1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,623 | Reviews: 676 | Show All Ratings:
jtierney89

Doing a vertical tasting on this beer with two bottles. A fresh one (or at least 4 months fresh) and another bottle who's age I'm unsure of. It's at least one year and at most 2 or somewhere in between. I can only tell by label differences between the two bottles since the older bottle has no born on date. But it'll be fun to see how this Belgian IPA tastes fresh and how aging it might effect the trippel side of this beer. I'll score taking all factors into consideration with less of the score being based on the aged portion of the beer unless its extremely delicious to try to be as fair to the beer as possible.

No real color difference between the too in both the head and the liquid. The older one seems to have a bit more of an amber hue to it but not much. Nose is radically different though. The fresh one smells like funky skunky weed while the older one has a very fruity tootsie roll aroma. The head on the fresher one seems to have better retention but both have good lacing. Both are pretty cloudy as well.

Now:

Earthy skunky weed smell with citric and clove undertones. Faint banana smell. Belgian and IPA like at the same time. A bit yeasty as well.

On the heavier side of medium body. Subtle sweetness.Citric grapefruit tart on the mid palate washes away quickly into a spicy and earthy bitterness. Bitterness is high. but comes and goes in a flash rounded out by softer belgian flavors. A really strange mismatch of belgian subtlety and flashes of west coast ipas. Not sure how well it works together. A bit of alcohol heat accompanies the finish. Complexity is there but not sure if it's a good complexity. Not as refreshing as other tripels.

1-2 Years of Age:

Big strawberry jam nose. Some other berry fruits mixed in. Nothing you get from the newer beer though.

Slightly less carbonation. Oddly enough still some balance and bitterness. A bit sweeter up front with jammy fruit flavors throughout. Tart is a bit bigger on this one but instead of hitting you all at once it kind of rolls over the tongue. Flavors are a bit more concentrated in this one rather than layered. Caramel and toffee on the sides of the tongue. For having such sweet flavors it finishes amazingly dry. Notes of peaches and mango.
Alcohol heat on the back end is a bit more pronounced.

Overview:

The fresher version is much cleaner but has a lot of odd tart and mixed up flavors. They all really dont blend all too great together. I think I prefer this one with the age despite it feeling a little heavier due to the sweeter flavors. The beer gets a lot more complex with time and a lot of great fruit flavors are aloud to come out. The hop presence and the belgian influence just dont seem to work so letting the beer age the hop flavors out is kind of nice. None the less, I wasn't incredibly impressed with this beer fresh or aged. Fresh was just too all over the place despite it being so clean. Aged is kind of nice and exhibits some unique fruit flavors but they're not good enough to store away the beer for such a time. On top of this the flavors get kind of muddied and you can find cleaner belgians ready to drink now with similar qualities.

04-25-2012 02:02:56 | More by jtierney89
brewdlyhooked13

2.17/5  rDev -46.2%

Appearance - pours a clear coppery gold into a shaker pint. Two generous fingers of foam form up with a pale yellow cast. Smooth and pocky, it settles down leaving impressive lacing all around. Lots of beading from underneath make this quite a looker. The bottom-bomber pour clouds up the glass considerably, but the streams of bubbles sustain throughout.

Aroma - wisps of grain and citrus appear among the classic Belgian funkiness.

Taste - some sweet light grain up front, not much to it. The ensuing hoppiness is much like an assault. Full bitterness, extreme medicinals going on here. Combining with the Belgian yeasty/funky taste, this contains two of my least favorite flavors, creating a synergy that will take all of my willpower and determination to endure. The swallow is unbelievably bitter, dry and tasteless except for some Orval-like Robitussin/medicinal stuff. This may be a first from my pen, but I prefer the funky Belgian flavor to the hops. That's primarily because I am not liking the hops one iota, but there it is. The finish is a brief respite from a host of tastes I'm not digging, but then I plunge in again. Some solventy alcohol flavors as it warms, which I'd normally rail against, but here I'm trying to focus it. Whew, a tough bottle of beer to drink for me. To be fair, as it warms, the flavors do start to unfold a *little*. I'm picking up some earthy/grassy stuff at times. Some more citrus would have made a big difference here, the hops were just too raw, harsh, and unflavorful, and pulled the rug out from under this beer.

Mouthfeel - crisp, somewhat smooth with a solid body. Smoother still towards the end as some sediment is added to the mix.

Drinkability - no, I can't do this one again. Much thanks to the good folks at Hyde Park W&S for stocking this, but it is not for me.

