Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.
Ratings: 2,222 | Reviews: 730
2.75/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Good beer but nothing special.

2.76/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Very odd taste, different than any other Belgian!

2.77/5  rDev -31.3%

A - poured at cellar temp into chalice with 3 finger off white head, golden in color slightly cloudy with hint of orange. Head reduced by half to a resilient fluffy layer and ample lacing. left lacing thoughout the whole experience. Appearance is spot on for the style.

S - First in the nose is a wave of beautiful hops, piney, resinous. This is followed quickly with a nice fruity and phenolic yeast bouquet. Hints of coriander and pepper, slight alcohol. Light cereal and caramel malts provide backbone to the hoppy and fruity nuances.

T - Taste is wall of bitter, very astringent. Not hop bitter as much as tannin induced astringency, very drying like a red wine. Behind the bitter there is some flavoring hops, but they are lost. Lost under a layer of bitter is the fruity bouquet found in the nose and the malt character. The bitter is lingering. I keep coming back to try to find more descriptive words for the taste, but I can't. Bitter.

M - carbonation is good, but too dry, alcohol and astringent flavor is ruining my palate. Horrid.

O - poorly executed, i dont think this is a bad bottle, it doesnt taste infected... It just tastes like a poorly brewed beer. I have had way better examples of a Belgian style ipa. This is very one dimensional, bitter and alcohol. I expected much more distinct flavor and a much more enjoyable beer. I feel there is some good favors deep down but they are not coming through. Not a drain pour, I can drink it, but won't buy another.

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured into a pint glass. The color is dark orange; almost copper. There is a bit of haziness to the beer. The head is off-white and about a half inch.

The aroma has a bit of bubblegum, with some nice spicy yeast mixed in.

The taste has some bitter hoppiness, mabye on the citrusy side. Most of the flavor is more towards the Belgian pale ale. The yeast flavor doesn't mix well with the hop flavor; leaving a muddled mess of flavor.

This is full bodied, with very lively carbonation. This isn't terrible, but the yeast flavor isn't great and the hop flavor is mostly just bitter. I should disclose I don't love this style in general.

2.9/5  rDev -28%

The start is off on the right foot - a hazy amber orange with a real rocky top white head, plenty of sheet lacing in the Corsendonk tulip. Tons O' yeasties on the bottle bottom.

Great aroma of a musty, funky brew with plenty of Belgium yeast kicking into the mix.

But the taste? WOW, major let down. An astringent taste of orange and citrus, sweet start and sour finish - only a bit of sweet Belgium candy cane saves this at all. This combination does not work well at all. Finish is dry and burning with the alcohol. Funny how sometimes one does not taste a beer the same as the majority.

I'm passing on this one, a one and done beer.

2.92/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tulip. This one pours a caramel brown with three fingers of bubbly beige head. It's settles to leave some cobweb lace.

Bananas and bubble gum in the aroma with some spiciness in the background. Cloves come to mind. Seems sweet and lacks hop character. The pallet is filled with spice. Ginger and cloves with some toffee sweetness. A little bit of a bitter hop finish on this.

The body is medium with coarse carbonation. Sticky on the pallet.

Overall this one underwhelmed me. Not enough hops (IMO) and a bit to sweet. I feel like the flavor profiles don't come together in the end. Drinkable, but I won't buy it again (hell I didn't even buy this, it was given to me).

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

1 pint 6 fl oz. brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a six finger head of fair cream and thickness, and great retention. Colour is a semitransparent light copper.

Sm: Light floral hops is all me broken nose detects; all apologies, lads. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Well handled bittering hops and pleasant floral notes tamed by a light unobtrusive barley. Not horribly complex, but well balanced and decently built.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavour of the body.

Dr: Very drinkable, but the quality of the flavour is limited. The ABV is high, but it suffers from low quality.

