Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Hop Head Red AleGreen Flash Hop Head Red Ale

Avg: 4
Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: sleazo on 03-06-2007

In 2011 the recipe was altered to bump the IBU’s from 55 to 70; ABV also increased from 6.4% to 7.0%. In 2014 the ABV increased to 8.1%.

A luscious beauty, Hop Head Red® exudes resinous hoppy qualities from Amarillo, Warrior and Nugget to overtake the full-bodied depths of a caramel malt base. Captivating and seductive floral aromas and alluring hop flavors are the result of dry hopping with mountains of Amarillo. The blissful union of Double India Pale and Red Ale make Hop Head Red an unforgettable obsession. Experience love at first sip. Every time.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 955 | Hads: 3,339
1.48/5  rDev -63%

Okay, I bought a six pack at a store that specializes in beers. They have a great variety. When I saw this I was excited to try it, as it isn't common to find Green Flash beer on the East Coast.

So imagine my disappointment when I opened the first bottle, and all I got was endless foam! I mean less then an inch of liquid beer in a pint glass, no matter how I poured it. I'm sure there's a reason for this excessive carbonization, but I have to judge the beer I got, and it was worthless. Every bottle was the same. Perhaps there was a storage issue, or some other reason out of the control of the brewer, but I wasted $10 on undrinkable foam. This has only happened to me once before, and I have been seeking out and drinking craft beers since I went to Europe in 1980 and discovered what real beer was all about.

I have heard plenty of raves about this brewer, so I am hoping this was not a batch of bad beer, but beer that went bad in transit. I will give it a second chance when I have the opportunity.

1.86/5  rDev -53.5%

A: A cool, nice red-orange glow when held up to light. There is a strong head on this beer, and with a light swirl, it comes right back again.

S: To preface this, I am an IPA fan. That being said, all I smell is the bitter aspect of the hops. There are no citrus or floral notes. All you get is grassy hops to be frank.

T: The smell caries over from nose to mouth. There is very little citrus or floral tones typical to IPAs, and next to no evidence of any amber or red qualities to this ale. You just get a major oily, hoppy, grassy flavor on your tongue.

M: Not much to be said here. It is pretty unremarkable. Not good, not bad. It somewhat lingers on your tongue.

O: As the title suggests, hop heads may enjoy this beer, as that is all there is. Only the bitter hop taste with nothing other than its looks to be its saving grace (kinda like Katy Perry). A good beer is a balanced beer. This one is just a bit top heavy.

2.08/5  rDev -48%

While it pours beautifully with a deep copper color and wonderful head, this brew is all looks and no personality. I hate to say it, but its nothing more than beautifully hopped dishwater... For anything more in depth just read the previous low reviews. I couldn't agree more with them. (And I love Reds... and strong or highly hopped beers)

2.18/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Bottled: unk

Ugly brown with flecks of yeast and a solid sheet of fine creamy foam. Smells like malt, some spice and more malt. Not really picking up any hops on the nose here. Taste is bitter and malty with some bits of tea and bitter - well bitter. medium bodied with medium carb and a dry finish. Not impressed. Wish I knew how old this was.

2.4/5  rDev -40%

Best By: 11/08/14

Appearance: Extremely hazy, murky brown color with an extremely small head...literally just a thin layer that doesn't even cover the whole top of the beer, that goes away quickly.

Aroma: I pick up pine and some caramel. I feel that it's important to note that the label states "Amarillo Dry-Hopped" and I get none of that classic Amarillo aroma here. Very limited aroma.

Taste: I get a pronounced tea leaf flavor, some pine, there is a sweet caramel flavor.

Feel: Medium bitterness, low carbonation, medium body texture.

Overall: I wasn't impressed by the beer. It wasn't a "Hop Head" beer in my opinion, and it wasn't that great of a red ale either. Very disappointed in the lack of Amarillo flavor and aroma. I would skip this one.

