Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 984 | Hads: 2,550
3.33/5  rDev -18%

On tap at 515 in Santa Cruz. Pours gold with a nice white head that leaves thin filmy lacing. Aroma is garlicky hops, herbs, and pale malts. Flavor is heavy on herbal hops but that garlic is throwing me off. There's also some sweeter citrus influence but it's mild. Not a lot of malt presence but that may be a result of tasting this after an imperial red. Seems dry and bitter enough, but the hop profile could easily be improved. (431 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18%

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a decent head. It leaves spotty lacing down the side of the glass.

S- Very hoppy with a little bit of malt noted. The scent imparted from the hops is primarily pine with notes of lemon and organge.

T- Surprisingly bitter. Almost agressively so. No citrus comes through in the flavor. Only pine and alcohol come through.

M- Slightly astringent, but overall pleasant carbonation and decent body.

D- I couldn't finish it. There was nothing I really liked about the flavor. The pine was not very pleasant and the alcohol was too noticeable. Usually piney IPAs are a good thing (ie Pliny the Elder) however there was not enough to balance it. (684 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18%

A: A nice even honey golden hue with a big bubbly head. A small put thick head remains after the inital pour. Lacing is left in sheets with this one. One side of the glass was so covered you could barely see thru it.

S: Nice citrus aromas. Tons of bitter lemon and zesty grapefruit. i like it.

T: Tons of grapefruit right up front. Malt appears in the middle to lessen the bitter blow of the hops. Then a strange taste appears. I don't know how to place it. It tastes kind of like the white part of the grapefruit mixed with stale grass. Not good at all. It finishes crips and dry.

M: Nice and full bodied, filling like you would expect from a big DIPA.

D: So So. That strange taste in the middle kind of blow it for me.

Overall: It's a nice looking brew that starts off so nice. I just can't get over the odd taste in the middle. It starts great and finishes wonderful, but when its all said and done it's just okay. (922 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: Poured a slightly cloudy orange/brown amber. Less than one finger white head, which doesn’t stick around very long. Diminishes to a nice mottle bubble coating. Visible bubbles on glass when poured, which some good visible carbonation. Some lacing, but nothing spectactular.

Smell: A strong nose of fresh hops, big but not overpowering. The hops are sweet, fruity, and candy like. Citrus and pine are also present.

Taste: First impression is that it is a little too strong, making it slightly harsh. The alcohol (9%) and bitter hops hit first; definitely a pucker moment. The hops taste a bit darker and not as appealing as the smell, but still alright. Sweet, like an IPA should be, but not overly so. There’s a slight off taste after the hops with some malt to balance the beer, but only slightly. Raisin taste that lingers for awhile.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied beer, with a big alcohol bite. The beer itself is smooth, but the alcohol works its way back and tickles the throat fast and early.

Drinkability: A beer that had incredible promise, but just ended up being way too much. It looks and smells wonderful, but the taste leaves much to be desired. The alcohol isn’t hidden at all, making it tough to do anything but sip. I'll have to try this again sometime, but right now its not for me. (1,328 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a very clear, light rusty color. Grapefruit juice, really. Head is off white and super extremely uber bubbly. Did I get that point across? Millions of bubbles. The lacing is nice and sticky. Preeeetty beer.

Smells sweet and tangy. The hops are crisp, fresh, and grassy. There's some lemon in there, and some... apricot? The sweetness isn't cloying or overdone, it's actually quite pleasant. If you take in a big whiff you even get some vanilla. All that said, it's kind of faint- you reeeeally gotta sniff it out.

Huh. Flavor threw me off. It's... bitter. A little TOO bitter. Lots of roasted, toasted, burnt bread flavors. There's some sweetness in the beginning but it's immediately overpowered by woodsy hop flavors then bitterness that lingers. Now, I like my hops- I LOVE my hops. But this is a little too rushed. It's not harmonious. There's potential, the ingredients are there- but they just don't flow like they should. It's not unpleasant, just not as good as it could be.

Mouthfeel is pretty strong. Very sudsy and chewy, and slick. Doesn't dry you out, doesn't leave you with anything unpleasant. Good bite.

Overall this beer is just... I had hoped for so much more! It's unbalanced. The bitterness is both too much, and not enough. It needs more, or it needs less. But for 7 bucks in Manhattan, for a 9.4% beer... I'll take it. (1,350 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap and served in a pint glass, pours a rich golden color with perhaps a hint of orange. A decent head dissipates over a few minutes and yields little lacing on a pre-chilled glass. I think the condensation on the glass prevented what would likely have been more stickiness on the lace.