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I have always been interested in a Belgium / IPA style of beer. This one poured a little darker than a wheat style beer. The aroma was heavily on the Belgium side. The distinct nose of some of the yeast/hops they use make it different from other beers.
Since this was a West Coast beer, I thought there would be some of the typical medium to high IBU to give you that dryness and bitter taste with the nose of citrus and grapefruit. I think the Belgium side of this beer won out.
It was enjoyable drinking this from the first sip. Nothing that really stood out for me. A solid beer, but just not my style

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a hazy, straw yellow color. Head is large, long lasting, and white. As I hold my glass up to the light, I realize this beer looks exactly like a hefe. No matter, as it's still an inviting looking beer.

Aroma is a yeast fruitiness, lemon mostly. Hops are detected, but I got a couple snorts of beer up my nose for trying to smell them.

Some good hop bitterness hits me up front. Followed rather quickly by the yeast flavors. Much like a tripel. I'm not picking up any malt flavors, however, and I'm not sure I approve of that omission. Seriously, a really good hop and yeast combo though. Hops are somewhat indistinct, however, and I wish there was more west coast citric hopping going on.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little chewy, and semi sweet finish.

This beer is kind of all over the place, and sometimes in the wrong places. This is an OK tasting beer, although not really for me. I have yet to taste a better Belgian IPA than the one Furthermore Brewing makes. That being said, I would drink this again if I saw it on tap somewhere. Cheers.

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

Not really a fan of the taste. Kind of like India pale shock top. But pretty fruity

3.06/5  rDev -24.1%

Serving: 2 glasses from a 22 oz bottle. 1st glass was a bit cold (about 40F), while the 2nd was right (around 55F).

A: deep yellow to straw, a bit murky. Thick head leaves lacing.

T:
1st: pepper, hot alcohol and hops teaming up to be harsh and unpleasant. Not enjoyable.
2nd: peppery, some sweet malt, honey. Moves into more citrusy flavors. Hops and pepper have blended together a bit more. Okay.

M:
1st: surprised by mouth-filling froth, given the light carbonation in the glass. Some alcohol hotness. Dry + hop finish.
2nd: carbonation has subsided. Thick and creamy. Alcohol is still hanging around.

D: It wasn't easy going through 22oz. Struck me as the worst-of-both-worlds, combining what I like least of IIPA and tripel.

This one really benefits from the warmer serving temperature, but still isn't as enjoyable as a traditional SD IIPA or a Belgian IPA.

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

Imbibed on tap at the green Flash tasting room on 12/30/11. Review done from notes and recent bottle tasting to refresh my memory.

Pours a nearly clear golden rust with little head. Bubbles are irregular, suggesting the Belgian yeast used in this beer. It should be noted that the bottle version had about three fingers head. Although it's not going to blow when you open it, be careful with this one. Zesty, piney, biscuity, with a bit of grapefruit along the banana and grape esters. Mild spiciness detected from the yeast, this has more body than the other Belgians I've tried from GF. Malt bill suggests tasted white bread. Spicy, pungent Belgian yeast goes up to your nose with the first sip. Banana, allspice, and cinnamon come through in taste. Musky Belgian yeast takes over and combines with bitter hops, which taste green and fresh. Some toasty malt comes through but the bitterness lingers in the back of your throat reminding you it's an IPA. Acidic and watery with a dry finish.

This one was interesting, but ultimately a bit disappointing. I guess I should have tried this first in my sampling, because the Rayon Vert set the bar too high. Ultimately, this one is too yeasty and pungent. Don't know if I would buy again, to be honest. Understand that this is only because GF makes better beer. This is still a complex, interesting Belgian inspired IPA.

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

At our house, we use a 10-point scale. For this particular beer our ratings are as follows:

Her - 6 Hint of banana flavor which I do not like in beer.
Him - 8 High octane, good flavor. Pricey.

Overall, drinkable but a far cry from a top choice; we hold out for brews that are at least a 7 on our scale. Cheers!

3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

650 ml bomber. No best by date.

Pours a deep orangeish gold with a foamy white head that leaves some nice lacing.

