Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale
No picture uploaded.

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.10% ABV

In 2011 the recipe was altered to bump the IBU’s from 55 to 70; ABV also increased from 6.4% to 7.0%. In 2014 the ABV increased to 8.1%.

A luscious beauty, Hop Head Red® exudes resinous hoppy qualities from Amarillo, Warrior and Nugget to overtake the full-bodied depths of a caramel malt base. Captivating and seductive floral aromas and alluring hop flavors are the result of dry hopping with mountains of Amarillo. The blissful union of Double India Pale and Red Ale make Hop Head Red an unforgettable obsession. Experience love at first sip. Every time.

(Beer added by: sleazo on 03-06-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle received from THECPJ. Cheers, Shane!

A - Pours a cloudy reddish-gold with a thin white head that dissipates fairly quick, leaving a haze and some soapy lacing.
S - Caramel malt, floral hops, pine resin, grapefruit and orange peel.
T - Sweet and sticky grapefruit and pine resin with a toffee and caramel malt backbone. Nicely balanced between the sweet malt and the bitter, pithy hops.
M - Slightly sticky with a medium body and crisp carbonation.
D - Pretty good, perhaps a bit sweet for my tastes.

jsanford, Jan 20, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1%

Bitter start with a crisp finish.

Just as you're about to pucker, it levels out to a sweet, creamy, malt flavor. It smells more bitter than it tastes. Once I got three or four sips in, it got better.

It pours a dark red and was a little lighter than I was expecting. I'm a fan of the taste throughout.

AdamF, Jan 18, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a snifter, got alot of floaters in this one, It must be bottle conditioned. Pours a nice deep red mahagony. not much of a head

Aroma is full of west coast hop aroma, slightly garlicy, with a good amount of dank, lots of citrus backing nots and caramel.

Taste is very green, but has a good toffee, white chocolate fudge and biscuit backbone. The bitterness is high, this is a good primer beer for a west coast ipa. I love the amount of hop flavor here.

Overall I like this beer, and would recomend

LukeD23, Jan 04, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Amber in color with red hues. There's a ring of white head around the edge. Very little carbonation.
S: Citrus hops with caramel malt undertones.
T: Very watery flavor. Toned-down hoppiness with a bit of caramel malt.
M: Soft mouthfeel, but a very thin, watery beer.

goalie33, Dec 21, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my St. Bernardus glass.

A - Dark red in color small head that disappears pretty fast but leaving some very nice lacing and lots of bubbles/carbonation.

S - Dank and musty with some citrus and pine but not overwhelming...not smelling the chocolate like reported on other reviews...smells pretty good overall.

T - Very bitter upfront and all the way through, lots of pine and resin. Can also taste some lemon and biutter grapefruit...pretty tasty.

M - Oily and carbonated but goes down smooth considering how bitter it is.

D - Pretty decent session beer not noticing any strong alcohol taste...all in all a pretty good offereing from Green Flash...I would drink it again forsher.

LevitatedEep, Dec 20, 2010

Popurs a deep rusty red that's slightly hazy with some yeast floaties meandering about. Light tan head doesn't last long. The aroma is abundant with both grapefruit and caramel. There's also some floral hoppiness and a hint of chocolate. This extends into the taste as well. It doesn't really get to a point where one smell or taste dominates the other. Pretty well balanced, I guess. I don't get a lot of pine, personally, but it is there if you look for it. Rich and creamy with a slightly resinous feel to this medium leaning toward full bodied beer. Goes down extremely easy. While I appreciate the well balanced nature of this beer, with a name like Hop Head I expected it to be completely hop dominant. All in all, it's a good beer, I was just hoping for a different profile.

alkemy, Dec 19, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Pours a dark red with a small off white head. Nice retention and decent lacing.

S: Piney and hoppy. Amarillo hops all the way.

T: Very sweet taste, hops don't overwhelm you. Nice dry aftertaste.

MF: Medium bodied, a little creamy, without noticeable carbonation.

D: Higher than I would expect from the smell. Smoother drink than your average Red Ale.

russwbeck, Dec 16, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Had on tap at Yard House.