11-19-2008 02:27:31 | More by brewdlyhooked13
largadeer

2.3/5  rDev -42.9%

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow with a small white head.

Smell: Estery funk, candy sweetness and hops of the herbal and citrus variety.

Taste & mouthfeel: Candy-like sweetness and fruity esters up front. A bit of yeasty funk is present in the background, lending some nice complexity until the abusively bitter hops begin to rape the palate. This beer has to have the worst balance of hops I've ever tasted - there's little hop flavor or aroma, while the bitterness is completely over the top. Midway through the glass my palate was numb and I couldn't actually taste anything beyond bitterness. Pretty ridiculous stuff, and not in a good way.

09-03-2008 23:26:44 | More by largadeer
cjoc83

2.3/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured from a bomber into Stella Artois chalice.

Bottle states "Extreme ale converging San Diego-style imperial pale ale and belgian-style trippel." If only.

Pours an opaque, hazy amber with some yellow straw color coming through at the edges. A medium-aggressive pour leaves a nice, creamy 2-3 finger head that leaves nice lacing. A bit of yeast-y sediment floating around. If only the rest of the beer was as impressive as it looked.

The nose is all hops. Not really what I was expecting as it is supposed to be an imperial pale ale (not a IIPA) mixed with a trippel. Taste is about the same. Piney, bitter hops from start to finish. The belgian aspect of this beer is almost non-existant, perhaps because the hops are just simply way too over-powering. Reminds me a bit of Brewworks 'Hopsolutely', which is a triple IPA.

IMHO, a pretty poorly executed beer. The balance between the hops and the belgian flavors is completely out of wack. This brew would get much higher marks from me if it was just listed as a DIPA, but I'm rating to style. This brew is completely over hopped (and I'm usually a fan of hoppy beers). I would not seek this out again.

12-01-2010 19:05:39 | More by cjoc83
sweemzander

2.3/5  rDev -42.9%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange color. Produced a light cap of white froth.

(S)- A lightly malty biscuit and earthy clay yeast. Bits of lemon and apple.

(T)- A little musty up front with a big yeast and apple flavor. Bits of clay, lemon, and an unknown subtle spice.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. An ok balance, but a bit of a sharp grain and yeast profile to it. Not necessarily bitter, but heavier on the clay and yeast realm.

(D)- Not bad, but a little strange and disjointed. Too old? I cant be for sure due to no bottled date.

02-26-2012 04:31:02 | More by sweemzander
Beaver13

Colorado

2.38/5  rDev -40.9%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear light copper with a creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is interesting and unique - grapefruits and citrus, floral hops, spices and pepper, banana, and sweet sugary malts.

The flavor is sweet gummy malt and melon followed by a big bitter hop finish - floral with some charred tar that lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light bodied and watery.

Overall, I didn't really care for the taste profile of the hops or the balance of gummy sweetness and hops.

10-15-2008 06:21:30 | More by Beaver13
david18

2.4/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I'm not impressed with any of the belgian IPA's and this one is as bad as any of them. I love belgians and i love ipas but they don't blend well.

The hops and the belgian character almost cancel each other out and then you're left with a highly alcoholic beer with no additional distinguishing characteristic.

This one looks like a double ipa, smells like a mess and tastes like alcohol.

12-31-2009 21:39:05 | More by david18
jpmclaug

South Carolina

2.55/5  rDev -36.7%

Poured from a bomber into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Got this in a nice BIF box from domtronzero. I'm looking forward to trying this. I love IPA's but don't care much for Tripel's so it will be interesting to see what happens when they meet.

A - Clear golden body with a decent sized white head resting on top.

S - I smell citrus hop notes and then a whiff of banana and the other aroma's I associate with Belgian yeast.

T - Taste like a mix of the two styles as I should expect... The citrusy hops are the first thing I notice but then the Belgian tripel flavor comes in and takes over. Just really not a big fan of that and it really kills this beer for me.

M - medium bodied, a fair amount of carbonation and some stickiness

D - I really don't like the flavors that come with a tripel and unfortunately they are way too present in this for this to be enjoyable for me. I like the citrus hop flavors but they just aren't strong enough. I'm glad I got to try this but I don't see any reason to try it again in the future.

11-14-2010 23:46:34 | More by jpmclaug
MaineBrewing

Maine

2.64/5  rDev -34.5%

A - poured at cellar temp into chalice with 3 finger off white head, golden in color slightly cloudy with hint of orange. Head reduced by half to a resilient fluffy layer and ample lacing. left lacing thoughout the whole experience. Appearance is spot on for the style.

