Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.
Reviews: 717 | Hads: 2,243
3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

A - Golden with a tall off white head

S - Clove and spice. This is not a good sign as it is reminiscent of other IPA/Belgian meshes I have tried out here on the west coast.

T - Not as bad as I expected. Still too much clove and spice flavor for me. Grains are prevalent as well. I have come to face the fact that I just don't enjoy the southern California take on the Belgian style trippel/IPA.

M - Smooth and unremarkable other than that.

D - Not really drinkable for me. The flavor is somewhat unpalatable to my taste. I would prefer something with a little less spice. Just not my style. This will be the last of the like that I will try. (645 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a bomber with no freshness date

A: Pours a hazy light straw color with a fluffy white head that has faded into a thin layer.

S: At first all I can smell is the Belgian yeast and a bit of alcohol. As the beer warms an estery fruitiness and a faint hop bitterness appear as well.

T: Very interesting taste. At first it almost seems like a triple gone sour. But as it warms and I drink more of it the flavors become clearer. The beer tastes of Belgain yeast and earthy hops.

M: Highly carbonated, which was expected. Medium body, I would prefer a bit thicker, but it's not bad.

D: This is not one of my favorites, but I would try it again because I have a feeling my sample was none too fresh. (707 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -22.6%

12oz bottle found in the back of my cellar dated 10/22/12
A-Poured aggressively with a 2in white head. lots of micro bubbles being released from the center of the glass. Head retention in not very good, almost completely dissipated within 1 minute. leaves a small thin lacing.
S-Malt with what appears to belgian yeast and a light citrus nose.
T- Very malty with no sign of hops and a slightly spiced body.
M- Good carbonation with a solid mouthfeel.
O- Can definately tell that this beer has degraded a lot but it’s still a solid drink (543 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into an oversized goblet. Pours a slightly hazy copper amber color, with a thin soapy white head.

Has a sweet, fruity aroma, with sharp white pine notes and a witch-hazel smell tempered with yeast. Smell is strong, almost overpowering.

Tastes of Belgian yeast, mild malt, and a bubbly, carbonated hop that really doesn't meld well together. While not very bitter, there is still plenty of pine and evergreen tastes with very little of the fruit that was abundant in thhe smell. Ends somewhat biting, though again, not terribly bitter.

Medium mouthfeel, with a metallic tang that ends dry.

I'm a huge fan of Flying Dog's Raging Bitch Belgian IPA, so I held high hopes for this brew. Unfortunately, I feel a bit let down, as it seems the brewer could not decide which direction to go with this beer, so s/he decided to go a few at once. The alcohol content is very evident in the taste, and the bitterness ismmore metallic than bitter. For $10 for the bottle, I'd spend my money elsewhere next time. (1,029 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -20.8%

number1bum hooked me up with this one, thanks bitch.

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours a semi-cloudy bright orange with an off-white head that slowly dies down to a chunky layer of foam. Wonderful spiderweb lacing left behind on the sides of the glass. Smell is pretty strong with clove (a bit much), Bazooka Joe, candy sugar, booze, and banana bread. The hops could use a bit more strength in the nose. A weak pineapple and orange zest in terms of hops, but that's about it. Flavor begins pretty strong with an alcohol bite and a big rush of clove and spice. Big bitter hops midway with pale malts and pink grapefruit...and the booze again. Aftertaste is bready with more alcohol and a touch of pepper and zest. Medium body with a stinging mouthfeel. The strong carbonation and over the top alcohol presence make this difficult to drink. This beer has pretty much ruined my mouth, save this beer for last if you plan to drink others so you can keep your tastebuds. (974 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Clear golden orange in appearance. Two fingered fluffy white head gathered at the top after an aggressive pour, almost like whip cream. Left beautiful lacework on the glass as the beer was consumed.

S- Nothing exciting, generic. Smell of wheat and grain with a faint aroma of hops.

T- Very different in that the flavors were subtle, but still delivered a huge hop flavor, almost too much. Have to let this one warm up a bit for more complexity.

M- Medium bodied. Something was just a little off, almost watered down at points.

