Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Hop Head Red AleGreen Flash Hop Head Red Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.10% ABV

In 2011 the recipe was altered to bump the IBU’s from 55 to 70; ABV also increased from 6.4% to 7.0%. In 2014 the ABV increased to 8.1%.

A luscious beauty, Hop Head Red® exudes resinous hoppy qualities from Amarillo, Warrior and Nugget to overtake the full-bodied depths of a caramel malt base. Captivating and seductive floral aromas and alluring hop flavors are the result of dry hopping with mountains of Amarillo. The blissful union of Double India Pale and Red Ale make Hop Head Red an unforgettable obsession. Experience love at first sip. Every time.

(Beer added by: sleazo on 03-06-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale Alström Bros

1.4/5  rDev -64.7%

Okay, I bought a six pack at a store that specializes in beers. They have a great variety. When I saw this I was excited to try it, as it isn't common to find Green Flash beer on the East Coast.

So imagine my disappointment when I opened the first bottle, and all I got was endless foam! I mean less then an inch of liquid beer in a pint glass, no matter how I poured it. I'm sure there's a reason for this excessive carbonization, but I have to judge the beer I got, and it was worthless. Every bottle was the same. Perhaps there was a storage issue, or some other reason out of the control of the brewer, but I wasted $10 on undrinkable foam. This has only happened to me once before, and I have been seeking out and drinking craft beers since I went to Europe in 1980 and discovered what real beer was all about.

I have heard plenty of raves about this brewer, so I am hoping this was not a batch of bad beer, but beer that went bad in transit. I will give it a second chance when I have the opportunity.

1.75/5  rDev -55.9%

1.83/5  rDev -53.9%

A: A cool, nice red-orange glow when held up to light. There is a strong head on this beer, and with a light swirl, it comes right back again.

S: To preface this, I am an IPA fan. That being said, all I smell is the bitter aspect of the hops. There are no citrus or floral notes. All you get is grassy hops to be frank.

T: The smell caries over from nose to mouth. There is very little citrus or floral tones typical to IPAs, and next to no evidence of any amber or red qualities to this ale. You just get a major oily, hoppy, grassy flavor on your tongue.

M: Not much to be said here. It is pretty unremarkable. Not good, not bad. It somewhat lingers on your tongue.

O: As the title suggests, hop heads may enjoy this beer, as that is all there is. Only the bitter hop taste with nothing other than its looks to be its saving grace (kinda like Katy Perry). A good beer is a balanced beer. This one is just a bit top heavy.

1.96/5  rDev -50.6%

2.05/5  rDev -48.4%

While it pours beautifully with a deep copper color and wonderful head, this brew is all looks and no personality. I hate to say it, but its nothing more than beautifully hopped dishwater... For anything more in depth just read the previous low reviews. I couldn't agree more with them. (And I love Reds... and strong or highly hopped beers)

2.16/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Bottled: unk

Ugly brown with flecks of yeast and a solid sheet of fine creamy foam. Smells like malt, some spice and more malt. Not really picking up any hops on the nose here. Taste is bitter and malty with some bits of tea and bitter - well bitter. medium bodied with medium carb and a dry finish. Not impressed. Wish I knew how old this was.

2.36/5  rDev -40.6%

2.43/5  rDev -38.8%

Best By: 11/08/14

Appearance: Extremely hazy, murky brown color with an extremely small head...literally just a thin layer that doesn't even cover the whole top of the beer, that goes away quickly.

Aroma: I pick up pine and some caramel. I feel that it's important to note that the label states "Amarillo Dry-Hopped" and I get none of that classic Amarillo aroma here. Very limited aroma.

Taste: I get a pronounced tea leaf flavor, some pine, there is a sweet caramel flavor.

Feel: Medium bitterness, low carbonation, medium body texture.

Overall: I wasn't impressed by the beer. It wasn't a "Hop Head" beer in my opinion, and it wasn't that great of a red ale either. Very disappointed in the lack of Amarillo flavor and aroma. I would skip this one.

2.48/5  rDev -37.5%

This beer pours a hazy, copper color with very little head but lace that lasts. The aroma is fruity with a hint of caramel, It's flavor has notes of grapefruit, caramel, toffee, and a strong hop bitterness and mild malt sweetness. The bitterness, while leaving an aftertaste in the finish, mellows as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium. Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale is a decent beer, smooth and dry. Recommended.

2.5/5  rDev -37%

Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.