S - First in the nose is a wave of beautiful hops, piney, resinous. This is followed quickly with a nice fruity and phenolic yeast bouquet. Hints of coriander and pepper, slight alcohol. Light cereal and caramel malts provide backbone to the hoppy and fruity nuances.

T - Taste is wall of bitter, very astringent. Not hop bitter as much as tannin induced astringency, very drying like a red wine. Behind the bitter there is some flavoring hops, but they are lost. Lost under a layer of bitter is the fruity bouquet found in the nose and the malt character. The bitter is lingering. I keep coming back to try to find more descriptive words for the taste, but I can't. Bitter.

M - carbonation is good, but too dry, alcohol and astringent flavor is ruining my palate. Horrid.

O - poorly executed, i dont think this is a bad bottle, it doesnt taste infected... It just tastes like a poorly brewed beer. I have had way better examples of a Belgian style ipa. This is very one dimensional, bitter and alcohol. I expected much more distinct flavor and a much more enjoyable beer. I feel there is some good favors deep down but they are not coming through. Not a drain pour, I can drink it, but won't buy another.

01-30-2013 03:03:50 | More by MaineBrewing
Vancer

2.83/5  rDev -29.8%

The start is off on the right foot - a hazy amber orange with a real rocky top white head, plenty of sheet lacing in the Corsendonk tulip. Tons O' yeasties on the bottle bottom.

Great aroma of a musty, funky brew with plenty of Belgium yeast kicking into the mix.

But the taste? WOW, major let down. An astringent taste of orange and citrus, sweet start and sour finish - only a bit of sweet Belgium candy cane saves this at all. This combination does not work well at all. Finish is dry and burning with the alcohol. Funny how sometimes one does not taste a beer the same as the majority.

I'm passing on this one, a one and done beer.

03-29-2009 20:16:39 | More by Vancer
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

2.85/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured into a pint glass. The color is dark orange; almost copper. There is a bit of haziness to the beer. The head is off-white and about a half inch.

The aroma has a bit of bubblegum, with some nice spicy yeast mixed in.

The taste has some bitter hoppiness, mabye on the citrusy side. Most of the flavor is more towards the Belgian pale ale. The yeast flavor doesn't mix well with the hop flavor; leaving a muddled mess of flavor.

This is full bodied, with very lively carbonation. This isn't terrible, but the yeast flavor isn't great and the hop flavor is mostly just bitter. I should disclose I don't love this style in general.

07-04-2012 04:56:26 | More by andrewinski1
kojevergas

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

1 pint 6 fl oz. brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a six finger head of fair cream and thickness, and great retention. Colour is a semitransparent light copper.

Sm: Light floral hops is all me broken nose detects; all apologies, lads. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Well handled bittering hops and pleasant floral notes tamed by a light unobtrusive barley. Not horribly complex, but well balanced and decently built.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavour of the body.

Dr: Very drinkable, but the quality of the flavour is limited. The ABV is high, but it suffers from low quality.

09-26-2011 04:28:05 | More by kojevergas
Bendurgin

Maine

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tulip. This one pours a caramel brown with three fingers of bubbly beige head. It's settles to leave some cobweb lace.

Bananas and bubble gum in the aroma with some spiciness in the background. Cloves come to mind. Seems sweet and lacks hop character. The pallet is filled with spice. Ginger and cloves with some toffee sweetness. A little bit of a bitter hop finish on this.

The body is medium with coarse carbonation. Sticky on the pallet.

Overall this one underwhelmed me. Not enough hops (IMO) and a bit to sweet. I feel like the flavor profiles don't come together in the end. Drinkable, but I won't buy it again (hell I didn't even buy this, it was given to me).

07-11-2012 01:08:21 | More by Bendurgin
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a hazy, straw yellow color. Head is large, long lasting, and white. As I hold my glass up to the light, I realize this beer looks exactly like a hefe. No matter, as it's still an inviting looking beer.

Aroma is a yeast fruitiness, lemon mostly. Hops are detected, but I got a couple snorts of beer up my nose for trying to smell them.

Some good hop bitterness hits me up front. Followed rather quickly by the yeast flavors. Much like a tripel. I'm not picking up any malt flavors, however, and I'm not sure I approve of that omission. Seriously, a really good hop and yeast combo though. Hops are somewhat indistinct, however, and I wish there was more west coast citric hopping going on.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little chewy, and semi sweet finish.