Smell is initially a huge fresh hemp bomb. As the head dissipates and the volatility of things settle down. the hop presence throws out slightly floral but mostly tangerine citrus notes. Malt presence is there but rather simple in its supporting role.

Taste is expected given the nose. Initially the marijuana nose dulls the senses and overwhelms the taste. Then the citrus comes through and the finish offers a lightly complex malt sweetness. Hemp influences diminish through the pint short of aggressive agitation of the brew, letting other flavors take the forefront. Malts are light in body and somewhat effective at keeping the alcohol taste down, yet without distracting from the hops.

This is a big, sipping brew that offers a good mouthfeel and decent drinkability within the confines of the ABV. Brewers site notes the use of 'Summit and Nugget Hops' in the recipe.

Edit: Smell reduced from 4.5 to 3.5. Major hop adjustment that I'm not feelin' the love for. Why change a good thing??

Edit #2 01/12 Taste and feel are thinner. Less body on the feel. This is now a mediocre DIPA. Offers a decent but unexciting nose with a light pine resin hop aroma. Taste and mouthfeel are washed out a bit. Hop change? Or financial decision? I would guess the latter. Taste and feel dropped by a half point, and I thing I might be being generous.

Bottom line: This beer has little if any resemblance to it's former self. And that really pisses me off. If you can't make the same beer with the same ingredients, then at least call it something else. (1,839 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Not impressed with this beer. All IBU's are alive and kicking, leaves a big bitterness at the back of the tongue after each sip. A heavy dose of malt as well, making the feel thick and syrupy, but ample carbonation makes the mouthfeel good, very understated on the tongue. I've never had an Imperial IPA that tasted so damn heavy on the malt, yet so damn bitter with the hops, I almost wish one would dominate the other so they weren't fighting the character of the beer. The bitterness is penetrating, everlasting in it's power, and the malt almost seems like the wrong malt used (pale) where is the caramel? (609 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19%

Tried this from a fresh bomber. A tad disappointed.

A: A beautiful hazy copper-orange with two-finger off-white head and ample lacing. Nice bubble show. Unfortunately, this is the best part of the beer...

S: Panoply of hops. Mint, citrus, and pine, with the citrus being a tad subdued. Unfortunately evokes memories of the trub left at the bottom of a carboy after siphoning off a homebrew.

T: Sour citrus up front gives way to pine, ending with an unpleasant bitterness. No hints of hops, and no attempts made to hide the 9.4% ABV.

M: Thick without being syrupy. Resinous. What I look for in an IIPA.

O: A very disappointing beer from Green Flash. I'm a huge fan of their imperial stout, but this IIPA is a hoppy mess that misses the point entirely. (756 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer on tap at the Falling Rock Tap Room in Denver.

APPEARANCE: Hazy and light gold with almost a glow to it. It had a solid, pure white head that quickly loses about half of it's mass before slowing down to almost a complete stop. The remaining eighth of an inch of head hung in there for a long time, which led to some pretty good lacing.

SMELL: There is a surprising lack of nose to the Green Flash Imperial, especially given the strong head retention and the very strong flavors that you are about to taste. What was detectable though was a piney and floral aroma.

TASTE: The first word out of my mouth when I tasted this was "Weed." It instantly reminded me of Hop Stoopid with it's resiny pine flavor only the Green Flash had a much bigger malt profile and a very short burst of bitterness at the close of the sip. A little bit of citrus and pine fill out the flavor profile.

On a slightly separate note, the bartender was in complete agreement with me on the weed taste. His exact quote was "Yep, if it's hoppy enough, it smells like my backpack."

MOUTHFEEL: Rich and heavy sitting, but along with some solid sparkle and a weird, simultaneous syrupy feel. The sparkling syrup is not something you taste too often.

OVERALL: My notes say "Good, not great, but good." I will drink this beer again, but it will not be my go too. I would say if this one wasn't tougher for me to track down I'd almost always take a Hop Stoopid over it, but it is a good change of pace and ultimately I did enjoy it. (1,515 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

a: clear, dark gold color with thick foamy head that retains well & leaves plenty of lacing
s: hoppy as expected -- very piney aromas
t: hops start it off, followed by soft malts in the middle & finish with spicy hops that aren't too bitter, sweet malts linger on the palate
m: crisp carbonation to start, cream body in the middle & a small shot of carbonation to finish
d: certainly fits the style, just didn't have anything that really stood out, but worth a try (464 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

I've heard really fantastic things about this brewery from a friend in San Diego. I ordered this bottle online and it came with no discernible bottling date and I would guess there's a reason for that...

