Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007)

2.55/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured from a bomber into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Got this in a nice BIF box from domtronzero. I'm looking forward to trying this. I love IPA's but don't care much for Tripel's so it will be interesting to see what happens when they meet.

A - Clear golden body with a decent sized white head resting on top.

S - I smell citrus hop notes and then a whiff of banana and the other aroma's I associate with Belgian yeast.

T - Taste like a mix of the two styles as I should expect... The citrusy hops are the first thing I notice but then the Belgian tripel flavor comes in and takes over. Just really not a big fan of that and it really kills this beer for me.

M - medium bodied, a fair amount of carbonation and some stickiness

D - I really don't like the flavors that come with a tripel and unfortunately they are way too present in this for this to be enjoyable for me. I like the citrus hop flavors but they just aren't strong enough. I'm glad I got to try this but I don't see any reason to try it again in the future.

2.64/5  rDev -34.3%

A - poured at cellar temp into chalice with 3 finger off white head, golden in color slightly cloudy with hint of orange. Head reduced by half to a resilient fluffy layer and ample lacing. left lacing thoughout the whole experience. Appearance is spot on for the style.

S - First in the nose is a wave of beautiful hops, piney, resinous. This is followed quickly with a nice fruity and phenolic yeast bouquet. Hints of coriander and pepper, slight alcohol. Light cereal and caramel malts provide backbone to the hoppy and fruity nuances.

T - Taste is wall of bitter, very astringent. Not hop bitter as much as tannin induced astringency, very drying like a red wine. Behind the bitter there is some flavoring hops, but they are lost. Lost under a layer of bitter is the fruity bouquet found in the nose and the malt character. The bitter is lingering. I keep coming back to try to find more descriptive words for the taste, but I can't. Bitter.

M - carbonation is good, but too dry, alcohol and astringent flavor is ruining my palate. Horrid.

O - poorly executed, i dont think this is a bad bottle, it doesnt taste infected... It just tastes like a poorly brewed beer. I have had way better examples of a Belgian style ipa. This is very one dimensional, bitter and alcohol. I expected much more distinct flavor and a much more enjoyable beer. I feel there is some good favors deep down but they are not coming through. Not a drain pour, I can drink it, but won't buy another.

2.83/5  rDev -29.6%

The start is off on the right foot - a hazy amber orange with a real rocky top white head, plenty of sheet lacing in the Corsendonk tulip. Tons O' yeasties on the bottle bottom.

Great aroma of a musty, funky brew with plenty of Belgium yeast kicking into the mix.

But the taste? WOW, major let down. An astringent taste of orange and citrus, sweet start and sour finish - only a bit of sweet Belgium candy cane saves this at all. This combination does not work well at all. Finish is dry and burning with the alcohol. Funny how sometimes one does not taste a beer the same as the majority.

I'm passing on this one, a one and done beer.

2.85/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured into a pint glass. The color is dark orange; almost copper. There is a bit of haziness to the beer. The head is off-white and about a half inch.

The aroma has a bit of bubblegum, with some nice spicy yeast mixed in.

The taste has some bitter hoppiness, mabye on the citrusy side. Most of the flavor is more towards the Belgian pale ale. The yeast flavor doesn't mix well with the hop flavor; leaving a muddled mess of flavor.

This is full bodied, with very lively carbonation. This isn't terrible, but the yeast flavor isn't great and the hop flavor is mostly just bitter. I should disclose I don't love this style in general.

2.88/5  rDev -28.4%

2.93/5  rDev -27.1%

1 pint 6 fl oz. brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a six finger head of fair cream and thickness, and great retention. Colour is a semitransparent light copper.

Sm: Light floral hops is all me broken nose detects; all apologies, lads. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Well handled bittering hops and pleasant floral notes tamed by a light unobtrusive barley. Not horribly complex, but well balanced and decently built.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavour of the body.

Dr: Very drinkable, but the quality of the flavour is limited. The ABV is high, but it suffers from low quality.

2.93/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tulip. This one pours a caramel brown with three fingers of bubbly beige head. It's settles to leave some cobweb lace.

Bananas and bubble gum in the aroma with some spiciness in the background. Cloves come to mind. Seems sweet and lacks hop character. The pallet is filled with spice. Ginger and cloves with some toffee sweetness. A little bit of a bitter hop finish on this.

The body is medium with coarse carbonation. Sticky on the pallet.

Overall this one underwhelmed me. Not enough hops (IMO) and a bit to sweet. I feel like the flavor profiles don't come together in the end. Drinkable, but I won't buy it again (hell I didn't even buy this, it was given to me).

Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.