To me the style Red Ale is hard to pin point.

Poured a darker amber/red with white head and amazing lacing.

The smell and taste to this beer is very similar to a Pale Ale but it has a bit more complexity. Its a smooth med mouthfeel and on the mid tongue you can taste some bready malt but as it goes down it quickly switches to bitter hops and a dry finish.

Another great Green Flash!

Eriktheipaman, Dec 05, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer poured a dark copper color with a two finger high off-white head. The head stayed for the life of the beer and the lacing was thick and sticky. The initial smell of the beer was that of citrus and pine. The initial taste of the beer was that of citrus and pine, but there was a heavy resin presence to the beer. The brew was dry and had a full body with medium carbonation.

I really enjoyed this beer and I'm especially glad that I had it on tap. Everything about it was enjoyable, including the color and head on this beer, which was superb and perfect. Also worth noting is that this beer has an IPA, almost DIPA feel to it.

Mancer, Nov 28, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Great new bottles from Green Flash. I love their shape...

Pours a gorgeous, heavily hazed ruddy brown under candescent lighting. Thick and rich in color with a 1/2 inch frothy head with great lacing. Average retention. This beer looks amazing resting in my Erdinger Weissbier pint glass.

Smells of citrus, like grapefruit and light tangerine. I also get a pine essence in it. Nice...

Wet (versus dry mouthful). Medium to full bodied in flavor. Slight amount of alcohol heat mixed with a wave of fresh, pine-filled hops. Very refreshing, a meal in a bottle! (I know because it was my dinner tonight :)

beachbum1975, Nov 28, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

I am an unfair judge as this is one of my faorite styles of beer. American hopped, malty sweet, high ABV red/amber ales. mmm.

solid red color. good carbonation. decent khaki colored head. ring on the glass from every sip.

Smells like American Ale yeast, and citrus grapefruit hop aroma.

tastes really fresh! I could have one, I could six. I like this beer a lot. Good bitterness paired with some nice sweet crystal malt. Decent ABV that is hardly knoticeable. this beer would age well, and changed quite a bit.

Heady brewing company. Like a hoppy Founders (who makes excelent similarly priced malty beers.)

mlazzaro, Nov 24, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +2%

It pours a translucid ruby-red color with a huge creamy beige head that lasts forever. Lacing and retention are amazing. Gorgeous beer!

Aroma is very hoppy with tangerine, grapefruit and freshly cut grass. Some charamel malts are also there.

Taste is very fresh with orange and grassy hop presence that soon turns very bitter and lingers for a while. I sincerely don't get that much malt charachter so, as far as taste goes, this is much like an IPA to me.

Body is medium with high carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter and pleasant.

Great refreshing beer from Green Flash. I got my daily hop fix from this one.

paulozanello, Nov 22, 2010

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a murky amber/brown colour with a nice size beige soapy head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some very nice lacing. The head lasted for several minutes before it was gone.

Smell - hops, brown sugar, malts

Taste & Mouth - There is a fairly high level of carbonation and the beer has a very full bodied taste. The most noticeable flavours are hops and a brown sugar sweetness. There is also lots of malt and pine flavour. The beer finishes with a bitter sweet hop aftertaste.

Drink - A really good brew; it reminded me of a scaled down version of Pliny the Elder. Worth seeking out.

spinrsx, Nov 21, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. I can't see a freshness date on here but given the hop aromas I can already get, it must be pretty fresh.

Look: despite a conservative pour, the head is kind of out of control. Its a 4 finger head that's a little off white. I'm okay with the extra large sized head so I won't hold it against it that much. Red beer is probably my favorite color for a beer so this one really does it for me. It is ruby red. Additionally, bits of yeast and sediment are floating around in there too along with some carbonation bubbles. As the mega huge lace is disappearing, its already leaving sticky lace along the sides of my glass. Excellent looking beer.

Smell: serious Amarillo hops! Amarillo is one of my favorite hop strains so I'm looking forward to drinking this already. Also smells like caramel and a little orange. Smells amazing.

