Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Terp96 on 12-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

Tasted on January 13, 2013:

A: Pours a chestnut color. Has a good lacing and has close to an inch of foam. Foam stays for awhile.

S: Strong smell of citrus and pine. Don't smell much else. Hops are smelt in there too.

T: Very hoppy in the beginning, but not overly hoppy. Slightly sweet in the end with very strong pine notes.

M: Medium heaviness on the tongue. Still can taste the pine.

O: Not as hoppy as I was expecting for an Imperial, but still quite enjoyable. I enjoyed the taste of pine.

MaddMatt639, Feb 21, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +10%

RudnicsMEB, Feb 21, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Azrael, Feb 20, 2013
3.89/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Not too bad. A good little mellow brown. Just a shade lighter than a marine's trousers (honestly only used that comparison so I couls write "trousers") Nice head too...a bout a finger. Could be just a shade or two darker.

S: nice citrus hops flavor. lots of floral aroma. Very pleasant.

T: I'm giving this a solid four with room for improvement. It won't change your religion, but it certain makes the night a lot better.

M: Little watery on the tail end, but that can be expected with this lighter double. Hell, they may have wanted a sessionable double, so I won't knock much off.

O: It really is good. It is thirty degrees on my porch and I'm still digging it pretty hard, so it isn't just a warm weather beer. I'll def. give it a second go.

JK4Stout, Feb 19, 2013

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

DRTBrewster, Feb 07, 2013

taospowder, Feb 07, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -10%

A: Orangish-yellow, turbid like a wheat. Kinda pretty. The turbidity doesn't bother me. Nice thick, soapy head which sticks around for a minute and laces a little bit.

S: Fruity hops. Strong and green smelling. Smells about average for an IPA.

T: The first taste is good. A nice sweetness bursts with the initial hop aroma. The hop taste is less aromatic than it smells. The sweetness is stabbed in the belly by a sharp, resinous bitterness (like earwax). Okay, I can deal with that. As it goes down, the bitter turns to a burn as I taste the 9.4% ABV. Not all high alcohol beers do this. My mouth is still hot well into the second sip. About halfway through the glass, the aroma disappears, which was the main part I was enjoying. Now I am left with the sharp bitterness and an almost syrupy sweetness without a lot of malt flavor. Weird. Is it too bitter or too sweet? It's much like a debt ceiling debate between republicans and democrats. You wan't to root for one, but end up hating both. The flavors just don't work well together.

M: Nice at first while the aroma is there. Then is becomes a resinous syrup at the end that you wish would maybe thin out a little. Like a tar-burn on your skin that you can't wash off.

Low drinkability. I had difficulty choking down an entire pint. I drank it slowly enough that I was slurring before it was gone (yeah, I'm a lightweight).

IPA is not my favorite style to begin with, but some I enjoy much more than others. I would say this is a little better than most I've tried. I enjoy the aroma more than the taste, and I've smelled better. The bitterness is overpowering. I'm sure many hopheads would disagree. Overall, not a bad beer, but I wouldn't buy it again.

JoeBlow, Feb 07, 2013

WestCoastBrew2, Feb 07, 2013

scootsmal, Feb 06, 2013
4.19/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Two fingers of fluffy residual white head, hazy light orange in color. Almost looks like a light bodied wheat beer. Stellar lacing.

Aroma - Ripe citrus fruits and resin. Some pine, and some bready malts on the back end.

Taste - Loads of pine and resin. Some acidic fruit as well. Very tasty.

Feel - Pretty smooth. Fairly drinkable for an imperial ipa. Goes down easy.

Overall - Would definitely get this one again. Solid all the way around.

HomeBrewJake, Feb 05, 2013

Nocontrol1977, Feb 05, 2013

MooseBoose, Feb 01, 2013
Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.