D- I don't think I can drink another one of these. Will most likely have to share with someone if I decide to drink this again.

Overall, I almost considered a drain pour at points. As the beer warmed up, the complexity of the taste was more acceptable. Still, I was on edge the whole time just trying to put this one down. (901 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

More of an editorial than a full review (I'm a recent wine-to-beer convert and have not yet found my "voice")....

I'm a big-time AIPA and belgian-style fan (La Fin du Monde est la Fin!). However, I find the full-AIPA hop treatment in this beer to be a bit overwhelming when matched up with the phenolic spiciness of the belgian yeast. It's as if these two tastes are battling it out in my mouth with my taste buds as the collateral damage.

I therefore find the drinkability quite low compared with the velvet-hammer approach of Piraat and the lower-key G.D. Belgica. Other than that I found the smell remarkably light given the sheer intensity of the tastes, though the mouthfeel/head/lacing are awesome. Nevertheless, paired with the right food this would be great, but just for sipping...no.

BIPA's are clearly a style that is trying to find its definition. I am not sure I've found what that is for me (not even Piraat quite does it and Belgica is a bit light/simple). Hopefully though, the full-on pairing of west-coast hops with a phenolic tripel will be dialed back to something more refined. (1,101 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

Holy Gigantic Font Batman! Been a while since I've been on, the screen is all sorts of huge..
Much thanks to Richard for this brew!

A: A light tan apricot color, mostly clear, with a nice off-white, pillowy head on top.

S: Hoppiness with an underlying sweet character. Touches of pine, but there is also orange and grapefruit peel. A touch of raisins, and perhaps brown sugar. Possibly banana or clove in there as well.

T: The bitterness is certainly present. There is a bit of banana, with grapefruit hop flavors dominating. A slight sweet caramel flavor, but it is barely perceptible over the bitterness.

M: Fairly thick, with pretty good carbonation. There is certainly an oily afterfeel to it.

O: Overall, I think it is over hopped, and the bitterness detracts from anything interesting that the yeast is doing for it. It's good, but it's hard to see this as anything but an overhopped beer. (905 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured this Belgian IPA from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a clear golden color, produced a thick, off white creamy head. Excellent Head Retention and thick rings of lacing were left on the pint glass. The aroma consisted of sourdough yeasty, spices , cracked pepper, citrus lemon peels and cloves. Medium in body, this Belgian IPA had a base of malted grain, a melody of fruit including pears, granny smith apples and citrus hops. This ale was more fruity then hoppy- not bad just not what i expected. The bottle says that is a mix of Belgian ale and an American Imperial IPA. I just dont find anything "Imperial" about this IPA. Overall, i think this is an excellent session beer- just don't go into it thinking your getting an aggressive hopped IPA- You will be disappointed.This beer failed my time honored IPA Test....I give my wife a sip and if her face doesn't pucker - its not up to par. Not only did she not pucker...she said mmmm this one is good. ....IPA Fail! ;) Prost! (988 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.1%

Transcribed from undated notes.

The pour resulted in a big, yellowish-tan head with outstanding retention. Color was a very cloudy deep-apricot. Nose had an odd yeast-driven earthiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a strong sourness, undoubtedly borne of the yeast that wormed its way through the liquid. Extreme? No doubt! IIPA and Trippel? I would not have guessed without cheating up. It was quite sour, especially on the finish. I did not feel that it was the sume of its parts, although mine was definitely the minority opinion on this occasion. I even thought it compared to a saison. (588 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a nice head, decent aroma and good taste. This beer is an interesting combination of a Belgium and American pale ale.

Green flash makes excellent beers and if your looking to try something a little different this is your beer. Not my favorite beer by any stretch of the imagination but worth a try.

Nothing comes to mind that I could compare it to.

bottom Line: worth a try (382 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.1%

Looks promising in the beginning with a lemon, orange color and rich frothy head. Then the head completely disappears leaving and clear liquid with no lacing. Very disappointing.

Smell is the best part with pine and citrus hop notes, yeast and light malt.

First sip is excellent with fresh pine and citrus flavors, candied sugar, fresh yeast and bready malt. After a few sips the hops get rough with a medicinal character. Its like each sip builds on itself to create an undesirable beer. Ruins the balance too.