2.46/5  rDev -38.5%

This beer pours a hazy, copper color with very little head but lace that lasts. The aroma is fruity with a hint of caramel, It's flavor has notes of grapefruit, caramel, toffee, and a strong hop bitterness and mild malt sweetness. The bitterness, while leaving an aftertaste in the finish, mellows as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium. Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale is a decent beer, smooth and dry. Recommended.

2.47/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of nice thickness, okay cream, and respectable retention. Colour is a semitransparent copper-amber.

Sm: Bittering hops are all me broken nose detects.

T: Bittering hops are tamed, which I like. Caramel is in there as well. Moderately complex, but more importantly balanced. I like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Complements the flavour of the body in a general sense.

Dr: Very drinkable, above average ABV, and fairly priced. I'd certainly have it again if it were on draught.

04/23/15 Nutshell impressions:

Appearance is decent, playing to the ostensible imperial red elements with an amber-hued body colour. The head suggests overcarbonation, but has decent creaminess and thickness. Not a bad looking beer by any means, but far from unique or special.

Aroma immediately betrays this beer's obvious overhoppiness, with scattered notes of cotton candy, floral hops, and vague fruit. Sweet caramalt and generic pale malt add little, and I even find the beginnings of candi sugar notes. Not a pleasant aroma by any means. Aromatic intensity is moderate to high.

Taste is as obnoxiously aggressive and off-the-mark as the aroma, if not moreso. Soapiness indicates too much time spent in primary. The hop profile is lacking, bringing only underwhelming notes of imbalanced floral hops, caramalt, pale malts, vague fruit, cotton candy, and candi sugar. Too sweet but also strangely resinous to no good effect.

Texture is coating. Medium-bodied and overcarbonated. Artificial presence on the palate. Poorly executed. There's no harmony of texture to taste.

Overall, it's not a gestalt beer and offers nothing of interest within its style. More garbage from one of the USA's most misguided breweries. I'd avoid this; it's a poorly executed beer even outside of style conventions - let alone as an imperial IPA or red ale.

D+ (2.47)

2.55/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams cup

A- Murky copper body, floaties everywhere, 1/2" bubbly off white head (something tells me this isn't how its suppose to look...)

S- Dank, funky hops, biscuit malts

T- Funky hops, not in a good way...

M- Medium bodied, average carbonation

O- I'm seriously thinking i got a bad batch, every Green Flash i've tried has been awesome, but i'm basically forcing myself to finish this one. No dates on the bottles or box, i might have to give this one another shot some other time.

2.65/5  rDev -33.8%

12OZs poured into a cone pint glass...

A: A murky deep reddish brew with a 1 inch head...Good lacing...

S: Sweet caramel in the nose blended nicely with a floral hop aroma. Some rye and mild citrus scents bring up the back...

T: A sweet sugary malt upfront starts out on the palate and slowly your taste buds become submerged in a light easy drinking watery hop bite. The bite resonates through to the backend...Not very balanced...

M: medium body with a heavy carbonation. A sweet and dry finish..

O: Kind of a 'WEIRD-BEER'...Also, I think it is mis-categorized. This one is more of an amber than an IPA. The hop seems too subtle for a standard american IPA, but does have a nice hop malt balance which seems more characteristic of an amber ale. If you're looking for a standard hop bomb, this is not for you. If you want a beer that blends sweet malt with a mild hop bitterness, then this is for you. Again, too weird, no thanks!!

2.72/5  rDev -32%

Pours a dark yet clear copper amberWith a great, well sustained head and foam. Cathedral like lacin sticks to my glass after each sip.Smells like super rich hop oil. Almost like they through a ton of hops in the brew kettle and some hop oil as well. Maybe just a hint of bread in the aroma. A bit too oily smelling for my taste. The taste and palate are hop oily and a carbonated hop oil with maybe some bread. The hops are just a bit over done and just linger on my palate way to long. For a beer I was thinking might be sessionable, is just almost oppressive to my nose and palate.

2.76/5  rDev -31%

Pours a ruby brown,with a fluffy tan head. Excellent retention,and laceing. Aroma is of grassy piney hops,and some carmel malts. Body is medium with some carbonation. Taste was a bad mix of hops and malts. Just didn't taste right to me. Finish left a bad taste. I expected a lot better. Looks like I'm in the minority though.maybe I got a bad bottle.