The smell is very clovey, very sweet smelling, and very syupy/medicinal smelling. The hops are there but are extremely medicinal.

The taste is all over the place, it has a bit of "band-aid"(rubber/plastic), tons of medicinal hops, and some bitterness. It tastes like medicine. I jsut can't enjoy it fully.

Overall if you want a good BIPA make sure it is a "B" IPA if you get what I mean.

A - Golden with a tall off white head

S - Clove and spice. This is not a good sign as it is reminiscent of other IPA/Belgian meshes I have tried out here on the west coast.

T - Not as bad as I expected. Still too much clove and spice flavor for me. Grains are prevalent as well. I have come to face the fact that I just don't enjoy the southern California take on the Belgian style trippel/IPA.

M - Smooth and unremarkable other than that.

D - Not really drinkable for me. The flavor is somewhat unpalatable to my taste. I would prefer something with a little less spice. Just not my style. This will be the last of the like that I will try.

3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a bomber with no freshness date

A: Pours a hazy light straw color with a fluffy white head that has faded into a thin layer.

S: At first all I can smell is the Belgian yeast and a bit of alcohol. As the beer warms an estery fruitiness and a faint hop bitterness appear as well.

T: Very interesting taste. At first it almost seems like a triple gone sour. But as it warms and I drink more of it the flavors become clearer. The beer tastes of Belgain yeast and earthy hops.

M: Highly carbonated, which was expected. Medium body, I would prefer a bit thicker, but it's not bad.

D: This is not one of my favorites, but I would try it again because I have a feeling my sample was none too fresh.

3.12/5  rDev -22.6%

12oz bottle found in the back of my cellar dated 10/22/12
A-Poured aggressively with a 2in white head. lots of micro bubbles being released from the center of the glass. Head retention in not very good, almost completely dissipated within 1 minute. leaves a small thin lacing.
S-Malt with what appears to belgian yeast and a light citrus nose.
T- Very malty with no sign of hops and a slightly spiced body.
M- Good carbonation with a solid mouthfeel.
O- Can definately tell that this beer has degraded a lot but it’s still a solid drink

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into an oversized goblet. Pours a slightly hazy copper amber color, with a thin soapy white head.

Has a sweet, fruity aroma, with sharp white pine notes and a witch-hazel smell tempered with yeast. Smell is strong, almost overpowering.

Tastes of Belgian yeast, mild malt, and a bubbly, carbonated hop that really doesn't meld well together. While not very bitter, there is still plenty of pine and evergreen tastes with very little of the fruit that was abundant in thhe smell. Ends somewhat biting, though again, not terribly bitter.

Medium mouthfeel, with a metallic tang that ends dry.

I'm a huge fan of Flying Dog's Raging Bitch Belgian IPA, so I held high hopes for this brew. Unfortunately, I feel a bit let down, as it seems the brewer could not decide which direction to go with this beer, so s/he decided to go a few at once. The alcohol content is very evident in the taste, and the bitterness ismmore metallic than bitter. For $10 for the bottle, I'd spend my money elsewhere next time.

3.19/5  rDev -20.8%

number1bum hooked me up with this one, thanks bitch.

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours a semi-cloudy bright orange with an off-white head that slowly dies down to a chunky layer of foam. Wonderful spiderweb lacing left behind on the sides of the glass. Smell is pretty strong with clove (a bit much), Bazooka Joe, candy sugar, booze, and banana bread. The hops could use a bit more strength in the nose. A weak pineapple and orange zest in terms of hops, but that's about it. Flavor begins pretty strong with an alcohol bite and a big rush of clove and spice. Big bitter hops midway with pale malts and pink grapefruit...and the booze again. Aftertaste is bready with more alcohol and a touch of pepper and zest. Medium body with a stinging mouthfeel. The strong carbonation and over the top alcohol presence make this difficult to drink. This beer has pretty much ruined my mouth, save this beer for last if you plan to drink others so you can keep your tastebuds.