Medium bodied and coarse, grainy texture. Drying.

There are better Belgian IPA's out there. (607 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.6%

Received this as an extra from Nugganooch; thanks Dane! Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Czechvar tall tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat dark golden orange color with two fingers of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for several minutes and leaves some spotty lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of citrus hops, bready malts, sweet fruity malts, honey, Belgian style yeast, light tang/sourness. As it warms up some light floral notes. Pretty good.

t - Tastes of bready malts, sticky sweet fruity malts, honey, light must, yeast, floral notes. Light spice as well. Not bad, but a little off and too sweet for me. Average at best.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation .

o - Overall a decent beer, but not my favorite. Some nice citrus hops in the nose, but a bit tangy and too sweet for me. Not something I'd probably seek out again. (868 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle tried 2 Jan 2009.

Poured in a 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Large foamy creamy off white head. Cloudy dark amber color. Aroma smells strongly of green bananas, cloves, resiny hops. A bit soapy at the start. Lots of yeast and banana. Astringent and puckery through the middle, finishes with a strong hop bite. Ethanol is warming.

Not really freaking out here. (372 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -17.9%

I poured this into my new Ommegang flute while watching the 2008 Papa John's Bowl. Not a good game for me as my Wolfpack lost to Rutgers, but I tried to not let it show in my review of this beer.

Appearance: The head caught my attention more so than the actual color. It was extremely frothy and cream colored, measured at three fingers. The was a "mushroom cloud" in my glass that was very impressive, and stuck around for quite a while. It poured a hazy orange, I am assuming because of all of the yeast, with golden edges. There was a decent amount of lacing, however it did not stick around on the glass for long.

Smell: The alcohol esters were abundant as was a musty yeasty smell. There was definitely a caramel malty presence that went nicely with the subtle spicey hop aroma.

Taste: The alcohol was what caught my attention at first. Almost to the point of tasting more astringent like. This property mellows as the beer warms. It was very bitter and had tons of spice from the hops, as well as hints of apricots.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium bodied ale with plenty of hoppy spiciness and malts to keep your mouth interested. The carbonation keeps the tongue tingling and the alcohol definitely warms as it goes down. The malts led to an pretty smooth finish.

Drinkability: Not one of my favorites, but I can appreciate this craft brew. It is an enteresting extreme beer, but the alcohol-astringent flavor turns me away. (1,432 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Well, this is my first ever review. I am going to be myself and honest. So take it for what it's worth...A: I love the light- fluffy foamy head but prefer more color. But I appreciate that the suds floated for the whole session.

S: I'm not a huge fan of Belgian yeast smell, but appreciate the Belgian IPA mix, although the hops are not exposed enough in this beer, however - I am partial to hops.

T: Very smooth and easy to gulp. For a 9.2, it was somewhat tart but very drinkable.

M: seemed to be dry. Probably couldn't drink more than two, I think it drank nicely but the higher alcohol was disguised and caught up with me.

O: I actually liked the beer for a couple of reasons and didn't like it for a couple also. Liked: 9.2 ABV. - gave me a good-beer-buzz. & was disappointed when the bottle was empty, which happened before I realized. Not liked: Price, the most I ever paid for a 4 pack - $14.00. A little too much. &. The Belgian yeast was a little too strong for the mix, I desire a more fresh-hoppy flavor. (1,020 characters)

Taken from notes.

A- Pours an almost clear golden color with a 2 finger off white head. The head doesn't hold up too long, but leaves a nice cap with nice spider web looking lace.

S- Sweet malt, bready, and a little bubblegum. Very little hop presence.

T- A bad tasting metallic bitterness up front. Some more sweetness, and again, not too much from the hops. The alchohol is hidden very well.