A - Looks nice. Sort of a ruby/tangerine color with a healthy, slowly dissipating head - slightly off white.

S - There's everything you would expect from an Imperial IPA - heavy citrus / floral character, supported with some sweeter malts - but then there's this rather unpleasant layer of chives or garlic or something.

T - Just as expected. Hop bomb hits initially (with 101 IBUs) but then gets waved over by that onion type flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is just fine for the style, not the issue here.

O - I hope this bottle is over the hill and not demonstrative of the brew. (781 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have love almost all of the Green Flash beers that I have tasted. This one poured crystal clear with almost no head. There was little aroma in the nose. I almost wasnt sure I was tasting an IPA. I was hoping for more hops

The initial taste left me somewhat disappointed. What I felt the most was a strong alcohol taste. I would not have objected to that if the hops balanced that off to make are better balanced beer. (420 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -20.2%

Original Rating Date:
September 6, 2008

Smells pleasantly fruity and citric to balance out the hop assault on my nostrils. Pours a bit paler than some 2IPAs, with a big, beautiful frothy head and one of the longest lasting, soapiest lacings I've ever seen for an India pale ale. This beer looks excellent. Flavor is a bit citric in order to combat the excessive hop bitterness, but still doesn't feel as balanced as the better 2IPAs I've had such as DFH90 or Lagunitas Maximus. Definitely worth trying but the best part about this beer is the look about it. (558 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

This is not my favorite product out of Green Flash. Bitter yes. But there is a point where bitter becomes overpowering. Many breweries have one that goes over the top. Near me Victories is Hop Wallop. Green Flash, maybe be this one, their 'Imperial India Pale Ale' takes that rank. To me a Double IPA is not only supposed to load up on the hops but give it some balancing sweetness as well. This is a bitter beer. Hop heads rejoice, but it didn't quite do it for me.

Appearance: Pours a translucent but not transparent pale golden orange color with a quick fade off white head.

Smell: The hop bitterness did not smell fresh at all! It smelled stale and earthy and quite bitter pine solvent aroma.

Taste: It starts off very hard to drink. As it warms and I adjust to it, 2/3rds of the way through my bomber, I started to actually enjoy the beer. But it took me a long time to warm up to the abrasive chemical like bitter and alcohol. It was a smelly feet, body odor like aftertaste. Not all bad but it made me think of onion bagels and arm pits. After I got that out of my head I tried to focus on the pine attribute. Where is the malt backbone??? seems to be quite minuscule in proportion. The bitterness sin the aftertaste goes beyond pleasant for me. It became a bit bothersome. It was definitely better with some cedar cheese.

Mouthfeel: The beer flavor is over the top but the mouthfeel is pleasant. Medium body with decent carbonation and other than the big bitter pucker it is nice on the palate.

Drinkability: The bomber was a bit rough to start but after all my taste buds were burnt off I finished it off. Just give it some time. This beer is for the hopheads.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,719 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into pint glass. Quite cloudy with small head and reasonable carbonation.

Smell somewhat as expected- piney hops,citrus, but then some pepper & some musty odor?wet grass?

Taste of hops,pine,grapefruit,pepper. It has some other aftertaste that I cannot pinpoint. It is not an overpowering thing, but not a good thing either- maybe like romano cheese? I was afraid this might be too bitter for me, but that was not the case.

Feels very good going down- nice body & carbonation level

It is quite drinkable for such a strong flavorful beer. The alcohol is well hidden and can get you in trouble. I wish I knew how old this bottle was. I cannot see any date on the bottle. I think it may be a little old for this style. Sure wish there was a bottle date. I would try again if I knew the next bottle was fresh! I have to believe a fresh bottle will taste & smell better (893 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Green Flash Imperial IPA looks the part, with a yellow-orange body and a large off-white head that leaves behind all sorts of lacing.

The aroma has some citrus from the hops, as well as some resin and vegetal notes. A light, crackery malt base lingers around the edges.

If I liked the hop profile of Green Flash's Imperial IPA, I would love the beer; the malt backbone is nice and the balance is perfect. The beer is neither too sweet or to hot. I do not, however, like the hop profile. I pick up light citrus and resin from the hops, but the main hop flavor is onion and garlic. Bitterness is moderate, probably at a very good level for this beer. The malt profile is understated, with mostly a bit of cracker.

Well carbonated, a little bit oily and slightly biting from the bitterness.