Taste: surprisingly, fairly different from the nose. There's a bit of sweetness in there somewhere but its very hop centric, with some serious resin flavor. The malt flavor is kind of biscuity, with a little toasted malt as well. I'm surprised to see this listed as an Amber/Red Ale and not some kind of Red IPA, because that's what this tastes like.

Feel: I think the beer's initial burst of carbonation has run out because this is a little on the flat side now, which is a shame because I could see this being better if it was a little more crisp. Its still a fine mouthfeel, with the bitterness taking a front seat with the sweetness of the malt dangling precariously from the rear bumper. This is exceptionally bitter. The alcohol is hidden well and there's no bite from the alcohol.

Drink: while it is very good, I don't know how many of these I could sit down and have. I'm happy with the one in front of me but I don't think I'd ask for a second.

Overall, this is a beer that every serious hop head needs to check out. That said, I wish it were a bit maltier. I like reds for the malt and even though I expected this to be hoppy, I didn't expect it to be THIS hoppy. Still, definitely worth checking out and I'll probably end up having this guy again. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Nov 19, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: a beautiful blood red with an amazing one and a half finger yellow head with impressive retention and thick, sticky lacing.

S: grassy, pine-y hops as strong as hop pellets. The hops are I get apart form a hint of malt in the background.

T: pretty much a hop bomb, but fresh with nice grassy, earthy aromatics and a bitter bite, balanced by a caramel-y sweetness from the malt. Finish is bittersweet.

M: medium bodied, good carb, dry finish.

D: a little underwhelming. As mentioned in the taste, I would characterize this as one of many hop bombs out there. Nothing much distinguishes this from the masses, and I'm not sure what is red about this apart from the color, but it also has decent drinkability, so I can't hate on it too much. My only critique is that it's a little unoriginal and it fails to deliver as a red ale.

nickhiller, Nov 19, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz bottle from 4-pack purchased at local Whole Foods. No dates on bottle.
Hazy, copper liquid, tan, thin head, belgian lace.
Mild hop fragrance, slight citrus and pine.
Smooth, bitterness abuts a nice biscuit backbone.
I would prefer more Amarillo hops and less malt, especially for a brew labeled "Hop Head". But it's tough to beat Founder's Red's Rye.
Overall a nice balanced red ale.

CaptCleveland, Nov 16, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle with no Freshness date. Pours a murky rust color with some sediment floating around. No head and some good lacing. Great aroma of piney hops. Slight hint of malts. Taste is more of that big hop aroma. A good piney flavor with a nice bitterness. This is a great hoppy red ale.

PicoPapa, Nov 08, 2010

Hop Head Red is one of those beers that strikes you because it keeps up the high hopping levels that I love in a beer while teaming it with a great malt profile that supports the beer and the hops. The pour is good with a nice, fluffy off-white head contrasting with the red body. The aroma combines those citrussy West Coast hops with a light bit of malt (and unfortunately a touch of dustiness). The flavour comes down to a balance between citrussy, piney, resinous hops and the caramel, toffee malts of the red ale. The body is neither thick nor insipid which is nice in a beer like this and it helps to make it feel like you can drink more.

dgilks, Nov 07, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

On tap at Bodega. Naturally its served in a crappy shaker pint. This place needs better glassware. Perhaps Ill start requesting a wine glass, but thats neither here nor there.

A- Red for sure. Its a clouded rusty red color. A small head is probably the result of the bartender's habit of pouring off the foam to give the customer more beer. No matter, this is still a decent looking beer.

S- If there is one California brewery that is more synonymous with hops than Sierra Nevada, Green Flash would be that brewery. A lot of pine and some citrus. Some malts come through, which are very welcomed by my nostrils.

T- Very hoppy, but I was glad to taste some malts. They are a rich type of malt that give it an almost chocolatey flavor. This is still secondary to massive pine and grapefruit/citrus rind hops.

When IPAs have gotten too monotonous, this is a great beer to turn to.

MbpBugeye, Nov 06, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Pours a murky reddish-orange color with a very frothy, one finger cream colored head with excellent retention. There is significant lacing that sticks and stays there. There is also a wee bit white sediment hanging around the bottom. A great looking brew.