MF/D- Medium/Full body without being syrupy. Nice dryness. I know this is highly rated, but I wouldn't buy it again. Was expecting more from this. Again, in no way is this a bad beer, but I've had much better Belgian IPAs (619 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Pours a semi hazy golden/yellow color. A dense two finger white head forms with good retention. Some sticky lace is left behind.
S: Yeast, sweet malt, and light fruity aromas up front. The hops come in strong towards the end. Mostly as citrus hops with a soapy dish water aroma.
T: Yeast, peppery spice, and fruit. A light sweetness, and a light hop presents. Mostly a soapy flavor.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Dry and crisp. Some alcohol is noticeable. Though a good beer to sip on.

Not bad at all. Though this is more of a one and done for me. This tries to be a Tripple and a Belgian IPA. It comes up short on both ends. There are much better examples of both. (676 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

pours a semi-cloudy amber-orange with a medium size white head, and great lacing.

smell is of yeast, floral, some fruits, and malt in the back.

taste is smooth, bread dough, some caramel, malt, hops in the back, and some fruit, ends thick and a tad bitter. (258 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This brew pours a beautiful opaque copper/orange with a two finger head which lasts for a while. Some of the head remains on the top of the brew until the end. Good lacing.

The smell is wheat, bananas and cloves. I don't smell too many hops here. Maybe some light piney hops. There is also a bubblegum/yeasty smell.

The taste is citrus hops, wheat, bubblegum, sweet malts and pine. There is also a 'musty' taste similar to what shows up in the smell.

The mouthfeel is thin and creamy, good carbonation. The brew leaves a dry taste in the mouth after swallowing and an oily taste on the tongue.

Overall this brew is pretty plain for something that is called "Le Freak" It does taste as advertised, a cross between a Trippel and an IPA; more Trippel than IPA. (761 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours cloudy orange with a finger of sticky foam. Aroma is full of spicy yeast flavors, phenols, clove. Certainly smells Belgian.

First sip is... thick, viscous, extremely hot, spicy, with a big bitter finish. This is like a Belgian barleywine. Yeast dominates the front, but there is a substantial hop presence. Unfortunately, it is washed away by the harsh alcoholic flavors, and the strong lingering bitterness.

This is an ok beer, but it is just too hot and spicy right now... needs some serious time to mellow out. (559 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a dark cloudy amber/orange color with dark golden orange hues when held to a light source and a thick 1.5 finger foamy yellowish head that slowly fades into a lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

Earthy hop aroma with hints of soil and pine needle as well as some slight citrus fruit notes, mainly grapefruit. There's also some crisp , light apple and pear notes along with subtle peppery/coriander spice.

This beer tastes and feels much more like a DIPA than an Belgian IPA. Very hop forward with lots of earthy pine and citrus fruit notes. Hints of grapefruit, mango and pineapple with a decent malt back bone that provides nice balance. Very bitter throughout with a slight alcohol warmth and bone dry finish. (735 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Deep golden with a slight amber tinge. Creates virtually no head. Honey sweetness with some allspice like spiciness. Very slight hop oiliness is also present in the aroma. I also get bananas as it warms. Very foamy on the first sip (without a carbonation bite). No noticeable sign of high ABV. Typical Belgian-style aromatic esters up front, but very muted and hard to determine any overriding characteristics. Very bitter back end without the pine or citrus from a West Coast IPA. IMO, a good example of combining two styles with results substantially below the sum of the parts. (580 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%

Thanks to my Cali trading trustee for this one. pours orange amber with a thin head into pint mug. Smell is great on this one with loads of breast yeast and bananas. Taste is bold and bitter but malty and the bananas continue to come through.

Bit alcoholic and metallic taste lingers on the finish. Overall a nice quaffable brew that hits the spot. (350 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%

I am big fan of Green Flash and I was intrigued by the idea of this blend. 22oz bottle poured into a large snifter. Orange yellow color with minimal head.

Alcohol and yeast dominate the nose with some earthiness poking through. The beer is kind of aggressive at first, it needed some time to open up in the glass. Warm and clumsy was my first impression but this gave way as it mellowed.

Fruity, yeasty and bitter with some spice. I felt like the hops punched through but are covered in syrup so they play nicely with the belgium half of this brew but unfortunatly are striped to the point of only imparting bitterness, which dominates the aftertaste. A very interesting beer but not my favorite example of the style. (720 characters)

Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.