This beer is kind of all over the place, and sometimes in the wrong places. This is an OK tasting beer, although not really for me. I have yet to taste a better Belgian IPA than the one Furthermore Brewing makes. That being said, I would drink this again if I saw it on tap somewhere. Cheers.

02-24-2009 05:14:33 | More by dancinwillie
Philousa

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

Imbibed on tap at the green Flash tasting room on 12/30/11. Review done from notes and recent bottle tasting to refresh my memory.

Pours a nearly clear golden rust with little head. Bubbles are irregular, suggesting the Belgian yeast used in this beer. It should be noted that the bottle version had about three fingers head. Although it's not going to blow when you open it, be careful with this one. Zesty, piney, biscuity, with a bit of grapefruit along the banana and grape esters. Mild spiciness detected from the yeast, this has more body than the other Belgians I've tried from GF. Malt bill suggests tasted white bread. Spicy, pungent Belgian yeast goes up to your nose with the first sip. Banana, allspice, and cinnamon come through in taste. Musky Belgian yeast takes over and combines with bitter hops, which taste green and fresh. Some toasty malt comes through but the bitterness lingers in the back of your throat reminding you it's an IPA. Acidic and watery with a dry finish.

This one was interesting, but ultimately a bit disappointing. I guess I should have tried this first in my sampling, because the Rayon Vert set the bar too high. Ultimately, this one is too yeasty and pungent. Don't know if I would buy again, to be honest. Understand that this is only because GF makes better beer. This is still a complex, interesting Belgian inspired IPA.

01-21-2012 04:01:43 | More by Philousa
rdilauro

Connecticut

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I have always been interested in a Belgium / IPA style of beer. This one poured a little darker than a wheat style beer. The aroma was heavily on the Belgium side. The distinct nose of some of the yeast/hops they use make it different from other beers.
Since this was a West Coast beer, I thought there would be some of the typical medium to high IBU to give you that dryness and bitter taste with the nose of citrus and grapefruit. I think the Belgium side of this beer won out.
It was enjoyable drinking this from the first sip. Nothing that really stood out for me. A solid beer, but just not my style

01-14-2014 13:56:54 | More by rdilauro
mfaulk

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

Serving: 2 glasses from a 22 oz bottle. 1st glass was a bit cold (about 40F), while the 2nd was right (around 55F).

A: deep yellow to straw, a bit murky. Thick head leaves lacing.

T:
1st: pepper, hot alcohol and hops teaming up to be harsh and unpleasant. Not enjoyable.
2nd: peppery, some sweet malt, honey. Moves into more citrusy flavors. Hops and pepper have blended together a bit more. Okay.

M:
1st: surprised by mouth-filling froth, given the light carbonation in the glass. Some alcohol hotness. Dry + hop finish.
2nd: carbonation has subsided. Thick and creamy. Alcohol is still hanging around.

D: It wasn't easy going through 22oz. Struck me as the worst-of-both-worlds, combining what I like least of IIPA and tripel.

This one really benefits from the warmer serving temperature, but still isn't as enjoyable as a traditional SD IIPA or a Belgian IPA.

11-27-2010 02:40:08 | More by mfaulk
bifrostguard

A - Golden with a tall off white head

S - Clove and spice. This is not a good sign as it is reminiscent of other IPA/Belgian meshes I have tried out here on the west coast.

T - Not as bad as I expected. Still too much clove and spice flavor for me. Grains are prevalent as well. I have come to face the fact that I just don't enjoy the southern California take on the Belgian style trippel/IPA.

M - Smooth and unremarkable other than that.

D - Not really drinkable for me. The flavor is somewhat unpalatable to my taste. I would prefer something with a little less spice. Just not my style. This will be the last of the like that I will try.

10-14-2008 03:39:47 | More by bifrostguard
spartanfan

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from a bomber with no freshness date

A: Pours a hazy light straw color with a fluffy white head that has faded into a thin layer.

S: At first all I can smell is the Belgian yeast and a bit of alcohol. As the beer warms an estery fruitiness and a faint hop bitterness appear as well.

T: Very interesting taste. At first it almost seems like a triple gone sour. But as it warms and I drink more of it the flavors become clearer. The beer tastes of Belgain yeast and earthy hops.

M: Highly carbonated, which was expected. Medium body, I would prefer a bit thicker, but it's not bad.