S - Very strong and pleasant smell. A good balance of pine and citrus hops with some slight sweet malts to even it out. Very nice.

T - Amazing balance here. There is a great mixture of floral and citrus hops mixed with some sweet caramel malts. The after taste is a very creamy with some bitter pine hops for this finish. Wonderful.

M - This is so smooth. Reminds me of a good Sweet Stout. Perfect amount of carbonation dances on my tongue. Incredible

D - Even though very good this is really the only category that leaves something to be desired. While these are very easy to drink, I feel they could sit a wee bit better with my palette. Overall, an amazing brew.

LairdChisholm, Nov 04, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +4%

Bomber poured into a globe glass

A-- Poured a dark crimson color. Light brown head that settled at one finger, nice and fluffy head. Good head retention and some nice rings of lacing with the beer.

S-- Citrus, carmel, and pine. Orange, lemon, grapefruit stand out well and has good doses of pine in this. Good malt background mixed in.

T-- Orange peel, Grapefruit, pine and Carmel. Very forward fruit and pine taste with flashes of carmel. Good first bite to this.

M-- Well balanced. Shows flashes of everything real nicely. Lower medium carbonation and medium feel. Pine sticks around a nice long time after you finish each sip.

D-- Well hidden ABV and just plain drinkable. Can have 2 bombers easily and would want more. One of the styles Australian breweries just do not do and they should.

mulder1010, Nov 02, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - The appearence is a deep reddish copper that pours a couple of centimetres of off white head that slowly falls away leaving a bit of lace
S - Caramel malt aroma with some lovely piney, floral & grapefruit hop notes.
T - Rich caramel malt flavour but not cloying which is wonderful. Grapefruit, piney & floral also in the taste.
M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, lingering bitterness.
D - I could drink this all day long. Until I fall over anyway.

brendan13, Oct 31, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +2%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

This brew is really gorgeous. Nice hint of red, obviously, but the cloudiness swirls around and give the beer a nice look. Head is off-white and puffy; almost too big even with a careful pour.

Smell is right on for what I was expecting. Nice blast of hops, and pretty thick.

Taste is as anticipated as well. The red gives this one a nice bite at first, and the hops come in at the tail end and really give a piney whack. The hops are resiny and stick for a while, while the initial bite comes and goes quickly. There is also a bit of a fruity kick in the background... I can't put my finger on it, but hopefully I'll peg it by the end of this six pack. Good complexity to this one.

The mouthfeel is dense, which I expected when I saw the cloudiness. The head sticks around for the entire brew, which added a little wrinkle to the flavors.

Drinkability is high. Good solid flavor, and the ABV is reasonable to session. The price is high for this brewer in my area, which doesn't necessarily influence my score, but is a little unfortunate.

stonermouse, Oct 30, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured a brownish amber into a pint glass with two fingers of creamy white head. Strong aroma of sweet caramel malt balanced by hoppy grapefruit and pine.

Moderate carbonation and a full mouthfeel. Complex malt sweetness with notes of caramel and vanilla is quickly overtaken by citrus hops, which dominate the lingering bitter finish.

Excellent drinkability. The flavors are a little two dimensional, but each element is executed extremely well. I wasn't expecting this brew to make as much of an impression as the West Coast IPA, but was very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.

grittybrews, Oct 25, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Hop Head pours a deep amber color with about a finger of tight, light khaki head. Retention is okay, as is the lacing that remains.

Smell: Caramel malt, and sticky, resinous pine and hops. Not overly complex but very balanced and pleasant.

Taste: Caramel malts up front, with sticky pine in the middle with a medium amount of hop bitterness at the end. I also get some coffee-like bitterness in the aftertaste, which is unexpected but not at all unpleasant. Gives an extra layer of flavor.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This is a nice solid medium-bodied beer that is smooth and creamy going down. Drinkability is high, this is an extremely balanced beer that is not too heavy and flat out nice all the way around.

zhanson88, Oct 24, 2010
Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.