Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Hop Head Red AleGreen Flash Hop Head Red Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: sleazo on 03-06-2007

In 2011 the recipe was altered to bump the IBU’s from 55 to 70; ABV also increased from 6.4% to 7.0%. In 2014 the ABV increased to 8.1%.

A luscious beauty, Hop Head Red® exudes resinous hoppy qualities from Amarillo, Warrior and Nugget to overtake the full-bodied depths of a caramel malt base. Captivating and seductive floral aromas and alluring hop flavors are the result of dry hopping with mountains of Amarillo. The blissful union of Double India Pale and Red Ale make Hop Head Red an unforgettable obsession. Experience love at first sip. Every time.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

3.96/5  rDev -0.3%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on December 8, 2013.

Slightly cloudy medium amber pour with a modest head that leaves a little soapy lacing on the glass.

The aroma is mainly malt forward with a big of earth and pine in the hop notes. Moderate sweetness on the nose as well considering it is meant to be a hoppy beer.

The body is medium and smooth with some astringency,

The taste has a full malt flavor to the point that it almost makes me think of a weaker barleywine or scotch ale. There is most definitely a kick of bitterness after all the malts explode in my mouth.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

1.48/5  rDev -62.7%

Okay, I bought a six pack at a store that specializes in beers. They have a great variety. When I saw this I was excited to try it, as it isn't common to find Green Flash beer on the East Coast.

So imagine my disappointment when I opened the first bottle, and all I got was endless foam! I mean less then an inch of liquid beer in a pint glass, no matter how I poured it. I'm sure there's a reason for this excessive carbonization, but I have to judge the beer I got, and it was worthless. Every bottle was the same. Perhaps there was a storage issue, or some other reason out of the control of the brewer, but I wasted $10 on undrinkable foam. This has only happened to me once before, and I have been seeking out and drinking craft beers since I went to Europe in 1980 and discovered what real beer was all about.

I have heard plenty of raves about this brewer, so I am hoping this was not a batch of bad beer, but beer that went bad in transit. I will give it a second chance when I have the opportunity.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.