2.8/5  rDev -30%

Poured into a sampler glass. Nice red/ amber color with a decent head that quickly goes to a thin ring. Not much lacing. Very herbal and hoppy aroma, pine scented too. Very powerful flavor that just was not for me. Tasted like fresh mowed grass, hoppy grass that is and an herbal tea. Maybe this one did not mix well with the other beers in this session for me. I will say my son loved it.

2.81/5  rDev -29.8%

New red label with 7% abv, so I'm pretty sure it's fresh.

Pours out a cloudy red with amber highlights. A very thin bone white head which doesn't stick around for very long.

I'm not getting a whole lot from the aroma. Perhaps a bit of caramel with a strong metallic component. Some grassy hops are also noted.

Tastes pretty much the way it smells. Some bitter, grassy, metallic flavors, followed by a dry and herbal grassy finish. The malt base here is pretty weak, consisting of mostly caramel and biscuit like flavors. There's not a whole lot of complexity here. Some dry aspirin-like flavors from the hops are noted as well.

The mouthfeel is pretty decent overall. It's a medium bodied ale with some light carbonation. Pretty nice actually.

Overall this doesn't impress me too much. I was really hoping to
find an imperial red ale similar to the one that Lagunitas used to
make. I think that a little bit more malt complexity would go a long way. I admit that I'm a sucker for a hoppy red ale, but there are a few others out there that I would choose over this one.

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%

A: Slightly cloudy blood colored honey with a thin foam and crisp clear bubbles.

S: Lemon cotton candy with floral background.

T: Mildly dry, with copper.

M: Creamy caramel with mild acidity.

O: Decent red IPA, could use more hops. May prove too dry for some tastes.

2.86/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Pours a deep mahogany with an averaged sized head that leaves average lacing.

S: Resinous hops, and caramel malts.

T: I was picking up strong notes of caramel, some roasted coffee, and piny hops. The finish is like drinking black coffee.

M: Average mouthfeel. I was getting a lot of brown ale characteristics from this one, so I was expecting a thicker mouthfeel.

D: I was having trouble finishing this one. It might have been because I was 6 beers deep, but I wasn't really feeling it.

2.88/5  rDev -28%

Poured a very clouded amber. Not much in the way of a head. Smell is rather mild. Which is a bit surprising when you get the first sip which attacks you with dry hops. You would expect something this highly hopped to have more of an aroma. Odd. There isn't much to this beer other than hops. This is a decent beer to get your hop fix on but nothing extraordinary. Kind of a bit raw tasting. Mouthfeel is decent enough. Medium body medium carbonation.

2.93/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a lovely redish brown color with perfect cap of soapy off white head, good retention and amazingly sticky lacing. Scent is hops hops and more hops... heavy notes of pine, aggressive rye like spice, fresh cut grass, herbal tea. Taste brings exactly what the scent dictated... hugely aggressive hoping, very fresh but simply off putting. Faint notes of a heavy carmel backbone do little to cover the taste. Heavier side of medium bodied with a coating presence and long libgering spicy aftertaste. Not for me at all.

2.93/5  rDev -26.8%

Served in a tumbler. I do not like reds typically, but I'm giving this one a shot since I love Green Flash's IPA and DIPA.

A: Aggressive pour yields 2/3 finger eggshell colored head with good retention. Cloudy dark reddish-brown.

S: Dank and citrus hops. Slight sweetness. Smells like an IPA with no malty "redness".

T: Grapefruity hops and flat, slightly bland or metallic malt. This is just like reds I'm not a fan of with a lot of hops added in. It doesn't cover up the red flavor. Bummer.

M: Unpleasant and clashy, like hoppy dishwater unfortunately.