D: This is not one of my favorites, but I would try it again because I have a feeling my sample was none too fresh.

02-06-2010 12:35:46 | More by spartanfan
crossovert

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

650 ml bomber. No best by date.

Pours a deep orangeish gold with a foamy white head that leaves some nice lacing.

The smell is very clovey, very sweet smelling, and very syupy/medicinal smelling. The hops are there but are extremely medicinal.

The taste is all over the place, it has a bit of "band-aid"(rubber/plastic), tons of medicinal hops, and some bitterness. It tastes like medicine. I jsut can't enjoy it fully.

Overall if you want a good BIPA make sure it is a "B" IPA if you get what I mean.

04-03-2010 00:47:46 | More by crossovert
Gu3mom

Georgia

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

At our house, we use a 10-point scale. For this particular beer our ratings are as follows:

Her - 6 Hint of banana flavor which I do not like in beer.
Him - 8 High octane, good flavor. Pricey.

Overall, drinkable but a far cry from a top choice; we hold out for brews that are at least a 7 on our scale. Cheers!

Serving type: growler

02-07-2013 19:16:38 | More by Gu3mom
Juuroumaru

12oz bottle found in the back of my cellar dated 10/22/12
A-Poured aggressively with a 2in white head. lots of micro bubbles being released from the center of the glass. Head retention in not very good, almost completely dissipated within 1 minute. leaves a small thin lacing.
S-Malt with what appears to belgian yeast and a light citrus nose.
T- Very malty with no sign of hops and a slightly spiced body.
M- Good carbonation with a solid mouthfeel.
O- Can definately tell that this beer has degraded a lot but it’s still a solid drink

07-27-2013 15:42:32 | More by Juuroumaru
TheHoppiest

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into an oversized goblet. Pours a slightly hazy copper amber color, with a thin soapy white head.

Has a sweet, fruity aroma, with sharp white pine notes and a witch-hazel smell tempered with yeast. Smell is strong, almost overpowering.

Tastes of Belgian yeast, mild malt, and a bubbly, carbonated hop that really doesn't meld well together. While not very bitter, there is still plenty of pine and evergreen tastes with very little of the fruit that was abundant in thhe smell. Ends somewhat biting, though again, not terribly bitter.

Medium mouthfeel, with a metallic tang that ends dry.

I'm a huge fan of Flying Dog's Raging Bitch Belgian IPA, so I held high hopes for this brew. Unfortunately, I feel a bit let down, as it seems the brewer could not decide which direction to go with this beer, so s/he decided to go a few at once. The alcohol content is very evident in the taste, and the bitterness ismmore metallic than bitter. For $10 for the bottle, I'd spend my money elsewhere next time.

05-03-2011 00:48:36 | More by TheHoppiest
BeerTruth

Connecticut

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

number1bum hooked me up with this one, thanks bitch.

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours a semi-cloudy bright orange with an off-white head that slowly dies down to a chunky layer of foam. Wonderful spiderweb lacing left behind on the sides of the glass. Smell is pretty strong with clove (a bit much), Bazooka Joe, candy sugar, booze, and banana bread. The hops could use a bit more strength in the nose. A weak pineapple and orange zest in terms of hops, but that's about it. Flavor begins pretty strong with an alcohol bite and a big rush of clove and spice. Big bitter hops midway with pale malts and pink grapefruit...and the booze again. Aftertaste is bready with more alcohol and a touch of pepper and zest. Medium body with a stinging mouthfeel. The strong carbonation and over the top alcohol presence make this difficult to drink. This beer has pretty much ruined my mouth, save this beer for last if you plan to drink others so you can keep your tastebuds.

10-11-2008 23:36:15 | More by BeerTruth
rhinos00

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Clear golden orange in appearance. Two fingered fluffy white head gathered at the top after an aggressive pour, almost like whip cream. Left beautiful lacework on the glass as the beer was consumed.

S- Nothing exciting, generic. Smell of wheat and grain with a faint aroma of hops.

T- Very different in that the flavors were subtle, but still delivered a huge hop flavor, almost too much. Have to let this one warm up a bit for more complexity.

M- Medium bodied. Something was just a little off, almost watered down at points.

D- I don't think I can drink another one of these. Will most likely have to share with someone if I decide to drink this again.

Overall, I almost considered a drain pour at points. As the beer warmed up, the complexity of the taste was more acceptable. Still, I was on edge the whole time just trying to put this one down.

11-20-2008 02:52:57 | More by rhinos00
Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.