Green Flash Imperial IPA has everything that a big IPA or IIPA should have, and it drinks very well for its ABV. The hops profile, however, isn't my thing. With that said, this is a well-made beer that I don't like, but I could how see others would. (1,041 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Copper in color, nice head, this beer almosts looks like your average Macro lager. Smell is piney with a small amount of grapefruit citrus. Taste is weak in this one. I am disappointed in the taste. Not a good DIPA by any means. Mouthfeel is average. I think if it tasted better I would be able to drink a ton of these since the taste is so weak. Overall, not impressed. (370 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Good looking beer, very clean with no carbonation bubbles. Aromas of light lemon but far from overly citrus. Can't believe this is a imperial ipa, not overly boozy. hoppy almost to the point where I would think this is an English style ipa. Probably not something I'd purchase again and I love every style ipa. (310 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Looks great - slightly cloudy, orangeish tint, decent lacing; pretty much textbook. A nice odor of grassy & floral hops. Unfortunately, the taste is dominated by aspirin bitterness from front to back. usually with a DIPA you get an aromatic hop hit before bitterness takes over - not here. The bitterness so dominates that other flavours are flattened. I prefer more flavourful and aromatic hops. YMMV. Mouthfeel: medium body, appealing carbonation. Reasonably quaffable overall, but nothing I'm dying to return to anytime soon. (528 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a beautiful copper color. The head is two fingers high, with a shade barely off-white.

S: This definitely fits on the piny end of the IPA spectrum. However, there's also a kiss of fruity notes - fruit candies, mainly, and even some tropical hops. I do get a bit of malt, also. Nice aroma, but not quite as enrapturing as the one from their regular West Coast IPA.

T: As expected, the focus is on pine-forward hops. It opens the beer up fairly bitterly. The finish has a faint kiss of something resembling pineapple, along with some booze and sugar cookie-esque malts. The onion-y-ness of the Summit is pretty restrained, only appearing once it warms up (but at least it's not as oniony as it would have been if was made with Mosaic...hiyo!) The best part of this brew are the twinge of tropical fruits that appear on occasion.

M: It has a coarse, astringent feel. This actually dries the beer out nicely, at the cost of feeling somewhat harsh. After a few sips, it smooths out somewhat. But still, it remains pretty bitey throughout. It isn't really easy to drink, due to the fact that it's kind of heavy-feeling, as well.

O: It's okay. Certainly, I've had far better IPAs/DIPAs (from this very brewery, actually). There's just nothing here that excites me - and I expect to be excited by a DIPA. (1,344 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Reviewed 9/25/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear honey-red colored body, with a frothy white head, good lacing and lasting. Has a grapefruity, bitter aroma. A hoppy bitter taste, real bitter, and dry. Like sticking your face in horsefeed. Rougher as it warms up. (257 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

A: Dull copper orange color with scores of little bubbles racing to the surface. Head is fairly creamy with a light beige tint to it.

S: Fresh OJ, grapefruit rind, floral hops and lemons.

T: Starts with marischino cherries and old orange juice. Lot of lymon and grapefruit rind in there as well which transitions to that "band aid" taste. Alcohol is very present and adopts the band aid flavor before handing it over to a grainy taste. Finishes really grainy with a strong herbal bitterness to it.

M: Full mouthfeel with a nice consistency to it. Probably the best part of the beer.

D: This beer just didn't work for me. Flavors weren't balanced and I found some of the aspects just not desirable. But I also wouldn't categorize this beer as bad.

D: (766 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Picked up a bomber of this one for less than five bucks, and I was pretty excited to try it. Unlike most of Green Flash's other offerings, however, this one was a major let down. This one pours a clear medium amber color, with a small, tight white head. All kinds of hops going on on the nose--citrus, earth, weed and herbs. On the palate however, the hops become too much, and dominate in an unpleasant, unbalanced sort of way. Not bad, necessarily, but nothing I'd willingly reach for again. (493 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured a nice copper orange with nice fizzy head. Nose is floral hop aroma, some biscuity malts. Nice bitterness, but its all too much in the end. Malts are very heavy. A very toasted and caramel mats flavor, more than hops it seems. Smooth and dry finish. I thought the bottle was more hopfroward. On tap was pretty harsh! Wont drink again. (341 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

I poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. The beer pours a hazy orange with a monstrous head. The head leaves clingy white lace all over the glass. IMO the smell is some what muted. There are definite pine notes, but less than what I expect with over 100 IBU's. The taste is also muted. The piney taste is there but it is not upfront, and there is not much else going on. This beer is full bodied and almost chewey. A sipper, not because of the hefty ABV, just a heavy beer. A definite dissapointment I will not buy again. (523 characters)

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.