in Ballston (Arlington) VA.

Pours amber semi clear with nice lacing and small head.

The smell and taste are very different and not my favorite, but interesting. The nose hits with the citrus and grass hops and sugary malt you'd expect in smaller than hoped for doses but man there is a crazy overriding peppery and kitchen spice like thyme going on that i can't get my mind off. The taste is about the same, that peppercorn is strange, I even get a rosemary type edge, but theres some nice hop presence to throw it off a little. Bitter and dry aftertaste, but an overriding sweetness as well.

Mouth is smooth and good carbonation, the drinkability is ok, sort of weird, I could hardly get through a full pint. (736 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Tarnished copper with half a finger of head that looks like soap bubbles.

S- Very floral- lavender, caramel. Not a lot of volatile aromas that I can really get a hold on.

T- Prett harsh- not what I expected. A lot of flowery tastes, just like the smell. Some grapefruit pith. Malts taste like whole wheat soft bread crusts. Sweet orange and tangerine candy.

M- Silky and smooth. Light carbonation but I'm enjoying it. Sort of coats the mouth. But still pretty harshly bitter after that coating.

O- I wish it was a little more powerful, especially in the aroma, and a little smoother in the taste. It's rough around the edges. (632 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

A- Pours amber with 2.5 fingers of thick foam. Good retention. Receded into a half finger that remained.

S- Citrusy hops. Some orange zest. A bit of pine.

T- Tasted hoppy with some definite citrus. I also tasted some juniper. Slight malty back. I can definitely taste the 9.4%.

M- Medium to full bodied. But the alcohol heat didn't hide very well.

D- I liked it, but I personally don't mind the alcohol bite. I could see how it might turn someone else off. (461 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

A- Nice orange color, decent size head with a small amount of lacing left on the glass. When held up to the light it looks a tad more murky than most IPAs I've had

S- decent hop smell, though not as powerful as I was expecting based on green flash reputation

T- grapefruit, orange, not a super strong pine test like some other west coast IPAs. Very little malt taste this is a hop bomb for sure. The bitterness gets you on the tongue on the way down

M- I find it to be a little thick, almost like syrup but not that bad.

Definitely drinkable, though rather high in alcohol so you gotta pace yourself. It's a great DIPA, though not as piney tasting as I would have liked (674 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Green Flash Imperial IPA, despite the many reviews, is to me a pretty average IIPA. IT has a lot of tropical and dank hoppiness but also a bunch of sweet fruity flavors and biscuity malts. The color was darker than I was expecting and it was (to me) too sweet for what I consider the hallmark of the style--Pliny the Elder. I had no problem finishing the 11 oz from the bomber I split with a friend, but I would find it hard to drink much more than that due to the cloying and lingering bitterness and sweetness. (512 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -15%

biegaman shared this one. thanks jan!

22oz bottle.

pours a nice golden yellow, slightly orangey, with a huge fluffy tan head that drops slowly and leaves lots of clumpy lace.

good aroma. grapefruit and tangerine. resiny. bread and cracker malt. a bit catty.

taste is ok. bready malt. bit of yeast and spice. medium bitterness level. grapefruit and a bit of tangerine. bit of a letdown.

mouthfeel is good. clingy resiny bitterness. medium-low carbonation level. medium body.

drinkability is ok. fairly well balanced. the flavour didn't really do it for me and seemed to be a bit of a letdown after the great appearance and nice aroma. (651 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

double IPAs are all the rage, stealing the covers of BeerQ and Vanity Lager magazines...

eyes...
light caramel color with an orange tinge, a nice, condensed white head, retention is good as well as the lacing. a nice looking beer but nothing "wows" you.

nose...
super pine, REALLY pine driven, to the point of almost smelling like a cleaning product and/or fresh cannabis (so I have heard), the malts really have to fight to be detected but some hints of sweetness escape this alcatraz of tree shaped car freshners. kind of a one trick pony, it lacks the depth of some other DIPAs

taste etc...
yep, it's bitter, the carbonation is a bit deceptive, almost prickly but a touch creamy and slick, once you get used to the bitterness it is a pretty mild ride, the alcohol is well hidden (not perfectly though). It's a bit thin but the hop oils help to smooth it out. The flavor is much like the smell, pine to the wazoo, it;s tasty enough, but doesn't distinguish itself too much from other DIPAs

verdict?
not bad, worth a try but don't expect to be blown away. unless you like to suck on pine needles all the live long day (you freak you) (1,150 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Split a 22 two ways, poured into stemless wine glasses. Reviewed 11/27/2009.

Ar: lemon, citrus, pine, resin, sweet candy, rough hop, floral, tropical fruit, pineapple, tart citrus, nondescript hop, vegetative, alcohol, slightly oxidized slightly stale abused hop presence

Ap: fine haze straw with light orange, off white head, fair retention

T: Resin, pine, strong persistent bitterness, citrus (lemon, pineapple, grapefruit), candy sweetness, rough resin burn, light alcohol, plain malt, honey/light caramel, vegetative, hints of hop funk, raw hop, tropical fruit, non-descript hop, aggressive citrus/pine hop resin, big flavor, *good sweet/hop balance

M: high fine carbonation, medium body, very resinous, resin burn and alcohol warmth (*good for 9.4%)

O: Aggressive hopping, pleasant flavor profile, a bit too resin balanced, tons of hops but rough and overdone, good flavor but flavor:resin balance is off, a better over the top IPA

*=ideas from fellow taster (969 characters)

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.