D: I'm intrigued to take sips because Green Flash couldn't have made something I dislike this much could they? They did :-(

2.94/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Approximately two fingers from a relatively firm beige froth sitting on top. Brew is light brown and mahogany with particles floating everywhere. It's pretty gorgeous, especially with the great retention and white spiderweb lacing.
S: Really biscuity on the nose from the malts, with just a hint of pine at the back.
T: Taste is the about the same, with the toasted biscuit dominating the floral hop bitterness. I get a bit of metal in the flavor, but this is back and forth between hoppy and toasted. The two flavors don't seem to meld together at any point. There is also a really disappointing sourness/astringency.
M: Light to medium body with medium carbonation. Really great mouthfeel...nice and full on the palate.
D: I would be more than willing to review this again, maybe on tap? This was just a disappointing experience for me.

3.07/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Pours a really dark amber with a thick creamy head. Nice lacing. A nice, balanced aroma of earthiness and some sweet fruit. Flavor is earthy, a touch of some toffee, and a little fruity. A nice crisp, active thinner mouthfeel that suits the beer quite well. Overall, a solid brew but nothing that has me needing to go out and grab some more.

3.08/5  rDev -23%

A: Cloudy, deep amber color with moderate head. Nice lacing with each sip.

S: Pine, juniper, and citrus over heavy bread. The combination hints of some harsh flavor.

T: Aroma is accurate to the flavor. Bitterness of hops overwhelms any fruit or malt flavors. It is difficult for me to describe other than the taste is underwhelming. While I like a good IPA, something is lost in this combination.

M: Good body and carbonation.

O: I am a fan of red ales with a hoppy finish. Green Flash make a valiant attempt to take a step further with mixed results. I would like to try it on tap since hops that have been on the shelf for a while can become harsh and lose their balance. Right now I find the Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale a much better beer than the IPA version.

3.1/5  rDev -22.5%

A: pours a clear ruby with a finger of white head that rades into q frothy ring with a little lacing.

S: some slight caramel malts with lots of grapefruit and piny hops. Simple, but pleasant.

T: lots of piny, grassy hop notes with some touches of grapefruit. Dry, lightly bitter finish. Very plain.

M: medium body with a good amount or carbonation, this beer is surprisingly dry and crisp which doesn't fit the flavors well.

O: not that good of a beer. The flavor lacks depth and the very dry body is a bit odd for the style.

3.1/5  rDev -22.5%

Deep mahogany with a thich tan bubbled head this is a very promising looking beer. This is backed up with a deep tea and hop aroma. Indeed, the first sip has a great hop bite with signature red undertones. Their is a pleasant caramel base behind it with a good creamy mouthfeel. However, the hops are soon overshadowed by the malts and all that's left is the hoppy aftertaste. In this case, the lingering bitterness is quite unpleasant.

Really, I wanted to like this beer because the mouthfeel and aroma were so good as well as the malt tastes. However, by the bottom of the glass I couldn't really see my self having another.

3.13/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Poured a reddish hazy copper color, not see through with about a half inch head. nice lacing as well.

S - grassy and citruisy hops are dominant. roasted malts are present as well.

Taste - at first you get sweet malts and as you swallow you get hit with the hops you smelled in the nose. bitter grassy and piney finish.

M- Carbonation is perfect. pretty drinkable as well.

over all this was a good beer. not my style. loved their "west coast ipa".

3.15/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no date stamp (that I could find anyway) poured into my 32 oz mug

a: pours a "tea" dark amber, 1 finger head which reduced to a thin film after about a minute and stuck around for a while; some significant lacing down the sides of the glass.

s: very hop forward on the nose, along with some citrusy fruits in the background.

t: taste is the same as the smell, hops in the opening act followed by the caramel malt and citrus with a little bitter bite at the end that stays with you in between sips.

m: medium carbonation, not too many prickly bubbles, but that's okay with this beer's medium body. comes off clean and somewhat crisp.

o: while this is not a bad beer, it's not a great IPA and it's not a great Red Ale. I'm kind of undecided here. I'd get it again if I saw it on a store shelf, but I wouldn't seek it out. That being said, if you haven't tried it, it's worth at least that. Since there's only 4 in a pack, I think this could pass for a very short session.

Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.