3.19/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Clear golden orange in appearance. Two fingered fluffy white head gathered at the top after an aggressive pour, almost like whip cream. Left beautiful lacework on the glass as the beer was consumed.

S- Nothing exciting, generic. Smell of wheat and grain with a faint aroma of hops.

T- Very different in that the flavors were subtle, but still delivered a huge hop flavor, almost too much. Have to let this one warm up a bit for more complexity.

M- Medium bodied. Something was just a little off, almost watered down at points.

D- I don't think I can drink another one of these. Will most likely have to share with someone if I decide to drink this again.

Overall, I almost considered a drain pour at points. As the beer warmed up, the complexity of the taste was more acceptable. Still, I was on edge the whole time just trying to put this one down.

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

More of an editorial than a full review (I'm a recent wine-to-beer convert and have not yet found my "voice")....

I'm a big-time AIPA and belgian-style fan (La Fin du Monde est la Fin!). However, I find the full-AIPA hop treatment in this beer to be a bit overwhelming when matched up with the phenolic spiciness of the belgian yeast. It's as if these two tastes are battling it out in my mouth with my taste buds as the collateral damage.

I therefore find the drinkability quite low compared with the velvet-hammer approach of Piraat and the lower-key G.D. Belgica. Other than that I found the smell remarkably light given the sheer intensity of the tastes, though the mouthfeel/head/lacing are awesome. Nevertheless, paired with the right food this would be great, but just for sipping...no.

BIPA's are clearly a style that is trying to find its definition. I am not sure I've found what that is for me (not even Piraat quite does it and Belgica is a bit light/simple). Hopefully though, the full-on pairing of west-coast hops with a phenolic tripel will be dialed back to something more refined.

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

Holy Gigantic Font Batman! Been a while since I've been on, the screen is all sorts of huge..
Much thanks to Richard for this brew!

A: A light tan apricot color, mostly clear, with a nice off-white, pillowy head on top.

S: Hoppiness with an underlying sweet character. Touches of pine, but there is also orange and grapefruit peel. A touch of raisins, and perhaps brown sugar. Possibly banana or clove in there as well.

T: The bitterness is certainly present. There is a bit of banana, with grapefruit hop flavors dominating. A slight sweet caramel flavor, but it is barely perceptible over the bitterness.

M: Fairly thick, with pretty good carbonation. There is certainly an oily afterfeel to it.

O: Overall, I think it is over hopped, and the bitterness detracts from anything interesting that the yeast is doing for it. It's good, but it's hard to see this as anything but an overhopped beer.

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured this Belgian IPA from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a clear golden color, produced a thick, off white creamy head. Excellent Head Retention and thick rings of lacing were left on the pint glass. The aroma consisted of sourdough yeasty, spices , cracked pepper, citrus lemon peels and cloves. Medium in body, this Belgian IPA had a base of malted grain, a melody of fruit including pears, granny smith apples and citrus hops. This ale was more fruity then hoppy- not bad just not what i expected. The bottle says that is a mix of Belgian ale and an American Imperial IPA. I just dont find anything "Imperial" about this IPA. Overall, i think this is an excellent session beer- just don't go into it thinking your getting an aggressive hopped IPA- You will be disappointed.This beer failed my time honored IPA Test....I give my wife a sip and if her face doesn't pucker - its not up to par. Not only did she not pucker...she said mmmm this one is good. ....IPA Fail! ;) Prost!

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Smells good looks good but, the combination isn't as good as I taught

3.26/5  rDev -19.1%

Transcribed from undated notes.

The pour resulted in a big, yellowish-tan head with outstanding retention. Color was a very cloudy deep-apricot. Nose had an odd yeast-driven earthiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a strong sourness, undoubtedly borne of the yeast that wormed its way through the liquid. Extreme? No doubt! IIPA and Trippel? I would not have guessed without cheating up. It was quite sour, especially on the finish. I did not feel that it was the sume of its parts, although mine was definitely the minority opinion on this occasion. I even thought it compared to a saison.

Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.